Would a “true” faithful dub ever be possible?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aim
Banned

Re: Would a “true” faithful dub ever be possible?

Post by Aim » Tue May 25, 2021 9:06 am

Hulk10 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:40 pm Kanzenshuu is indeed a much better place than the wikia. You can express your views of the show and manga and you can expect people to be polite even when they disagree with you.
Wikia is a complete disgrace and shouldn’t exist. It should be a parody Dragon Ball wiki. Hopefully when Kanzenshuu’s one is finished it comes up at the top of the search results. I think over time we can kick those pests off the ladder.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue May 25, 2021 2:21 pm

It should do a better job of showing what is and isn't canon to the main story line and it shouldn't have the Ikari form be directly connected to the Legendary Super Saiyan form.

Aim wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:06 am
Hulk10 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:40 pm Kanzenshuu is indeed a much better place than the wikia. You can express your views of the show and manga and you can expect people to be polite even when they disagree with you.
Wikia is a complete disgrace and shouldn’t exist. It should be a parody Dragon Ball wiki. Hopefully when Kanzenshuu’s one is finished it comes up at the top of the search results. I think over time we can kick those pests off the ladder.
I wasn't aware there was progress on the Kanzenshuu wikia.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 25, 2021 2:48 pm

Please note that "Wikia" was a specific brand name used by the Fandom company for their for-profit, fan-maintained wiki sites (before their total rebranding to just using the Fandom name itself a few years back). I know it may seem like a weird distinction to insist on, but we have nothing to do with Fandom or Wikia. We are running the same underlying MediaWiki software, however. We did a public preview live stream back in January showing off just a slice of our progress -

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=45840

We may be quiet, but there is an insane amount of writing, research, translation, and documentation going on at all times.

That said, this is beyond the scope/purpose of this particular thread, so please try to keep it on-topic (and know that you’re welcome to respond in the thread linked above for additional wiki/documentation chat).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue May 25, 2021 3:58 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:28 pm Interestingly Barry Watson's name is no where to be seen on the credits for the Pioneer movie dubs.

With regards to the plans for a full uncut dub with the Ocean Studios cast, I'd have to imagine since Funimation were still a new company they simply decided it wasn't worth the investment, so they chose to do it inhouse.
That's because Barry wasn't involved, Hiroe Tsukamoto & Hideki 'Henry' Goto were producer and executive producer for the films. Gen Fukunaga was only involved as a supervisor but Barry was (wisely) kept away from this production which is exactly why it turned out so much better. He was notorious for keeping incorrect pronunciations while he was director/producer and obviously had no interest in a faithful adaptation or script. The fact that Funi cited his travelling expenses to Vancouver as a reason for moving the series production is laughable in hindsight due to the fact he did more harm than good judging from the end product, and the Canadian dub continued regardless without him.

In regards to the uncut series dub, I have to imagine that Funi had little interest in pursuing a faithful redub simply for the cost alone. Pioneer wanted to do it right by recording a second dub track while Funi went the cheaper route of repurposing the TV dub with small alterations. Pioneer may have also been helping to fund the uncut dubs since they were still the distribution partner. That might've explained why Funi's internal producers had so little influence on it creatively; Because they might not have been footing the bill. Either that or it was written into Pioneer's contract and the movies were an easier way to resolve their agreement once Funi wanted out.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed May 26, 2021 9:50 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:37 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:37 pm
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:26 pm

Somebody did say that, but it was Gen Fukunaga, FUNimation CEO.
https://dbzu.3gkai.com/opinions/bwatson.html
Ah, OK. Fukunaga said it too, but I guess so did Barry Watson. In any event, my guess is that he misspoke here. It really sounds like the uncut version was done with minimal involvement from him, so when he said that Pioneer is doing uncut versions of "the episodes," my guess is that he didn't really understand what Pioneer was (and wasn't) doing.
Both spoke of it but like you said Barry’s comment seemed more like confusion on his part. Pioneer’s involvement amounted to 3 movies. Only one of which had an alternate tv friendly dub

Gen Fukunaga made comments they were looking to produce an alternate faithful uncut English dub but never mentioned Pioneer overseeing it. Later he would backtrack and basically say people wanting a faithful English dub were far too niche of a market and a visually uncut dub had a wider market and hardcore fans would still get the Japanese audio with English subtitles option.

I don’t think Funimation was ever actually going to produce two completely separate dubs with or without Pioneer.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:18 pm

Adamant wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:12 pm
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:40 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:30 am

Correct. And as soon as they tried making their own dub and profit off of it without licensing the show from Toei they would get ordered a ceased and desist pronto.
But what if they said, "Fuck off, Toei, you're just like Nintendo - you shut down any and all fanmade stuff related to your biggest franchises" to that cease and desist? Come on dude, you know I'm right about Toei doing this to fanmade projects.
What if you robbed a bank and just said "Fuck off" to the police when they came for you?
that'd be fucking hilarious, and then you'd maybe get shot to death
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:42 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:01 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:51 amOverall, dubs (or at least those that don't completely butcher the source material like FUNi's old Z dub did) are never going to be completely 1:1 with the Japanese version from a dialogue standpoint. The inherent language difference requires some change in order to make the lines work translated so we can understand them.
On top of that, sometimes a dub's quality can actually be lowered by being too literally adapted. I think there's a lot to love about Netflix's re-dub of Neon Genesis Evangelion, for example, but it was totally needless for Studio Khara to insist that the English dub have their actors use terms like "The Third Children," (since it's actually only referring to one person) just because that's what was used in the original Japanese version. Modifying that term to "The Third Child" like the original ADV dub did was an infinitely better choice.

And actually, 'ya know what? Here's another problem: sometimes the translations provided to dubbing companies aren't that good. My sig used to link to a video where Chris Sabat showcased this at a con, but the video has since been removed. I still have the link up on the off-chance that it's re-uploaded one day. In any event, before Steve Simmons was brought on as FUNimation's translator, he said that FUNimation technically already had translations available to them provided by Toei, but that they were "rather haggard." An example of one such haggard translation is in my sig. You can't do a 1:1 dub script adaptation of a translation like that, it doesn't even make sense as something to use in the subtitles. So just as the translator (Steve Simmons, in this case) had some creative leeway in his translations, so too should dub script writers as long as the reason for that leeway is to create dialogue that is both faithful to the character and natural-sounding in the new language.
I heard a story where an Evangelion film was shown off at a convention and those that worked on the original show were furious at the dub because of all the laughing the audience did, Funi tried to explain politely that convention audiences tend to be more enthusiastic but they original guys just wouldn't let up on hating on the dub, so Funimation had to do a more faithful dub and it sounded really lifeless and boring as a result, wonder if the original creators regret throwing that embarrassing temper tantrum now?

Another case where being too faithful isn't so great was ADV's uncut dub of Saint Seiya, as the voice-acting was so dull and monotone(so bad that i'll bet anyone complaining about DBZ's dubbing will reconsider after hearing it)that the scripts being faithful ultimately didn't matter as it felt like like the voice-actors had no passion at all for what they were doing and they sounded horribly inexperienced. Whereas DiC's Knights of the Zodiac dub was edited and changed a bunch of stuff(though it was a more faithful dub then Sailor Moon as they kept the characters original names and actually acknowledged that the series took place in Japan)but it had much better voice-acting as it's voice-cast was considerably more experienced and they really gave it their all(even some of the voices weren't entirely fitting, like Hyoga's surfer accent)which made it a better experience for me personally.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:05 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:42 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:51 amOverall, dubs (or at least those that don't completely butcher the source material like FUNi's old Z dub did) are never going to be completely 1:1 with the Japanese version from a dialogue standpoint. The inherent language difference requires some change in order to make the lines work translated so we can understand them.
On top of that, sometimes a dub's quality can actually be lowered by being too literally adapted. I think there's a lot to love about Netflix's re-dub of Neon Genesis Evangelion, for example, but it was totally needless for Studio Khara to insist that the English dub have their actors use terms like "The Third Children," (since it's actually only referring to one person) just because that's what was used in the original Japanese version. Modifying that term to "The Third Child" like the original ADV dub did was an infinitely better choice.

And actually, 'ya know what? Here's another problem: sometimes the translations provided to dubbing companies aren't that good. My sig used to link to a video where Chris Sabat showcased this at a con, but the video has since been removed. I still have the link up on the off-chance that it's re-uploaded one day. In any event, before Steve Simmons was brought on as FUNimation's translator, he said that FUNimation technically already had translations available to them provided by Toei, but that they were "rather haggard." An example of one such haggard translation is in my sig. You can't do a 1:1 dub script adaptation of a translation like that, it doesn't even make sense as something to use in the subtitles. So just as the translator (Steve Simmons, in this case) had some creative leeway in his translations, so too should dub script writers as long as the reason for that leeway is to create dialogue that is both faithful to the character and natural-sounding in the new language.
I heard a story where an Evangelion film was shown off at a convention and those that worked on the original show were furious at the dub because of all the laughing the audience did, Funi tried to explain politely that convention audiences tend to be more enthusiastic but they original guys just wouldn't let up on hating on the dub, so Funimation had to do a more faithful dub and it sounded really lifeless and boring as a result, wonder if the original creators regret throwing that embarrassing temper tantrum now?

Another case where being too faithful isn't so great was ADV's uncut dub of Saint Seiya, as the voice-acting was so dull and monotone(so bad that i'll bet anyone complaining about DBZ's dubbing will reconsider after hearing it)that the scripts being faithful ultimately didn't matter as it felt like like the voice-actors had no passion at all for what they were doing and they sounded horribly inexperienced. Whereas DiC's Knights of the Zodiac dub was edited and changed a bunch of stuff(though it was a more faithful dub then Sailor Moon as they kept the characters original names and actually acknowledged that the series took place in Japan)but it had much better voice-acting as it's voice-cast was considerably more experienced and they really gave it their all(even some of the voices weren't entirely fitting, like Hyoga's surfer accent)which made it a better experience for me personally.
I've watched some of the DiC Seiya dub, and it definitely didn't seem quite as heavily edited as their dub of Sailor Moon/SM R was.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:06 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:05 pm

I've watched some of the DiC Seiya dub, and it definitely didn't seem quite as heavily edited as their dub of Sailor Moon/R was.
Yeah I was surprised by how much fighting they actually kept in, especially in the tournament arc at the very start.

So you've watched some of it eh? Did you get the DVDs or are you watching the episodes that I uploaded onto the Internet Archive? I've managed to upload every volume of the dub except volume 8 as that one is insanely rare as it got released right when ADV were on the verge of bankruptcy so it had a low production run as a result.
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:14 am
Aim wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:21 am “The cat said, I’m fur real?
Yep that’s more of a Kaio joke
Dream on if you think funimation would ever do that. I’m talking about a company that cares.
This has nothing to do with what I said. I said Funimation won’t and a hypothetical new licensee has no reason too.

To say it’s too late when there’s been multiple opportunities is vacuous,
Where are the multiple opportunities? Kai?

Dragon Ball is going to drop popularity again one day, that will be the day there’s a chance for resurrection of the series.
Here’s the thing Dragon Ball hasn’t been allowed to die or be forgotten in the West. After GT, Funimation immediately goes back to redub the first 67 episodes and first 3 Z movies with their homegrown cast in 2005. Then the season sets come out in 2007. Which sold extremely well like in the top 10. They still sell well. Mike’s podcast interview with a former Funimation brand manager had him mentioning Z outsold Kai 2 to 1 even when they were pushing Kai as the definitive version.

And then of course Kai came out almost immediately following the season sets and then Super and then all the video games in between.

This isn’t like Sailor Moon where for a good decade the franchise ceased to exist in the West allowing for a complete redub in 2014. (Also the censorship in the old Sailor Moon dub has always been a joke with its erasing of queerness, Dragon Ball’s censorship of whitewashing eastern religion and culture and downplaying sexual antics has always been more socially acceptable to a Western audience) Dragon Ball hasn’t gone anywhere and it isn’t going anywhere to be forgotten.

And no some anime company in 2040 isn’t going to redub some anime from the 80s and 90s

The “too late” argument is more of a cop out if anything, you have nothing to compare the current dub to, to suggest a faithful one targeting a new generation of fans will fail doesn’t hold up because one hasn’t existed to compare with.

Sorry, just heard this so many times it gets old.
It’s not a cop out, it’s just a matter of fact that you don’t want to hear.

It’s not even a matter of “a new generation could like a redub” it’s a matter of why. Dubbing is not cheap. Even if we ignore the specials and movies and only redub the original Dragon Ball and Z that’s 444 episodes. Why would any company pay for that when the existing dub no matter how bad it is still sells well?
To be fair that was only because of advertisers at the time, CN no doubt wanted a more faithful dub, but as gay marriage hadn't yet been legalized in a single state advertisers weren't ready for that sort of thing on a network mostly watched by kids and they knew they would get all kinds of complaints from parents if they did show that sort of thing. If DBZ had gay characters in it you can bet they would've been changed on CN as well.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:13 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:06 pm

I've watched some of the DiC Seiya dub, and it definitely didn't seem quite as heavily edited as their dub of Sailor Moon/R was.
Yeah I was surprised by how much fighting they actually kept in, especially in the tournament arc at the very start.

So you've watched some of it eh? Did you get the DVDs or are you watching the episodes that I uploaded onto the Internet Archive? I've managed to upload every volume of the dub except volume 8 as that one is insanely rare as it got released right when ADV were on the verge of bankruptcy so it had a low production run as a result.
Definitely, it seems they weren't under quite the same amount of heavy censorship compared to the former. I suppose they were just able to leave more in with the Seiya dub compared to Sailor Moon.

I've been watching the Archive copies, don't know if the first seven volumes are still available for decent prices but i'm thinking of getting them at some point. Vol. 8 as you mention must be near impossible to find so i guess it just got so many fewer copies manufactured than the rest as a result.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:20 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:13 pm

Definitely, it seems they weren't under quite the same amount of heavy censorship compared to the former. I suppose they were just able to leave more in with the Seiya dub compared to Sailor Moon.

I've been watching the Archive copies, don't know if the first seven volumes are still available for decent prices but i'm thinking of getting them at some point.
Wow i'm excited that someone on this forum is watching those! :D
As someone who has a saved search on Ebay for Knights of the Zodiac(in my vain hope of finding volume 8 for sale)I can tell you the prices vary from volume to volume, 1 and 2 are usually fairly cheap, 4 and 5 a bit more costly but not too much more then some of the DBZ singles, volume 3's price varies wildly, I initially saw it selling for over 100 dollars but I was extremely lucky to be able to snag it for only 20 bucks from Amazon and it's gone up and down since. 6 was rather costly(around 40 bucks) and 7 is pretty rare and always sells for around 80-100 bucks, for that one I had to bite the bullet and pay the high price, but fortunately I was able to sell it for almost as high after the uploading process was done.

If you find volume 8, please do let me know!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:50 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:06 pm To be fair that was only because of advertisers at the time, CN no doubt wanted a more faithful dub, but as gay marriage hadn't yet been legalized in a single state advertisers weren't ready for that sort of thing on a network mostly watched by kids and they knew they would get all kinds of complaints from parents if they did show that sort of thing.
Meh my point was that audiences are more forgiving of the censorship Dragon Ball dealt with (whitewashing eastern concepts, downplaying sexual perversion) than the censorship Sailor Moon dealt with (erasing queer characters) wasn’t intending to place blame on any company behind the first dub of Sailor Moon just trying to explain why uncut Dragon Ball not being as “uncut”
as it claims to be has never hurt it.

If DBZ had gay characters in it you can bet they would've been changed on CN as well.
Technically they did. Or rather Funimation did for them.

General Blue’s overt homosexuality in the original Dragon Ball was downplayed to more gay coded. So instead of Bulma saying “Yikes he’s gay!” we got her calling him a prude. Instead of Kuririn calling him a flaming homo Krillin called him a sissy. When General Blue makes a pass at Obatchaman (who is a child) in the Dr.Slump crossover he instead confuses him for a long lost little brother.

Granted, having two “good guys”’express their homophobia and Toei play into the gay=pedophile stereotypes aren’t things I’m particularly concerned with seeing being preserved so I don’t fault Funimation for changing it.

But at least Sonny Strait’s performance still made it pretty obvious he was gay. (Which is good because Toonami had a one off character in Tenchi Muyo redubbed for having a stereotypical gay lisp even though said character was fighting the titular character to marry a woman)

There’s also the gay leather guy in the end of Z who hits on Trunks. I’m pretty sure he was censored to some degree for the edited version of Z (at least the scene of making a pass at Trunks was removed)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:57 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:20 pm

I've been watching the Archive copies, don't know if the first seven volumes are still available for decent prices but i'm thinking of getting them at some point.
As someone who has a saved search on Ebay for Knights of the Zodiac(in my vain hope of finding volume 8 for sale)I can tell you the prices vary from volume to volume, 1 and 2 are usually fairly cheap, 4 and 5 a bit more costly but not too much more then some of the DBZ singles, volume 3's price varies wildly, I initially saw it selling for over 100 dollars but I was extremely lucky to be able to snag it for only 20 bucks from Amazon and it's gone up and down since. 6 was rather costly(around 40 bucks) and 7 is pretty rare and always sells for around 80-100 bucks, for that one I had to bite the bullet and pay the high price, but fortunately I was able to sell it for almost as high after the uploading process was done.

Indeed, i decided to check it out after hearing about it from your mentions around here and i actually saw some of the Seiya/Zodiac dub as a kid when it was airing on CN albeit not a lot.

Good to know, i had a similar experience when hunting down the FUNi Dragon Boxes. Most of them i got from eBay at a good deal in the $50 to $80 range and the highest out of them was $250 for Box 4. If I'm able to find a remotely decent price for that one volume i'll keep you posted.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:45 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:57 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:20 pm

Indeed, i decided to check it out after hearing about it from your mentions around here and i actually saw some of the Seiya/Zodiac dub as a kid when it was airing on CN albeit not a lot.

Good to know, i had a similar experience when hunting down the FUNi Dragon Boxes. Most of them i got from eBay at a good deal in the $50 to $80 range and the highest out of them was $250 for Box 4. If I'm able to find a remotely decent price for that one volume i'll keep you posted.
Cool thanks! Here's what Volume 8 looks like:https://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/Knights-of- ... VD/141824/

That dub also aired in Australia so you'll occasionally see DVDs released over there go on sale as well, but the contents of those DVDs are different as they only have three episodes each as opposed to the four that the US DVDs have. So if you see this volume 8 for sale, it's not the one you're searching for:https://www.ebay.com/p/118586408

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:59 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:45 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:20 pm Wow i'm excited that someone on this forum is watching those! :D

Cool thanks! Here's what Volume 8 looks like:https://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/Knights-of- ... VD/141824/

That dub also aired in Australia so you'll occasionally see DVDs released over there go on sale as well, but the contents of those DVDs are different as they only have three episodes each as opposed to the four that the US DVDs have. So if you see this volume 8 for sale, it's not the one you're searching for:https://www.ebay.com/p/118586408
Ok, i'll know when i see it though trying to find one that isn't ridiculously overpriced is not going to be easy at all, and especially given that said volume apparently had a very low print run back then. I had more luck grabbing Dragon Boxes 2 and 4 given those are the harder to come by volumes out of the set.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:48 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:59 pm

Ok, i'll know when i see it though trying to find one that isn't ridiculously overpriced is not going to be easy at all, and especially given that said volume apparently had a very low print run back then. I had more luck grabbing Dragon Boxes 2 and 4 given those are the harder to come by volumes out of the set.
Well well it looks i've got a potential lead as I just visited the lost media wiki page for that dub for the first time in a while and I noticed someone else made a post on there late last year saying they had all 8 volumes of the dub. So I made a reply on there in the hopes that they get it and upload the remaining episodes.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:51 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:48 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:59 pm

Well well it looks i've got a potential lead as I just visited the lost media wiki page for that dub for the first time in a while and I noticed someone else made a post on there late last year saying they had all 8 volumes of the dub. So I made a reply on there in the hopes that they get it and upload the remaining episodes.
Well fingers crossed, like you i have looked before and didn't find any copies. It surely must be that hard to come by if that's the case.