Dragon Ball and Precure

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Dragon Ball and Precure

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:37 am

Pretty Cure! Dragon Ball for Little Girls. I know that if there is any anime that follows the example DBZ had left behind in its battles its Precure. Since every fight is really short there is almost no filler during them and most can get pretty epic.

I wanted to make this since DBZ director Daisuke Nishio agreed with Producer Takashi Washio in that girls loved action and fights too.

ALSO. I know its pretty evident that the comparison is kinda shallow, BUT it still cannot be denied that the DNA of the anime side of DBZ lives on with Precure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IobK3nc9kD8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCYLcxUw_ic
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball and Precure

Post by Xeogran » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:56 am

And here I thought they announced to finally make that movie real :lol:

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:29 am

Brianne was a Precure homage wasn't she?
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:26 am

I think so, yes. Most people would say she's more Sailor Moon because that's what they are more familiar with...
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:42 am

related to that, since you're probably the best person to ask, what does seem to be the general presence of precure in latin america ? because it really has no presence at all over here despite it being so huge in japan, but shoujo as a whole seems to never really fully crosses over here (even something like sailor moon, people know what it is but it doesn't really have a huge hard-core fanbase and no one ever even talks about the manga), in comparison to the more Action Oriented Shounen series'.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:14 pm

Please dont ask that. Because Precure has had a terrible time here in Latin America. An awfully casted and translated Futari Wa dub and 2 awful Glitter Force dubs. My head aches when I am reminded.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:57 pm

oh sorry i just thought it would be an interesting thing to discuss...
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:50 pm

Without having watched Precure, I always assumed it was more comparable to Super Sentai than Dragon Ball.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:01 pm

I'm so sorry! You just wanted to talk! I'm sorry. I HOPE that good Precure dubs will come worldwide. That would be awesome.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:44 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:50 pm Without having watched Precure, I always assumed it was more comparable to Super Sentai than Dragon Ball.
It's funny to read you because Precure air right before Super Hero Time the timeslot dedicated for Kamen Rider and Super Sentai every Sunday morning.

The Schedule is if I remember Precure air at 8:30am followed by Super Hero Time Kamen Rider at 9:00am then Super Sentai 9:30am making me go sleep around 3am in my Time zone lol :lol:
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:27 pm

Never thought I would've ever considered something like PreCure but I started checking out Smile, it's pretty fun shit, I've gotta be honest. I appreciate that there's actual fisticuffs and action choreography in a magical girl anime for once, as well as an overall appealing art style. It's interesting that it's crossed so many genre boundaries, appealing to shonen and Super Sentai audiences.

...I've opened up Pandora's Box here, haven't I?

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:04 pm

well, Precure did start because the producer thought "Little girls want to fight, too!" and then hired the fight director of DBZ...

Splash Star especially is where it shows better its DBZ
I mean, tell me this is not a DBZ fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q26Yecxb_w

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:25 am

ankokudaishogun wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:04 pm well, Precure did start because the producer thought "Little girls want to fight, too!" and then hired the fight director of DBZ...

Splash Star especially is where it shows better its DBZ
I mean, tell me this is not a DBZ fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q26Yecxb_w
This is a perfect example of what I was talking about here.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147