My mom thinks that Dragon Ball should be cancelled entirely

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

My mom thinks that Dragon Ball should be cancelled entirely

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:59 pm

She thinks the Bulma and Roshi scene is unforgiveable and not even censoring it makes it okay.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: My mom thinks that Dragon Ball should be cancelled entirely

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:00 pm

Well, okay then.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:02 pm

Which ball? The 4 star one or the 2 star one?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:03 pm

Your mom’s conclusion is correct, but I disagree with her reasoning.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:09 pm

Which scene? There’s more than one instance of Roshi perving on Bulma. I think the grossest is the one where he shrinks himself so he could watch her use the bathroom.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:10 pm

That's something a mom would say.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:23 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:09 pm I think the grossest is the one where he shrinks himself so he could watch her use the bathroom.
I didn't think that he was trying to watch her use the bathroom so much as he was trying to watch her undress to use the bathroom.

I think it's probably one of the more innocent of the perv sequences in the show. It's got a classic cartoonish vibe about it.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:30 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:23 pm .

I think it's probably one of the more innocent of the perv sequences in the show. It's got a classic cartoonish vibe about it.

Apparently Cartoon Network agreed because I remember that being left in. Not that there was much of a choice

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:37 pm

Here's an idea: How about they write a scene where Roshi actually suffers from serious consequences for his perversion?

Say he reverts to his old ways and starts trying to grope a female villain (maybe a female Angel gone rogue), then she beats him to within an inch of his life or actually murders him.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:42 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:37 pm Here's an idea: How about they write a scene where Roshi actually suffers from serious consequences for his perversion?

Say he reverts to his old ways and starts trying to grope a female villain (maybe a female Angel gone rogue), then she beats him to within an inch of his life or actually murders him.
Getting beat up or murdered doesn't mean much in a battle heavy series like Dragon Ball. And it would likely be played for laughs anyhow.

Maybe if Roshi were sent to prison, then that would be some kind of consequence worth exploring. Or maybe he is confronted by all of his past victims and has to listen to them tell their stories. Something like that.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:42 am

MyVisionity wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:42 am
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:37 pm Here's an idea: How about they write a scene where Roshi actually suffers from serious consequences for his perversion?

Getting beat up or murdered doesn't mean much in a battle heavy series like Dragon Ball. And it would likely be played for laughs anyhow.

Maybe if Roshi were sent to prison, then that would be some kind of consequence worth exploring. Or maybe he is confronted by all of his past victims and has to listen to them tell their stories. Something like that.
And then Roshi and Goku look at the camera and tell us "That's no good!"
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:17 am

Mom's gotta mom
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:29 am

I thing religious text should also be cancelled, too much violence and nudity :lolno:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:33 am

MyVisionity wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:42 am

I'm thinking about something really brutal, like Spopovich vs Videl, or Moro vs the Namekian savior. Something that will not be played for laughs at all, and shock the reader with its intensity.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:09 am

Or the characters call him out and make him stop. Like if a woman is telling him to stop and he keeps going I don’t think it’s out of Goku’s character to ask him to stop, especially if the woman is extremely distressed. Roshi is a super human which makes it even more rapey what he does. Especially on that Super episode.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:14 am

Unless your mom wants to make a thread with her own two cents from the primary source there, I think this is sufficiently covered by other ongoing conversations.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::