Top 5 Dragon Ball fights.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Goku da Silva

Top 5 Dragon Ball fights.

Post by Goku da Silva » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:55 pm

I've created this topic so we can share our favorite top 5 combats of the series.

Here's my list in order of importance to me:

1 - Son Goku vs Freeza;
2 - Son Goku vs Vegeta (the first fight, that's pretty obivious but since i'm new here...);
3 - Son Goku vs Piccolo Daimaō;
4 - Son Goku vs Tao Pai Pai;
5 - Son Goku vs Tien Shinhan (22º Tenka'ichi Budōkai)

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Top 5 Dragon Ball fights.

Post by Koitsukai » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:01 pm

Nice one. You sure like Goku's fighting style, so do I.

Mine:
1- Goku vs Freeza (The culmination of everything DB was about)
2- Goku vs Jiren (Goku literally makes Jiren admit he got his ass handed to him)
3- Goku vs Cell (this fight was teased so much that I just couldn't wait for the episode to be aired. And it delivered. There's a silly warm up, a technique-based fight, a bunch of ultimate attacks and finally an all-out fight)
4- Piccolo vs Android 17 (man, they disliked each other)
5- Z-senshi vs Nappa (first fight I ever saw, Nappa was such an invincible beast)

Bonus: Gogeta vs Broly

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:34 am

Why not?

5. Everyone vs Pure Buu. Lots of back and forth with everyone involved contributing something, and Vegeta getting beat up a lot. Satisfying conclusion.

4. Goku vs Piccolo in Tenkaichi Budokai/ goku vs Vegeta in the Saiyan Arc. Ibput these together as the best "big bad" fights.

3. Everyone vs Recoome. I love the "everyone fights a tank until Goku saves the day" fights, and this one has some great action and comedy.

2. Everyone vs Nappa. Same as before, but I bit better done. I also really liked Nappa as a dumb henchman, and wish we could have used him a bit more, although I'm not really sure how.

1. Goku vs Jackie Chun. Best fight in the series, hands down. It's got everything, action, comedy, high stakes, all woven together seamless into one of the most visually interesting fights in Dragon Ball. The anime even has a kickass insert song for it.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:49 am

1. Goku vs Piccolo Jr
2. Goku vs Vegeta
3. Goku vs Freeza
4. Goku vs Jackie Chun
5. Goku and Piccolo vs Raditz

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:08 am

No particular order

1) Goku vs Baby - Not the best fight itself, but features my favorite form and favorite villain. Also it's a nice callback to early DBZ and is very climatic.

2) Goku vs King Piccolo - It had very emotional build up and very satisfying conclusion. Goku was also just a kid back then and Piccolo was a demon, not namekian yet, so it made things pretty scary.

3) Goku & Piccolo vs Raditz - Raditz felt so strong back then that Piccolo himself wanted to join forces with Goku. It was also one of last fights before DBZ turned into "whoever screams louder wins". It also had very shocking conclusion as Goku actually died in this fight.

4) Everyone vs Broly (first movie) - I love brutality of Broly in this one and unlike all other Broly movies, including DBS, he was actually pretty intelligent after transforming making him very dangerous. There is a lot of great scenes in this fight. The only downside of this fight is its finale. Goku punching him in stomach was very meh, second Broly movie had much better ending.

5) Everyone vs Syn/Omega Shenron - This fight had a lot of ups and downs, especially in the middle episodes, but SFPS4 Goku, Gogeta and finale were all worth it. It also felt like actual final battle, not just for GT, but for entire franchise. Omega also had one of the most badass introductions in franchise imo, appearing out of nowhere, killing Nuova and completely destroying Goku in fight.

Some honourable mentions:
Goku vs Majin Vegeta, Goku vs Frieza, Goku vs Cooler, Goku & Pan vs Oceanus Shenron, Piccolo vs Android 17, Goku vs Tao Pai Pai, Videl vs Spopovich, everyone vs Nappa, Vegeta vs Recoome
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:08 am

1. Goku, Krillin, Gohan and Yajirobe vs Vegeta (Saiyan arc) - Not just the best fight in Dragon Ball, but one of the best fights you'll ever see in a Shonen series. It has everything... high stakes, perfect pacing, legendary iconography, stunning visuals, wonderfully subtle character growth weaved into the fight, dramatic plot swerves and a great twist ending that sets up several other stories. The fight is Dragon Ball at its best.

2. Goku vs Piccolo (23rd WMAT) - The best fight to ever take place in a tournament setting in Dragon Ball. The fight introduced a ton of gimmicks (that would later become overused) that made the fight so unique and dramatic.

3. Goku, Vegeta, #17 and Freeza vs Jiren (Universal Survival arc) - The best visual personification of ramming yourself into a brick wall and hoping it breaks and falls. The debut (and usage) of Mastered Ultra Instinct remains one of the narratives and visual high points in all of Dragon Ball.

4. Goku vs Tenshinhan (22nd WMAT) - A wonderfully creative fight that interweaved a brilliantly nuanced character arc for Tenshinhan. Loses points for the bullshit ending.

5. Goku vs Broly (Dragon Ball Super: Broly) - From an aesthetic standpoint, no fight in Dragon Ball has ever looked this good. The POV shot of Broly chasing after and fight Goku, in particular, is truly remarkable. Just great craftsmanship involved in the fight.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:53 am

1. Goku vs Kid Buu

2. Goku vs Cell

3. Goku vs Majin Vegeta

4. Majin Vegeta vs Fat Buu

5. Ultimate Gohan vs Gotenks-Boo

Just a list man. Not in terms of favorite or such. All these 5 fights got gorgeous animation & choreography.

Beiga

Post by Beiga » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:52 am

1. Son Goku vs. Freeza - The all-time classic
2. Son Goku + Kuririn + Son Gohan + Yajirobe vs. Vegeta - Especially the Kamehameha/Gyarriku Ho!
3. Son Goku vs. Ma Jr.
4. Son Goku vs. Jackie Chun
5. Son Goku + No. 17 + Freeza vs. Jiren (Mastered Ultra Instinct is the best transformation in the series - yes, even including SSJ-fight me :D )

Honorable Mentions: SSJ2 Goku vs. Majin Vegeta, Piccolo vs. No. 17, Kuririn vs. the Saibaiman (Scattering Energy Wave!), Son Goku + Vegeta + Mr. Boo + Mr. Satan vs. Pure Boo (Best Genki Dama!), Son Goku vs. Cell (Warp Kamehameha!),

slifer875

Post by slifer875 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:17 pm

1 goku vs picoloo jr: i don't think even the vegeta fight comes close to this one, the stakes are creative and the ending is catharthic, its such a great final fight that i do not believe any other finale in the series comes close to it.
2 goku vs hit: hit was one of the few saving graces in DBS, i love how all of his fights revolves around strategy and prediction, both fights are great but i love the first one more because hit is not a walking big number but a puzzle to solve, the kaioken return give us the first good DBS episode.
3 picoloo vs n17: in this i mostly speaking about the anime version, i love how even they are and picoloo final gamble with a new tecnique
4 goku vs janemba: this is in my opinion still the best looking animated fight in the franchise, janembas moves are creative and SSJ3 never looked as good as in this movie, its pretty much an upgraded version of goku vs majin buu/kid buu but with a movie budget
5 goku vs roshi: i love the whole master vs student theme going on, there is a lot o back and forth betwen the two with a shocking conclusion but i preffer the anime version, especially when the original insert song kicks in for the final few minutes of the fight.
Honorable mention: everyone vs hildergarn, this movie is beautfiful and a kaiju size oponent make for a different type of fight.
Last edited by slifer875 on Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:29 pm

1) Goku vs. Piccolo Jr. - This just has a little bit of everything. Strategy, stakes, violence, fantastic paneling/animation, and even a fair bit of humor. Toriyama was, as the kid's say, "In his bag" for this one.
2) Everyone vs. Vegeta - I'm just gonna consolidate this whole fight starting with Goku vs. Vegeta. This motherfucker just would not let up, getting back up from EVERYTHING. At the end of the fight, just about everyone is obliterated...you really feel just what a toll this took on all involved, including Vegeta. It's a small wonder his character became so popular off this.
3) Gohan vs. Cell - the anime version. Episode 191 is the best Dragon Ball episode ever produced. Periodt. The end. Don't @ me.
4) Kid Buu vs. Goku - For all the flaws of the arc preceding it - and there are a LOT - Toriyama really stuck the landing with this one. You have a great bit with vegeta's redemption and finally being a team player, the drama of Goku's SSJ3 power shorting on him, the struggle to complete the Spirit Bomb, Mr. Satan and Buu's contribution. I still goosebumps thinking of the moment where all of the energy hits the Spirit Bomb at once.
5) Goku vs. Tien, 22nd TB. Tien's epiphany is a big reason why I love this fight, and the original Kikoho and the subsequent conclusion is fantastic theory and an inventive way to finish the fight and screw Goku over yet again.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:17 pm

My all time favorite fight is everyone vs Vegeta. It's hard for me to pick my top 5 since there are so many great fights so I guess I'll go by each series (the fights aren't in any order)

DB
-Goku vs Piccolo Jr
-Goku vs Tien
-Goku vs Jackie Chun
-Goku vs King Piccolo
-Goku vs Ninja Murasaki (an odd choice but my favorite gag fight in the series)

DBZ
-Everyone vs Vegeta
-Goku vs Freeza
-Goku and Piccolo vs Raditz
-Vegeta vs Recoome
-Goku vs Perfect Cell

GT
-Goku vs Nova
-Goku vs Baby
-Goku vs Eis
-Goku and Vegeta vs Omega
-Vegeta vs Baby Gohan and Goten

Super
-Gogeta vs Broly
-Goku vs Broly
-Goku, Freeza, and 17 vs Jiren
-Gohan and Piccolo vs the U6 Nameks
-Goku vs Hit

Movies/specials
-Goku and Piccolo vs Garlic Jr's henchmen
-Roshi vs Wheelo's henchmen
-Bardock vs Dodoria's squad
-Goku vs Janemba
-Everyone vs Broly

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:35 am

5. Goku vs. Jiren
4. Piccolo vs. 17
3. Goku vs. Kid Buu
2. Goku vs. Jackie Chun/Master Roshi
1. Goku vs. Vegeta (Saiyan Saga)
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:27 pm

1. Goku vs Tien (both) - I'm going to cheat and put both fights here. Both fights are technical masterpieces. Tien's fights and DB were all a treat, but what really makes his fights stand out is the intricate hand to hand fight choreography. I love the machinegun fist flurry he used on Goku in the 22nd and the submission techniques and joint locks he used in the 23rd.

2. Piccolo vs #17 - When you think of the pure hard hitting action of the "Z" era this is the fight that perfectly encapsulates all of that. Big beams, big punches, big kicks, and all sorts of creativity. Probably the only battle I can think of where every blow feels world shattering, at least in the anime.

3. Goku vs. Krillin 22nd TB - I love the action and transitions of this fight. It starts as a very technical battle between equals but once it becomes clear that Goku has a big advantage, things get emotional as Krillin does all he can to overcome Goku. A rare instance where we want to root against Goku. The sportsmanship in the end gets me too. I love that.

4. Goku vs Piccolo - This one's the quintessential DB fight, and I refer to the entire franchise. This fight sets the template for every big fight after it. I think that's why the Goku v. Vegeta fight is so similar. It's really really good and should probably be #1, but I like some other fights more. I'd probably like it more if it was more equal, but Piccolo spent most of the fight getting his ass kicked despite them being rivals.

5. Trunks vs Frieza - This one's different from the others. I'd maybe put my honorable mention here instead, but this one stands out because it's different. It's the best example of a squash match in the entire series. It works effectively well for shocking the audience and for getting over the strength of Trunks as well as the new threats. It's kind of insane that this was legitimately Frieza's last canonical moment in the franchise for 30 years and he was shown to be completely outclassed.

HM:
Gohan, Krillin, & Vegeta vs. Ginyus - I love how tactical the early parts of this fight was. And how ferociously Vegeta fought when his back was against the wall. Recoome was a great "wall" character, better than Nappa IMO. This fight loses points because Goku comes in and one-shots all the tension away. The rest of the fight with Ginyu and Jeice was just messy.

Down the line, I could see some Super fights taking one or two of the top spots. Some of the choreography in the ToP and FT arc was insane. I'm just not as emotionally connected to those moments ... yet.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:49 pm

BWri wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:27 pm2. Piccolo vs #17 - When you think of the pure hard hitting action of the "Z" era this is the fight that perfectly encapsulates all of that. Big beams, big punches, big kicks, and all sorts of creativity. Probably the only battle I can think of where every blow feels world shattering, at least in the anime.
It's interesting that this is the last (or one of the last if I'm remembering wrong) major fights between two non-Saiyan characters. In the Buu saga, I think it was only Piccolo vs Babidi and Shin vs Buu. There were a few in the tournament but those were pretty short and wouldn't really count as major battles.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:35 am

That's hard.

1) SSJ Goku vs Freeza
2) SSJ2 Goku vs Majin Vegeta
3) Goku vs Caulifla/Kale/Kefla
4) Gogeta vs Broly
5) SSJ2 Gohan vs Cell Juniors

Honorable mentions: Vegeta vs Broly (DBS Broly Movie) and Goku vs Merged Zamasu (DBS manga)
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:16 am

Everyone's already done a far better job of explaining the best ones like Piccolo vs. Goku, I'll just pick through some other favourite fights of mine.

Jackie Chun vs. Son Goku -- No, this isn't the most technically amazing fight ever, but I think it's perhaps the best demonstration of Toriyama's skill at crafting engaging, multilayered conflict when he really puts effort into it. Simply put, you find yourself rooting for both Goku and Roshi here. Goku's the hero and underdog, so of course you want to see him succeed, but on the other hand, Roshi is trying to teach Goku the most valuable, recurring lesson in Dragon Ball: there's always someone stronger out there, so don't get complacent. So you don't want Goku to do too well. For Roshi, it's also a matter of proving that he's still a contender in old age, as later arcs would continue to explore. The action is fun throughout. Roshi throws every technique he has and the kitchen sink at Goku, who just adapts to everything with frightening ease. Then of course there's Goku going Oozaru, forcing Roshi to destroy the Moon. Then there's the other silly stuff like Roshi randomly bursting into karaoke and the referee criticising Roshi for using a lame move like hypnosis to win. This fight just has so much going for it and is easily a peer of the final rounds of later Budokai arcs.

Plus, the fight goes on for like 4.5x longer than the Tournament of Power, in-universe. Now Roshi's contending with the likes of Jiren while he could barely keep up with a child Goku. Funny how things turn out.

Kid Buu vs. Goku (DBZ anime) -- This fight probably wouldn't make it on my real Top 5 because of how fatigued the whole final stretch of the Buu arc was and how contrived it was to get to this point, but in many ways, it was all worth it as we got a properly creative, well-animated showdown between Orange Kung-Fu Hick and Pink Gum Monster. Like many Buu arc fights, it's infinitely better in animation than in the manga, as by this point Toriyama's art style took a fatal nosedive. But yeah, I love the creativity on display, seeing Buu use his stretchy body to full advantage: wrapping his head-tentacle round Goku's neck to send him flying, flattening his body into a parachute to reduce the blowback of an attack, throwing hands upside-down while Goku remains rightside-up. Great stuff.

Vegeta vs. Broly (DBS) -- Yes, specifically the opening bout of the third act. The animation and choreography on display is just... gorgeous. Vegeta feels properly powerful and in control (at least until he starts to get put on the backfoot). Every kick, headbutt and especially that last Super Saiyan God punch all feel so impactful. Everyone characterises the "Shintani style" as soft and fluffy but when characters start throwing hands and going Super Saiyan, this isn't true at all. Vegeta looks so mean, hard-faced and angular here. It's awesome. I prefer fisticuffs over Gogeta and Broly spamming ki blasts at each other at lightspeed any day.

Kuririn vs. Piccolo -- Goku vs. Piccolo is obviously better in every way, it goes without saying, but this warm-up match gives the second student of Kame a real chance to shine. Kuririn is badass here, he knows he's outclassed but he puts on a great show. The graceful way Kuririn concedes the match in the end while still keeping some dignity and respect from the crowd is heartwarming as hell. The stand-out moment has to go to Kuririn's first use of Bukujutsu to stop himself in midair, and that mischievous smirk he gives.

Goku vs. Hearts -- Yes, you read that right, I put a Dragon Ball Heroes fight on here. While you might be inclined to say "when you're surrounded by shit, the shiniest turd looks the best", but credit where it's due, this is genuinely a stellar little fight. Fluid, frenetic animation, good art direction, creative set-pieces and choreography (something simple like Goku grappling onto a building is very nice when so many fights don't utilise the scenery at all). This fight actually made me sit up and start giving slightly more attention to Heroes, but unfortunately few subsequent Heroes fights have been able to live up to the standard of this one. Plus, you have Koyasu playing a heart-themed villain in Dragon Ball, so the JoJo stans have something to meme about.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:17 am

5. Goku vs. Frieza

The battle that led to the explosion of a planet.

4. Goku vs. Piccolo

The most brutal fight in the entire series.

3. Goku vs. Cell

The display of speed and technique was insane.

2. Piccolo vs. 17

They fought like they had beef for years.

1. Goku vs. Vegeta (first round)

Classic anime rivalry.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:03 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:16 am Vegeta vs. Broly (DBS) -- Yes, specifically the opening bout of the third act. The animation and choreography on display is just... gorgeous. Vegeta feels properly powerful and in control (at least until he starts to get put on the backfoot). Every kick, headbutt and especially that last Super Saiyan God punch all feel so impactful. Everyone characterises the "Shintani style" as soft and fluffy but when characters start throwing hands and going Super Saiyan, this isn't true at all. Vegeta looks so mean, hard-faced and angular here. It's awesome. I prefer fisticuffs over Gogeta and Broly spamming ki blasts at each other at lightspeed any day.
In terms of production and sensory impact this is EASILY the best fight in the entire DB franchise. When Broly punched Vegeta into the mountain my stomach hurt.

EDIT: Plus we get simultaneously the most hilarious and most awesome punch ever thrown in DB

Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Piccolo_Daima
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Piccolo_Daima » Sat May 01, 2021 6:43 am

Piccolo vs Freeza

Vegeta vs Everyone (Sayan saga)

Goku vs Freeza

Piccolo vs 17

Piccolo vs Goku (Tournament 23)

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat May 01, 2021 9:36 am

One that has always been in my top 5 for pure entertainment value is Trunks vs Goten.