If DBS anime returns don't expect improvements

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

If DBS anime returns don't expect improvements

Post by super michael » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:31 am

It is clear that Toei has no talented writers at all, just check Digimon Adventure Reboot the writing is really stupid. The writing is so horrible I just can’t believe it. To give an example there was an episode
In today episode even though they were fighting a
This is Toei nowaday, they have no talent at all.
Last edited by super michael on Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: If DBS anime returns don't expect improvements

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:32 am

That's fine, I don't think the anime needs any improvements :think:

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:36 am

Actually with the way Toei has handled Digimon Adventure Reboot, there is a chance they will do a worse job with DBS Anime.
Expect more characters downgrade, more character teasing, more character forbidding, more nagging from characters, etc.

When Digimon Adventure Reboot started it was good, but now it is just plain ridiculous.

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:10 am

Only good thing about DBS Anime is DBS Broly movie.
We the ones

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:21 am

So 2uper will be bad because Digimon has weird power scaling or something?

I'm not really sure if this is really just a Digimon vent thread.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:27 am

Do Digimon and Dragon Ball Super even share writers and directors?

Also a potential Dragon Ball Super season 2 (which I honestly don’t think is going to happen its been 3 years) would presumably be adapting the manga arcs that the first Super anime hadn’t covered yet.

But I’m pretty sure Digimon and Dragon Ball aren’t Toeis only properties.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:31 am

But why would Toei do what they like when they'd be following the manga? saving money in the process too, because there's already a written story to animate without the need to deviate from it.
Also, isn't Digimon a Toei product? as in it doesn't adapt someone else's work while with Dragon Ball they definitely adapt someone else's work?

DBS proved Toei does have a some few good writers, some really suck, but there are some that have given Toyo a run for his money.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:35 am

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:31 amy to animate without the need to deviate from it.
Also, isn't Digimon a Toei product? as in it doesn't adapt someone else's work while with Dragon Ball they definitely adapt someone else's work?
It’s a Bandai product. The anime exist to sell the virtual pets and trading cards.

But you’re right there’s a big difference between an anime adapting a manga and an anime advertising a toyline.

Dragon Ball Heroes is more in line with what Digimon actually is.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:06 am

Writers don't have the final say on things. They're there to make scripts that combine the needs of everyone present at story meetings, including producers and series directors.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:58 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:21 am So 2uper will be bad because Digimon has weird power scaling or something?

I'm not really sure if this is really just a Digimon vent thread.
I don't think it falls under power scaling, imagine if Goku battled Android 19 and Cell and he refused to turn Super Saiyan and he lost without transforming, that would be horrible writing. That is basically what Toei is doing with Digimon. Toei wasn't doing this before with Digimon.

If Toei is doing that with Digimon now, something they didn't do before, then that poor writing is sure to make it to DBS Anime if it continues.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:49 pm

Why would I be expecting improvements?

I expect it to be terrible. The only thing I'm looking forward to is seeing Planet-Moro get animated.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:45 pm

The anime has been on such a ridiculously long hiatus that I’m starting to have doubts that it’s coming back.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:00 pm

The anime will return when there's a place for it in the schedule. There is currently no place for it in the schedule because Toei has other commitments.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:54 pm

The Moro arc got a mixed reception in the manga, I'm not sure if the anime can improve upon it unless they completely change the bulk of it besides maybe the beginning and climax.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:56 am

precita wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:54 pm The Moro arc got a mixed reception in the manga, I'm not sure if the anime can improve upon it unless they completely change the bulk of it besides maybe the beginning and climax.
While anime improved ToP, why Moro Arc lol?

Fans mostly lapped-up the arc, except maybe the ending...or perhaps only it's last 2 chapters...90% of it was loved by..well, dbs purists...given how anime has yuya & some other guys who could animate impactful manga scenes so well...Moro Arc wud benefit a lot from anime.

Btw...why such wishful thought lol...after TOEI mfkers repeated experiments in the form of GT, Kai, BOG, ROF, then Dbs of which in itself was polarizing af..to the point animators themselves came forward to state reason behind such messed up work....u are pretty dang hopeful for even having the sheer thought of dbs returning...😂

Nosferatu93
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nosferatu93 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:08 pm

Super is the Disney Star Wars to Star Wars. Nobody wants it.
Hellsing

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:21 pm

Disney Star Wars was great up until Rise of Skywalker. Super was much more of a mixed bag with most of the good stuff being in the Black arc and slice-of-life episodes.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:25 pm

I only expect it to be the same level of quality as the manga
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:08 am

Toei is one of the biggest anime studios so some questionable writing wouldn't necessarily reflect on the whole company since some writers are better than others. If DBS was rushed the first time around then the writing would probably improve for the sequel with more pre-production time. I don't mean power scaling but general consistency and details between episodes.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:42 am

Writers are all freelancers, they are not tied to studios unless they are directors first and foremost. That said, writers are not the last voice in the room. They are the person asked to fulfill the requirements of the production committee members by organizing those requirements into scripts that are then adapted through to the other areas of the production.

Like, Tomioka Atsuhiro is a consistently fun writer who helped turn in the best scripts of Pokemon and Dragon Ball Super but that doesn't mean he's the one with final say or that even all of his ideas are allowed to stay. Likewise, his voice isn't the only voice for Digimon Adventure (2020), for which he is the series kousei (series construction, basically a story editor role for organizing and coordinating the scripts).
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter