Never noticed this...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Never noticed this...

Post by Ssj3Engels » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:56 pm

I have been watching the Z movies now (the original 13, and in the FUNimation releases), with the OG DB ones probably coming next, and I noticed this:

HOLY COW, HOW MUCH IS KURIRIN USED AS A COMIC RELIEF!!!!!

Seriously, NOTHING he does is worth beans. In the TV series, this isn't as obvious, because his role actually matters. But in the movies he does nothing of importance; he just gets kicked and pushed aside every time.

I wonder why Toei did this to the character, disposing him of all his dignity? :lol:

This probably isn't "thread worthy", but there you go...

I have watched up to movie 7, by the way. Didn't get to Broly yet. 8)

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Never noticed this...

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:09 pm

The movies are so formulaic that it's actually pretty interesting to keep track of their tropes.

Krillin will always get bullied and make a goofy face for comedic relief.

Piccolo will always show up to save Gohan.

Vegeta will make the coolest entrance in the film and then be used as the jobber.

Every character has their own cliché to fulfill, and most of the movies end up being very similar because of it.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:52 pm

Now that I think of it, maybe that was why Krillin was memed on like Yamcha.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:00 pm

nickzambuto wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:09 pm Piccolo will always show up to save Gohan.
Not only will Piccolo materialize out of the ether to save Gohan sometimes he'll also materialize a spaceship to help him get where he needs to go!

I actually have a softspot for the Buu era movies because of their willingness to mock the Namek and Cell era formulas
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:13 pm

nickzambuto wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:09 pm The movies are so formulaic that it's actually pretty interesting to keep track of their tropes.

Vegeta will make the coolest entrance in the film and then be used as the jobber.

Every character has their own cliché to fulfill, and most of the movies end up being very similar because of it.

You kind of hit the nail on the head why I really don’t like the movies

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:14 pm

Yup haha! I’m convinced that this is where the “krillin is useless” jokes come from, more so than the actual DBZ story.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:17 pm

nickzambuto wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:09 pm The movies are so formulaic that it's actually pretty interesting to keep track of their tropes.

Very true, these movies play a big part in why I like Piccolo and Vegeta so much. It doesn’t matter that they never win the major battle, but their “coolness” and triumphant entrances and moments always get my adrenaline going.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:41 pm

Yeah it's actually pretty stupid when you think about it. The worst was that moment in Movie 2 were he dives to the ground in terror the instant Goku and Piccolo start fighting. It felt out of character for him to be so comically afraid.

The only movie were he has a cool moment is Movie 5, were he attacks Salza in a rage thinking Goku's going to die, and actually puts up a descent fight before losing. Aside from that all the movies use the same running gag of "Why is it always me?". That was Krillin's catchphrase long before Neville Longbottom said it.

The movies have these patterns; Piccolo is always shown to be a badass and saves Gohan, Vegeta's shows up saying he's only helping so he can kill Goku himself, and Krillin is repeatedly shown to be a joke.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:27 pm

Man, this makes me think that most of Dragon Ball's common criticisms come from tropes only really present in the movies.

EDIT : Also PEACE and POWER to DMX!
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:06 pm

The movies definitely have a tendency to treat Kuririn as the de facto Yamcha of the group, since Yamcha himself is absent from all but two of the original DBZ movies. What I find more interesting is how prominent Oolong is in those movies. He’s actually more significant than Bulma when it comes to most of the older movies. He even accompanies the characters to New Namek in Movie 6, despite having virtually no fighting prowess.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:55 pm

Seriously, he gets smacked around and even sent flying by the film's villain for the lulz for the most part and is always like "Oh why always me?" and it's something that i always laugh about due to how often it constantly happens while the series proper OTOH not so much. These films but especially the old school DBZ ones have an established set of tropes which are repeated and recycled ad nauseum (obligatory outdoor activity, Piccolo swoops in literally out of nowhere and saves Gohan every time.etc) and this pretty much leaves him as the mostly useless character of no worth, it's almost like the writers came up with the idea to have this done repeatedly as a running gag of sorts and it really does get constantly milked for all it's worth. Now this always makes me roll my eyes for how utterly played out and ridiculous it gets after a certain point.

I mean come on, were they really that strapped for ideas and couldn't come up with something new? Apparently so because the same stuff keeps coming up repeatedly in the old movies.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:17 am

Indeed, when you think about it, the movies are where a lot of our perceptions and memes of the series stem from.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:27 am

Drag-on Ball didn't start with the movies. Neither did 'Goku is a bad dad.' The series alone is more than enough to support the worst fandom memes
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:50 am

90sDBZ wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:41 pm Yeah it's actually pretty stupid when you think about it. The worst was that moment in Movie 2 were he dives to the ground in terror the instant Goku and Piccolo start fighting. It felt out of character for him to be so comically afraid.

The only movie were he has a cool moment is Movie 5, were he attacks Salza in a rage thinking Goku's going to die, and actually puts up a descent fight before losing. Aside from that all the movies use the same running gag of "Why is it always me?". That was Krillin's catchphrase long before Neville Longbottom said it.

The movies have these patterns; Piccolo is always shown to be a badass and saves Gohan, Vegeta's shows up saying he's only helping so he can kill Goku himself, and Krillin is repeatedly shown to be a joke.
Yeah he actually does better than Gohan vs Salza iirc. That finger beam spread and hit down combo was smart of Salza.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:24 pm

v unpopular opinion but I enjoy bio broly for breaking classic dbz movie formula, and krillin actually has relevance in the film.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:36 pm

Krillin1994 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:24 pm v unpopular opinion but I enjoy bio broly for breaking classic dbz movie formula, and krillin actually has relevance in the film.
It's a flawed movie for sure but has it's moments, and yeah they tried something other than the established formula even though bringing back Broly again (sort of) dragged it down a little. The scenes with Goten and Trunks and especially No. 18 and Mr. Satan work pretty good even then.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:39 pm

I think as well for the Goten/Trunks dynamic it's not just them relying on fusion so we are getting them as actual characters.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:42 pm

Krillin1994 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:39 pm I think as well for the Goten/Trunks dynamic it's not just them relying on fusion so we are getting them as actual characters.
Yes, I like that as well for they do more here as a pair than just merging and fighting as Gotenks. It feels like they get a chance to shine and contribute to the story as themselves.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:38 pm

Well, Krillin saved Gohan from the lava in Movie 10 after he was tired from fighting Broly, so there's that at least.

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:43 pm

Xeogran wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:38 pm Well, Krillin saved Gohan from the lava in Movie 10 after he was tired from fighting Broly, so there's that at least.
As stated in the OP, I didn't get to this movie (yet). :)