Most Overrated Character (Besides Goku and Vegeta)?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Re: Most Overrated Character (Besides Goku and Vegeta)?

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:55 pm

I feel like people saying Broly are in denial about what the wider appeal of this franchise is. lol To that end however, despite that initial blowback, a lot of people actually like Jiren and I have no god damn idea why. 1) He has no personality (YEAH BROLY I'M AWARE), 2) he has a completely boring aesthetic, 3) he has zero lore backing him, 4) he seriously does not have any interesting fight scenes, he's actually more interesting when he doesn't fight, 5) his character "arc" is lame as hell.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:22 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:41 pm On the topic of Goku Black: I, for one, consider him and Kai Zamasu as the same. Not just because Black is literally a body swapped Zamasu, but because he is merely an inseparable and integral piece of Zamasu's character. Because of that, I feel like Black is a tad overrated, but he did provide an interesting variation of Zamasu.
With this in mind, it would have been interesting if Black did ultimately prove to be a being unique from Zamasu. He was different enough, but it would have been better to see him show a little more autonomy when Zamasu entered into the story. It would have solidified him as his own character. If the arc ended differently, maybe this would have been a possibility.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:04 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:55 pm I feel like people saying Broly are in denial about what the wider appeal of this franchise is. lol To that end however, despite that initial blowback, a lot of people actually like Jiren and I have no god damn idea why. 1) He has no personality (YEAH BROLY I'M AWARE), 2) he has a completely boring aesthetic, 3) he has zero lore backing him, 4) he seriously does not have any interesting fight scenes, he's actually more interesting when he doesn't fight, 5) his character "arc" is lame as hell.
I still say Jiren would’ve worked best if he was a genuinely heroic character, as opposed to a brooding loner who talks smack about his opponents and “doesn’t believe in friendship.” The manga does a slightly better job with that, since we do at least see him do something heroic in his introduction, and he never tries to kill Goku’s friends, but there still isn’t much there.

Nagyzöld
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nagyzöld » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:06 am

From the top of my head I'd say Roshi. He was a key character in the original Dragon Ball, which retired to background comic relief in DBZ. But ultimately he did gave up on training as he reached his maximum potential and got old. So why the hell did they pump him up so much and bring him on par with characters with power levels of tens of zeros, is a mystery. That, and desperately trying to suck an emotional response out of us. I didn't give two damns when he supposedly passed away during the ToP, frankly.

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:50 am

Gohan clearly. I could also add Vegetto, Gogeta, Bardock, Hit, Kale/Caulifla, Black.

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:37 am

Kinokima wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:12 am
UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:34 pm Ah yeah 17 for sure. Never understood his appeal, especially in Super (Anime).
I do understand his appeal but in the Anime TOP I felt the director or whoever was just a bit too in love him. He was honestly portrayed too perfectly. I wanted him to have some flaws & growth on screen.

I didn’t really have an issue with how he was portrayed in the Manga TOP. He didn’t really have any particular flaws there either but he wasn’t as front and center there either despite still being the winner.
Yeah in the Super (Anime) it was really jarring just how perfect he was. One of the parts that really urked me was when he self destructed and they wasted all that screen time only for him to not be dead. It was such cheesy bad writing and made me hate the character.

I mean he is able to juggle a family life but also be the first one to hurt Jiren... It's weird how perfect he was.
We the ones

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:53 pm

Tenshinhan after the Saiyan arc. I dont see much difference between him, Krillin and Yamcha but I often see people acting like he's anything impressive and other two are just weaklings.

DBS episode 90 comes to mind. Goku/Tenshinhan vs Gohan/Piccolo. Some people were pissed how Gohan one punched Tenshinhan and I don't see any reason why Adult Gohan should even struggle against him. The same people who complain about power levels not making sense. :lol:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:10 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:53 pm Tenshinhan after the Saiyan arc. I dont see much difference between him, Krillin and Yamcha but I often see people acting like he's anything impressive and other two are just weaklings.

DBS episode 90 comes to mind. Goku/Tenshinhan vs Gohan/Piccolo. Some people were pissed how Gohan one punched Tenshinhan and I don't see any reason why Adult Gohan should even struggle against him. The same people who complain about power levels not making sense. :lol:
People are in denial about what a jobber Tenshinhan is. Even in the Moro Arc it's made clear he isn't any stronger than Yamcha (Yamcha, the patron saint of shonen jobbers).

I understand the appeal of the character. He has an interesting moveset and distinct look. He's also one of the few characters to have had a satisfying arc. But Dragon Ball doesn't care about interesting moves or satisfying character arcs. It cares about what new hair color it can give Goku.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

evirus

Post by evirus » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:06 pm

Cell. He’s just conceptually boring, a mishmash of of traits found in every character created for the sole purpose of :yawn:

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:14 pm

evirus wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:06 pm Cell. He’s just conceptually boring, a mishmash of of traits found in every character created for the sole purpose of :yawn:
I forgot about Cell but I definitely think that he is overrated as well. I get that he has a cool design and all that, but what else does he have? nothing special.
FortuneSSJ wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:53 pm Tenshinhan after the Saiyan arc. I dont see much difference between him, Krillin and Yamcha but I often see people acting like he's anything impressive and other two are just weaklings.
I never understandood all the care for Yamcha... I've read Dragon Ball and he was just a gag character at the beginning and he has never done anything impressive. I could say the same thing about Krillin as well.

Ironixie

Post by Ironixie » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:56 pm

Well, Vegeta was my top answer so if I can't say him then I guess Kelfa, she's not really interesting, neither is Vegito. Any character built to just be cool, will quickly meet themselves on the overrated list. Preteen Gohan too, I like his teenager self more with the whole slice of life thing that went on. Although there are characters who I don't like who wasn't built for the cool factor, I don't like android 18 because all her personality is, is money and I don't like Krillin because he is bald and short has no money, and still somehow got a wife, that doesn't exist and that's too unrealistic even for a show with aliens and a dog for a president. That's just not real bro, I draw the line there.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:37 am

SSJ2 Cell Saga Gohan. I can't believe I'm saying this, since Gohan (all versions) is my favorite character in all of Dragon Ball. However, I've noticed that people's perceptions of SSJ2 Cell-era Gohan are so great that they don't tend to notice the many other times he's been great, specifically before. I mean...I get it. SSJ2 Gohan is such a memorable transformation, and he put on an incredible display of power. However, I actually prefer SSJ1 Cell Saga Gohan, especially with the cape. He was already stronger than Goku, and he had a calmness that had not been seen in Gohan until that point. Tbh though, my favorite version of Gohan is from the Namek/Frieza sagas. Maybe the terrible bowl cut is why you don't hear as much praise for that version of Gohan, but during this time he didn't hesitate to act, even when he was scared. You could really see the effects of his training with Piccolo and his fight against the Saiyans, that he had been molded into a reluctant but determined warrior. Plus the bloodlust SSJ2 Gohan showed against Cell keeps this from being my favorite version of him.

Don't get me wrong, I love SSJ2 Kid Gohan. I just think he gets massively more love in that state (compared to Frieza Gohan and SSJ1 Gohan) than he deserves.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:45 am

Ironixie wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:56 pm I don't like Krillin because he is bald and short has no money, and still somehow got a wife, that doesn't exist and that's too unrealistic even for a show with aliens and a dog for a president. That's just not real bro, I draw the line there.
Sure, Krillin was a bit of a simp, but that is the most idiotic reason for disliking a character i have heard.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:34 am

Ironixie wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:56 pm
, is money and I don't like Krillin because he is bald and short has no money, and still somehow got a wife, that doesn't exist and that's too unrealistic even for a show with aliens and a dog for a president. That's just not real bro, I draw the line there.
It does happen though? It’s just another Toriyama type romance where he completely skips over the courtship so we have to fill in the gaps of the 7 years. But plenty of people marry out of their league all the time.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:55 am

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:45 am
Ironixie wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:56 pm I don't like Krillin because he is bald and short has no money, and still somehow got a wife, that doesn't exist and that's too unrealistic even for a show with aliens and a dog for a president. That's just not real bro, I draw the line there.
Sure, Krillin was a bit of a simp, but that is the most idiotic reason for disliking a character i have heard.
lmao if you're calling Krillin a simp then it's obviously not that idiotic a reason to dislike a character.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:05 am

It might be a joke, but it's funny to me that people still believe women only care about money and good looks lol. Ever heard of personality? no wonder people struggle so much finding a mate.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:46 am

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:55 am
PurestEvil wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:45 am
lmao if you're calling Krillin a simp then it's obviously not that idiotic a reason to dislike a character.
The reason that I was mocking was: "he is bald and short has no money, and still somehow got a wife".
very discriminatory thinking, there...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:07 am

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:46 am The reason that I was mocking was: "he is bald and short has no money, and still somehow got a wife".
very discriminatory thinking, there...
Not really. Krillin's a classic nice guy "simp" type character. Unattractive, broke dude bags blonde bombshell. Seems really obvious why someone wouldn't like him and there's nothing discriminatory about it.

Now, I like Krillin. I think he's great! Probably my favorite character in the series. But he isn't some out of left field pick for 'overrated character.'

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:24 am

I like that we’re now unironically calling Krillin a simp when he was perfectly willing to let 18 be happy with 17 when he assumed they were couple and made his wish so they could be together. That seems 100 percent antithetical to simp/Nice Guy TM

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:32 am

Krillin falls perfectly into the nice guy and simp stereotypes. 'Nice guy' and 'simp' don't just refer to passive aggressive guys looking for sex. They're like Captain Save-A-Ho and white knight, catch all terms for meek guys who are a little too deferential to the women around them.