Would a “true” faithful dub ever be possible?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aim
Banned

Re: Would a “true” faithful dub ever be possible?

Post by Aim » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:14 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:49 am
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:40 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:30 am

Correct. And as soon as they tried making their own dub and profit off of it without licensing the show from Toei they would get ordered a ceased and desist pronto.
But what if they said, "Fuck off, Toei, you're just like Nintendo - you shut down any and all fanmade stuff related to your biggest franchises" to that cease and desist? Come on dude, you know I'm right about Toei doing this to fanmade projects.
Surprisingly, “Fuck off Toei” won’t hold up in court. :/
Lmao it worked in Mexico, turns out when the government is on your side Toei can’t touch you 😎

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:19 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:05 am Better yet, why not let someone that's NOT a big, multi-million dollar dubbing company with VA's that have over 20 years of experience dub it over? What's wrong with downloading all episodes of DB and Z (without subs), all 13 Z movies, both TV specials, all 4 DB movies, going on Casting Call Club, and getting voice actors to dub everything over? I see no problem with that. Why? Because in my opinion, Dragon Ball could use new blood (as in new people working on it). For example, the Japanese cast. They're incredible, but they aren't gonna stay around forever. Hell, Nozawa and Yanami are already in their 80s, about to go into their 90s. That is VERY CLOSE to death's door. There are two people who could replace Nozawa and Horikawa in my opinion - Michihiko Hagi for Masako Nozawa, and Takashi Ōhara for Ryō Horikawa. These two people are voices number 7 and 3 for the Mii Fighters in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and, in my opinion, channel the voices of these two incredibly and sound very similar to the original.
Unless we live in a society where there’s no more for-profit businesses, then it will have to be by someone who is very passionate and has the money, or by another multi million company willing to tell Funimation to fuck off.

This is what we get, this is all the variety we get under capitalism, a shitty dub, dumb fans trying everything in their ability to justify its existence, and soon a monopoly on dubbing anime.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:01 am

Aim wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:14 am
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:40 am

But what if they said, "Fuck off, Toei, you're just like Nintendo - you shut down any and all fanmade stuff related to your biggest franchises" to that cease and desist? Come on dude, you know I'm right about Toei doing this to fanmade projects.
Lmao it worked in Mexico, turns out when the government is on your side Toei can’t touch you 😎
First of all, do NOT imply our dub is good because we "Told Toei to Fuck Off" and made some glorified fandub. No. It is good because they hired the best actors you should find in Mexico, which is the Mecca of dubbing in Latin America. It was an official dub sanctioned by Toei and made by their Cloverway branch.

Also, guy who keeps insisting Toei Fuck Off, you could have just said "Its hypothetical" or whatever. Because what you suggest will never happen. In fact, if you want a more faithful dubs ITS FUNIMATION who should fuck off. Also Toei can make as many dubs as they want as the master licensee and Funimation can do lickety split about it.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:29 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:01 am

First of all, do NOT imply our dub is good because we "Told Toei to Fuck Off" and made some glorified fandub. No. It is good because they hired the best actors you should find in Mexico, which is the Mecca of dubbing in Latin America. It was an official dub sanctioned by Toei and made by their Cloverway branch.

Also, guy who keeps insisting Toei Fuck Off, you could have just said "Its hypothetical" or whatever. Because what you suggest will never happen. In fact, if you want a more faithful dubs ITS FUNIMATION who should fuck off. Also Toei can make as many dubs as they want as the master licensee and Funimation can do lickety split about it.
Oh no there’s a misunderstanding, I wasn’t referring to your countries dub, I was referring to the big screenings of DB Super during the ToP arc.

I agree with you, Funimation is a fucking cancer in the anime community. We need a company that at least tries to get things right, now that’s not to say everyone needs to sound exactly like the original, however it’s preferable to at least try capture the sound and spirit like with Nozawa.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:56 am

Aim wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:29 am

Oh no there’s a misunderstanding, I wasn’t referring to your countries dub, I was referring to the big screenings of DB Super during the ToP arc.

I agree with you, Funimation is a fucking cancer in the anime community. We need a company that at least tries to get things right, now that’s not to say everyone needs to sound exactly like the original, however it’s preferable to at least try capture the sound and spirit like with Nozawa.
In English, Kelamis channeled Nozawa the best. In Japanese, Michihiko Hagi channels her the best. Here's an example of his work - https://youtu.be/C03PEHSO1BQ?t=183
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:29 pm

Like many others who have posted, I think it's possible, but not likely. Too much time has passed, and the demand for a new dub isn't that high tbh.

That being said, if we were ever in a huge Dragon Ball drought, I could see Funimation doung yet another redub of the show, but it would have to be due to a huge drought in Dragin Ball content....which isn't likely.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:36 pm

gokaiblue wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:29 pm Like many others who have posted, I think it's possible, but not likely. Too much time has passed, and the demand for a new dub isn't that high tbh.

That being said, if we were ever in a huge Dragon Ball drought, I could see Funimation doung yet another redub of the show, but it would have to be due to a huge drought in Dragin Ball content....which isn't likely.
Even then, we've never really had all that much of a significant gap sans new DB content as even with there not being a series currently on the air there's still home releases, video games and other merch everywhere.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:22 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:56 am
Aim wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:29 am

In English, Kelamis channeled Nozawa the best. In Japanese, Michihiko Hagi channels her the best. Here's an example of his work - https://youtu.be/C03PEHSO1BQ?t=183
Can I ask you something?

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:52 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:36 pm
gokaiblue wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:29 pm Like many others who have posted, I think it's possible, but not likely. Too much time has passed, and the demand for a new dub isn't that high tbh.

Even then, we've never really had all that much of a significant gap sans new DB content as even with there not being a series currently on the air there's still home releases, video games and other merch everywhere.
Yep, theres been games coming out fairly regularly since the 80s, and since the 00s those games have had voices/dubs(funi dubs peaked in the game era, yes even better than kai, dont @ me bros). Since 09 there has been a nearly constant anime stream of db content, counting the movies. Heck super heros is still going strong so even right now we aren't washout db anime.

granted the demand for new Z isnt what it once was, and probably never will be again. I'll be surprised if theres a new dub of it anywhere on earth again honestly.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:56 am

Sadly I don't see it happening.

A big streaming company like Netflix might have a chance if they could somehow wrangle the rights to stream the original series from either Toei or Funi and create their own dub rather than licensing the pre-existing one from Funimation but that's highly unlikely given the series mammoth episode counts. It would probably not be worth the investment to dub 200+ episodes compared to the relatively short series they've dubbed already (like Evangelion or BAKI). And that's assuming the dub isn't aborted halfway and survives the inevitable complaints about the voices from the Funi die-hards.

A hypothetical Netflix dub would also probably never see a home release due to Funimation's strangehold on the English DVD & Blu-ray market. That's something Funi simply would never give up and now that Sony are financially backing them and they own MangaUK (who own the UK license) there's even less a chance of alternative dubs winding up on a home release in any English speaking territories.

That's not to say a Netflix dub would be perfect and ideal. If Amanda Winn Lee is to be believed, the Evangelion redub reused translated scripts straight from Japan but unlike the prior ADV dub, did not make necessary changes for localization, leading to awkward and overly literal English translations being left in the performance such as when an individual character is referred to as 1st/3rd children rather than 1st/3rd child ("child" making more sense in English as "children" is plural, not singular). So while a Netflix dub could be more faithful and better cast than Funi's (which wouldn't be that hard to do honestly), it would also probably be lazier in its approach and would likely stick to the scripts given to them by Toei, which for all we know could be a horribly translated mess from the 90s (if Funi employees are to be believed). I suspect the Bang Zoom dub of Super might've had this issue as their dialogue often sounded stilted and overly literal at times, probably because that's just what they were given by Toei and for some reason, they didn't bother challenging it.

This is where I think a company like Ocean was a happy medium for scripting as they demonstrated an ability to translate and script accurately while also adding appropriate localizations to make dialogue sound more natural. They also didn't go overboard with adding humour and characterizations that weren't originally intended like Funimation were prone to doing. The only time that was present was when Funimation heavily influenced the scripts they were using.

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:28 am

Were the only re-dubs netflix did of shows that didnt have a complete existing dub?

agreed with ocean being a good medium though, i think pioneer handled the scripts for those 3 movies with the ocean cast, and funimation bascially being the middle man between them and toei. shame they didnt do everything.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:50 am

dragonmagico wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:28 am Were the only re-dubs netflix did of shows that didnt have a complete existing dub?
Neon Genesis Evangelion.

agreed with ocean being a good medium though, i think pioneer handled the scripts for those 3 movies with the ocean cast, and funimation bascially being the middle man between them and toei. shame they didnt do everything.
It’s a shame because the movies should have been proof that a faithful route would still sell. Instead all we got out of it was Funimation deciding to finally go visually uncut while doubling down on their worst creative decisions. There’s no real reason we couldn’t have gotten that for season 3 onwards. Any doubt that it wouldn’t worked should have been erased.

Hell, the biggest difference between Pioneer and Funimation’s dubs was Barry Watson wasn’t involved and Gen Fukunaga only acted as “a supervisor” and I suppose Pioneer has their own translator as well but as we saw it wasn’t hard for Funimation to find a good translator.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:12 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:50 am
dragonmagico wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:28 am Were the only re-dubs netflix did of shows that didnt have a complete existing dub?
Neon Genesis Evangelion.

It’s a shame because the movies should have been proof that a faithful route would still sell. Instead all we got out of it was Funimation deciding to finally go visually uncut while doubling down on their worst creative decisions. There’s no real reason we couldn’t have gotten that for season 3 onwards. Any doubt that it wouldn’t worked should have been erased.

Hell, the biggest difference between Pioneer and Funimation’s dubs was Barry Watson wasn’t involved and Gen Fukunaga only acted as “a supervisor” and I suppose Pioneer has their own translator as well but as we saw it wasn’t hard for Funimation to find a good translator.
Yes, the dubs of DBZ movies 1-3 by Pioneer was a good example of how accurate dubs can be done. It just blows my mind that this happened and then after the transition to in house in 1998 that FUNi completely dropped the ball in every way imaginable, because the god awful dub of Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle was a pretty clear indicator of what was to come the next year. The disappointing thing is that it didn't have to come out like this, there was already a reference on how to produce dubs that stays true to the original but that was cast aside in favor of a deluge of horrendous groan worthy jokes, bad scripts and and unfitting replacement musical score on top of amateur impression acting.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:17 am

Barry Watson is in my mind the main reason dub db is in the state it is. All the VAs its had under funi have proven they do/did have some talent(even if it took some of the newbies a bit to learn), but when you are given a trash script to work with well no amount of talent can fix that.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:29 am

Of the ones that I'm aware of, that hasn't been the case. The original Evangelion series and movies were fully dubbed years prior by ADV. Netflix either didn't want to use the previous dub or were unable to due to rights issues (ADV now being dead), or Gainax simply wanted it redubbed as part of the new licensing agreement.

BAKI, to my understanding, recently had a separate dub announced after the Netflix dub was already made. This appears to be for home release, presumably because Sentai either didn't want to pay to license the Netflix dub or Netflix didn't want their dub on physical media.
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:50 am Hell, the biggest difference between Pioneer and Funimation’s dubs was Barry Watson wasn’t involved and Gen Fukunaga only acted as “a supervisor” and I suppose Pioneer has their own translator as well but as we saw it wasn’t hard for Funimation to find a good translator.
Yeah, along with the removal of Barry, Gen Fukunaga was no longer executive producer like on the series and was instead only supervising. Pioneer's Hideki Goto and Hiroe Tsukamoto served as Executive Producer and Producer for those movies which I think made all the difference as the rest of the crew were still Ocean's as far as I can tell. I wouldn't be surprised if Ocean did the translations in-house as they were used to dubbing anime.

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:35 am

I thought there was newer evangelion stuff that didnt get dubbed by AVD before netflix took over, and they wanted everything to have the same dub cast. Ether way netflix's dub is better But if not then sorry for pushing misinformation.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:45 am

dragonmagico wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:35 am I thought there was newer evangelion stuff that didnt get dubbed by AVD before netflix took over, and they wanted everything to have the same dub cast. Ether way netflix's dub is better But if not then sorry for pushing misinformation.
I’ve never seen either but I always heard the exact opposite. ADV’s dub was good and Netflix’s ...was
not and a little controversial for some of its translation choices.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:46 am

dragonmagico wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:35 am I thought there was newer evangelion stuff that didnt get dubbed by AVD before netflix took over, and they wanted everything to have the same dub cast. Ether way netflix's dub is better But if not then sorry for pushing misinformation.
You're thinking of the Funimation dubs of the Evangelion Rebuild movies, which were licensed separately and retained some cast members from the ADV dubs.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:51 am

NitroEX wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:29 am BAKI, to my understanding, recently had a separate dub announced after the Netflix dub was already made. This appears to be for home release, presumably because Sentai either didn't want to pay to license the Netflix dub or Netflix didn't want their dub on physical media.
I can confirm it's the former. The dubbing community was bewildered as to why so many Netflix shows are getting re-dubbed (mostly in Houston, by Sentai), and had some concerns about that because all dubs of Netflix shows are union, which the re-dubs definitely aren't. After some research and asking around, we learned that Netflix simply won't let go of their dubs for anything less than what they paid to get the license to the show in the first place. The result, amazingly enough, is that with that asking price, it actually becomes cheaper to re-dub the whole show from the ground up rather than license the Netflix dub.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:34 pm

i frickin hate neon "genesis" evangelion, hideaki anno should just stick to comedy, but the Netflix dub and subs do it so dirty lol. anime on Netflix as a whole seems like a bit of a mess, i would kinda hope dragon ball doesn't get put on there.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸