English version with cool music???

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jean187

English version with cool music???

Post by Jean187 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:19 am

Hello,

I need help please, I am looking to watch a dragon ball Z version with the remastered music, for example when Goku is first transforming to SSJ1 there is a cool music, The only version I found is with a kinda lame music

This is the cool music I am talking about:
https://youtu.be/2om9tJsswKI

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: English version with cool music???

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:56 am

That's the Faulconer version. I like it but its not the original. And its not remastered. I dont know where you can watch the show with that music but I know people here will help you out.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:37 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0_vHiABxIuM

You’re right, the remastered music is way better than the original. Not only is the real cast back, but the composer does a fantastic job at the ost.

In all seriousness, you seem new to Dragon Ball, do yourself a favour and watch either the original, or Kai, subbed. You’ll get a real experience and you’ll have the fortune of not repeating the nonsensical changed garbage funimation puts out. Better yet, start from the beginning of the series and work your way up, it truly is a magical adventure.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:43 am

1. Buy the dvds or blue rays

2. Put disc in media player

3. Select set up option

4. Select English audio with US broadcast music option

Jean187

Post by Jean187 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:57 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:56 am That's the Faulconer version. I like it but its not the original. And its not remastered. I dont know where you can watch the show with that music but I know people here will help you out.
FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here's a link you guys!
https://watch-dbz52.funonline.co.in/dragon-ball-z/

Starting to watch it from the begining, it's amazing how much of an effect can the background music have.
I was watching now the version in funanimation with the crapy vampire background music for example when vegetta is going ssj for the first time,

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:20 am

FUNimation's mix with the dub voice cast and the original music by Shunsuke Kikuchi is admittedly hit-or-miss, as the volume levels of the music and the quality of the music track vary from episode to episode and movie to movie. That said, I highly recommend you watch DBZ from the beginning with Kikuchi's music (Faulconer didn't even compose the first 2-3 "seasons" anyway, so it's not like you're missing his music). I think over time you'll find it vastly superior to the Faulconer score. For that matter, try checking out the original Japanese voice cast as well! :D
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:03 am

Jean187 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:57 am FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here's a link you guys!
https://watch-dbz52.funonline.co.in/dragon-ball-z/

Starting to watch it from the begining, it's amazing how much of an effect can the background music have.
I was watching now the version in funanimation with the crapy vampire background music for example when vegetta is going ssj for the first time,
you do realize that website is ILLEGAL and piracy right?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:32 am

Yeah, Jean. You have to remove that link or risk a ban.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Jean187

Post by Jean187 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:14 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:32 am Yeah, Jean. You have to remove that link or risk a ban.
Won’t let me edit the reply, can an admin remove the link?

Jean187

Post by Jean187 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:16 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:20 am FUNimation's mix with the dub voice cast and the original music by Shunsuke Kikuchi is admittedly hit-or-miss, as the volume levels of the music and the quality of the music track vary from episode to episode and movie to movie. That said, I highly recommend you watch DBZ from the beginning with Kikuchi's music (Faulconer didn't even compose the first 2-3 "seasons" anyway, so it's not like you're missing his music). I think over time you'll find it vastly superior to the Faulconer score. For that matter, try checking out the original Japanese voice cast as well! :D
Where can I check out those different versions legally? I saw some DVDs in the original DBZ web site, but is it not possible to buy the digital version of it? BLUrays and dvds are so old

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:51 pm

Jean187 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:16 am

Where can I check out those different versions legally? I saw some DVDs in the original DBZ web site, but is it not possible to buy the digital version of it? BLUrays and dvds are so old
Not really sure what "other" versions you are referring to. He was saying you should give Kikuchi (the "crapy" vampire background music you are speaking of) a fair shot from the beginning and to check out the show in the original Japanese. Although based on your rhetoric so far in this thread I feel that it may not be your cup of tea.

The "Blu rays and DVDs are so old" comment is really strange also. There was a very recent Blu ray release. Any of the official releases would be an improvement over watching it on a 3rd party illegal site.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:59 pm

It can be a bit jarring to switch from the dub to the sub entirely, which is why I usually reccomend fans ease their way in by watching the first three "seasons" with the dub and the original music first. Plus, as I mentioned earlier, since Faulconer never composed music for those episodes, technically one isn't missing the Faulconer score anyway.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

McDonaldsGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by McDonaldsGuy » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:59 pm

Jean187 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:57 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:56 am That's the Faulconer version. I like it but its not the original. And its not remastered. I dont know where you can watch the show with that music but I know people here will help you out.
FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here's a link you guys!
gon-ball-z/

I agree. Falcouner's score is just so much better. DBZ's music fits in Dragon Ball, but not DBZ. DBZ is more science fiction based than Hong Kong martial arts based for example. So the music fits way more.

Nosferatu93
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nosferatu93 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:30 pm

Imagine watching star wars with a different ost. Same thing here. Kikuchi is dbz . As john williams is star wars. No debate.

You dont even understand db if u think that.
Hellsing

McDonaldsGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by McDonaldsGuy » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:28 pm

Nosferatu93 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:30 pm Imagine watching star wars with a different ost. Same thing here. Kikuchi is dbz . As john williams is star wars. No debate.

Disagree. DBZ music is Hong Kong 70s-type music, while DBZ is Sci-Fi. It fits DB which is martial arts based, but not DBZ. Star Wars has samurai/western influences, but the music fits Sci-Fi. I remember watching the Freeza vs. Goku fight in Japanese, and nearly burst out laughing when the original Dragon Ball theme started to play while they fought.

There's a reason DBZ video game OSTs for the SNES and PlayStation don't sound like the show and why Super's OST sounds more like Falcouner.

EDIT: I will say though that the best Japanese DBZ music like Solid State Scouter, Battle Points, and Unmei >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Falcouner.

Nosferatu93
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nosferatu93 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:48 pm

There is no disagree it doesnt matter. No other country changed the music and it still was a hit pretty much everywhere. Usa is just idiotic to even do something like that, as i said imagine if they changed star wars music too which is as iconic. Db is the star wars of shonen anime.

I lay dbz success a lot in the ost because it nails the emotional scenes. Changing ost is just disrespecting. Nobody does such things dont know who shat in their heads.
Hellsing

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:58 pm

McDonaldsGuy wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:28 pm
Nosferatu93 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:30 pm Imagine watching star wars with a different ost. Same thing here. Kikuchi is dbz . As john williams is star wars. No debate.

Disagree. DBZ music is Hong Kong 70s-type music, while DBZ is Sci-Fi. It fits DB which is martial arts based, but not DBZ. Star Wars has samurai/western influences, but the music fits Sci-Fi. I remember watching the Freeza vs. Goku fight in Japanese, and nearly burst out laughing when the original Dragon Ball theme started to play while they fought.

There's a reason DBZ video game OSTs for the SNES and PlayStation don't sound like the show and why Super's OST sounds more like Falcouner.

EDIT: I will say though that the best Japanese DBZ music like Solid State Scouter, Battle Points, and Unmei >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Falcouner.
Breh, what???? Just because DBZ has some surface level sci-fi elements doesn't make it any less a martial arts series. There were Wuxia movies at the time doing the exact same type of stuff Dragon Ball Z was doing. The most sci-fi Dragon Ball Z gets is the Android saga, which is basically "Kung-Fu but with Terminator's plot.

The video game OSTs is...such a bizarre point. The video game OSTs for the SNES and PS1 sound that way because...well, that's just how fighting games sounded back then! The SNES, I mean c'mon - that's a 16bit console. Not even worth mentioning. And for PS1, the games' soundtracks are exactly what was in line with other fighting game OST's like Street Fighter. By the time the Budokai games came around, Yamamoto was making music that was a blend of the series OST and contemporary rock. By your logic, Toei should've been inclined to go tehcno for Kai, but instead it was just like the Budokai soundtrack.

Buu Kai and Early Super's soundtracks sound the way they do because Toei gave Sumitomo neither the money nor the time to compose and arrange more elaborate stuff. And so with limited time, Sumitomo went with the synthesizer to make life easier. And it was largely TERRIBLE. By the time we get to the Tournament of Power and Broly, it's all orchestral stuff.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:41 pm

Every time someone pulls the ol “Faulconer music fits Z better because Z is Sci-fi” I die on the inside. How hard is to just say “I like this music better” or “This is what I grew up with so this is how I prefer it” no need to justify with some bs logic that a completely clueless company that couldn’t even get info on the show it was dubbing right just knew the series better than Toei or all the other companies that dubbed the show and left the music alone.

You’re just gonna snap your back in two making a reach that bad.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:00 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:41 pm Every time someone pulls the ol “Faulconer music fits Z better because Z is Sci-fi” I die on the inside. How hard is to just say “I like this music better” or “This is what I grew up with so this is how I prefer it” no need to justify with some bs logic that a completely clueless company that couldn’t even get info on the show it was dubbing right just knew the series better than Toei or all the other companies that dubbed the show and left the music alone.

You’re just gonna snap your back in two making a reach that bad.
Yeah honestly...you can like one more than the other but to suggest Faulconer is the way Z was meant to be heard is absurd...it was purely a cheesy replacement soundtrack in an effort to make it more like an American cartoon. In no way does it fit with Dragon Ball. Period.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

McDonaldsGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by McDonaldsGuy » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:29 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:58 pm
McDonaldsGuy wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:28 pm

Breh, what???? Just because DBZ has some surface level sci-fi elements doesn't make it any less a martial arts series. There were Wuxia movies at the time doing the exact same type of stuff Dragon Ball Z was doing. The most sci-fi Dragon Ball Z gets is the Android saga, which is basically "Kung-Fu but with Terminator's plot.

The video game OSTs is...such a bizarre point. The video game OSTs for the SNES and PS1 sound that way because...well, that's just how fighting games sounded back then! The SNES, I mean c'mon - that's a 16bit console. Not even worth mentioning. And for PS1, the games' soundtracks are exactly what was in line with other fighting game OST's like Street Fighter. By the time the Budokai games came around, Yamamoto was making music that was a blend of the series OST and contemporary rock. By your logic, Toei should've been inclined to go tehcno for Kai, but instead it was just like the Budokai soundtrack.

Buu Kai and Early Super's soundtracks sound the way they do because Toei gave Sumitomo neither the money nor the time to compose and arrange more elaborate stuff. And so with limited time, Sumitomo went with the synthesizer to make life easier. And it was largely TERRIBLE. By the time we get to the Tournament of Power and Broly, it's all orchestral stuff.
Akira Toriyama is a huge fan of western Sci-Fi movies, and by DBZ, that started to take over. Aliens, space ships, other planets. I've seen a bunch of Wuxia movies and absolutely none of them were like the Freeza saga. Shoot, rejuvenation tanks were literally straight from The Empire Strikes back. And as you mentioned, the Android Saga is Dragon Ball 2: Judgement Day. Human-oid robots that kill 99% of the planet in the future; the robots turned against their creator within seconds; a kid with a bowl cut is the future's last hope; etc. etc. The Wuxia influences are all but gone by then (they were gone pretty much the second Raditz showed up). By then, saying DBZ is Wuxia would be like saying Star Wars is samurai because they fight with swords or a western because they use blasters.

And one other thing I hate about the Japanese music is that they re-used everything all the time. For example:

When Goku takes the offensive, you get this theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WKcOoPontY

when Freeza kicks Goku's ass, it's the same exact theme (go to 2:22): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_S1dFsbqG4

Someone mentioned John Williams earlier. John knew not to give Luke the same theme as Vader did. In the Japanese dub, the music doesn't fit what you see a LOT of the times.

Kai fixed a lot of those problems (when 50% Freeza kicks Goku's ass the music is more ominous now for example) but I don't like it.

Then Falcouner just did way better in epic moments. Vegeta's Final Flash, Goku going Super Saiyan 3, Vegeta turning Super Saiyain, Gohan killing Cell.... HNNNNGGGG. Oh man, makes me want to rewatch those moments.

When Krillin says "TRUNKS LET'S GET OUT!" then the piano starts then "FIIINAAL FLASH!!" HNNNNNNGGGGGGG.......