30 Years of Super Saiyan

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

30 Years of Super Saiyan

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:02 am

Super Saiyan made its debut in April 1991, in the manga chapter "Life or Death". From 1991 onwards, Super Saiyan became a global phenomenon, sprouting even more transformations along the way, from Super Saiyan Grade 2 (1992), Super Saiyan Grade 3 (also 1992), Super Saiyan Grade 4 (also 1992 as well), Legendary Super Saiyan (1993), Super Saiyan 2 (1993), Super Saiyan 3 (1994), Super Saiyan 4 (1997), Super Saiyan God (2013), Super Saiyan Blue (2015), Super Saiyan Rose (2017), Super Saiyan Blue Evolution (2018), Limit Breaker SSJ4 (2021), and everything in between. So, to fittingly celebrate, let's share our memories with the Super Saiyan line of transformations! (Ultra Instinct, Super Saiyan 4 Kaioken, Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken, and Potential Unleased don't count because they are techniques and forms stacked on top of techniques. Also, the demon version of Super Saiyan, False Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan Type-A and B and Kale and Kefla's Super Saiyan form does not count either, as the demon version of Super Saiyan only has aspects of the original. Type A and B aren't really different forms, they're just different levels of suppression of a Legendary Super Saiyan's power. Kefla's Super Saiyan forms are a combo of Legendary SSJ and regular SSJ. Kale's form, Super Saiyan C-Type, is just a copypasta of Legendary SSJ.)

What Super Saiyan form is your favorite and why? If you were Toriyama, what new form would you create and who would you give it to?
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: 30 Years of Super Saiyan

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:22 am

My list

PSSB - I like this auraless form. The concept behind perfecting the form works great for me. Great fights.
SS4 - Feral, legendary, raw, breaks the SS pattern, implied to be THE legendary super saiyan. Several fights although many are boring fights.
SS2- SS but scarier, spikier. Hair looks better. Lacks fights, was overpowered pretty soon.
SSBE - manga only. The anime's is too bright. I like the aura is back and that it's a normal aura, not SSB's. Appealing fights.
SSG - the leaner built and the normal hairstyle. Lacks fights.
SS dai ni dankai - Super Vegeta and Super Trunks looked great, I wish we had a glimpse of Super Goku too. Two awesome fights.
SS - kinda bored of it by now, really. Has great fights.
SSB - the anime made it SS turquoise and was overused. Great fights.
SS3 - scary but useless. Too many drawbacks.
LSS - boring, too big, deformed even, but better than Trunks' version, this one at least can fight.
SS dai san dankai - boring, too bloated, slow, unpleaseant to look at. One fight.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:21 pm

I prefer the bigger hair of early 90s Super Saiyan's design

And I'm always partial to False Super Saiyan
One reason being that its brief appearance and bizarre appearance makes it feel much more like a "super-Saiyan" rather than Super Saiyan, on top of also being an inadvertent "Super Saiyan Omen" if such a thing were on the brains of the crew at the time.

Overall favorite has to be Super Saiyan 2, mainly because it's "supposed" to be the perfected evolution of Super Saiyan, the point when all inefficiencies of the base transformation & its offshoots are resolved and one's Saiyajin warlust takes precedence over the rest of their personality without being as completely demonically-uncontrollable as Broly's legendary form.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

SorikaiWolf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SorikaiWolf89 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:51 am

My favorite SS forms would be :

1. Super Saiyan 4

Love the badass feral look with the red fur and wild mid length hair , love the golden eyes on Goku, looks powerful, intimidating and legendary, very original/unique design, looks best on Goku though as it looks kinda weird on Vegeta imo

2. Super Saiyan 2

Love the “electrified” look to it as the hair is even spikier and standing straight up
The added electricity sparks really adds to the power emanating from it as if you feel like you’d literally be electrocuted if you even go near them or touch them
They’re almost like a living controlled lightning bolt which makes it even more badass than Super Saiyan 1

3. Super Saiyan 1

The legendary form that started it all
The Blue-green eyes , light blonde antigravity hair , and bright glowing golden aura just emanate angelic like radiance that’s beautiful to behold and of course very badass in confident action

4. False Super Saiyan

An underrated form imo which is very rarely used or seen as it’s mostly used to either intimidate an opponent
(Future Trunks vs Frieza)
or to introduce Super Saiyan to an opponent who is unaware of it
(Goku vs Dr Gero and Android 19
Gohan vs Kibito)

I really like when Super Saiyan is gradually transformed into instead of just being instantaneous but I understand why for obvious reasons

Anyway False Super Saiyan looks especially cool on Future Trunks with his pupiless sky blue eyes and mid way transformed hair which he made slowly glow a bright golden yellow

5. Ultra Instinct
(Switch with Number 3)

From what I’ve seen of it so far it’s absolutely gorgeous and extremely badass I think I might even make it the new number 1 with SS4 being 2nd place
(haven’t watched it’s debut episode yet but know enough about it to absolutely love it)

6. Super Saiyan Blue

All the badassery of SS but with blue hair and eyes instead
A bit too much blue though and much less creative than previous SS forms

7. Super Saiyan Rose
(Switch with number 6)

Love the beautiful light pink hair ,aura, and abilities especially the aura scythe
Can’t really imagine it on anyone else though besides Goku Black as it would be an unfitting look for Gohan and Vegeta but might look cool on Trunks if he had an aura sword for example

Forms I do NOT like or am indifferent to :

1. Super Saiyan 3

Never liked it’s appearance even as a kid
The big bulging brows with no eyebrows just looks strange and ugly to me which is the biggest turnoff for me appearance wise
There’s TOO much hair but looks kinda badass given how long it is (maybe too long)

Not to mention the form has too many drawbacks and it’s kind of a big butt pull that pretty much comes out of nowhere that is also only used to stall for time
Never was a fan of it and probably never will be
(Although I admit SS3 does have some epic moments)

2. Ultra Ego

Again not a fan of the no eyebrow look but at least the hair isn’t 5 feet long and the hair is purple which looks kinda cool and more unique
Stupid name though “Ultra EGO” Really? 😑

3. Super Saiyan Grade 2 and Grade 3

WAY too bulked up !
So much so it puts pro body builders to shame!
It’s basically just the full powerhouse beast mode of the SS forms that mostly all bark and no bite , all show and intimidation , but is completely useless against a competent faster opponent

It’s also just very slow and extremely predictable which makes it the worst/hardest form to fight with and even harder to win with (well unless you’re Broly 😅)

4. Super Saiyan God

Looks extremely sexy on Vegeta but looks extremely weird on Goku imo
I neither love it nor despise it
It’s…just…meh…
OK at best to me

5. Super Saiyan Rage

Very little is known about the form itself but it certainly LOOKS menacing and intimating
Cool looking pulse like aura is a plus but overall I’m pretty indifferent to it

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:38 pm

SorikaiWolf89 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:51 am nope
please remember that this thread is called 30 Years of Super Saiyan and not 30 Years of Transformations. And I literally said this in the first post:
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:02 am Ultra Instinct, Super Saiyan 4 Kaioken, Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken, and Potential Unleased don't count because they are techniques and forms stacked on top of techniques
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

SorikaiWolf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SorikaiWolf89 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:33 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:38 pm
SorikaiWolf89 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:51 am nope
please remember that this thread is called 30 Years of Super Saiyan and not 30 Years of Transformations. And I literally said this in the first post:
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:02 am Ultra Instinct, Super Saiyan 4 Kaioken, Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken, and Potential Unleased don't count because they are techniques and forms stacked on top of techniques
Even though they literally have”Super Saiyan” in their titles?

I get Ultra Instinct not being Super Saiyan but the others DO count in my book

They are variations of Super Saiyan meaning just different versions of it
How do they not count ?

There’s Super Saiyan 1, 2, and 3 that are the main ones obviously with other forms of them either in between or after 3

Grade 1, 2, and 3 are basically Super Saiyan 1 only beefed up but that still counts as a Super Saiyan form as it’s obviously needed to be a Super Saiyan when in that form

And SS4 counts bc it’s implied to be THE legendary original Super Saiyan form
Last edited by SorikaiWolf89 on Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SorikaiWolf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SorikaiWolf89 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:46 pm

from Super Saiyan Grade 2 (1992), Super Saiyan Grade 3 (also 1992), Super Saiyan Grade 4 (also 1992 as well), Legendary Super Saiyan (1993), Super Saiyan 2 (1993), Super Saiyan 3 (1994), Super Saiyan 4 (1997), Super Saiyan God (2013), Super Saiyan Blue (2015), Super Saiyan Rose (2017), Super Saiyan Blue Evolution (2018), Limit Breaker SSJ4 (2021),

and everything in between.

Also may I remind you that you said this