What would happen if the "My Boy Gohan" Crowd got their wish

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

What would happen if the "My Boy Gohan" Crowd got their wish

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:58 pm

I'll bite. What would happen if this radical and fresh move happened.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

precita
Banned

Re: What would happen if the "My Boy Gohan" Crowd got their wish

Post by precita » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:45 pm

I mean all people are asking for is Gohan to have the same role he had in DBZ. He doesn't have to defeat the main villain of a saga. But he should be right up there with Goku and Vegeta in most major battles.

It's very odd to see Gohan's role so severely reduced in the franchise. It's something I never thought would happen before Super's revival.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:46 pm

Gohan keeps training after Cell and stays the strongest and/or keeps his larger role, I guess.

I know this thread is intended to be mocking them, but that's it really.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:54 pm

I was actually really happy with how he was handled in late Super. He got to be a badass again, but it was kept within reason. We can't expect him to suddenly surpass Goku again after slacking off for ages. He's not replacing Goku at this point, but he can still be an awesome fighter in his own right, and a dedicated family man.

Although I admit there was that part of me that wanted to see him tear shit up like at the Cell Games.

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:14 pm

Then we'd have a better written main character to enjoy the series with.
We the ones

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:05 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:54 pm I was actually really happy with how he was handled in late Super. He got to be a badass again, but it was kept within reason. We can't expect him to suddenly surpass Goku again after slacking off for ages. He's not replacing Goku at this point, but he can still be an awesome fighter in his own right, and a dedicated family man.
This. They made Gohan a fighter again in a believable way and didn’t over do it and made him overpowered.

He sure as hell fared better than Videl and Goten and Trunks and Majin Boo

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:02 am

In Super they should have handled Gohan like this in each arc:

1. Beerus arc/Movie 14...he was handled fine, didn't have to do much here

2. Freeza/Movie 15...just simply look less pathetic when losing to Freeza and calling for Goku. The movie handled this better than the anime.

3. Universe 6 arc. Gohan really should have participated in this. Monaka wasn't needed and Gohan would have been more interesting to watch fight than Piccolo honestly. Either that or have Boo not fall asleep.

4. Zamasu/Goku Black arc. I'm mixed here, I don't think he needed to be included, but at the same time seeing Trunks fight alongside his former mentor would have been nice. They could have done a parallel with Gohan and the old Future Gohan that Trunks knew. But I'm not too bothered here.

5. TOP. He was handled really well for the most part, I just wish he got one huge final battle than just holding Dyspo.

6. Broly movie. He didn't need to appear.

From what i've seen of Moro he is handled alright, hopefully the anime does better.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:10 am

I think Trunks being inspired by Gohan’s peaceful family life was a nice touch in the Future Trunks arc but I would have loved if Gohan could have joined the main fighting cast so we could get the two fathers and sons fighting together and mixing up the pairings so you have things like this. Could make some fun fights and interactions.

Goku/Vegeta
Gohan/Trunks
Goku/Gohan
Vegeta/Trunks
Goku/Trunks
Vegeta/Gohan

That would have been great. I still hope for that somehow in the future but I am not sure if they will bring Future Trunks back anytime soon.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:30 am

I think he looking pathetic in Resurrection Freeza Arc would have worked great if he got motivated in the next arcs.

His Zen Exhibition Match really should have happened in Champa Arc, and his return to Ultimate form in Future Trunks Arc. Perhaps he could even have fused with Future Trunks with the Potara instead of Goku and Vegeta.

That could more or less justify how he achieved SSB level strength in a couple of days and would provide great character interactions. The build-up to his current strength would feel more earned, instead of just skipping his development right to that level.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:54 am

precita wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:02 am. Either that or have Boo not fall asleep.
The constant writing Boo out of the action was both annoying and unnecessary. It gives the impression the writers thought Boo was too powerful that he had to be written out to allow conflict but that’s not the case at all so why do it 3 separate times?!?

4. Zamasu/Goku Black arc. I'm mixed here, I don't think he needed to be included, but at the same time seeing Trunks fight alongside his former mentor would have been nice. They could have done a parallel with Gohan and the old Future Gohan that Trunks knew. But I'm not too bothered here.
Gohan being bad ass and reminding Future Trunks of the Future Gohan he knew would have completely undermined the whole Future Trunks accepting and being happy for who main timeline Gohan is rather than expecting him to be the Gohan he knew from his future and the Cell Games. I’m glad they didn’t go that route.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:37 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:54 am
precita wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:02 am. Either that or have Boo not fall asleep.
The constant writing Boo out of the action was both annoying and unnecessary. It gives the impression the writers thought Boo was too powerful that he had to be written out to allow conflict but that’s not the case at all so why do it 3 separate times?!?
In the third case at least, it was clearly done so the characters would have an excuse to recruit Freeza. For RF, I’m assuming it was done both because Toriyama thought Boo was too powerful (keep in mind that he also depowered Gohan in that same movie) and because he didn’t feel like writing an interaction where Freeza acknowledges that he’s fighting Majin Boo.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:17 pm

I dug that running gag of Buu falling asleep.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:39 pm

Toriyama realizes he wrote himself into a corner putting Gohan in the lead role but chooses to stay the course. He says "fuck it" and decides to make Gohan more like Goku to compensate; and in a bit of Toriyama-style comedic self-awareness, he writes a plot that involves Goku's sprit possessing Gohan. Gohan, with his father's spirit literally guiding him, becomes the strongest (again) and defeats the big bad (again); but fans cry foul because "Gohan didn't do it on his own".

I highly doubt Toriyama would have given Gohan fans the badass lead character they wanted even if he had stayed the course.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:58 pm

With his current personality I just can't imagine Gohan taking the lead, he doesn't have any interest in fighting, it's just something he does when he has no other choice. It would be out of character for him to start acting like Goku, always training and looking for new opponents. Gohan fights only when he's angry, Goku fights for fun, they're very different. I could see a spin off series with him, though, with slice of life, comedy, and Great Saiyaman antics, and maybe going on the occasional mission for the Galactic Patrol, that would be fun.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:54 pm

My understanding of this crowd is that they believe the Hype of Son Rice: strongest fighter with the most potential and whatnot. His big "thing" was flashy, angry explosions of power and ki that wiped the smug grin off his abusers and doubters' faces, culminating in Super Saiyan 2 and then the mastery of this power under the Elder Kaiōshin. It's similar to the unpopularity of Goten and Trunks, with people saying Goten is nowhere near as interesting as Gohan and Future Trunks is much more badass. They're not wrong obviously, but it misses the whole reason why these characters are the way they are. Canonically, or whatever, Gohan chose against being a warrior save for means of self-defense and occasionally sport.

Toriyama felt he was unfit to be the lead character of a manga like Dragon Ball precisely because of this. Dragon Ball's about a guy who lusts for battle and adventure but in a righteous way; that's what the manga's been about since 1984. Gohan would work as the protagonist if the story was instead about a super-strong martial artist who doesn't want to fight and instead raise a normal family and live a fairly normal life. This isn't a new development; that's how he's always been. He's always been a contrast to Son Goku's gung-ho love of combat. It's not that he won't fight or doesn't want to defend others— he just doesn't have that same drive.

Super's mistake wasn't not utilizing him, really, if he had no business being a part of the story (take his "role" in the Future Trunks arc— him living a peaceful, low-burn life was shown to be Future Trunks' dream come true. He didn't really need to do anything besides be happy). It was the inconsistencies thanks to the many directors and writers coming and going, the rushed nature of the last Z movies and their adaptations, and the fact the writers KNEW fans were awaiting a "triumphant return of Mah Boi Gohan" and constantly teased it and built it up, only for the anime to abruptly end on them before anything was resolved due to the 131 episode plan and no one expecting how big Super would get. I mean it was one of THE biggest pop cultural events of the 2010s and I'm convinced Toei didn't at all expect any of it— if they did, they might've written something more flashy for Gohan during the TOP.

We COULD have gotten Gohan wank if they wrote the story in that direction, but as with many things, it came down to the troubled development behind the scenes and rushed writing, even on Toriyama's part.

As for what would happen if we got that wish?

I mean, realistically, the same as whenever Vegeta, Freeza, Roshi, or Piccolo does something cool: memes, hype videos, Dragon Ball fanmovies doubling down on his badassery, Xenoverse/FighterZ mods of whatever new attack or form he's used, and pacified fans (for now) jerking each other off about how cool Gohan just was until the next dearth of badassery.
precita wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:45 pm I mean all people are asking for is Gohan to have the same role he had in DBZ. He doesn't have to defeat the main villain of a saga. But he should be right up there with Goku and Vegeta in most major battles.

It's very odd to see Gohan's role so severely reduced in the franchise. It's something I never thought would happen before Super's revival.
It was in Z that the "Mah Boi Gohan" thing started, thanks to him getting deep-shafted by Boo. And GT certainly didn't help by keeping him and just about everyone not Goku so irrelevant.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:50 am

The series rating would drop so much that it will get cancelled.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:31 am

I think we would have gotten a MUCH better continuation to Dragon Ball Z if Toriyama doubled down on continuing Gohan's story and handing the keys from Goku to Gohan.

The early parts of the Buu saga are great when Gohan was in High School. Finding out his dad is coming to visit.

Battle of Gods ended with a humble Goku who understood his limitations and that Beerus was far above him.

They should have continued to subvert expectations with Goku and had him mentor his kids, who have much more potential. And eventually, Uub and Pan. I think Goku is awesome and even touching when he's a family man and recognizes that he has limits. I would have loved to have seen this humble, wiser Goku to grow into a mentor and eventually a Grandfather.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:12 pm

I'll be honest, the only parts of Gohan's arc I really dislike are what was done with him in Resurrection F. I like that his character is his own person at the end of the day, and that his arc isn't akin to Goku's or Vegeta's.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:25 pm

Peach wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:31 am I think we would have gotten a MUCH better continuation to Dragon Ball Z if Toriyama doubled down on continuing Gohan's story and handing the keys from Goku to Gohan.

The early parts of the Buu saga are great when Gohan was in High School. Finding out his dad is coming to visit.

Battle of Gods ended with a humble Goku who understood his limitations and that Beerus was far above him.

They should have continued to subvert expectations with Goku and had him mentor his kids, who have much more potential. And eventually, Uub and Pan. I think Goku is awesome and even touching when he's a family man and recognizes that he has limits. I would have loved to have seen this humble, wiser Goku to grow into a mentor and eventually a Grandfather.
Who handed Goku the keys? No one. Goku took them. Goku knows he has limits. He's always know that. The point is that it doesn't stop him from trying to grow. I don't see those as antithetical or it shows a lack of wisdom.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:07 am

We're really going to be having this argument until the sun blows up.