Most Overrated Character (Besides Goku and Vegeta)?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PanSimpson
Banned

Most Overrated Character (Besides Goku and Vegeta)?

Post by PanSimpson » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:50 pm

Sorry if this has been asked many times on here, but I don’t want to bump a really thread so...who do you think is the most overrated character of the series besides Goku and Vegeta?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Most Overrated Character (Besides Goku and Vegeta)?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:01 am

You did the right thing! We dont necropost so if you dont find any current threads with the topic you want just make one.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:34 am

Broly. And to make things worse, there's literally nothing interesting about him.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:42 am

Coola, Zamas/Black, Roshi, Jiren, and Kale (as well as everyone else introduced in the Tournament of Power arc who gets any notable fan appreciation except for Caulifla).

Roshi is awful yet is still considered a beloved character in some circles, Coola is completely boring, Zamas is good but not great and I do not understand the hype, and the two from the TOP are very insubstantial. To Kale's credit specifically, even though she's pretty much exactly a genderswapped Z Broly with less agency and in a worse story, I could see her growing into a worthwhile character with time, if we see her in future arcs (Caulifla could also grow a lot if she's revisited, but she already has a strong personality that immediately impresses. Give us an arc where Goku and Vegeta hang out on her planet, please). Jiren, not so much. He's a completely bland character whose only value is in being the opponent Goku was fighting when the animation suddenly got very good at the very end of the TOP arc.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:48 am

Bardock Classic. I don’t hate the guy but the fandom does overrate him and Toriyama Jor-Elifying him doesn’t bother me

Broli- Both versions. Koyama and Toriyama. I do admit to enjoying Toriyama’s reinterpretation well enough

Jiren- If you look up uninspired in the dictionary you’ll see his photo. Bland design, cliche backstory, boring personality. I utterly despise this character. Jiren sucks the big one. He’s basically a retread of Hit a character we were just introduced to two story arcs ago. But at least Hit looks cool and has a more interesting dynamic with Goku and something to make him stand out

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:50 pm

Broly (both Z and DBS), Bardock, Goku Black, Jiren and Kale.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:50 pm

Cooler. Every time I see a thread requesting his return, I can't help but roll my eyes. Don't get me wrong, I like him just fine, but his appeal as an individual character is relatively low for me. His transformations, yeah, they're cool n' all, but his personality is severely lacking. The concept of Freeza's brother could've been interesting, but he really is just Freeza minus all the interesting qualities. Sure, there's ways they could revamp his concept a la Broly, but if I had a gun to my head and had to choose another Z Movie villain to reboot, it probably wouldn't be Cooler.

Son Goten. Similarly, there's a big call for Goten to grow up already, which I agree should've happened long ago, but at this point... Goten could drop off the face of the Earth and I really wouldn't notice or care particularly. To some extent, the writing has been on the wall for a long time. Goten was introduced to bring back the Kid Goku design, then he was used as a Fusion buddy for Trunks, and that's basically been the zenith of his 'relevancy' as a character. Now he seems to fulfil a similar role to Kid Gohan as the level-headed son compared to his father, except he doesn't get involved in fights, so he's just useless. Even his adult design rips off Yamcha for some unknown reason, so I'm not gagging for that to return either. I will make a concession that what they did with him in GT was genuinely fun and interesting, but that was too good to last for poor old Goten.

Merus. I love this guy's storyline concept, his retro-chic design, his final battle against Moro. But, simply put, he doesn't feel like a Dragon Ball character. He has no personality traits beyond being a really competent hero guy. His relationship to Goku is severely undercooked. Their friendship doesn't develop in an organic or endearing way, like Goku's first meetings with Bulma, Kuririn, Yajirobe, etc. They just sort of... get along. And that's boring. It always bugged me that, just before his climactic sacrifice, we get a flashback to some previously unseen interaction in the Room of Spirit and Time where they talk about Goku's magnetic personality, in a very "telling-not-showing" fashion. Transparently trying to flesh out a character's relationship just before they die because you neglected to in previous chapters, well... it's not exactly corrigible.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:58 pm

Zamasu. Some people seem to have a creepy, cult-like obsession with him.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:43 pm

Saiyans in general. The franchise would be much better if they weren't given so much focus over the other races. Other than that, even though you say "besides Vegeta", I'd have to say, Vegeta and then Gohan. I like these two characters but when you think of their fighting styles and what they bring into the story, they're presented as less interesting versions of Goku. I already don't find Goku to be all that interesting but with the way he fights especially, he's leaps and bounds ahead of them. It always surprises me just how many people are Vegeta fans.

I'll add that, I like what they're doing with the characters as of the Moro arc as it feels better than before with each having something somewhat unique from Goku. Vegeta was also at his most interesting character-wise for me in the Moro arc. And Gohan focusing on combo techniques with Piccolo and diving back into rage boosts is pretty neat.

But please, if we have a new DB show with a new protag, please don't over-focus on the Saiyans. I want to like them, but they oversaturate the show these days to the detriment of other cool characters.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:47 pm

Raditz's fandom completely mystifies me. On one hand I get being fascinated by the idea of Goku's brother but like...the guy offered NO likeable redeeming qualities and was quickly tossed aside. And yet he is the launcher of a thousand bad redemption fics.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:22 pm

Bardock - Overrated doesn't have to mean bad, we all like Bardock right?

Broly (Z/S) - Just like above, i like OG Broly from first movie, but this character was always overrated af

Gogeta - I like him a lot more than Vegetto, but he, Bardock and Broly always made that overhyped "non canon" (*For Bardock i mean anime tv special, since he was actually mentioned in manga) trio and there's a reason why all tree appeared in single DBS movie so they can be introduced to "canon"

Goku Black - or Zamasu in general, but it's mostly Goku Black. Not only the worst version of Zamasu but also way more popular than his other incarnations for some reasons i can't understand

Bulma - Most popular female character in DB i believe, but i never liked her except for her Buu saga (coolest and most beautiful), DBZ future version and more or less GT version for aiding Vegeta

Cell - Honestly i only liked his first form and i'd like entire saga to be about #16, #17 and #18 instead

Frieza - Not a bad character at all, he was actually great in his arc, but he was overused for years and pretty much every version of him after Namek was awful

"Teen" Gohan SSJ2 - Really, worst Gohan ever

Omega Shenron - Even though i like him and he was the perfect final villain for such franchise, he was almost as bland as Jiren and Broly and there were just better dragons than him like Nuova, Haze and Oceanus, perhaps even Naturon

Jiren - No personality, no techniques, very generic design. He has nothing but strength. He's only popular because he made Goku achieve Ultra Instinct and any hype around him comes from a fact he was strong and fought UI Goku. Nerf his strength and make him be defeated in the middle of tournament and no one will remember who this guy even was just like majority of new characters in this arc.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:54 pm

Cell- Two of his three forms have cool designs, but as a character he's pretty generic.

Broly (original)- I've never outright disliked Broly, but he's just as one-note as most of the movie villains and owes his popularity entirely to being a Super Saiyan.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:03 pm

I am going to say overrated as characters I don’t dislike but they get too much attention from the fandom

1) DBS Broly: I like him much more than the old movie Broly but I absolutely do not want him to join the main cast as some fans seem to really want. I think he was fine as a one off movie character but wouldn’t really add much as a main character besides being strong. I actually think adding him would be one of the worst things the series could do

2) Future Gohan: I like the History of Trunks special a lot . But a lot of fans seem to wish present Gohan grew into this Gohan and I much prefer the contented & happy Gohan we have now with a career and a family.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:15 pm

I never understood the hype behind:
Future Gohan
Cooler
Broly
Turles
Bojack

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:22 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:15 pm
Bojack
It’s a fantastic series that looks at how toxic celebrity and hollywood culture are, the cost of self destructive behavior, the cycle of abuse and alcoholism, and self hatred and depression.

Oh you mean the pirate dude from Z movie 9.

I uh don’t think too many fans care about him.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:18 pm

I nominate Gohan, particularly Cell Games Gohan. Gohan has this weird group of superfans that constantly want him to be front and center, and they often want him to act just like how he did when he was SS2 against Cell. Whenever there's even a remote possibility for it during a story arc, or even when there isn't one, you can find some of these fans whining about how Gohan should be a part of it and how he should get a new power-up and so on and so on. In my opinion, Cell Games Gohan wasn't a very good iteration of Gohan, so to me this definitely comes off as him being overrated.

"Overrated" isn't a very useful term, honestly. Something being overrated or underrated is usually very subjective, as it's based on common opinion in contrast to your own opinion. As far as I understand it, "overrated" essentially just means "people like this thing a lot and I disagree to at least some extent". Not the most solid thing to use when discussing something.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:24 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:47 pm Raditz's fandom completely mystifies me. On one hand I get being fascinated by the idea of Goku's brother but like...the guy offered NO likeable redeeming qualities and was quickly tossed aside. And yet he is the launcher of a thousand bad redemption fics.
I think that the Funi/Ocean version of Raditz is pretty likeable. They gave him funny lines and a sense of humor. Plus Raditz was a bit of a badass, the way he killed and ate that animal in the forest, and talked about piling up the bodies etc etc. The green scouter was also popular with fans. He just has a kind of aura around him.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:39 pm

Zamas/Zamasu. He’s a decent villain, but some people talk about him like he’s this super complex and nuanced character that the franchise has never seen before. The only thing I find particularly unique about him is that he views himself as the good guy, while pretty much every other Dragon Ball villain is fully aware of how evil they are. He’s still pretty cartoonishly evil, especially in the manga.

I’ve also never been all that crazy about Future Trunks. He’s by no means a bad character, but I don’t think he’s fantastic. He’s basically just Kyle Reese if he was a Dragon Ball character.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:53 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:24 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:47 pm Raditz's fandom completely mystifies me. On one hand I get being fascinated by the idea of Goku's brother but like...the guy offered NO likeable redeeming qualities and was quickly tossed aside. And yet he is the launcher of a thousand bad redemption fics.
I think that the Funi/Ocean version of Raditz is pretty likeable. They gave him funny lines and a sense of humor. Plus Raditz was a bit of a badass, the way he killed and ate that animal in the forest, and talked about piling up the bodies etc etc. The green scouter was also popular with fans. He just has a kind of aura around him.
I always thought Shigeru Chiba’s Raditz sounded really cool...in Z. Chiba doesn’t sound like he could give two fucks in Kai.

Jason Stanford is great.

Justin Cook eh he’s uh trying his best?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:11 pm

chiba's raditz was one of the voices that sold me on japanese dragon ball, he sounds so intimidating and his inflection for whenever he talks to goku is perfect.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸