Super Saiyan Blue appreciation thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Super Saiyan Blue appreciation thread

Post by SSJgogeto » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:12 pm

I like the form, actually. I didn't like it at first, but somehow Blue grew on me after some time.

IMO Blue is more or less like SS2: both forms have slight and subtle differences (in the hair and aura) between them and the classic Super Saiyan.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:40 pm

Blue suffered from an underwhelming introduction but it has grown on me over the years. As has been said already, it's no small feat that Super Saiyan Blue has been the 'default' transformation for so many arcs in a row. Even the original Super Saiyan barely managed that. I disliked how the anime gradually made it look more turquoise rather than electric blue, but it always looks great in the coloured manga and Super: Broly (though in the latter, it's more cobalt). It's cool that there's so many variations: Completed, Kaioken, Evolved, UI Sign-merged.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:21 am

When it comes to both god forms, I have mixed feelings on them. When it comes to the look alone, they vary wildly between weird/ugly and looking cool. The video games never seem to get them right either.

I do wish they had waited a little longer to introduce us to Blue, giving God more time to shine. But I do enjoy the form, and at least the manga found a way to keep God form relevant, even though the anime made us wait until the Broly movie to even see Vegeta use the form (which looked awesome on him, BTW).

Still don't understand though, if you can combine Super Saiyan with Super Saiyan God, why can't Super Saiyan 2 or 3 be combined with Super Saiyan God? I know, that would have been predictable, but at least give us some reason why. Maybe have Piccolo ask Goku why he doesn't go Super Saiyan Blue 3, and Goku responds that it doesn't work that way, because the energy is completely different. Something like that. When Goku revealed he had a way to go stronger from Blue during the Universal Tournament, I thought, "Oh, boy. This is it. Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan 2." But nope, we got rocket pop form instead. lol

BTW, Super Saiyan Blue + Kaioken? Very interesting concept. I like the explanation they give to justify Kaioken being relevant again. Turned out trying to use Kaioken with chaotic Super Saiyan energy would have been suicide, but God ki is calm, making it Kaiokenable. But boy is it ugly! Same with Evolution. TOEI keeps trying to make a better version of Blue, and they keep coming out ugly.

Overall, though, I do like Blue. It has its problems, but the original Super Saiyan is the only one that's basically perfect. Super Saiyan 2 is just the same thing, but spikier and with electricity sparking from it. Super Saiyan 3 has been my personal favorite, but it comes out of nowhere, and it does look a little goofy and weird. Super Saiyan 4 is the absolute weirdest of them all, ditching the yellow hair for the base form black hair color, always being half-naked, with the red body fur covering part if their torso and arms, and the bruised looking eyelids... It's so weird, yet it has its fans for a reason. It's really cool looking, especially SS4 Gogeta, who has a more cohesive design with the red hair. Blue is just another in a long line of imperfect followups to Super Saiyan, but it's still cool in its own right.