Most Overrated Character (Besides Goku and Vegeta)?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Most Overrated Character (Besides Goku and Vegeta)?

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:37 am

The whole incel/mgtow subculture never amazes me in the depths of embarrassing and cringe it sinks to.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:45 am

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:05 am It might be a joke, but it's funny to me that people still believe women only care about money and good looks lol. Ever heard of personality? no wonder people struggle so much finding a mate.
Confidence and money are neck and neck as far what can really hold a lady's interest long term. Psychical features, can get you in the door but if your self esteem is low, you could lose her attention pretty quickly, even after sex.

As far as Krillin and 18's relationship goes, its just another example of Toriyama really not being that good at illustrating romance. Making a fool of yourself for a woman who isn't interested in you is SIMP 101, Krillin showed signs of that, but his willingness to let her go ( which is a good thing) is most likely when the light bulb went off in 18's head. So ultimately she got with him because he was probably the only person that genuinely cared about her besides 16 and more so 17.

No one should be using Dragon Ball as a guideline on how to get a girl at all though, you wont be doing yourself any favors lol
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:52 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:37 am The whole incel/mgtow subculture never amazes me in the depths of embarrassing and cringe it sinks to.
Simp and nice guy aren't incel terms lmao
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:59 am

Most celebrity Rappers and Athletes are Grade A simps. They have the money to woe any chick but their confidence in most of those situations is in the fucking trash can.

Incels feel entitled to women but don't wanna put in any work to get them. MGTOW guys were simps who've pulled a Zamasu and gone too far off the deep end to where they think all women are bad leechy parasites.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:49 pm

Gohan for me.

I remember in primary school I had friends who loved him but I just never got it, personally. I found him boring. I was never particularly interested in his "potential" and the whole needing to be enraged to tap into it thing. Always found him very "meh" in general, apart from when he had his potential unlocked by Old Kai. I always thought a Tien quote from that period summed up my feelings best; "hardly recognise you Gohan. You've changed a lot, inside and out. Good for you". Expressed this opinion as a comment on a YouTube video once and was met with abuse from Gohan's more fanatical supporters, which leads to my other big issue with him - his fanbase.

Having said all of that, I've always been a fan of and wanted to see more of characters like Yamcha, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, etc, who have never really been any good, so what do I know!
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:56 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:07 am
PurestEvil wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:46 am The reason that I was mocking was: "he is bald and short has no money, and still somehow got a wife".
very discriminatory thinking, there...
Not really. Krillin's a classic nice guy "simp" type character. Unattractive, broke dude bags blonde bombshell. Seems really obvious why someone wouldn't like him and there's nothing discriminatory about it.
Maybe if that other guy is jealous, sure. Women can have preferences to midgets, y'know.
BTW, I like Krillin, too. He had valid reasons for his little "nice guy" episode.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:38 pm

Kuririn is a card-carrying Simp, a Cuck, an Incel, a MGTOW, a White Knight, a Niceguy, a Beta and a Virgin Soy-Boy.

And I love him.

In all seriousness, I see nothing inherently wrong with Kuririn and Android #18's relationship. It was clunkily conveyed at first because, as others have said, Toriyama doesn't bother with romance. Toriyama has also said he excels at writing the middle parts of people's stories, so their relationship really gets good after they're married. Anyway, the idea of someone like #18 being attracted to Kuririn isn't that far fetched. People date out of their league all the time, I know I sure have (in both directions if we're being totally honest). Kuririn's not a 'NiceGuy' because he genuinely is a nice guy at heart and he visibly cares about #18.

I loved seeing more of their dynamic in Super and GT. While lines like "make sure dinner's ready" may seem a bit dodgy, it's clear to me that #18 lets Kuririn get away with stuff like that because she likes Kuririn to be assertive and masculine. In the vast majority of situations, she's the dominant one. Her rampage against #17 to avenge oldman Kuririn in GT is easily one of the best scenes in that whole show (plus I dig her full Karen yuppie wardrobe).

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:40 pm

krillin rocks, this creepy way to talk about women, less so.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:10 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:38 pm Kuririn is a card-carrying Simp, a Cuck, an Incel, a MGTOW, a White Knight, a Niceguy, a Beta and a Virgin Soy-Boy.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you covered all the r/redpilled terms.
In all seriousness, I see nothing inherently wrong with Kuririn and Android #18's relationship. It was clunkily conveyed at first because, as others have said, Toriyama doesn't bother with romance. Toriyama has also said he excels at writing the middle parts of people's stories, so their relationship really gets good after they're married.
The biggest issue is their big romantic moment in the Cell saga is....18 being touched Kuririn tried to wish her and 17 human again and then wished their bombs removed. And then 7 years later they’re together and have a kid! We just have to assume they didn’t immediately get together like a week after the Cell arc ended.
Kuririn's not a 'NiceGuy' because he genuinely is a nice guy at heart and he visibly cares about #18.
This. Kuririn’s niceness doesn’t begin and end with the hope that if he’s nice enough 18 will sleep with him.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:48 pm

A 30 year old man hooking up with a teenager is probably the most questionable thing about Kuririn and 18's relationship for me.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:51 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:10 pm
Kuririn's not a 'NiceGuy' because he genuinely is a nice guy at heart and he visibly cares about #18.
This. Kuririn’s niceness doesn’t begin and end with the hope that if he’s nice enough 18 will sleep with him.
Even if you were right, that would still make Krillin a simp and a 'nice guy.' Like I said, simping isn't just about trying to win favor for sex. It's also about the dynamic a guy has with the woman he's simping for.

But also, Krillin's niceness does begin with his attraction to 18. He wasn't hesitating to press that button because he believes every life deserves a chance or whatever. Krillin was attracted to 18 and, owing to a lifetime of wanting a girlfriend, found it hard to terminate her life. If it had been 17 hiding from Cell, it is very unlikely Krillin would have destroyed that remote.

I assume, of course. Maybe Krillin's bi and realizes that both twins look great in a two piece swimsuit. I just don't see that as likely.
MyVisionity wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:48 pm A 30 year old man hooking up with a teenager is probably the most questionable thing about Kuririn and 18's relationship for me.
We don't actually know 18's age do we? And it's fuzzy as to when they finally do hook up so the age gap never bothered me. But I can see how it could.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:13 pm

Screw this whole "nice guy" bull crap. People used that term at the drop of a hat. The point is that "nice guys" feel they are owed something. Kuririn doesn't feels he's owed anything. That's why he isn't what people here are claiming. And so what if he hesitates to kill someone he's attracted to? He doesn't feel she owes him anything for that act. He seems more confused by that kiss than anything else and by her vague attraction to him.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:22 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:10 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:38 pm Kuririn is a card-carrying Simp, a Cuck, an Incel, a MGTOW, a White Knight, a Niceguy, a Beta and a Virgin Soy-Boy.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you covered all the r/redpilled terms.
In all seriousness, I see nothing inherently wrong with Kuririn and Android #18's relationship. It was clunkily conveyed at first because, as others have said, Toriyama doesn't bother with romance. Toriyama has also said he excels at writing the middle parts of people's stories, so their relationship really gets good after they're married.
The biggest issue is their big romantic moment in the Cell saga is....18 being touched Kuririn tried to wish her and 17 human again and then wished their bombs removed. And then 7 years later they’re together and have a kid! We just have to assume they didn’t immediately get together like a week after the Cell arc ended.
Yeah, and didn't he also wish to remove the bombs from the androids so they could live happily ever after together before knowing they were related? that's as selfless as you could get in front of a magic dragon while being in love.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:35 pm

Is Marron's age ever given in the beginning of the Boo Arc? Goku and Chichi got pregnant a year after the 23rd tournament, Trunks was at most a year old as the Android Arc started to heat up and we know Goten was exactly seven on the dot around the time we first meet him, I don't recall anything about Marron's age outside of her being 10 years older like everyone else at the end of the story.

On topic, I don't see how anyone can say Krillin is overrated and be serious about it, he's legit known for being the loveable loser, besides Yamcha. The fact that he managed to get "The Girl" after all, is the pay off to his short comings, no pun intended.

Side Note : I really don't think Kanzenshuu is the ideal place to discuss Red Pill ideologies but for anyone wondering, the long and short of it, is to teach guys how to make themselves more respectable, amongst not only other men but women as well, like knowing how to and when to back off when a woman isn't interested or no longer interested and how to stand firm on whatever boundaries you set for yourself. Some of it can get pretty silly but for the most part it has merit.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:38 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:13 pm Screw this whole "nice guy" bull crap. People used that term at the drop of a hat.
Yeah that's how dismissive insults work.
And so what if he hesitates to kill someone he's attracted to?
So it goes against the claim that Krillin wasn't motivated by his life long desire for a girlfriend.
Koitsukai wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:22 pm Yeah, and didn't he also wish to remove the bombs from the androids so they could live happily ever after together before knowing they were related? that's as selfless as you could get in front of a magic dragon while being in love.
And what would a simp or white knight have done in this situation?

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:41 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:51 pm Even if you were right, that would still make Krillin a simp and a 'nice guy.' Like I said, simping isn't just about trying to win favor for sex. It's also about the dynamic a guy has with the woman he's simping for.
Bro, this is cringe. What about Kuririn dynamic with #18 is anything like "simping" or "nice guy" behaviour? If it's not about winning favours for sex then what is it? It feels like this could apply to literally anyone in history who's felt a romantic or sexual attraction to someone.
But also, Krillin's niceness does begin with his attraction to 18. He wasn't hesitating to press that button because he believes every life deserves a chance or whatever. Krillin was attracted to 18 and, owing to a lifetime of wanting a girlfriend, found it hard to terminate her life. If it had been 17 hiding from Cell, it is very unlikely Krillin would have destroyed that remote.

I assume, of course. Maybe Krillin's bi and realizes that both twins look great in a two piece swimsuit. I just don't see that as likely.
Yes, he's attracted to her, but what's so bad about that? He may look like a monk but Kuririn's never been an ascetic sort. He was also indebted to her for sparing him and his friends. I think Kuririn would've still had a hard time with the prospect of killing #17 in that situation 'cause blowing a person up is a pretty big decision whether you fancy the person or not. Plus, he knew that #17 and #18 had a close connection even though he didn't realise they were siblings, so killing #17 wouldn't ingratiate himself to #18 if that was his only goal. He ultimately asked for Shenron to remove both of their bombs so he's not totally biased to #18.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:45 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:38 pm
ABED wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:13 pm Screw this whole "nice guy" bull crap. People used that term at the drop of a hat.
Yeah that's how dismissive insults work.
And so what if he hesitates to kill someone he's attracted to?
So it goes against the claim that Krillin wasn't motivated by his life long desire for a girlfriend.
Koitsukai wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:22 pm Yeah, and didn't he also wish to remove the bombs from the androids so they could live happily ever after together before knowing they were related? that's as selfless as you could get in front of a magic dragon while being in love.
But he doesn't do anything else. He doesn't expect her to date him just because he lets her go. He's not motivated to make her his girlfriend. Sure he likes her but his desire for a girlfriend isn't what's motivating him.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:53 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:41 pm Bro, this is cringe. What about Kuririn dynamic with #18 is anything like "simping" or "nice guy" behaviour? If it's not about winning favours for sex then what is it? It feels like this could apply to literally anyone in history who's felt a romantic or sexual attraction to someone.
He jeopardized the safety of everyone on the planet because he was into 18. That's simping on a level that even Pokimane subs would look down on.
Yes, he's attracted to her, but what's so bad about that?
I don't think there's anything wrong with what Krillin did or why he did it. I only mentioned it because the person I was replying to made the claim that Krillin wasn't motivated by a desire for sex. This is about setting the record straight, not condeming Krillin.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:13 pm

Nobody is denying his sparing 18 was motivated by his attraction to her. The point being made is that he isn’t nice to her under the assumption she’ll date him because he’s so nice and let her live. Which is what a Nice Guy TM would do. He actually assumes she’s with 17 and tries to wish them both human so they can be together.

This whole whole line of thinking is toxic as shit. He’s not doing it for brownie points or to sleep with her. All the white knight/simp/nice guy junk is about a guy thinking the mere act of being nice will mean he’ll get sex out of it.

Being nice with no ulterior motive simply because he does have a crush on her does not make him a simp
or a white knight.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:29 pm

With a magical wish-granting dragon in front of them? probably something for themselves, I guess.