Would a “true” faithful dub ever be possible?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Would a “true” faithful dub ever be possible?

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:42 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:20 pm The demand for faithful dubs for the pre-Kai series' just isn't there especially with Z since Kai pretty much fills that niche.
To be honest, I think if a redub was announced, it could be pretty popular with the right strategy. The novelty of 508 redubbed episodes with a more accurate script would be a draw in and of itself, even if many fans would complain about it seeming to replace a version they were already attached to.

If it was done well, I think it might stick past the novelty, but probably only if it was on a streaming platform that's popular among mainstream audiences (Netflix or Disney+, basically) so average people can easily binge it. It could give Dragon Ball an ATLA-type resurgeance among the mainstream in the west, specifically among grown-up fans who would appreciate a well-written presentation of Dragon Ball with none of the stupid jokes from 1999 and with the characters depicted with their full depth.
There's a reason Dragon Ball has a significant adult fanbase, and it's not just nostalgia; there is legitimately a lot to love about Dragon Ball as an adult, and I think a redub that leveraged this rather than try to bury it (because seriously, the old dub did everything in its power to remove all nuance, depth, and charm from the original show) could make an impact on a mainstream audience if Funimation decided to try that.

If a redub was done exclusively on home video, or Funimation's streaming platform, or Crunchyroll, it would crash and burn. Anime fans as a whole don't care about Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball fans who are on those platforms will have (for the most part) already formed a strong opinion on which version they prefer, probably one of Funi's old versions, and be opposed to a new version replacing it. I think it would still achieve an audience of some sort, but no where near big enough an audience to justify the costs associated with producing a new dub of 508 episodes (or even the first 153, to be honest).

But of course, if Funimation was interested in reaching a mainstream audience, they would just put their existing dub (of Z only, or maybe Kai/TFC and Super) on Netflix or something, and it would do well enough.

There is zero interest in doing a new dub from anyone who would have the authority to do a new dub, so it is not going to happen. Maybe in a couple of decades or something, but even then I would doubt it.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:50 am

A streaming service like Netflix would be a great way to gauge interest in a redub, even if they only did one "season" (because let's face it they would use the home release seasons, rather than the broadcast ones) and a lot less risky than doing it for a Blu-Ray set only.

Funimation wouldn't do it though. They've shown time and time again through their revisionist attitude that the remastered dub is THE dub of the series, and it continues to sell and less and less fans remember the broadcast dub as time goes on, the less reason they see to change what the majority demand.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:28 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:50 am A streaming service like Netflix would be a great way to gauge interest in a redub, even if they only did one "season" (because let's face it they would use the home release seasons, rather than the broadcast ones) and a lot less risky than doing it for a Blu-Ray set only.

Funimation wouldn't do it though. They've shown time and time again through their revisionist attitude that the remastered dub is THE dub of the series, and it continues to sell and less and less fans remember the broadcast dub as time goes on, the less reason they see to change what the majority demand.
That's the thing about it, they're burying the real dub that fans watched on CN/Toonami in the late '90s/early 2000's in favor of their partially redubbed version which isn't very good itself either and have all but swept the original dub of the Saiyan and Namek arcs under the rug and the only time it's been really acknowledged since the old Pioneer releases of them went out of print back in 2003 is the Rock the Dragon set. Even then, they still tried to distance themselves from their involvement with it by calling the dub the Ocean dub despite being theirs as much as the in house dub is.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:21 pm

dragonmagico wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:40 pm I think keeping the same VA *could* be done in dragon ball, but probably would have to start having younger goku voiced by a man not a woman. Most western women just dont have the range that nozawa does. Maybe someone like peter kalamis could have done it, but that ship has sailed. Heck dragon ball is already on its 2nd or 3rd(depending on how you want to count it) redub with the funimation dub. And I cant see anymore happening. Especially since like others have said, most the big name redubs only happened because there wasnt a complete uncut dub by a single studio for those anime. Or the japanese owners of the IP wanted a redub, i cant see toei wanting to move away from funi with how much theyve invested on making the funimation names the official english names.
The ship has sailed for Peter Kelamis? What are you talking about? He channeled Nozawa the best in my opinion, and the people who watched the Ocean Dub of the DBZ movies would agree with you. I understand that dub fans might not like - scratch that, hate - Nozawa as Goku, but you have to admit that Kelamis was one of the best English Gokus. My list of best Gokus throughout all languages, from a gift from God (best) to dogshit (worst) are -

1. Masako Nozawa (🇯🇵)
1.5. Peter Kelamis (🇺🇸🇬🇧)
2. Modern Sean Schemmel (🇺🇸)
3. MasakoX (🇺🇸🇬🇧)
4. Mario Castañeda (🇲🇽)
5. Lex Lang (🇲🇾🇸🇬🇳🇵🇵🇭🇮🇳 etc)
6. Ahmad Khafe (🇲🇾)
7. Barbara Goodson (🇺🇸)
8. Saffron Henderson (🇺🇸🇬🇧)
9. Henrique Feist (🇵🇹)
10: Ra'fat Bazo (🇧🇭🇪🇭🇪🇬🇯🇴🇰🇼🇲🇦🇱🇧🇸🇩🇵🇸🇶🇦🇸🇾🇾🇪)

If anyone should voice Goku in a hypothetical redub, it should be Kelamis or Schemmel.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:06 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:42 am There is zero interest in doing a new dub from anyone who would have the authority to do a new dub, so it is not going to happen. Maybe in a couple of decades or something, but even then I would doubt it.
I also think there’d be major pushback by a couple VA’s known for gatekeeping.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:26 am

Aim wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:06 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:42 am There is zero interest in doing a new dub from anyone who would have the authority to do a new dub, so it is not going to happen. Maybe in a couple of decades or something, but even then I would doubt it.
I also think there’d be major pushback by a couple VA’s known for gatekeeping.
I doubt it.

If Funimation wanted to do a new dub, they would presumably use their current cast, and all involved would have 508 episodes of well-paying work on a franchise they generally like to work on.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:11 am

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:26 am
Aim wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:06 pm
I also think there’d be major pushback by a couple of VA’s known for gatekeeping.
I doubt it.

If Funimation wanted to do a new dub, they would presumably use their current cast, and all involved would have 508 episodes of well-paying work on a franchise they generally like to work on.
Bold of you to assume that the boys at the Fun House (Funimation) should be the ones to go through with a redub. They're so obsessed with their dub, that they'd refuse to let anyone else do an English dub in order to solidify theirs as the only one in existence.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:05 am

Better yet, why not let someone that's NOT a big, multi-million dollar dubbing company with VA's that have over 20 years of experience dub it over? What's wrong with downloading all episodes of DB and Z (without subs), all 13 Z movies, both TV specials, all 4 DB movies, going on Casting Call Club, and getting voice actors to dub everything over? I see no problem with that. Why? Because in my opinion, Dragon Ball could use new blood (as in new people working on it). For example, the Japanese cast. They're incredible, but they aren't gonna stay around forever. Hell, Nozawa and Yanami are already in their 80s, about to go into their 90s. That is VERY CLOSE to death's door. There are two people who could replace Nozawa and Horikawa in my opinion - Michihiko Hagi for Masako Nozawa, and Takashi Ōhara for Ryō Horikawa. These two people are voices number 7 and 3 for the Mii Fighters in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and, in my opinion, channel the voices of these two incredibly and sound very similar to the original.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:07 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:05 am Better yet, why not let someone that's NOT a big, multi-million dollar dubbing company with VA's that have over 20 years of experience dub it over? What's wrong with downloading all episodes of DB and Z (without subs), all 13 Z movies, both TV specials, all 4 DB movies, going on Casting Call Club, and getting voice actors to dub everything over?l
It’s not legal for one.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:11 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:07 am
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:05 am Better yet, why not let someone that's NOT a big, multi-million dollar dubbing company with VA's that have over 20 years of experience dub it over? What's wrong with downloading all episodes of DB and Z (without subs), all 13 Z movies, both TV specials, all 4 DB movies, going on Casting Call Club, and getting voice actors to dub everything over?
It’s not legal for one.
It'd basically be a fandub. How is that illegal? And plus, if we're on the topic of using footage from Toei, what about Z anime fandubs that aren't labeled as a nonprofit fan-based parody, unlike DragonBall Z Abridged?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:20 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:11 am
It'd basically be a fandub. How is that illegal?
Fandubs aren’t protected by fair use. And do you honestly think anyone would go through the time and money to dub all of that for no-profit? Even if some fans did go through all that trouble and didn’t expect to make any money off of it Toei could and would shut it down

You do understand there’s a reason companies have to pay to license a property right?

And plus, if we're on the topic of using footage from Toei, what about Z anime fandubs that aren't labeled as a nonprofit fan-based parody, unlike DragonBall Z Abridged?
They are not legal either.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:28 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:20 am
Fandubs aren’t protected by fair use. And do you honestly think anyone would go through the time and money to dub all of that for no-profit? Even if some fans did go through all that trouble and didn’t expect to make any money off of it Toei could and would shut it down

You do understand there’s a reason companies have to pay to license a property right?

And plus, if we're on the topic of using footage from Toei, what about Z anime fandubs that aren't labeled as a nonprofit fan-based parody, unlike DragonBall Z Abridged?
Well, assuming someone would go through the trouble of doing this, they gotta make money SOMEHOW! You can't just dub an entire series and movies and TV specials and expect your actors to walk off without making a single cent.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:30 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:28 am

Well, assuming someone would go through the trouble of doing this, they gotta make money SOMEHOW! You can't just dub an entire series and movies and TV specials and expect your actors to walk off without making a single cent.
Correct. And as soon as they tried making their own dub and profit off of it without licensing the show from Toei they would get ordered a ceased and desist pronto.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:37 am

Speaking of...what if...we're going in the wrong direction about this? What if rather than a new English dub (Seriously, that'd be four - no, five - different English dubs of the same franchise. Six if you count the incomplete Final Bout dub), there'd be a new Japanese dub? I'm not going to talk shit about the original Japanese voice actors, they're fantastic and I love those guys, but as I said two comments ago, many of them are reaching death's door. The majority of them are between their 60s to 80s, and while, yes, Japanese people do live long lives, they only have so much time left. So, why not hire new voice actors? Hagi and Ōhara are two great choices to replace Nozawa and Horikawa. If you've seen Mii Fighters in Smash Bros. Ultimate, there's a bunch of player-made Miis of Goku and Vegeta with the voices done by - you guessed it - Michihiko Hagi and Takashi Ōhara.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:40 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:30 am

Correct. And as soon as they tried making their own dub and profit off of it without licensing the show from Toei they would get ordered a ceased and desist pronto.
But what if they said, "Fuck off, Toei, you're just like Nintendo - you shut down any and all fanmade stuff related to your biggest franchises" to that cease and desist? Come on dude, you know I'm right about Toei doing this to fanmade projects.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:49 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:40 am

But what if they said, "Fuck off, Toei, you're just like Nintendo - you shut down any and all fanmade stuff related to your biggest franchises" to that cease and desist? Come on dude, you know I'm right about Toei doing this to fanmade projects.
Surprisingly, “Fuck off Toei” won’t hold up in court. :/

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:49 am

then they'd get legal notices, and if they keep it up ultimately their butts would be in court. Getting own'd

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:51 am

dragonmagico wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:49 am

then they'd get legal notices, and if they keep it up ultimately their butts would be in court. Getting own'd
I think you mean pwned.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:01 am

Well if they told Toei to fuck off than they'd better start some legal funds.

You seem to be skipping clean past the "Illegal" and "copyright" stuff.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:12 pm

What if you robbed a bank and just said "Fuck off" to the police when they came for you?
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!