If DBS anime returns don't expect improvements

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: If DBS anime returns don't expect improvements

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:35 am

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:31 am But why would Toei do what they like when they'd be following the manga? saving money in the process too, because there's already a written story to animate without the need to deviate from it.
Also, isn't Digimon a Toei product? as in it doesn't adapt someone else's work while with Dragon Ball they definitely adapt someone else's work?

DBS proved Toei does have a some few good writers, some really suck, but there are some that have given Toyo a run for his money.
The easiest thing to do on the planet.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:55 pm

I don't think the Super anime is ever going to come back. They are likely going to keep it at Manga only at this rate.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:02 pm

Although TOEIs strongest asset might be the animation, Super did have some really descent written episodes.
Maybe they realize this, with enough preparation time movies might be the way they decide to go in the future.
It allows enough time for Toriyama to write a descent storyline and the animation staff to create top notch action scenes.
They set a pretty high bar with Broly and it's probably a lot more difficult to maintain that level with a full time anime than the occasional movie, at least in combo with other projects. The movie Broly may have been superior in animation, but the writing was far from bad either.
When given enough time to prepare, TOEI should be able to do at least a another good movie based on Toriyamas script.

Is the anime coming back? Might be, might be not. The best argument i've heard so far is 'it should come back because it makes them more money'. Why hasn't it come back then, with the revival still "at its peak" and Nozawa still able to voice cast the role? If they really really need it for money, now as we speak are the perfect conditions, there is no real die-hard reason it shoudn't have returned already.
The longer it takes, it may become less likely it will return IMHO.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:14 pm

It's impossible to have movie quality animation on a TV schedule. It shouldn't be the goal as Broly is an awful movie. Good art, though overrated, poor fight scenes, and a boring story that went to the well. DB is capable of far better.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:38 pm

I'm sure eventually the anime will continue, and when it does TOEI will undoubtedly capitalize on the fact there are two full arcs in the form of Moro and Granolah that they can adapt. They may also adapt Broly and throw in some slice-of-life episodes wherever possible.

New movies would probably make a lot of money in a short space of time, but in the long run relying on them over a series for profits wouldn't be the best idea.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:58 am

I do not deny that an anime in principle still provides more promotion than a film for the franchise and that it simply gives way more opportunities for storytelling if done properly. But it also takes more money to make, while there are other shows to produce as well.

I don't claim a certain movie-only future, I just indicate where the shoe could pinch if things don't happen "as foreseen" concerning the anime.
Is it not fair to look for possible explanations if it turns out not to return, despite expectations? How long will those who say now 'it eventually will' keep claiming this: 2 years, 5 years, 10 years ..., without any further evidence?

zekken1

Post by zekken1 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:13 am

ABED wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:14 pm It's impossible to have movie quality animation on a TV schedule. It shouldn't be the goal as Broly is an awful movie. Good art, though overrated, poor fight scenes, and a boring story that went to the well. DB is capable of far better.
Could you give me a better written saga in Super than the Broly movie?
I genuinely believe Dragon Ball is at the top where it is now because it has accurately and appropriately represented martial arts like no other anime & manga out there. Getting stronger through hardship & getting rewarded for hard work. And the show is funny & easily "digestible" people may say the plot is too cookie cutter sometimes & while I would very much like more grey elements and more mature story lines. The story's simplistic nature lends itself to be very easy to pick up.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:58 am

Digimon is Toei in name alone; it's primarily a Gallop production, and the writing staff aren't even remotely relevant in their ties to the company.

This has absolutely no bearing on what a future Dragon Ball production would look like, and the notion that "This is Toei nowadays, they have no talent at all." is so ludicrously misinformed that I don't even know where to begin.

One look at One Piece's Wano arc, Kitaro, Dragon Quest Dai, or World Trigger's second season would show you how insanely boneheaded that is to say. Toei's one of the strongest studios around at the moment when it comes to longrunning productions. This isn't 2015 anymore.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:27 pm

zekken1 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:13 am
ABED wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:14 pm It's impossible to have movie quality animation on a TV schedule. It shouldn't be the goal as Broly is an awful movie. Good art, though overrated, poor fight scenes, and a boring story that went to the well. DB is capable of far better.
Strange comparison. The Broly movie is basically one singular fight that's resolved in less than an hour with some flashbacks beforehand to fill us in. It's more of a 3-part episode than an arc.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:16 pm

I think people are too harsh on Broly's story. Really, I think it's one of the only Super era stories that doesn't falter in any major regard. It's a bit light and safe, sure, but it doesn't completely fuck up like so many other Super arcs tend to and it solidly delivers what it sets out to do. While I think the final fight goes on a little too long (I prefer Vegeta and Goku's hard-hitting opening assaults over Gogeta spamming energy blasts at the speed of light), the first half following the history of the Saiyans is great with competent screenwriting all round. It actually feels like a complete, worthwhile story that anyone can follow rather than a choppy vignette that only nerds would care about like Resurrection F. Even Battle of Gods suffers from that in some regards, we just get chucked straight onto Kaio-sama's planet with Goku with absolutely zero context of who this orange guy is or why he's on this tiny spheroid (I'm talking from a mainstream filmgoer's perspective). Then we spend what feels like ages following the Pilaf Gang's incongruous antics at Capsule Corp that add very little. In Broly, there's comparatively little wasted space. The final battle may drag out a bit but they at least made it a stream of total eye candy.

I wouldn't expect an ongoing anime to have the same quality of animation but Broly set a pretty high standard to live up to on all fronts. A lot of people who dropped off the anime were lulled back in with the movie and I'm sure many have stuck with the manga as a result. I don't follow many other Toei series so I can't really comment on whether or not they'd improve but everyone says they're doing better now so I'll take their word for it.
Last edited by LoganForkHands73 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:36 pm

Broli succeeds at being what it is: a chance for the staff to go insane after the series was extremely stressful. That's what it is and all it really tried to be and I think criticism of the film can miss that a lot of the time.

I do wish we could get that 170 cut of the film, though. I want to see the deleted scenes!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:16 pm

Anything other than the Golden Freeza arc.. The Broly movie is awful. It checks off a bunch of boxes. It's engineered to tick every nostalgic box fans have. It's sympathetic portrayal of Broly feels cliched and unearned.

A longer version of the movie? God no. Why do people want longer versions of movies? In almost every case, the shorter the better.

It sets out to be a nostalgia-fest so I guess it succeeds in that regard but it gives us backstory that in no way illuminates anything. It centers on a conflict that was over and done with decades prior both for the reader and the characters. All of that might be worth it if the fight delivered and it didn't.
we just get chucked straight onto Kaio-sama's planet with Goku with absolutely zero context of who this orange guy is or why he's on this tiny spheroid (I'm talking from a mainstream filmgoer's perspective). Then we spend what feels like ages following the Pilaf Gang's incongruous antics at Capsule Corp that add very little. In Broly, there's comparatively little wasted space. The final battle may drag out a bit but they at least made it a stream of total eye candy.
I disagree with this as it's not competent screenwriting. It fails to do what stories should do - make you care. Why should I care for a history I never asked for? For all BoG's faults, assuming the audience was familiar with the characters is not amongst them. It was wise to do it. The manga already ended the story. This was a reunion with old friends so dropping the audience in assuming we knew what was what. There is a lot of wasted space in Broly. The whole opening isn't necessary.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:08 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:16 pm
Anything other than the Golden Freeza arc.. The Broly movie is awful. It checks off a bunch of boxes. It's engineered to tick every nostalgic box fans have. It's sympathetic portrayal of Broly feels cliched and unearned.

A longer version of the movie? God no. Why do people want longer versions of movies? In almost every case, the shorter the better.

It sets out to be a nostalgia-fest so I guess it succeeds in that regard but it gives us backstory that in no way illuminates anything. It centers on a conflict that was over and done with decades prior both for the reader and the characters. All of that might be worth it if the fight delivered and it didn't.
we just get chucked straight onto Kaio-sama's planet with Goku with absolutely zero context of who this orange guy is or why he's on this tiny spheroid (I'm talking from a mainstream filmgoer's perspective). Then we spend what feels like ages following the Pilaf Gang's incongruous antics at Capsule Corp that add very little. In Broly, there's comparatively little wasted space. The final battle may drag out a bit but they at least made it a stream of total eye candy.
I disagree with this as it's not competent screenwriting. It fails to do what stories should do - make you care. Why should I care for a history I never asked for? For all BoG's faults, assuming the audience was familiar with the characters is not amongst them. It was wise to do it. The manga already ended the story. This was a reunion with old friends so dropping the audience in assuming we knew what was what. There is a lot of wasted space in Broly. The whole opening isn't necessary.
What do you expect from a story to make you care? I'd expect characters with compelling arcs, a decent structure, conflict, etc, I think Broly delivers on all those fronts. The opening is not just a history loredump, it is the story. We get introduced to a lot of characters but they all tie into the central themes of the film, namely fatherhood, so it is all pretty essential stuff. Either way, I'm glad of it because I think the parts following Paragus's struggle to find his son and their relationship deteriorating are highlights of the film. It's actual relatable human drama (ironically with aliens). I would wax on further about what I think is great about it but you've already said you don't care, so...

Even with movies based on anime or any kind of pre-existing story, I believe they should at least try to be somewhat accessible. BOG wasn't the worst in this regard but it could've been better. If anything, it's more of a nostalgic box-ticking exercise than Broly. It's literally about a big reunion party with old characters.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:51 pm

It doesn't deliver on any of those fronts. The opening wasn't the story. Bardock becoming Jor-El wasn't necessary to tell the story of Freeza using a simp as a proxy for his fight against Goku. Fatherhood is a motif, but it's not a theme. How is it about fathers? There are a lot of fathers but with the exception of Paragus, it's not really about them. What does it say about fatherhood? The story is not about fatherhood. It gives us that as texture but none of the actual substance. There is no relatable human drama. It's all cookie cutter drama. Freeza has been reduced to a caricature and a cartoon supervillain.
Even with movies based on anime or any kind of pre-existing story, I believe they should at least try to be somewhat accessible
It's not accessible as DB's not that complicated. I think people underestimate people's ability to get into a story in progress. Almost all of us do it.

Yes, BOG is almost all about nostalgia, and that's the point. That's why the setting is fitting. But 1) Given that DB ended, a reunion film where it's friends hanging out at a reunion is fitting and mostly all I asked for what was originally a one off. 2) It gave us Beerus and Whis which were not just new characters, but added a genuinely new layer to the DB world, and 3) It felt like a fitting conclusion to the story, and arguably better than the manga's ending.

Broly on the otherhand was centered on an overexposed mostly boring character with a cool design. He adds nothing new to the story beyond being another strong body. And here's my biggest beef, it keeps the story centered on the history of the Saiyans. We don't need it. Their beef with Freeza was not a corpse that needed to be exhumed.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:54 pm

I actually like the “Dragon Ball Minus” portion but it could definitely have been removed. It doesn’t even pertain to Broli

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:00 pm

The Broly movie is possibly the most “accesible” Dragon Ball movie for newcomers, which might’ve been partly why it did so well. That doesn’t mean it’s one of the best movies in the franchise, but it’s certainly a step up from Resurrection ‘F’, which I think is just terrible.

Anyway, Toei’s writing with Dragon Ball has traditionally been the epitome of hit or miss. I don’t really watch any of their others properties, so I can’t make any judgments about them. All I know is that it’s been three years since the anime version of Super ended, and there hasn’t been a drop of news about it returning, which makes me inclined to think that it’s done.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:20 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:54 pm I actually like the “Dragon Ball Minus” portion but it could definitely have been removed. It doesn’t even pertain to Broli
IMO, it should have been used as three separate flashbacks to break up the fighting. A King Vegeta III flashback after SSG Vegeta fires his blast at Broli while he is under water and cutting back to the impact after, then the Freeza POV flashback after hearing about the discovery of Broli and Paragus, then the Bardock and Gine stuff during the extra dimension stuff.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:28 pm

It's not accessible as DB's not that complicated.
Ugh, that should read "It's not inaccessible".

If Super doesn't return, good, and if it does, good. Either way, I'm fine.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:01 pm

I didn't like the Minus portion and thought it could've been removed but I think it was to cover the story for younger audiences in case they're not familiar with the original Broly's backstory or the Bardock TV special. When Paragus explains why he wants revenge and Vegeta will pay for the sins of his father, Vegeta said it wasn't his business and didn't have anything to do with it. If the main characters didn't care, I don't think the audience was meant to and it was just to explain why this fight was happening.

I liked that the movie was light hearted because I think the concept of revenge would be difficult to take too seriously in DB at this point. Freeza, a villain killed and resurrected twice, wants revenge against two protagonists who were also killed and resurrected twice. Paragus likely isn't aware so that's probably why he's the one who's really serious about revenge. His own death was kinda treated as a gag so Freeza could anger Broly and it backfired when Broly attacked Freeza for an hour.

I could wrong about all this but this was my interpretation :thumbup:.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:07 am

I consider myself a Digimon fan, but my eyes glazed over reading those complaints in the OP. The Digimon reboot's problem isn't power-scaling nitpicks, it's the fact that it's a shallow nostalgia tread completely bereft of drama, characterisation or basic plot momentum. And either way, it has no bearing on what an eventual Dragon Ball anime sequel might be like, especially if it follows the manga.