How would you remake and rewrite the Majin Buu Saga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PanSimpson
Banned

How would you remake and rewrite the Majin Buu Saga?

Post by PanSimpson » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:44 am

If you could completely redo the Majin Buu Saga, how would you change things to the story to fit your liking?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How would you remake and rewrite the Majin Buu Saga?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:43 pm

Keep Fat Buu as the only version of Majin Buu. None of the other forms were as interesting or as fun and just felt like the same big bad we been getting since Daimao. (Buuhan is pretty dope looking design was though the turtle hermit school gi makes anyone look good) make everyone happy by having all 5 Saiyans defeat him with a combined Kamehameha/Galic Gun blast.

Instead of Oob Goku takes Pan off to train because reasons I guess.

Yellowhex616

Post by Yellowhex616 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:50 pm

Well personally, I wouldn't change much other than take out the irrelevant stuff, like the fact that Super Saiyan 3 Goku went against Buutenks in the anime but not in the manga. He also double-teams with Vegeta against Buuhan in the anime, he never did this in the manga.

He also never had to power up even more when fused as Super Vegerot (Vegito) to overcome Buuhan's dimension tearing vice-shout, because it never happened in the manga! Goku also never fought round worms inside Buu's body! And don't even get me started on the fake Z-fighters, a plain Super Saiyan Goku being stronger than Ultimate Gohan makes no sense to me!

Yes, according to Daizenshuu 7, the fake Gohan was just as strong as the real one and since Buu only ever fought Ultimate Gohan, it stands to reason that his thought form is scalable to that Gohan! And if you watch Super Saiyan Goku was overpowering him!

Power scalers use this as in an excuse to say that in the anime, because Goku was 1/100 of his size and powerlevel and that the Gohan in Buu's body was scalable to Ultimate Gohan, that as a Super Saiyan Goku was over 100 times stronger than Ultimate Gohan!

But then why would Super Saiyan 2 Goku and Vegeta need to team up against Super Buu's avatar inside his own body? If either of them was stronger than Ultimate Gohan they wouldn't need to, because Ultimate Gohan is stronger than base Super Buu!

I think the Ultimate Gohan in Buu's body was relatively scalable just like Goku was! Goku was 1/100 of his size and power, obviously thought form Ultimate Gohan would be aswell! I'd say at best this made Goku about 5 to 10 times stronger than Ultimate Gohan as a Super Saiyan!

If Kid Buu was stronger than Super Saiyan 3 Goku obviously he would be the strongest Buu, but this wouldn't be the case in the manga! Plus things can get misinterpreted, everybody thinks that Goku says: "But he's still stronger than either of us, if we go out there he's going to kill us!"

Because of this line everyone thinks base Super Buu is stronger than Super Saiyan 3 Goku! But in the manga, he says: "But he's still stronger than either of us, he'll kill us if we go out like this!" Basically what Goku is saying is that their power has been reduced by their decreased size and they no longer stand a chance.

It's ironic that since Goku is now so much stronger having gotten big zenkai gains that he should be able to crush Buu that this is never addressed. How much sense would it make for Ultimate Gohan to be stronger than base Super Buu, yet base Super Buu is stronger than Super Saiyan 3 Goku, yet Super Saiyan 3 Goku is far stronger than Ultimate Gohan?

The only thing I have a problem with in the Buu saga is that the anime has sloppy, inconsistent power scaling! The only reason both Goku and Vegeta need to team up on Super Buu's avatar is because Buu is standing immobile on the cliff and channeling all of his power into his head avatar!

For all we know Super Buu's avatar is able to access most of the full sized Super Buu's power, which logically would still make him much stronger than Goku and Vegeta! However, the only thing that is established is that base Super Buu's avatar is immortal inside his own body!

I think the way that Goku casually dismisses Buuiccolo as disappointing and that Gohan alone can handle him, makes me think that Super Saiyan 3 Goku was stronger than Ultimate Gohan when he was revived and Buuiccolo, but he obviously doesn't get the same zenkai gains in the manga!

At best Kid Buu would be about as strong as Buutenks in the manga, as Super Saiyan 3 Goku is clearly afraid of Buutenks when Buutenks is about to attack him! Obviously Kid Buu is the strongest Buu in the anime, no question about it, but in the manga it's a different story!

I wouldn't necessarily mind if Super Saiyan 3 Goku still fought Buutenks in the anime and teamed up with Vegeta against Buuhan or even the lengthier fight between Super Vegerot (Vegito) and Buuhan! But they should cut out all the stuff in Buu's body and leave it the way it was in the manga, it just complicates matters!

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:01 pm

If i could go back in time, and become Toriyama-sensei editor...
- Drop Vegeta obsession with Kakarotto (no Majin Vegeta)
- Have Goku be less of jerk (No letting Majin Buu go, and then push responsibility to kids)
- Hire better person responsible for drawings, art quality took noticable drop in Majin Buu Saga
- If Toriyama-sensei really felt burnout, i would let him make that slice-of-life part featuring Gohan in school
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Wizard Sesame
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wizard Sesame » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:28 pm

One big change I would make is that Dabura would teach Piccolo the fusion technique on his deathbed, alluding to the idea that the gods have a fusion technique themselves, as well.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:42 pm

Keep Goku the fuck out of it and have Vegeta's sacrifice work in some limited way.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:22 pm

I would bin it and just let Toriyama do comedy ala 18 vs Mr Satan until his batteries were recharged.

But if I absolutely had to rewrite it I'd drag out the superhero stuff, using it as a launching board for the introduction of Spopovich. The way Babidi's minions gather power has a lot of potential to create suspense if why and what they were doing was hid from the audience. All Gohan and Videl would know (at first) is that once meak, mild mannered people are suddenly becoming freakishly strong masochists throwing themselves into dangerous situations. Everytime Videl or Gohan manage to subdue one of them they start to shout crazy shit like 'Babidi! Babidi! Blood and souls for my lord Badidi!"

This section of the arc will be a much needed about reintroduction to Gohan. It's been seven years! He'll need hobbies and interests (the dorkier the better) and a much more concrete goal than 'being a scholar.' A scholar of what? One of the reasons early Goku was so easy to get invested in, was how clear his objectives always. He wanted to get stronger to compete in a martial arts tournament, he wanted to get his grandfather's keepsake back, he wanted to restore Upa's father to life, he wanted to win a martial arts tournament, he wanted to avenge Krillin, he wanted to win a martial arts tournament. You always know what Goku wants, how close he is to getting it, and what he has to do next. 'Being a scholar' is too vague to carry any forward momentum and too distant a goal to readily tie back into the plot.

So for the sake of simplicity (and because the games all love this idea) Gohan is looking into making ki sciencey without sacrificing the inner peace bullshit that Freeza's soldiers were ignorant of. He's a fucking nerd who modeled his superhero costume after the morning serials he watches with Goten and Trunks. He built the watch thing himself and there's a scouter/reader thingy in his visor. He's basically NiteOwl from Watchmen except not suffering from depression.

Videl still figures out Gohan is the great Saiyaman, bullies him into teaching her ki control, develops a crush yada-yada but, to help round out the new cast, Sharpner joins in on the lessons. He becomes resentful of Videl's progress as well as Gohan's natural ability, setting him up to eventually fall under Babidi's spell. He'll be a late game spanner in the works, foiling the heroes just as they think they've averted Buu's release.

After Videl is almost killed by Spopovich (we're gonna really play up the creepy aspets here. Dark alley, middle of the night, the works) Gohan flies into a rage and literally crushes him, transforming into SSj2 in the process. The outburst alerts Babidi to Gohan's existence and power, giving the wizard to start peering into the boy's life and eventually revealing the location of the last generation of warriors. When his father's former friends start disappearing, Gohan goes to ask Dende for help. Dende is uncharacteristically cagey, not answering Gohan's questions and insisting that as Earth's god he can't get involved. As Gohan leaves, the Kaioshin is comes out from behind a pillar and congratulates Dende on handeling the confrontation so well. Dende admits he feels like a scumbag for manipulating Gohan and allowing the events transpiring on Earth to go uncontested but that if it is the will of the Kaioshin, he must obey.

The Kaioshin is going to be the one to clue Gohan in about the "mystic" state. This will be later on, once the fight against Buu goes tits up and the Kaioshin flees with Gohan (as a sidenote, rather than people being dead when absorbed or eaten by Buu, they'll just be being slowly digested. This will be why atempts to revive Tenshinhan, Chiaotzu, and Yamcha will fail and ultimately why the cast will assume Gohan can't be revived when he disappears) but rather than it being "unleashed potential" or whatever it was, Kaioshin will explain that Gohan is a freak in the same way Freeza was. And like Freeza, Gohan's transformations don't give him increase his power, instead they just release what was already there.

Things escalate when a group of Babidi's minions (maybe including Yakon or Pui) attack Vegeta at Capsule Corp. Vegeta is somewhat out of practice but still tenacious enough to put away his attackers. Videl is first on the scene, congratulating Vegeta on being so strong. Unfortunately she unknowingly insults him when she says 'you may even be as strong as Gohan!' Vegeta scoffs before going away in silence. There's maybe a scene here where he wistfully thinks about his first fight against Goku. He shakes his head, going to make sure Trunks and Bulma weren't hurt in the fighting. This is meant as bait for the audience, who'll naturally assume Vegeta is going to betray the group because he still secretly wishes to be the strongest.

Vegeta does but rather betraying the heroes, he'll use it to trick Babidi into "possessing" him. Like in the manga Vegeta will retain control and throw himself at Buu. Piccolo still warns him that with the evil he's committed, he's likely damned and also throws in a line about how the corrupting power of Babidi will surely make the fall to hell more certain. Vegeta will dismiss him with some cool liner. (I, being uncool, can't think of one. Maybe something like 'I never expected there to be cherubs waiting for me.') Same death scene plays.

Another sidenote, all the shit Yamcha was doing in manga (flying the plane, gathering dragon balls, ect) will be done by Erasa and Bulma.

The Budokai still happens (as a b-plot) but Goten, Trunks, and 18 are the only entrants from the "Dragon" group. Trunks and Goten still do the Mighty Mask thing and 18 still extorts Mr Satan for money in the final fight. This plot merges with the mainplot when Vegeta dies and Trunks flies off to see what's wrong with his father.

Anyway, I've got more ideas but this is already too much fanwankery on my part and I've got like 30 hours of ninja films to watch.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:15 pm

Commit to Gohan being the protagonist so that Goku no longer makes an appearance. Vegeta is the old guard along with Piccolo and is the only remaining warrior still "in shape". Focus more on Gohan, Goten and Trunks being the next generation having to step up, and feel the loss of Vegeta having to sacrifice himself. The ending would be reworked as Gohan starting to train his daughter Pan.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:41 pm

Maybe have Gohan help fight Buu and smooth out the incoherent plot and no SSJ3 but I like how it ended.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:38 am

I'd really just smooth out the whole middle portion starting after Vegeta's death and not just drop Gohan's entire character arc.

There's some logical problems, what with nobody ever realizing that Gohan was never brought back from the earlier wish, and basically everything surrounding the fusion dance training.

So after Goku announces Gohan and Vegeta are dead, Yamcha clarifies that wish should've revived everyone, meaning Gohan was never dead in the first place. Goku searches the entire universe and finds Gohan, Supreme Kai, and Kibito all the way out in Other World. He reaches out telepathically and they discuss their plan. Goku's cool with it because it means he doesn't have to fight Buu himself and the kids can defeat him, not a relic of the past - but they need a contingency plan on Earth. So he teaches the kids fusion.

When Buu and Babidi target West City, Goku simply warps to Buu and tells him he'll have an opponent ready in THIRTY MINUTES if he simply doesn't kill people between now and then. Babidi doesn't buy it, so Goku just kills him, shocking his friends who didn't realize he had such a mean streak. Buu's like "Yeah I didn't like that guy anyway." So Goku gets Buu to wait on the principle of a favor for a favor, and then goes and teaches the boys fusion in the Time Chamber. It took him a week to learn it, and one week is 30 minutes in the outside world, hence the promise.

30 minutes later, Goku and the boys come out and warp to Buu...but Goten and Trunks choke under pressure and wind up as fat Gotenks! Such is the folly of relying on kids. With no other recourse, Goku unveils Super Saiyan 3. He curses the fact that his plan to prepare the new generation for his absence didn't go how he planned, but it looks like he'll have to pull out one last bit of heroics for the road. They fight, and just as Goku is about to prepare the killshot, his Earth energy expires. As soon as he's back in Other World, he goes to the Supreme Kai realm and fills Gohan in.

With literally no viable options, Fat Gotenks challenges Buu...to a pie eating contest. In process, they wind up bonding over a shared love of food until time expires. Once Gotenk splits back up, the tykes promise to have Chi-Chi bake Buu tons of food as long as he promises not kill people anymore, and Buu complies! Meanwhile, Elder Kai promises to unleash Gohan's power is he can feel Bulma up. So the fate of the universe relies not on Gohan, Goten, and Trunks, but their mothers.

Now from there, I have no clue where to go because I still want to keep Buu and Satan's friendship and Super Buu. And the entire Kid Buu portion is just so fucking good but it sacrifices everything that had been built before then. But what I'm thinking is, Gohan and the gang ending up on the Supreme Kai planet after Buu blows up the Earth in a temper tantrum when Gohan kicks his ass. There's a climactic fight where just about anything that can happen, does, culminating in Vegeta returning and making a big save. Maybe pay off the fusion stuff :shock: . Gohan would play a big role here, too, and eventually when everything's all said and done, everybody gets wished back, including Vegeta, while Goku remains dead but is happy his boys did a good job, even if they needed his help.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:47 am

Give a bigger role to Shin the Supreme Kai, don't make him look like a clown after that badass introduction.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:12 am

Goku stays dead, Vegeta makes camoes at best and Gohan, Goten and Trunks become the central characters in Great Saiyaman antics.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:28 am

I don't know why people love the whole "next generation" idea. Goku's generation are the next gen. Their time isn't up yet.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:03 am

ABED wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:28 am I don't know why people love the whole "next generation" idea. Goku's generation are the next gen. Their time isn't up yet.
It's pretty mystifying. I'd have Goku keep the same level of involvement but stay dead, but at the same time, with the main character permanently out of the picture now and at peace with it, there's basically nowhere for the story to go anymore. But as we already figured out from that other thread...
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:23 am

I love the way it was handled, I probably wouldn't change a single thing about it not to risk upsetting what's already a fantastic story. If I had to, though, I'd probably try to differentiate Super Boo personality-wise a bit more from Cell, especially after he absorbs Gohan but I already think he's distinct enough because of his slightly more childish behavior.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:32 pm

Get rid of Kid Buu because it made things way too confusing. Just have the final battle be Goku vs. Super Buu instead.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:10 pm

I love the Buu arc so I wouldn't change much. Anything I come up with would just amount to fleshing out what's already there.

But off the top of my head:

I've always had the sense that Buu kind of "evolves" as a personality with each transformation. He starts off innocent and naive, gains agency and becomes actively evil as Super Buu, becomes more intelligent and eloquent when he absorbs Piccolo and co.; and then it's all reversed when he's "devolved" into Kid Buu.

I've always found this aspect of Buu interesting and think this could be fleshed out into some kind of actual character arc for him. Perhaps start with the mindless Kid Buu first then turn him into Fat Buu next (perhaps by having him absorb Kaioshin) where he gains innocence and the ability to be reasoned with, then have the stuff with Mr.Satan and Bee and the gunmen happen so Super Buu can emerge, gaining agency but choosing to be evil because he enjoys inflicting death and destruction (perhaps have him admit that it felt really good to kill the gunmen that wronged him as the springboard for undoing the breakthrough Mr.Satan had with Fat Buu). After that, have him absorb Piccolo and Gotenks to achieve his "ultimate" form where he gains great intelligence and eloquence in addition to power, reaching his full potential and effectively becoming a full on "adult" in a parallel to how the original Kid Buu and Fat Buu were effectively children, with base Super Buu acting as a transition to that (a "teen" Buu maybe?). Then have him devolved back into Kid Buu as punishment for his actions- losing the sentience and intelligence he gained throughout the arc along with his power, ending in his complete destruction and rebirth as Uub.

Again, this is just rearranging and fleshing out what already happens in the Buu arc we got.

Also, while I would largely have him play the same role, perhaps throw in something for Gohan to give him the closure so many of his fans feel he never got. I would also have Gotenks play the same role as well. And I would keep Goku in the story since I think Buu works better as a foil for him than either Gohan or Vegeta.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:05 pm

Change Gohan's design, particularly his hairstyle.

Increase the high school episodes.

Work Erasa and Sharpner into the rest of the saga.

Maybe don't have the gang just sitting around up at God's place.

Have Piccolo actually fight somehow. You know something is wrong when Piccolo doesn't remove his cape and turban the entire saga.

Tone down the Gotenks silliness and up the seriousness on Super Boo.

Get rid of the Vegetto foolishness and the fighting candy. As well as the insufferable episodes inside Boo's stomach.

Honestly the entire section beginning with Gotenks vs Boo in Heaven on until Kid Boo should be reworked completely. It's probably the lowest point of the whole series.

Keep the original scene involving Blonde Lunch instead of #17 during the Genki Dama sequence.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:12 am

Focus on Gohan and Videl, both as a couple and as fighters. Have Gohan and Videl already know each other, maybe meeting in cram school a week after the Cell Game and being friends. Remove the tournament format and let them investigate Spopovitch and Yamu. Make Spopovitch and Yamu enemies that Gohan and Videl encounter in the first episode, with Videl initially owning Spopovitch in a fight, which leads to his joining Babidi.

Make Videl as strong as Super Saiyan Gohan right from the beginning. Have Gohan and Videl face off against Spopovitch and Yamu in a rematch, Spopovitch edging out Videl and forcing Gohan to dig deeper than he has in seven years to save Videl from Spopovitch and Yamu's double team attack.

While healing with Dende at the Heavenly Realm they are visited by Shin and Kibito...and Gokuu?!

Cut to a flashback showing Gokuu breaking the Z Sword and the Old Man giving him his life so that he can help Shin and Kibito who have been recruited by Beelezebub to help stop his Uncle Darbra from working with Babidi to cause trouble in the Human Realm.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:04 am

Yuji wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:23 am I love the way it was handled, I probably wouldn't change a single thing about it not to risk upsetting what's already a fantastic story. If I had to, though, I'd probably try to differentiate Super Boo personality-wise a bit more from Cell, especially after he absorbs Gohan but I already think he's distinct enough because of his slightly more childish behavior.
Exactly. That childish, goofy behavior is a trait that's present in all of Buu's forms. It's what makes him stand out from all the other major villains and is largely what defines him as a character. Even after he becomes more eloquent, formal, and Cell-like, that aspect of him is still there- it's just hidden underneath all the wordy bluster.