How would you remake and rewrite the Majin Buu Saga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Big Boss
Regular

Re: How would you remake and rewrite the Majin Buu Saga?

Post by Big Boss » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:09 pm

I would have kept everything the same up until Mr Satan befriends Buu, but instead of having an abrupt introduction to Super Buu I would have kept Fat Buu around and explored his split personality traits more and make that the focal point of the arc coupled with his complex and dynamic relationship with Mr Satan who frantically tries to keep him in check. The finale of the arc would have Mr Satan sacrifice himself in someway to save Earth and Buu's good side from the evil inside which would lead to the Good Buu we know today. Mr Satan would be revived with the Dragon Balls, but it would be a fitting conclusion to his character arc going from a bumbling fool in the Cell Games to an actual savior of the Earth. As for how the main cast would be integrated in this interpretation, I have no clue. I just made this crap up as I went along, much in the spirit of Toriyama.

McDonaldsGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by McDonaldsGuy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:59 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:42 am I don't understand this TV special argument. It has nothing to do with the arc's quality, because it's OUTSIDE the arc, it happens 40 years before or 20 years after. If anything, it makes the arc look unfinished because it requires an outside source to help finish it up and tie its loose ends. But that'd also be unfair to say.

It could've gotten a TV special regarding Buu's initial rampage and the decimation of the kaioshin... but how appealing would've been to have a boring protagonist as Shin? it would also be weird to have a TV special from the demon's perspective, as the protagonist. Toei chosed to tell it in a flashback format, in 9 minutes instead of 40. The Buu arc didn't need a TV Special to tell its story.

Bardock's special had a badass Goku to tell something that had nothing to do with the current arc, as in it didn't move the story forward, it was something that happened 40 years ago. It was about a character, not about the story that was currently being told.
And Trunks' Special was about Trunks, not about the arc.
I am not arguing quality. I actually do like a lot of the Buu saga.

I am arguing about the substance of it. The reason you can't do a Buu TV special is because there is nothing there. There's no connection or escalation - Buu appears, people get more powerful, and it's over. Not much to work with. With Freeza, you had things like the Saiyan (and thus Goku's) history, space, strongest being in the galaxy, entire races under subjugation, genocide, etc. etc. With Cell, you had androids, time travel, biological experiments, the entire Z Fighters getting wiped out brutally, the virtual (real) extinction of humanity, etc. etc.

There was so much to explore with the Freeza/Cell arcs. Masenko-Ha said it best: Toei writers found a lot they wanted to explore.

That's my problem with the Buu saga. You for example mention the decimation of the Kaioshin, but who cares about them? East Kaioshin was there to move the plot along and explain things. He barely qualifies as a character. We have no personal connection to them unlike the Saiyans or Trunks/Gohan. That's why the Bardock special focuses on Goku's dad. No one would really care much about random Saiyan BrusProut or Tato.

Actually, I like your idea about a new perspective, and it goes on to show what I mean: the Buu saga should've been different than the others. It was just more of the same, and people were finally tuning out. The Great Saiyaman's massive ratings in both Japan and the USA show people were ready for the next saga (people who say fans wanted the series over after Freeza are delusional).

Buu saga should've been time for Toriyama to really explore, instead he rested on his laurels. I do think at this point he was just tired.

Hypersayian
Banned

Post by Hypersayian » Tue May 18, 2021 11:55 am

Let Gohan die at the hand of Fat Buu - let Goku and Vegeta and Gohan train with the Z sword - let the elder Kai unleash the hidden power of all 3 and give his life to ressurect all 3 of them - but make the power increase less dramatic than in the original.

No kid buu or super buu either - Fat Buu absorbs Gotenks and Piccolo after beeing outmatched by SSJ3 Gotenks - this way he gets power and intelligence. No Vegito fusion because he was OP and didnt do much with this OP´ness. Goku/Vegeta/Gohan then battle Buutenks and are outmatched as long as the fusion lasts. Once the fusions ends - Buucollo is in turn outmatched and absorbs Gohan. He then destroys Earth.

Goku/Vegeta are saved by Kibitokai - Buu reforms and teleports to the Kais world. SSJ3 Goku vs Buuhan - during the battle Vegeta has a moment of clarity/atonement/change of heart - all evil holding him back dissappears and he transforms into a SSJ3. Buuhan is then defeated by the combined powers of SSJ3 Goku and Vegeta.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed May 19, 2021 3:40 pm

I've become so attached to the existing story over the years that I wouldn't change anything, but if I was forced to make changes I would probably make Kaioshin stronger and have him play a bigger role in the fight against Buu, and I'd have Goku and Vegeta fuse into Gogeta at the end and defeat kid Buu.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Thu May 20, 2021 12:54 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:40 pm I've become so attached to the existing story over the years that I wouldn't change anything, but if I was forced to make changes I would probably make Kaioshin stronger and have him play a bigger role in the fight against Buu, and I'd have Goku and Vegeta fuse into Gogeta at the end and defeat kid Buu.
I like the simplicity of this. I think making Kaioshin more effective strength wise would also have the positive effect of making him a more confident and composed character. That change alone would make the arc more enjoyable for me. Would you trim the stuff with the kids? The Gotenks stuff and Gohan's power up and return I mean.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun May 23, 2021 12:00 pm

-Make Babidi's minions be stronger and have Spopovich and Yamu steal energy from the onlookers instead so East Kaioshin doesn't look like an idiot.
-Give Kaioshin some shine.
-Tone down Gotenks' antics.
-Actually commit to Gohan being the new protagonist.
-Get rid of Boo's absorption ability.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Brogeta

Post by Brogeta » Sun May 23, 2021 3:51 pm

The moment Vegeta self sacrificed himself is where it should have ended. Too bad such an epic moment was ruined.
Either that or when Gohan became ultimate.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun May 23, 2021 4:40 pm

Also Vegeta's sacrifice should at least have some lasting effect on Boo.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

NickLord
Banned Alternate Account

Post by NickLord » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:58 pm

slifer875 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:25 pm 1. keep videl, shin, picoloo and gohan as the main characters of the saga, don't make videl give up on fighting after ONE fight against a minion, have her learn ki after her defeat (ki tecniques) and help against buu, don't make picoloo the babysitter of two brats, have him and shin try to learn the spell that can seal majin buu.

2 Instead of "BIG NUMBER GO UP!" make the entire saga a chase for a book/secret page on how to seal or awaken buu, have buu go to sleep after killing dabura and vegeta, and make this a chase like the androids/cell/goods guys story in the cell arc, with multiple groups searching for connected goals.

3 Have goku nearly killed off buu by himself but his time in earth runs out at the last momment, he doesn't teach fusion to the kids but teaches gohan teletransportation, after saying his goodbye to everyone goku doesn't get involve anymore in the story from this point foward.

4 the majin vegeta thing is stupid and doesn't happened, he gets murdered by buu, thats it the end, vegeta doesn't deserve to be treated as a hero even if we don't count the majin thing, he is still a child murderer, it would be fitting for him to be killed off by a child-like opponent.

5 no mystic/ultimate ritual power up or fusion, babidi finds the missing page/book on how to awaken buu and burns it so no one else can ever find the spell to seal buu.

6 since buu is pretty much inmmortal, the group learns tecniques and makes plans to seal him away, picoloo and tenshinhan uses mafuba, gohan and videl have the idea to seal him in the time chamber, shin learns the spell that sealed the elder kai in the sword, have bulma trying to seal him off inside a capsule while the rest distracts him, If you really want goku back ONLY for the final battle have goku and the rest trying to seal him off in the fountain of blood in hell (like how cell and frieza got trapped there in the filler), or make it one final search for the dragon balls so they can wish back the missing page/book back (in a similar way how the final battle in jojo part 5 was mostly the search for the arrow).
Your choice on how to beat him, i just don't want genkidama, fusion or "BIG NUMBER GO UP!" being the solutions.

7 after buu's defeat, the final two episodes would be about a young pan that wants be a martial artist and is traveling the world, she is fighting the uranai baba tournament, her final opponent is a mysterious guy with a cat mask that seems to know her, its reveal the masked man is goku, he wisher her good luck on her journey and returns to the otherwolrd, THE END.
Those are awful ides and would make the Buu saga worse lol

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:55 am

The only thing I would change is bringing Gohan to fight Boo at the very end, rather than using the Genki Dama. And even that is like, eh, a trade-off compromise.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:12 am

I would have kept Dabura alive. Instead of being turned into a cookie, he just gets knocked unconscious like Gohan was. And he shows up to help against Buu right around the time Tien does. I wouldn't necessarily have him turn good. Just a temporary alliance and enemy of my enemy situation, where he wants to stop Buu.

He would get beaten up by Super Buu after a good fight and blown up by Kid Buu along with everyone else (except Dende, Hercule, Goku, and Vegeta). The only change being, they don't just revive good people. They revive everyone except Babidi.

Maybe Dabura shows up in reunion episodes here and there, like eating cake at Bulma's birthday party or sitting at a table with Pui Pui and Yakon at the party in the Yo! Son Goku special. I don't like good characters being killed off. It's enough to know he would be alive and make cameos here and there.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:31 am

I would leave everything the same, until the part where Vegeta is saved by Trunks

Have Buu kill him the fuck off just as he deserves, not give him the chance to glorify himself with the whole “sacrifice” thing.
Then, everything moves along exactly the same as it happened originally with Vegeta being brough back to help.
But the next change would be that he doesn’t revive when everything is settled. He goes back to hell and his storyline transitions into what it is in the movie 12: where he actually pays some sort of consequence for 30 years of being a murderer and understands how killing people just cuz you wanna fight Goku: is bad.
After some time has passed, THEN he can be brought back to life and I can take him seriously as a “good guy”.