Most Overrated Character (Besides Goku and Vegeta)?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Re: Most Overrated Character (Besides Goku and Vegeta)?

Post by Vijay » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:47 am

Basically the entire dbs cast.

Starting with bog 2 weirdos that started/opened-up hole can of overrated characters

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:41 am

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:39 pm Zamas/Zamasu. He’s a decent villain, but some people talk about him like he’s this super complex and nuanced character that the franchise has never seen before. The only thing I find particularly unique about him is that he views himself as the good guy, while pretty much every other Dragon Ball villain is fully aware of how evil they are. He’s still pretty cartoonishly evil, especially in the manga.

I’ve also never been all that crazy about Future Trunks. He’s by no means a bad character, but I don’t think he’s fantastic. He’s basically just Kyle Reese if he was a Dragon Ball character.
It would help if people understood the character and didn't spew nonsense like "he turned evil because of two barbarians!!!" honestly.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:59 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:41 am
WittyUsername wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:39 pm Zamas/Zamasu. He’s a decent villain, but some people talk about him like he’s this super complex and nuanced character that the franchise has never seen before. The only thing I find particularly unique about him is that he views himself as the good guy, while pretty much every other Dragon Ball villain is fully aware of how evil they are. He’s still pretty cartoonishly evil, especially in the manga.

I’ve also never been all that crazy about Future Trunks. He’s by no means a bad character, but I don’t think he’s fantastic. He’s basically just Kyle Reese if he was a Dragon Ball character.
It would help if people understood the character and didn't spew nonsense like "he turned evil because of two barbarians!!!" honestly.
He is basically just that😂 finding any more depth to him or justifying him is synonymous to finding jokes in dbgt or coherence in dbs. Just. Won't. Find. Them.

I'd say even Dabura had more complexity & even some Majin Boo fans would have liked him to be boss villain. But zamasu 😅

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:09 pm

Vijay wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:59 am I'd say even Dabura had more complexity & even some Majin Boo fans would have liked him to be boss villain. But zamasu 😅
Eh, as much as I like Dabra, the only thing more I'd like to see from him is him fighting at his best, since it didn't feel like he was trying all that hard against Gohan and got completely curbstomped by Buu without doing anything impressive.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:21 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:09 pm
Vijay wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:59 am I'd say even Dabura had more complexity & even some Majin Boo fans would have liked him to be boss villain. But zamasu 😅
Eh, as much as I like Dabra, the only thing more I'd like to see from him is him fighting at his best, since it didn't feel like he was trying all that hard against Gohan and got completely curbstomped by Buu without doing anything impressive.
Dabura had villainous look something which most Majin Boo lacked barring Kid Boo. That plus his suave design, magic & lil backstory of him being King of Demon Realm definitely puts him several notches above Fat Boo.

Bro, wasn't tryin to drift this into Dabura/Majin Boo comparison thread btw. It merely a yardstick as to how even a secondary villain Dabura had more interesting & intriguing aspect to him compared to...to...to.......what's his name...ningen guy..

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:31 pm

Vijay wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:21 pm Bro, wasn't tryin to drift this into Dabura/Majin Boo comparison thread btw. It merely a yardstick as to how even a secondary villain Dabura had more interesting & intriguing aspect to him compared to...to...to.......what's his name...ningen guy..
Neither am I, just giving my perspective on that as one of those Buu fans.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:08 pm

Vijay wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:59 am

He is basically just that😂 finding any more depth to him or justifying him is synonymous to finding jokes in dbgt or coherence in dbs. Just. Won't. Find. Them.

I'd say even Dabura had more complexity & even some Majin Boo fans would have liked him to be boss villain. But zamasu 😅
He is not "basically just that", it is made clear in the story that Zamasu already saw countless examples of ningens being stupid. Dislike the character all you want, but you're being disingenuous. You're ignoring story facts to paint a different reality from what the writers showed, that's being disingenuous I'm sorry to tell you.

slifer875

Post by slifer875 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:57 pm

First of all i still think is vegeta (he is nowhere near as well written or important as the fan base claims) but since i can't name him here are my choices:

1 Krillin: yamcha gets an surprise kamikaze attack behind his back despite beating the saibamen easily and somehow he became a meme by the fan base (even claiming he is weaker than a saibamen) he finally got over his fear of women and got a succesful career as a baseball player but he is still treated as the coward weakling loser of the group, but krillin gets beat up every single time and every one treates him as a giga chad for some reason, even everything in the android saga makes him look as a helpless simp that puts everyone in danger for a killer robot, the kienzan never did anything important but everyone cream their pants when they see it, also no, i don't believe for a second krillin is stronger than tenshinhan.

2 Gohan: i am happy toriyama choose to bring goku back, gohan doesn't work as a main character, he the is opposite of goku when it comes to growth, goku was born as the weakest saiyan and had to train to become better, gohan was already born better thanks to genetics and he only needed to get angry to defeat his opponents, he is too reactive and barely has any relationships that are not linked to his father friends, after rewatching the highschool episodes i realise that gohan was the least interesting thing in those episodes, the time-skip differences, videl and the future tournament is why i found those episodes charming
I never understood why the fanboys got so angry when gohan was replace by goku in that arc, the momments goku appears everyone forgets gohan even exists, when it comes to charisma and what it offers to the story gohan pales in comparison to goku.
Finally i don't understand why people worship the whole "mystic/ultimate gohan" thing, its easily one of the worst momments in the buu arc along with the majin vegeta thing.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:40 pm

I like Gohan and Future Trunks less than many fans do. In Gohan's case, well, many people here have already explained that (although I do find his personality really likable). In Trunks' case, it's not anything that's technically wrong with him, I just prefer the other cast members to be honest.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:49 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:08 pm

He is not "basically just that", it is made clear in the story that Zamasu already saw countless examples of ningens being stupid. Dislike the character all you want, but you're being disingenuous. You're ignoring story facts to paint a different reality from what the writers showed, that's being disingenuous I'm sorry to tell you.
Ever hear of "show, don't tell"? We could have certainly seen a lot more in that area instead of having to just infer it.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:21 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:49 pm Ever hear of "show, don't tell"? We could have certainly seen a lot more in that area instead of having to just infer it.
afaik that's not how "show, don't tell" works. In fiction you're supposed to treat a character's first scenes as representative of larger patterns. Think Vegeta eating an alien whose planet he just conquered. We only see Vegeta do it once but from the scene we can safely infer that this happens so often that it's routine for him.

Anyway the most overrated character is probably Piccolo. He's a jobber like everyone else who isn't Goku or Vegeta. No reason to pretend there's anything more to him than that. Especially when his character arc started and ended in the Saiyan Invasion.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:50 pm

I think most characters in the series have a coherent and satisfying character arc, so they all deserve the praise they get. The ones that don't aren't very well regarded in the fandom already.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:21 pm

Yuji wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:50 pm I think most characters in the series have a coherent and satisfying character arc, so they all deserve the praise they get. The ones that don't aren't very well regarded in the fandom already.
I like your attitude :)

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:31 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:21 pm
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:49 pm Ever hear of "show, don't tell"? We could have certainly seen a lot more in that area instead of having to just infer it.
afaik that's not how "show, don't tell" works. In fiction you're supposed to treat a character's first scenes as representative of larger patterns. Think Vegeta eating an alien whose planet he just conquered. We only see Vegeta do it once but from the scene we can safely infer that this happens so often that it's routine for him.

Anyway the most overrated character is probably Piccolo. He's a jobber like everyone else who isn't Goku or Vegeta. No reason to pretend there's anything more to him than that. Especially when his character arc started and ended in the Saiyan Invasion.
You clearly haven't watched past Frieza, Cell & Majin Saga. Srsly... Piccolo's 2nd in-command whenever Goku or Veggie isn't around. Whatcha talkin abt? Even against vastly overpowered foe as Majin Boo, dude still has the role of mentor/tutor to save the Earth & universe in the process of ensuring those 2 chibis perfect their fusion pose. Like bruh...

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:35 pm

[/img]

What reality ur talkin abt? Dude is delusional. Superiority complex driven insecure smuck who fears the sword would one day reach his neck...sooner or later. Besides the fact his utter disdain for lower life beings...urmm..ningen basically...dude isn't even a fckin God/Angel & yet considers himself to be utmost superior being 😅 there ya go...a superficial, shallow, hollow villain who makes Saibaman look credible...at least Saibaman never cried 😂 kikiki

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:35 am

Vijay wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:31 pm You clearly haven't watched past Frieza, Cell & Majin Saga. Srsly... Piccolo's 2nd in-command whenever Goku or Veggie isn't around. Whatcha talkin abt? Even against vastly overpowered foe as Majin Boo, dude still has the role of mentor/tutor to save the Earth & universe in the process of ensuring those 2 chibis perfect their fusion pose. Like bruh...
Frieza Arc: Piccolo shows up to a battlefield (in a display of stupidity that'd put even Goku to shame) fuses with Nail then gets destroyed by Freeza. Afterwards, Piccolo dismisses the Namekians and calls their world boring.

Cell Arc: He reconciles with God and becomes a whole person. This is accomplished in (iirc) two chapters, is done out desperation, and amounts to nothing.

Buu Arc: He teaches Goten and Trunks fusion (don't remember any mentoring happening but hey maybe my memory is just bad). That makes him about as useful as Mr Popo who had the idea in the first place and makes sure Dende survives the assault on the Lookout.

Piccolo is an extra and like all the other extras (Gohan, the entire cast of humans, Goten, Trunks) aren't doing anything but taking up space.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:17 am

Mr. Satan - Not a particularly beloved character by the fandom as far as I can tell, but his persistence and continued extended airtime in the series (based on the fact that Toriyama loves him, probably) definitely was long in the tooth for me. The joke got fairly old, and his presence in video games ended up being a nuisance... like, being a joke character whose role was necessary in advancing the main story mode while being ridiculously weak? Bleh.

Gohan - I definitely like Gohan just fine, but he's honestly quite dull. He went from being an overly serious nerd to an underpowered dork. His role in the Cell Games and post-ritual against Super Buu were nice moments, but the fact is that over 30 years later, people still willingly set themselves up for inevitable disappointment when it doesn't become "The Gohan Show". It will never happen. Even so, what's the appeal in that happening? I'm open to ernest opinions, but this whole "Goku should have stepped aside so Gohan can take over" is such a strange take that I find it hard to believe that it's little more than edgy contrarianism. I can't think of other series where a certain group of fans clammer for the main character to step aside. Very weird.

Kuririn - Maybe it's another case of author's overrating than fans, but he always struck me as undeserving of his elevation and somehow he vicariously reached questionable feats and relevance due to being Goku's best friend. Tenshinhan was robbed. :P

Broli - I'm pleased to see this as such a popular choice. Not to belabor the point, but between the unrealistic and persistent section of the fanbase who claimed he was somehow the strongest character in the series, his myriad of new forms, the 4D film, Kale, a fourth movie, being slapped onto every video game cover, and being a boss in a game that only covered the Saiyan Arc... yeah, it was a genuinely frustrating aspect of the franchise, though at least his new version seems to have neutered those discussions a bit. I do think it's bullshit, though, that in 2021 you can discuss the character in the same breath as gods and it be a legitimate conversation.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:20 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:49 pm

Ever hear of "show, don't tell"? We could have certainly seen a lot more in that area instead of having to just infer it.
That's not an excuse for twisting the story's words.
Vijay wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:35 pm [/img]

What reality ur talkin abt? Dude is delusional. Superiority complex driven insecure smuck who fears the sword would one day reach his neck...sooner or later. Besides the fact his utter disdain for lower life beings...urmm..ningen basically...dude isn't even a fckin God/Angel & yet considers himself to be utmost superior being 😅 there ya go...a superficial, shallow, hollow villain who makes Saibaman look credible...at least Saibaman never cried 😂 kikiki
1) He's a God.

2) You missed the point, I'm not saying you can't dislike the character, like or dislike whoever you want I don't care. The problem is when people say "I hate Zamasu" and then spread misinformation and willingly twist the story, by saying stuff like "he went mad over two barbarians" which is completely disproven by the story. If you want to argue that the character is trash, argue in good faith and take the story into account, instead of twisting it to suit your argument.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:53 am

Zamas is not an especially deep or complex character. He's basically just a pompous asshole who doesn't think people live up to his standards of how they should be, so he decides no one else's life is worthwhile.

He's basically a super exaggerated version of a particular brand of asshole we've all met online several times who doesn't believe anyone else matters or has any inherent value at all. The kind of dickhead who simply doesn't care about other people at all.

Basically, he's a pretty neat basis for a villain, in the same way as Freeza, Cell, Piccolo, and any other decent Dragon Ball villain is, but he is basically just a pompous asshole with god powers.

That's not to say no one is allowed to like him, or that he's not allowed to be your favourite villain (if I was saying that, I would be a real dick). In fact, I'm not even saying I think he's bad; on the contrary, he's a well-cast (in both dub and sub) character who plays off of Goku very well. But, I do think he gets put on a pedestal undeservedly, probably just for being Super's one decent villain (unless you count Beers, I suppose?); an overrated villain for an overrated show.

... I guess I'm all hot takes today. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:15 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:53 am Zamas is not an especially deep or complex character. He's basically just a pompous asshole who doesn't think people live up to his standards of how they should be, so he decides no one else's life is worthwhile.

He's basically a super exaggerated version of a particular brand of asshole we've all met online several times who doesn't believe anyone else matters or has any inherent value at all. The kind of dickhead who simply doesn't care about other people at all.

Basically, he's a pretty neat basis for a villain, in the same way as Freeza, Cell, Piccolo, and any other decent Dragon Ball villain is, but he is basically just a pompous asshole with god powers.

That's not to say no one is allowed to like him, or that he's not allowed to be your favourite villain (if I was saying that, I would be a real dick). In fact, I'm not even saying I think he's bad; on the contrary, he's a well-cast (in both dub and sub) character who plays off of Goku very well. But, I do think he gets put on a pedestal undeservedly, probably just for being Super's one decent villain (unless you count Beers, I suppose?); an overrated villain for an overrated show.

... I guess I'm all hot takes today. :lol:
The fact that Super is filled with "sparring partners" instead of actual villains/threats definitely makes Zamasu stand out. But it's simply the fact that he feels unique compared to all other villains, because he isn't some kind of monster (Cell, Buu, Moro) or tyrant (Piccolo, Frieza), but a Supreme Kai-gone rogue who believes he's doing the right thing. That's a refreshing concept for a DB character, the Kais have always been portrayed as kind and benevolent, so having one of them lose faith and go rogue was original.

Also I'm pretty sure that the idea of a "Rogue Supreme Kai" was super popular in fanfic before the Future Trunks arc, so it's not a surprise that Zamasu and Goku Black (popular idea of "Evil Goku") are so popular. I wouldn't really call them overrated, it's just a type of character that the fandom has been interested in for years. And the writers were smart to capitalize on that interest.