Which Part Of Dragon Ball Is BETTER: The Majin Buu Saga OR The Entirety Of Dragon Ball GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Re: Which Part Of Dragon Ball Is BETTER: The Majin Buu Saga OR The Entirety Of Dragon Ball GT?

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun May 02, 2021 4:46 pm

My bad. I think Toriyama was really enthusiastic about that direction from everything I've read but Morishita takes the credit for the idea of kid Goku. It is surprising that someone from the anime staff would first consider taking that kind of risk. But still pretty alright that they at least gave it a go.

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Re: Which Part Of Dragon Ball Is BETTER: The Majin Buu Saga OR The Entirety Of Dragon Ball GT?

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Mon May 03, 2021 2:34 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:12 pm
UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:04 pm GT's problem start when baby arc starts. It's when it tries to be DBZ is when it falls. When it was it's own thing the prior arcs, it's slice of life adventure and is great.
Too bad it was sprinkled with plot contrivances, rehashes, and unfunny gags.
Besides, GT certainly did not try to be its own thing with the Black Star balls, it was literally meant to harken back to the fucking Hunt for the Dragon Balls in early DB. That's why they made him a kid again.
I disagree. I feel it was wholesome content and my first time watching that part of the series was just two years ago. I was legit surprised by how well written it is. Anyone who enjoys slice of life adventure should give it a fresh watch in 2021 it's pretty great if you set aside it's not Z and watch it for what it is instead of for what it isn't.

I genuinely think if the fandom got this first part it'd be popular like it was in Brasil and few other countries that didn't just start it at Baby.
We the ones

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon May 03, 2021 2:53 am

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:34 am
PurestEvil wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:12 pm
UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:04 pm GT's problem start when baby arc starts. It's when it tries to be DBZ is when it falls. When it was it's own thing the prior arcs, it's slice of life adventure and is great.
Too bad it was sprinkled with plot contrivances, rehashes, and unfunny gags.
Besides, GT certainly did not try to be its own thing with the Black Star balls, it was literally meant to harken back to the fucking Hunt for the Dragon Balls in early DB. That's why they made him a kid again.
I disagree. I feel it was wholesome content and my first time watching that part of the series was just two years ago. I was legit surprised by how well written it is. Anyone who enjoys slice of life adventure should give it a fresh watch in 2021 it's pretty great if you set aside it's not Z and watch it for what it is instead of for what it isn't.

I genuinely think if the fandom got this first part it'd be popular like it was in Brasil and few other countries that didn't just start it at Baby.
Well, I may have felt the opposite of your feelings when watching the arc, but I respect your opinion. However, I still believe that the arc's issues turned away some potential fans (at least for americans).
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon May 03, 2021 8:34 am

PurestEvil wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:53 am However, I still believe that the arc's issues turned away some potential fans (at least for americans).
In America, the Black Star Dragon Ball arc was the last arc we got since Funimation skipped straight ahead to the Baby arc and released the Black Star arc last as “The Lost episodes” so I don’t know how it could have turned away potential fans.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon May 03, 2021 9:44 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:34 am
PurestEvil wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:53 am However, I still believe that the arc's issues turned away some potential fans (at least for americans).
In America, the Black Star Dragon Ball arc was the last arc we got since Funimation skipped straight ahead to the Baby arc and released the Black Star arc last as “The Lost episodes” so I don’t know how it could have turned away potential fans.
Wait, what? That actually happened? What the fuck were Funimation thinking?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon May 03, 2021 10:06 am

PurestEvil wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:44 am
https://youtu.be/XGAVTwhsyOs

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon May 03, 2021 9:14 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:44 am
To be perfectly honest, it was the right call...hell I think one of the staff members at Toei even said in an interview that it was a smart move on Funi's part.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon May 03, 2021 11:45 pm

Maybe from a business perspective it was the right call, but in terms of the story it's a poor decision to skip those episodes. The entire arc builds up towards Baby's arrival. It's a part of the same story. Skipping those episodes hurts the saga, not helps.

Another part of the problem was that most of the GT dub aired in the "post-Toonami" Toonami era, when they switched from five days to one day per week. If it had aired daily instead of weekly, with one to two episodes per day, then they could have burned through the whole series in a couple months without having to skip over any episodes. The dub itself was bad enough, no need to drag it out forever.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue May 04, 2021 12:33 am

MyVisionity wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:45 pm Maybe from a business perspective it was the right call, but in terms of the story it's a poor decision to skip those episodes. The entire arc builds up towards Baby's arrival. It's a part of the same story. Skipping those episodes hurts the saga, not helps.

Another part of the problem was that most of the GT dub aired in the "post-Toonami" Toonami era, when they switched from five days to one day per week. If it had aired daily instead of weekly, with one to two episodes per day, then they could have burned through the whole series in a couple months without having to skip over any episodes. The dub itself was bad enough, no need to drag it out forever.
Well they started with their arrival on the Machine Mutant Planet, where it was quite a while before Baby actually showed up. I don't recall much of the first GT arc but I think Myu, Rildo, et al don't come up until that planet, right? Like, not even an off-hand mention from somebody from another planet?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue May 04, 2021 4:02 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:33 am Well they started with their arrival on the Machine Mutant Planet, where it was quite a while before Baby actually showed up. I don't recall much of the first GT arc but I think Myu, Rildo, et al don't come up until that planet, right? Like, not even an off-hand mention from somebody from another planet?
No they were involved previously. Myu and Rilld appeared prior to that and were behind everything on Planet Lood which kicked off at the end of episode 8, and Giru who first appeared in episode 3 was revealed to have been working for Rilld/Myu to capture the Saiyans.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue May 04, 2021 2:58 pm

The Boo saga is the pinnacle of Toriyama's storytelling.

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Tue May 04, 2021 3:56 pm

That's a tough one for me. Both are all over the place, but in the end I'd give the edge to the Buu arc. Even though the Buu is wildly inconsistent because of its asspulls and lack of a central, consistent villain, it's still a fun ride and you can tell Toriyama was having a lot of fun with the return to the more light-hearted nature present from the early series. GT, on the other hand, was a mishandled mess of semi-decent ideas that the writers couldn't quite execute correctly. It has its high points and I really enjoyed their attempt to expand the Saiyan lore in the Baby arc, as well as introducing consequences to the heavy abuse of the Dragon Balls, but overall it generally just falls flat with no coherent sense of direction. It has none of the charm of the wild and crazy aspects of Toriyama's Buu arc.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed May 05, 2021 6:12 pm

The Buu saga was fun and nowhere as dull as GT in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Mr. Slump

Post by Mr. Slump » Sat May 08, 2021 4:34 pm

Boo saga was fun, wacky, and felt refreshing after the self seriousness of the Cell saga while GT felt all over the place.

Plus, Super Saiyan 3>>>Super Saiyan 4

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 08, 2021 5:20 pm

Mr. Slump wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:34 pm Boo saga was fun, wacky, and felt refreshing after the self seriousness of the Cell saga while GT felt all over the place.

What do you mean by "all over the place"?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sat May 08, 2021 5:29 pm

ABED wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:20 pm
Mr. Slump wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:34 pm Boo saga was fun, wacky, and felt refreshing after the self seriousness of the Cell saga while GT felt all over the place.

I mean GT is particularly messy even by Dragonball standards. I think he means about how GT was unable to pick a lane of returning to DB's roots or continuing high-pressure action. Like turning Goku into a kid, but keeping SSJ and all of his power. Doesn't have the same guidance of Toriyama who sort of relished in his sporadic writing. At least In my opinion. Do you not think GT was rather unpolished?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 08, 2021 5:42 pm

Mad Swami wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:29 pm

I mean GT is particularly messy even by Dragonball standards. I think he means about how GT was unable to pick a lane of returning to DB's roots or continuing high-pressure action. Like turning Goku into a kid, but keeping SSJ and all of his power. Doesn't have the same guidance of Toriyama who sort of relished in his sporadic writing. At least In my opinion. Do you not think GT was rather unpolished?
That's variety, not mess. DB didn't "pick a lane". It did multiple genres, structures, etc. The issue is execution but there was nothing fundamentally wrong with starting off the way it did before transitioning into a more action oriented approach. This is the sort of argument that really doesn't hold up upon closer inspection. The Buu arc is fondly remembered by lots of fans and it starts off as also going back to DB's roots and then transitions to a more typical DBZ structure.

There's nothing wrong with starting in one direction before transitioning into something else. Contrast can work very well, and by the same token, picking a lane can feel monotonous.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sat May 08, 2021 8:26 pm

ABED wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:42 pm
Mad Swami wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:29 pm
That's variety, not mess. DB didn't "pick a lane". It did multiple genres, structures, etc. The issue is execution but there was nothing fundamentally wrong with starting off the way it did before transitioning into a more action oriented approach. This is the sort of argument that really doesn't hold up upon closer inspection. The Buu arc is fondly remembered by lots of fans and it starts off as also going back to DB's roots and then transitions to a more typical DBZ structure.

There's nothing wrong with starting in one direction before transitioning into something else. Contrast can work very well, and by the same token, picking a lane can feel monotonous.
The half commitment of Goku being turned into a kid isn't a case of mixing and blend of genres or structures. The Buu saga blends them and follows through on its concepts. There is a fundamental flaw with the kid Goku idea. It's also not the only concept which is inherently flawed. Sure GT has some of the best ideas in Dragonball and its main issue is execution, but through both pacing and some poorer concepts like Kid Goku, the show is a bit all over the place. I would concede though that the main issue is in execution of ideas. Through pacing or other means, the way the great ideas were mishandled is the true issue.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 09, 2021 5:51 am

How was it a half commitment? this feels less of a case of them not committing to an idea and them not going with how YOU thought it should've been done. It's just meant as a gag. Goku is a man old enough to be a grandfather but he's in the body of a young boy. And now he's going on an adventure with his granddaughter. He also doesn't keep all his power. His young body isn't as durable. How does him being a kid have anything to do with not being able to turn Super Saiyan?
Mad Swami wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:26 pm The Buu saga blends them and follows through on its concepts.
again, this is something that doesn't hold up upon further scrutiny. The arc was clearly setting up the next generation to be the focal point and the heroes and it changes directions in the third act.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sun May 09, 2021 10:35 am

ABED wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:51 am How was it a half commitment? this feels less of a case of them not committing to an idea and them not going with how YOU thought it should've been done. It's just meant as a gag. Goku is a man old enough to be a grandfather but he's in the body of a young boy. And now he's going on an adventure with his granddaughter. He also doesn't keep all his power. His young body isn't as durable. How does him being a kid have anything to do with not being able to turn Super Saiyan?
Mad Swami wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:26 pm The Buu saga blends them and follows through on its concepts.
again, this is something that doesn't hold up upon further scrutiny. The arc was clearly setting up the next generation to be the focal point and the heroes and it changes directions in the third act.
It's half commitment because it doesn't really change anything. All it ends up doing is creating minor inconveniences later in the story. I don't think he should of become a kid in the first place, my only point is do something with it. You say it affects his power, but GT Kid Goku in base fights a Buu-level fighter. He is still super powerful. It doesn't matter he's a kid it's just a pointless plot development.

Well, one this is a different discussion somewhat, I was saying it blended the old and new and never simply dropped one. However, I will say that the third act doesn't completely drop it. As Goku and Vegeta fight Buu it's framed as the old generations last fight before the new truly will step up. Also, the Spirit Bomb was meant to incorporate everyone. I would also say the Buu saga was somewhat consistent with at least showing that Goku was pushing the next generation too soon before they were ready. Gotenks and Gohan both were a little too young to handle the scale of the job. It doesn't feel just forgot.