How would you remake and rewrite the Majin Buu Saga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: How would you remake and rewrite the Majin Buu Saga?

Post by BWri » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:52 pm

First things first is I would lessen the timeskip by a few years. I'd make Gohan 15/16 instead of 17/18. This would in turn make Trunks and Goten younger as well. I'd skip out on them having SSJ too, at least at the very start of the arc.

-I'd flesh out Gohan's high school life and would do more with Great Saiyaman. Having him uncover some threads of Babidi's plot on his own, ahead of the tournament would be a great use of the character, something that Ayna mentions in awesome detail below.
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:22 pm But if I absolutely had to rewrite it I'd drag out the superhero stuff, using it as a launching board for the introduction of Spopovich. The way Babidi's minions gather power has a lot of potential to create suspense if why and what they were doing was hid from the audience. All Gohan and Videl would know (at first) is that once meak, mild mannered people are suddenly becoming freakishly strong masochists throwing themselves into dangerous situations. Everytime Videl or Gohan manage to subdue one of them they start to shout crazy shit like 'Babidi! Babidi! Blood and souls for my lord Badidi!"
-It's also a great chance to flesh out Gohan. We're essentially introduced to a completely new character in the original Buu arc. By making him younger, and keeping his design somewhat similar to the last time we saw him, we don't have to lose out on the child-like qualities that defined Gohan for so long. We can keep those while expanding his character and design.

-Everything else is pretty much the same up to the tournament.

-For the tournament, I'd change things up. I wouldn't have this weird retcon business of the world and the tournament participants getting this realism nerf. No, the fighters are all of a similar caliber to the fighters of Dragon Ball, fighters such as Nam, Giran, Chappa etc. This means that Satan is actually quite strong, just not by current cast standards. This would make things a little more fun, I think and could be a good time to introduce some fighters with weak but strange and interesting gimmicks. Also, animal people are still a thing.

-Piccolo doesn't forfeit to Shin. Shin forfeits to Piccolo after recognizing him and recruiting him to his cause telepathically. He's also not as much of an a****** or mysterious for the sake of being mysterious. He'll be initially tight-lipped and somewhat furtive, which will create the mystery. Also, Shin is in disguise (like Kami before him) and he and Piccolo do trade a few blows before their telepathic conversation. Piccolo can't land damaging blows because something is holding him back (the presence of Kami).

-Supreme Kai struggles to contain Gohan's SSJ2 power until Piccolo assists him which shocks Goku and the others. I think this is where I'd reveal Kaioshin's plan with Piccolo telling everyone to trust them and explaining things completely once Spopovich and Yamu fly off. I'd probably have Piccolo reveal this to Goku ahead of time.

-#18 forbids Krillin from going with them, so he stays in the Tournament.

-Dabura spits on Kibito and Piccolo. It's a strategic move. No need for weird statements about hidden power.

-Dabura teams with Gohan to defeat Buu. They fail and Dabura dies. Piccolo and Kabito arrive to help Kai and Gohan. Kai mentions that they may have a shot if they can escape with Gohan. Buu immediately goes to kill Gohan. Kabito intervenes to try to save Gohan, but both are blasted away. Kabito takes the brunt of the attack and detonates the blast which allows Gohan to survive. Kai realizes this but is knocked out cold by Buu. Piccolo is the last one on the battlefield until Vegeta arrives to save him.

-I think I'd probably still use Goten and Trunks here, though they're more irritants at this point than anything else. I'd have it so they could raise their power levels really high when enraged, just like kid Gohan. Seems to be a big half-saiyan trait. They'd show up to backup Vegeta when he's getting the stuffing beaten out of him.

-Piccolo threatens Babidi but doesn't kill him. He notices Vegeta knocking out the boys.

-Vegeta still sacrifices himself.

-I'd have Piccolo and Krillin train the boys for a couple of years in the time chamber. Influencing their fighting styles. They'd come out of the chamber at the ages we see them at in the original story or perhaps a little older.

-I'd have SSJ3 be much more unstable. Not stamina drain wise, but more destructive and personality changing, making Goku more savage. Goku attempts to tame the form through training.

-Kai dies in Vegeta's explosion but he and Kabito are revived and they take Gohan to the world of the Kai's for training. Gohan's training is similar but different. He's more active during it, but overall the focus will still be on drawing out his latent potential, a potential that his unique heritage, life experience, and pure heart has created. He undertakes the training Elder Kai's former mortal champion. The Goku of his era.

-In the end, for me, Gotenks will defeat Fat Buu decisively and convince him to turn on Babidi and live a good life. (I don't really want to use fusion, but there's too many fans of it for me to omit it completely.) After Buu threatens Babidi, Babidi lets him go. As Buu tries to live a normal life, Babidi poisons the hearts of nearby bandits and makes them extra savage. We'd be losing out on the "but man is the true monster" trope but this works well with the story as I'd have Babidi's magic and influence be what pushes Buu to shed his innocence. As much as I like Old Buu, I'd shed him completely and just have Buu turn into Super Buu. Super Buu then goes on a rampage and takes out Piccolo and Gotenks. This time, Gohan is still training and so Goku and Vegeta go in his stead.

-Goku and Vegeta throw everything they have at Super Buu. Goku even goes SSJ3. SSJ3 Goku does well, but the form is still beyond his control and so he commits many mistakes due to unnecessary movement and bloodlust. (Also SSJ3 either has eyebrows or those ridiculous monkey like sideburns). Buu defeats him and Goku and Vegeta. Gotenks steps in to defend them and Buu, stinging from his previous defeat, absorbs Gotenks coach, Piccolo as well as Babidi. The intelligence and magick boost gives Buu just the advantage he needs to defeat Gotenks. Gotenks is also fighting emotionally.

-Goku and Vegeta step in and are forced to fuse into Vegetto to save Gotenks. Vegetto gets the better of Buu and is the one to get the dreaded "retard" line. Vegetto's playful nature also allows Buu to take his time and plot another absorption. Knowing about Gotenks' time limit, thanks to Piccolo, he manages to nab them. He then proceeds to wear Vegetto down before giving him the Ultimate Gohan treatment from the original story.

-Instead of absorbing Vegetto, Buu beats him down until he has virtually no energy and is unconscious. These conditions are enough to defuse the Potara fusion (in this version). As he goes to eliminate Goku and Vegeta, the remaining human Z fighters step in to keep him busy. None of them died in this version. Krillin and Yamcha step in first and when Buu nearly kills them Tien and Chaozu interfere. Buu toys with them and readies to finish them off until he feels a massive power zeroing in on him with a speed he has never before witnessed.

-Gohan arrives at the battlefield in the garb of an old warrior. The ancient armor and reconstructed sword is funneling the deep reserves of Gohan's power but also greatly restricting his use of it. Fighting with this armor reduces Gohan's overall power but it's like a resistance band in that as he's using it, he's building up the "muscle" that allows him to harness more of his hidden power. Buu shatters all that and Gohan now fights him evenly without gimmicks. After a prolongued battle, Gohan maxes out his power and punches Buu inside out. Kai and Kabito use their magic to extract the pods containing Piccolo, Goten, and Trunks from Buu's puddle. From there, Gohan vaporizes what's left of Buu and Babidi.

-You could either end the arc here with a show of Buu recollecting as a vapor cloud to do a Kid Buu arc next or you could introduce Kid Buu here and if we do that, I hate to say it, but we need Goku, because we need the spirit bomb and Gohan just does not know it and it's weird to stop the arc to have Gohan stop his training to go train with another technique from a master he doesn't know. It's pragmatic to a degree, but weird for Dragon Ball. We could just skip Kid Buu altogether, but he's iconic enough to include, plus the reincarnation stuff with Uub works better for me if the Spirit Bomb is the thing that takes out Buu. Unfortunately Z's existing ending is probably the best possible way to end the Buu arc. You get some much cool character interaction and developments from it as well as some great groundwork for future developments. I guess I'd probably have everyone be there to hold off Buu and have Gohan take point. Put the Goku Buu/Uub dynamic is too good to pass up, so Goku would unfortunately get the W thanks to all his friends. But at least everyone else (aside from Vegeta, yikes) has more to do.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:35 pm

BWri wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:52 pm *snip*
Love this! If you go this route though, I think their definitely needs to be that Kid Buu finale. Gohan just showing up and wasting Buu is a little too clean and anticlimactic of an ending for Toriyama by that point - the "final boss" nature of the Cell ending has always been the benchmark for me so we definitely need a "Princess is in another castle" scenario to juice up the drama.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:57 pm

No offense, but I'm glad nobody in this thread are professional writers.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:19 pm

precita wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:57 pm No offense, but I'm glad nobody in this thread are professional writers.
Spoiler alert: I am.
Cold World (Fanfic)

BWri

Post by BWri » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:25 pm

precita wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:57 pm No offense, but I'm glad nobody in this thread are professional writers.
I am too, and I'm legit just throwing ideas at the wall lol. While on the clock no less. Give me more than 20 minutes to flesh my ideas out and I can make something compelling.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

BWri

Post by BWri » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:06 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:35 pm
Love this! If you go this route though, I think their definitely needs to be that Kid Buu finale. Gohan just showing up and wasting Buu is a little too clean and anticlimactic of an ending for Toriyama by that point - the "final boss" nature of the Cell ending has always been the benchmark for me so we definitely need a "Princess is in another castle" scenario to juice up the drama.
Thanks! I was thinking of another arc where Gohan, Goten, and Trunks solidify themselves as the next generation and are the ones to ultimately defeat Kid Buu. The Kid Buu vs new generation parallel kind of writes itself. The post was already long and I was working, so I didn't want to dive into something completely new. Plus, I like what's created with the Goku + Buu/Uub connection that's born out of the fight they had and the connection they shared via/Goku's spirit bomb wish. It's hard to give all that up even if it's to give Gohan and crew a better definitive win so I'd just end it like Toriyama ended it.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:38 pm

BWri wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:06 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:35 pm
Thanks! I was thinking of another arc where Gohan, Goten, and Trunks solidify themselves as the next generation and are the ones to ultimately defeat Kid Buu. The Kid Buu vs new generation parallel kind of writes itself. The post was already long and I was working, so I didn't want to dive into something completely new. Plus, I like what's created with the Goku + Buu/Uub connection that's born out of the fight they had and the connection they shared via/Goku's spirit bomb wish. It's hard to give all that up even if it's to give Gohan and crew a better definitive win so I'd just end it like Toriyama ended it.
Which I think kinda solidifies why Goku should stay the main character because no one else in the series would even think to make a request like that. It's just not something I can see Gohan, Goten (eh maybe), Trunks or Vegeta doing and have it create the same thematic feeling as Goku doing it.

I know that isn't the point of this thread but reading your post, I noticed how you said " Unfortunately, Goku has to come back " meaning you'd prefer that he stayed dead.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

BWri

Post by BWri » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:10 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:38 pm Which I think kinda solidifies why Goku should stay the main character because no one else in the series would even think to make a request like that. It's just not something I can see Gohan, Goten (eh maybe), Trunks or Vegeta doing and have it create the same thematic feeling as Goku doing it.
Interesting point. I also don't see any other character making this wish. Even if they did, Goku seems to be the only one with the afterlife clout needed to make this happen. But even if this was his only moment and Gohan and the others took point, it'd make for a more satisfying arc. The dissatisfaction comes from Goku completely taking over the story, being represented once more as the strongest guy and the only one able to defeat the big bad. In this one, if Gohan is represented as the most valuable front line fighter, he takes that role from Goku as he should have in the original arc. The only problem with this is it eliminates the importance that Vegeta had as the main punching bag. So he loses a lot of character moments. There also likely wouldn't be the admission that Goku is #1 due to Gohan being the #1 this time around. With the way he's written in Super, it's not a big loss.

Unfortunately, Buu wasn't Gohan's villain. He wasn't Goku's either, really. He was a group project, so I'm okay with a group victory. I could make it more personal, have him kill Videl as Super Buu or something, but I wouldn't really want to lol. I enjoy Buu as a force of nature, not a sadistic Frieza type.
I know that isn't the point of this thread but reading your post, I noticed how you said " Unfortunately, Goku has to come back " meaning you'd prefer that he stayed dead.
The "unfortunate" part is him getting the win. It's only unfortunate because it somewhat undermines the whole handing over the reigns to the next generation story beat that the Buu arc seemed to be setting up for.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:23 am

McDonaldsGuy wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:02 am EXACTLY what I am saying. He should've went full bore in making him a genie. Not hold back. It's a cool and unique idea that would work in DBZ.
He's already genie-like in several respects.
I am not debating execution
Again, I am. Execution matters more than set up. An argument BTW that you've been indirectly making for why Buu is supposedly generic and not genie-like enough; so it's disingenuous to claim that you haven't been debating execution at all.
I don't feel Buu is the perfect follow up to Cell, because he's just too generic.
Again, there's nothing generic about Buu.
He COULD have made someone on Earth just stronger, but no one would have bought it. Toriyama COULD'VE followed up Freeza with an even stronger being, but no one would buy it, just as the editors didn't buy Androids 17 and 18 as the main villains. So he uses time travel + biological experiments instead and that was a great idea. Buu doesn't have that outside thinking, and if you think he does, I'd like to hear why you think that.
And Buu brings elements of Dragon Ball's greater cosmology into the fold. Regardless of how convoluted it was (like the Cell set up you like so much), if that's not "outside thinking" I don't know what is.

And you're still being disingenuous by insinuating that Toriyama did more than what he was doing.
I do think the fact Buu didn't get a TV special makes my point even more because what could you do with it? There was no escalation, no personal stakes compared to Bardock and Trunks History. Buu was just another big strong scary bad guy and there's not much to work with there, but with Cell you had time travel and Freeza you had space.
You're working backwards with your logic again. The existence of TV specials is not indicative of an arc's quality. The Piccolo Daimao arc didn't have a TV special either (and they easily could have made one about Piccolo's initial reign of terror).

Also, GT got a TV special despite generally being mediocre.

BWri wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:10 pm The "unfortunate" part is him getting the win. It's only unfortunate because it somewhat undermines the whole handing over the reigns to the next generation story beat that the Buu arc seemed to be setting up for.
Goku only "gets the win" in the sense that he was the one that performed the attack that killed Buu. Other than that, it was more of a collaborative effort. People tend to overstate Goku's role in Buu's defeat.

Hell, he probably wouldn't have wished for Buu to be reborn had he actually been able to properly finish his fight with him.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:42 am

I don't understand this TV special argument. It has nothing to do with the arc's quality, because it's OUTSIDE the arc, it happens 40 years before or 20 years after. If anything, it makes the arc look unfinished because it requires an outside source to help finish it up and tie its loose ends. But that'd also be unfair to say.

It could've gotten a TV special regarding Buu's initial rampage and the decimation of the kaioshin... but how appealing would've been to have a boring protagonist as Shin? it would also be weird to have a TV special from the demon's perspective, as the protagonist. Toei chosed to tell it in a flashback format, in 9 minutes instead of 40. The Buu arc didn't need a TV Special to tell its story.

Bardock's special had a badass Goku to tell something that had nothing to do with the current arc, as in it didn't move the story forward, it was something that happened 40 years ago. It was about a character, not about the story that was currently being told.
And Trunks' Special was about Trunks, not about the arc.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:29 am

Let me stop you right there. You're speaking out of your ass. What does 'professional' even mean? That some capitalist corporation thought your writing would earn them money? What's the point of repeating the frame work in which Dragon Ball was already created when outside of that frame work any idea not deemed financially sound but is still creatively sound can make the project better?

I have health issues preventing me from finishing the several novels I have in the works and getting them published. 'Professional' doesn't mean a thing about quality, it's just a platitude to make elitists feel good about themselves. Plenty of my favorite writers don't even sell their works but the quality remains just as high if not higher than the writings that I wond up paying money for from a book store or on a Blu-ray.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

BWri

Post by BWri » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:47 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:23 am
BWri wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:10 pm The "unfortunate" part is him getting the win. It's only unfortunate because it somewhat undermines the whole handing over the reigns to the next generation story beat that the Buu arc seemed to be setting up for.
Goku only "gets the win" in the sense that he was the one that performed the attack that killed Buu. Other than that, it was more of a collaborative effort. People tend to overstate Goku's role in Buu's defeat.
That's why I say it "somewhat" undermines the idea. What really undermines things is Goku coming back into the lead role, being depicted as the strongest (since no effort was made to get Gohan or Gotenks) and basically doing most of the work to save everyone, whereas the next generation basically blinked out of the story aside from donating some Genki to the Genki Dama. It's not an arc that showed the next generation is ready to protect the earth. The lesson of the arc is actually the complete opposite, that the next generation is a fumbling, bumbling mess.

I don't have much of a problem with the ending, which is why I mostly keep it the same in my scenario and just have Gohan take the lead with the planning/fighting.
Hell, he probably wouldn't have wished for Buu to be reborn had he actually been able to properly finish his fight with him.
I never thought of it this way. You may be right.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:08 pm

There's something I deeply love about how the boo saga had the attempted passing of the torch from one generation to the next just... be a complete disaster. It's so oddly cynical and unlike most stories that deal with something like that.

They really just ended the whole story with an arc where Goku realises his children aren't capable of carrying on his legacy, and he has the gods conjure up someone who is.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:16 pm

Jack Bz wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:08 pm There's something I deeply love about how the boo saga had the attempted passing of the torch from one generation to the next just... be a complete disaster. It's so oddly cynical and unlike most stories that deal with something like that.

They really just ended the whole story with an arc where Goku realises his children aren't capable of carrying on his legacy, and he has the gods conjure up someone who is.
There is something to be said for this that I actually did sort of like for the same reasons you said...I just wish at some point the series actually acknowledged what a flop it ultimately was.
Cold World (Fanfic)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:22 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:29 am
Let me stop you right there. You're speaking out of your ass. What does 'professional' even mean? That some capitalist corporation thought your writing would earn them money? What's the point of repeating the frame work in which Dragon Ball was already created when outside of that frame work any idea not deemed financially sound but is still creatively sound can make the project better?

I have health issues preventing me from finishing the several novels I have in the works and getting them published. 'Professional' doesn't mean a thing about quality, it's just a platitude to make elitists feel good about themselves. Plenty of my favorite writers don't even sell their works but the quality remains just as high if not higher than the writings that I wond up paying money for from a book store or on a Blu-ray.
Professional means it is your primary means of supporting yourself. Yes, some corporation did think someone's writing would make them money. I know you like to think that's a horrible idea, but it's not. It's trade. They value your writing because they think an audience cares more for the story than they do the cash so they are willing to give someone money in exchange.

I should not have to point out that we owe DB to this idea. Had Toriyama not gone with what sold, DB would've died after the first arc.

I know people love to go on about the sanctity of art and think money is crass, but fact is that most good to great art was created with the intention of making money. They aren't antithetical ideas.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:00 am

PanSimpson wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:44 am If you could completely redo the Majin Buu Saga, how would you change things to the story to fit your liking?
It is as fun as it already is. Gohan fans may wanted him to finish off Buu and Gotenks haters may want to get rid off him from the main storyline.

I actually feel Toriyama's decision of bringing Goku & Vegeta back as best decision the series has ever took. Such a ballsy & fun rollercoaster ride it was.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:20 am

BWri wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:52 pm First things first is I would lessen the timeskip by a few years. I'd make Gohan 15/16 instead of 17/18.
He is 16 at least in the manga.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:35 am

Jack Bz wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:08 pm There's something I deeply love about how the boo saga had the attempted passing of the torch from one generation to the next just... be a complete disaster. It's so oddly cynical and unlike most stories that deal with something like that.

Agreed. There's always been an element of subversion to Toriyama's writing and it's on display all through the Buu arc. Many will argue that much of it is the result of messy writing, but I think it's an interpretation that works based on subtext.

Also, I've personally never had much investment in the idea of the next generation taking over (much like I've never had much investment in the idea of Gohan becoming the lead). To me, Goten and Trunks were simply new characters introduced for the new arc; and ultimately weren't cut out to be heroes simply because they're young, immature brats that (surprise!) act like young, immature brats.
Vijay wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:00 am It is as fun as it already is. Gohan fans may wanted him to finish off Buu and Gotenks haters may want to get rid off him from the main storyline.

I actually feel Toriyama's decision of bringing Goku & Vegeta back as best decision the series has ever took. Such a ballsy & fun rollercoaster ride it was.
This is one of the reasons I love the Buu arc too. Its "anything can happen" nature makes it one hell of a rollercoaster ride.

It helps that I didn't go into it with any expectations for it. To me, it was simply the next part of Dragon Ball. A lot of the people who hate it seem to do so because they didn't get what they were expecting from it (Gohan as the lead, the next generation taking over, Goku saying dead, etc.).

BWri

Post by BWri » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:55 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:20 am
BWri wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:52 pm First things first is I would lessen the timeskip by a few years. I'd make Gohan 15/16 instead of 17/18.
He is 16 at least in the manga.
Wow! He is!? Oh yeah, right, because he's 9 when he fights Cell in the manga. In any case, I'd make him 2 years younger than he ends up being in the Buu arc. Missing out on his early to mid teenage years seems like a waste. And I'd want his design to look less ... grown, for lack of a better term. I'd save the adult design for end of Z.

I'd be fine with this, but it just comes off as a shallow and ill-conceived story point. Goten and Trunks being the next generation of protectors feels very out of nowhere and the fact that Goku puts so much stock into them without hardly knowing them or preparing them is just like ... what!? And when it ultimately goes nowhere, you can't help but feel disappointed. I didn't expect them to be the saviors, but I at least expected them to learn more and contribute more to the story than being simple story diversions. Instead their stories really go nowhere and it leaves them with very little to work with going forward. You get more out of them from their fight in the tournament.

I guess I can agree with that interpretation for Gohan, but ultimately that also feels like it's ill-conceived. I only say that because it leaves you feeling like Gohan is this empty character with no agency of his own. And outside of his out of nowhere power growth, he doesn't really grow. He doesn't seem to learn anything at all, which is why he seemingly makes the exact same mistakes he did at the start of this arc. You can say that's realistic, but it's not really written with realism in mind, at least that's the sense I get.
Last edited by BWri on Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nosferatu93
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nosferatu93 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:01 pm

Ending after cell. Story is dragged out since ending of namek. Boo is literally just homage to Dragonball original. If you mix z seriousness with Dragonballs goofiness it just dont fit imo. Stil glad we got boo saga but yea. 🥲
Hellsing