Sharing your Dragon Ball Fandom with your kids!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Sharing your Dragon Ball Fandom with your kids!

Post by sangofe » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:23 pm

It all started with my daughter catching me watching Dragon Ball super in its first year of airing.

Since then we watched all DB in French (she understand a lot of French). And we got to the middle of the Freeza saga of the French DBZ Kai dub.

She's 7,5 now and we're watching DB again and she's also reading the Norwegian translation of Outland for the manga. Sometimes she reads for me, sometimes I for her. Sometimes we do voices together. We're having a great time!

It's so nice that she's interested in the show and we can share the interest! She's into the fourth volume now and is really getting faster to read this way!

I hope I can hear other stories of parents sharing their Dragon Ball interest!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Sharing your Dragon Ball Fandom with your kids!

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:43 am

That's really sweet. I'm glad that it's like that for you guys.

I don't have kids yet, but I don't imagine it'll be like that for me simply because by the time I have kids who can actually understand these things, all DB content will be even older.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:06 am

Don't have kids yet myself, but whenever I do it would definitely be nice to share my love of this series with them, and ultimately pass on all my manga and home media of it so they will always have them to remember me by.

I wouldn't worry about Dragon Ball being dated by the time anyone's kids are old enough to watch or read it. Dragon Ball is a timeless show and will always have new generations growing up with it.

Very happy for you sangofe and your daughter. Sounds like your both living the dream.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:05 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:43 am That's really sweet. I'm glad that it's like that for you guys.

I don't have kids yet, but I don't imagine it'll be like that for me simply because by the time I have kids who can actually understand these things, all DB content will be even older.
Doesn't matter how old it is!

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:58 pm

I don't have kids (not yet at this point), but I find it heartening that DB fans are introducing their children to a saga they loved and that their children are also appreciating the saga.

To more DB love!
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:32 am

Not even married, but for the past year I've really wanted to adopt a deaf child, and I bring that up because if I do decided to show them DB at a young age, I figured I'd show him or her either the Ocean dub to start or Kai's surviving Nicktoons run and create subtitles for it myself for them, since their both little kid friendly. I know that second option is REALLY obtuse, but hey, it's how I watched the show too, and I caught most episodes when they first aired, like the recordings, so I would've been watching as they were recorded, which I think is a little special; maybe I'm just corny. :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:56 am

KPike87 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:32 am Not even married, but for the past year I've really wanted to adopt a deaf child, and I bring that up because if I do decided to show them DB at a young age, I figured I'd show him or her either the Ocean dub to start or Kai's surviving Nicktoons run and create subtitles for it myself for them, since their both little kid friendly. I know that second option is REALLY obtuse, but hey, it's how I watched the show too, and I caught most episodes when they first aired, like the recordings, so I would've been watching as they were recorded, which I think is a little special; maybe I'm just corny. :lol:
Why wouldn't you start by DB? And why not read the manga?

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:04 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:56 am
KPike87 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:32 am Not even married, but for the past year I've really wanted to adopt a deaf child, and I bring that up because if I do decided to show them DB at a young age, I figured I'd show him or her either the Ocean dub to start or Kai's surviving Nicktoons run and create subtitles for it myself for them, since their both little kid friendly. I know that second option is REALLY obtuse, but hey, it's how I watched the show too, and I caught most episodes when they first aired, like the recordings, so I would've been watching as they were recorded, which I think is a little special; maybe I'm just corny. :lol:
Why wouldn't you start by DB? And why not read the manga?
The original DB might be a bit too ecchi for a little kid, at least to me, thought the edited Blue Water I'd imagine is safe. The manga though would make a fantastic and logical starting point, however.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:54 am

.I watched Dragon Ball with my daughter the first time. She preferred those parts.

And think about this : people are born naked. It's natural. It won't be unnatural for a kid to see these things People aren't born to beat each other up to a pulp. The violence is a far bigger problem than an old man grabbing some boobs and asses. In fact my daughter started running while throwing kicks and punches at me from seeing too much combat.

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:16 am

My oldest has read the whole manga and watched the whole show. He doesn't like it as much as I did growing up, but that's fine. Two of the boys younger than him will watch the movies or show if its, but they're still not super into it. My youngest two are a toddler and a newborn so there's really no interest in anything but PBS Kids and Cocomelon from them.
「あの地球人のように?・・・クリリンのことか・・・クリリンのことか————っ!!!!!!」

「オレは地球からきさまをたおすためにやってきたサイヤ人・・・おだやかな心をもちながらはげしい怒りによって目覚めた伝説の戦士・・・超サイヤ人孫悟空だ!!!!!」

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:34 am

Payne222 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:16 am My oldest has read the whole manga and watched the whole show. He doesn't like it as much as I did growing up, but that's fine. Two of the boys younger than him will watch the movies or show if its, but they're still not super into it. My youngest two are a toddler and a newborn so there's really no interest in anything but PBS Kids and Cocomelon from them.
That's cool to hear. Did you ever discuss things about dragon ball with the oldest? Or did you ever write down reactions when he watched episodes? I have a thread here where I wrote lots of reactions from my daugther the first time she watched it. She all preferred the toilet humor and nekkid stuff.

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:44 am

sangofe wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:34 am That's cool to hear. Did you ever discuss things about dragon ball with the oldest? Or did you ever write down reactions when he watched episodes? I have a thread here where I wrote lots of reactions from my daugther the first time she watched it. She all preferred the toilet humor and nekkid stuff.
I'll sometimes talk about it with him, but there's just too much going on with all the kids and their sports and other stuff to keep an account of any of that kinda stuff.
「あの地球人のように?・・・クリリンのことか・・・クリリンのことか————っ!!!!!!」

「オレは地球からきさまをたおすためにやってきたサイヤ人・・・おだやかな心をもちながらはげしい怒りによって目覚めた伝説の戦士・・・超サイヤ人孫悟空だ!!!!!」

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:41 am

Payne222 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:44 am
sangofe wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:34 am That's cool to hear. Did you ever discuss things about dragon ball with the oldest? Or did you ever write down reactions when he watched episodes? I have a thread here where I wrote lots of reactions from my daugther the first time she watched it. She all preferred the toilet humor and nekkid stuff.
I'll sometimes talk about it with him, but there's just too much going on with all the kids and their sports and other stuff to keep an account of any of that kinda stuff.
Right. I've only got one daughter and I'm alone with her when she's with me so it's very different. It's nice to talk about those things I think, though

Nagyzöld
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nagyzöld » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:13 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:54 am And think about this : people are born naked. It's natural. It won't be unnatural for a kid to see these things People aren't born to beat each other up to a pulp. The violence is a far bigger problem than an old man grabbing some boobs and asses.
Old men grabbing boobs and asses can also be a problem when kids are watching. Being born naked is natural, that ain't.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:33 am

Nagyzöld wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:13 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:54 am And think about this : people are born naked. It's natural. It won't be unnatural for a kid to see these things People aren't born to beat each other up to a pulp. The violence is a far bigger problem than an old man grabbing some boobs and asses.
Old men grabbing boobs and asses can also be a problem when kids are watching. Being born naked is natural, that ain't.
Why do you think so? Are you afraid they'll generalize and start doing that when they get older? That's much less likely than them adapting the violence. My daughter just finds it weird and funny. She started using the violence when she got too exposed by it.

I

Nagyzöld
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nagyzöld » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:13 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:33 am
Why do you think so? Are you afraid they'll generalize and start doing that when they get older? That's much less likely than them adapting the violence. My daughter just finds it weird and funny. She started using the violence when she got too exposed by it.

I
I meant the other way around. It's important to teach kids it's not normal older people wanting to grab intimate parts as much as teaching them it's not ok to engage into punching and kicking.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:05 am

Nagyzöld wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:13 am

I
I meant the other way around. It's important to teach kids it's not normal older people wanting to grab intimate parts as much as teaching them it's not ok to engage into punching and kicking.
Well, yeah but I don't think them seing an old man grabbing boobs will lead them to think it's OK grown ups do that on kids.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:24 am

sangofe wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:05 am

I
Well, yeah but I don't think them seing an old man grabbing boobs will lead them to think it's OK grown ups do that on kids.
I think Nagyzold’s point is that it normalizes sexual harassment or at least brushes it off as not a big deal. Kids do eventually grow up.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:47 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:24 am
sangofe wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:05 am

I think Nagyzold’s point is that it normalizes sexual harassment or at least brushes it off as not a big deal. Kids do eventually grow up.

Well, I dunno, it might be but honestly I don't think so. It'd be interesting to see research on this, though.