Son Goku's Birthday: April 16th?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Son Goku's Birthday: April 16th?

Post by DBZ Macky » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:57 am

Earlier this week, everyone started to wish Goku a happy birthday on Social Media, and indeed, searching "what is Goku's birthday?" on Google returns April 16th as the date and even the Wikia page lists the same date while also citing Daizenshuu 7 and the Super Exciting Guide as the source.

I looked into it a bit more and it seems like nothing about Goku's birth date is stated in any official capacity except for him being born in Age 737 (and even that might've been retroactively changed with Minus) so how did this rumor start? Why April 16th of all dates?

After looking into it as much as I could my guess is that like with most misinformation about Dragon Ball on the internet, it could've originated from the western fandom;
Apparently The English adaptation of Dragon Ball GT ran on Cartoon Network between November 7, 2003 and April 16, 2005 so maybe someone just decided that it'd be cool that the day Goku says his final goodbyes to everyone (at the time) would be the same day he was born.

It's a bit of a stretch but I didn't find anything else significant that might've happened on that date. Did anyone else look into this out of sheer curiosity? What do you think?
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Re: Son Goku's Birthday: April 16th?

Post by Alruneia » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:42 am

I looked into it a little bit last year, since I saw it mentioned plenty of times on social media like you mention. I considered myself satisfied when I found Herms' tweet about it, though, so I didn't look into why the misinformation exists.
It's kinda funny to me how poorly some people take it when they learn that it's misinformation, though. It's almost like one of those "Don't fuck with Dragon Ball fans" memes that mock the fandom. You'll hear retorts such as "yeah well since nothing is confirmed I'm just going to keep pretending" and "you're just a party pooper don't prove me wrong aaaaiiieeeeee". Very graceful. Sorry, I'm just venting a little based on what happened when I brought it up on my FB page last year.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link