Most Overrated Character (Besides Goku and Vegeta)?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Re: Most Overrated Character (Besides Goku and Vegeta)?

Post by nhienphan2808 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:36 pm

Did i mention Bulma. Together with Vegeta's "development" which somehow erases his flaws, people seems to forget she can be a bitch. And not in the "brave bad bitch" way because she's not as brave as made out to be. She's a plot device and fodder for self insert as of DBS.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:31 pm

I don't see how the answer can't be Gohan. Fans praise him for moments like the Cell Games where he's uber powerful, but when his true character shines (e.i. Gt. Saiyaman arc), they complain.

Also, Broly. Both his Z and Super counterparts. One is a generic doomsday villain while the other is a poorly written mary sue.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:22 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:31 pm I don't see how the answer can't be Gohan. Fans praise him for moments like the Cell Games where he's uber powerful, but when his true character shines (e.i. Gt. Saiyaman arc), they complain.
Are you sure this counts as “overrating”? This is simply a misunderstanding.
poorly written mary sue
You don’t know what a Mary Sue is...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

NickLord
Banned Alternate Account

Post by NickLord » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:42 pm

The reason answer is Piccolo. Way too fans think he's the best written character in the franchise when in reality he hasn't had a single piece of good writing attached to him nor any real development after the Saiyan saga. Fans also think he's one of the smartest characters when in reality he's just as prone to being stupid for the sake of the plot as the rest of the cast.

NickLord
Banned Alternate Account

Post by NickLord » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:39 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:31 pm I don't see how the answer can't be Gohan. Fans praise him for moments like the Cell Games where he's uber powerful, but when his true character shines (e.i. Gt. Saiyaman arc), they complain.

Also, Broly. Both his Z and Super counterparts. One is a generic doomsday villain while the other is a poorly written mary sue.
The only thing "mary sue" ish about about DBS Broly is his power level, which itself could easily be justified since he's the Legendary SSJ of Myth.

Civic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Civic » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:38 pm

Frieza for me. I was never a huge fan of his to begin with (I do really like his inclusion in the ToP, though). I don't dislike him, but absolutely think he's overrated.

Osmium

Post by Osmium » Sat May 07, 2022 11:36 am

I really can’t believe the conversation surrounding Kuririn turned into if he’s a “simp and white Knight” or not. He’s about the furthest thing from that.

First of all, there’s obviously an implication that he has a crush on 18 when he destroys the remote, but it also comes off to me as a general guilt towards killing another living person (or android) when he doesn’t have to. Sure 17 and 18 have wreaked havoc, but they’re not irredeemable villains like how Vegeta for instance was, when it took Goku pleading for Kuririn to let him go. It seems like a more complex issue in his mind than just a yearning for a partner.

Then when they’re on the lookout, Kuririn wishes for their bombs to be removed from their bodies because “he feels bad for them”. He didn’t even know that 18 was still around because she appeared to fly off. It’s not like he was doing it to gain nice guy points because as far as he knows she wasn’t there to hear it and it seems like there was no physical feeling in her when the bomb was removed, so she wouldn’t have known the bomb was removed if she left. If Kuririn somehow found her afterwards and told her he wished for the bomb to be removed, she wouldn’t even have a reason to believe him. It clearly doesn’t seem like he was doing it to be a “simp”.

On top of that, he says that he thinks 17 and 18 are a good couple just after. Even though he says he likes her he seems to respect that she doesn’t reciprocate his feelings and just does it because he thinks they deserve it. That’s not “simp” or “nice guy TM” behaviour in the slightest. He wasn’t doing it for anything in return, he just felt it was the right thing to do for a person he likes.

I seriously wish the terms simp and nice guy would go away already, along with incel and all similar. These words have lost essentially all their meaning outside of using them to describe people you don’t like.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat May 07, 2022 3:14 pm

I liked that Krillin destroyed the remote. It makes him human and likeable. Him killing 18 in cold blood would have been out of character and just plain wrong.

I'm not sure who I'd consider to be overrated, although I feel like Super tries too hard to hype up Beerus at times.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Sun May 08, 2022 6:06 am

The Fusions, Raditz, manga Cell

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue May 10, 2022 9:58 am

Cell arc Gohan, not that this version of the character is bad, but it belonged to a time and served it's purpose, yet a lot of people want it back. Gohan got to show what he's capable of when pushed to the edge and realised being a warrior first and foremost wasn't for him. If he never had his chance to shine in battle I'd understand, but he did and made an informed decision.

Don't get me wrong, I loved watching Gohan beat the crap out of the Cell Juniors as a kid, and will rewatch now and again for the spectacle, but I don't know why people want more of that. It's far more interesting that Goku and Gohan are father and son, and the latter isn't a clone of the former.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: