Which Part Of Dragon Ball Is BETTER: The Majin Buu Saga OR The Entirety Of Dragon Ball GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Re: Which Part Of Dragon Ball Is BETTER: The Majin Buu Saga OR The Entirety Of Dragon Ball GT?

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:17 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:55 pm The Super 17 arc was only like 7 episodes and probably gets talked about less than any arc in GT. I think GT’s bad rep goes further than that.
For sure. What I mean is that all of the issues with GT are on full display at their worst in that arc, IMO.

It's only 7 episodes, but those 7 episodes are the show's low point and brought the whole thing down for me after finding the Baby arc to be pretty ok (once it got going).

I personally think GT would be at least somewhat better received if the series went straight from Baby to the Shadow Dragons. The core issues would still be there, but we wouldn't have that low point to emphasize them.
Last edited by Majin Buu on Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Which Part Of Dragon Ball Is BETTER: The Majin Buu Saga OR The Entirety Of Dragon Ball GT?

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:27 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:55 pm
Majin Buu wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:50 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:39 am I honestly think I'd have to go with Buu on this one, purely because of A) that god awful super 17 arc, and B) Super Saiyaman is cool.
I'm convinced that a lot of GT's bad reputation stems from how awful the Super 17 arc is. Easily the worst part of GT.
The Super 17 arc was only like 7 episodes and probably gets talked about less than any arc in GT. I think GT’s bad rep goes further than that.
If anything, the Black Star Ball arc is a much bigger factor of GT's bad rep, and kind of for good reason.
Boring, annoying, and nonsensical, no wonder so many fans were turned away.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:30 pm

Agree to disagree then. The Black Star Ball arc is admittedly pretty boring, but the Super 17 arc just left a worse impression on me.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:36 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:30 pm Agree to disagree then. The Black Star Ball arc is admittedly pretty boring, but Super 17 arc just left a worse impression on me.
Oh, don't get me wrong, Super 17 is MUCH worse than Black Star, I just think that the terrible first impression had a bigger impact on the fandom.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:38 pm

The Majin Boo arc is messy, but it generally has a lot more personality to it than GT, so I’d have to say that it’s better. I still love Super Saiyan 4 and the ending, though

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:52 pm

Entirety of GT? Boo arc, no question.

That said, the Baby arc, besides the ending, is better than most of the Boo arc imo.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:09 pm

Buu had the fighting candy episode so ill go with that.
We the ones

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:00 pm

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:09 pm Buu had the fighting candy episode so ill go with that.
I love that Vegetto is so powerful that he becomes autonomous when turned into an inanimate object

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:13 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:40 pm May there one be a day where a discussion of quality doesn’t have to bring up the irrelevancy of canon.

Anyways, Majin Boo is just a lot of fun. GT isn’t fun. There were fantastic ideas in GT but the execution tended to be lackluster.
That's about where I stand. GT does have this nostalgic aura to it that brings some enjoyment when I watch it, but I have a good time with the Buu arc, even when it has story issues, likely due to a burnt out Toriyama.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:00 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:17 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:55 pm The Super 17 arc was only like 7 episodes and probably gets talked about less than any arc in GT. I think GT’s bad rep goes further than that.
For sure. What I mean is that all of the issues with GT are on full display at their worst in that arc, IMO.

It's only 7 episodes, but those 7 episodes are the show's low point and brought the whole thing down for me after finding the Baby arc to be pretty ok (once it got going).

I personally think GT would be at least somewhat better received if the series went straight from Baby to the Shadow Dragons. The core issues would still be there, but we wouldn't have that low point to emphasize them.
I actually agree with this take of the Super 17 arc, it condenses every or most problems of GT in a few episodes.

It has silly, uninteresting fights.
It has dumb decisions made by the characters just to move the plot forward, shoehorned stuff, even during fights.
It has Goku-only stamped on it, everybody is just there just because Goku isn't, when he is there, the rest are out of comission.
It re-writes how things work (androids going to hell, androids having labs in hell, every evil guy keeping their bodies, androids having ki).

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat May 01, 2021 4:01 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:55 pm
Majin Buu wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:50 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:39 am I honestly think I'd have to go with Buu on this one, purely because of A) that god awful super 17 arc, and B) Super Saiyaman is cool.
I'm convinced that a lot of GT's bad reputation stems from how awful the Super 17 arc is. Easily the worst part of GT.
The Super 17 arc was only like 7 episodes and probably gets talked about less than any arc in GT. I think GT’s bad rep goes further than that.
Eh, I dunno. Every Dragon Ball space I've been on for the last 15 years universally shits on the Super 17 arc
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat May 01, 2021 5:24 pm

At no point watching GT did I ever have the feeling, "oh man, I can't wait for this fight to take place". In a show about punching dudes in the face, that's not a good quality.

If nothing else, the Buu arc gave us the Goku v. Vegeta rematch on steroids.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Sat May 01, 2021 6:04 pm

GT's problem start when baby arc starts. It's when it tries to be DBZ is when it falls. When it was it's own thing the prior arcs, it's slice of life adventure and is great.

I get why they started to try to appeal to the Z crowd but yeesh they executed it terribly.
We the ones

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat May 01, 2021 6:12 pm

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:04 pm GT's problem start when baby arc starts. It's when it tries to be DBZ is when it falls. When it was it's own thing the prior arcs, it's slice of life adventure and is great.
Too bad it was sprinkled with plot contrivances, rehashes, and unfunny gags.
Besides, GT certainly did not try to be its own thing with the Black Star balls, it was literally meant to harken back to the fucking Hunt for the Dragon Balls in early DB. That's why they made him a kid again.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat May 01, 2021 9:34 pm

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:04 pm It's when it tries to be DBZ is when it falls.
Okay but what does that even mean? The franchise developed its identity as a martial arts series with high stakes “stop this evil powerful villain” back in the Daimao arc. It’s not trying to be Dragon Ball Z it’s being a Dragon Ball show.
When it was it's own thing the prior arcs, it's slice of life adventure and is great.
Like PurestEvil basically said the first arc of GT is literally the first arc of Dragon Ball but in spaaaaaaace. Right down to recycling the Oolong episode’s plot.

It is by far the most derivative arc of GT excluding Super 17 recycling Z movie 12’s past villains escape from hell thing.

I get why they started to try to appeal to the Z crowd but yeesh they executed it terribly.
More like they realized doing the original arc of Dragon Ball again for a series meant to last at least a year wasn’t sustainable. There’s a reason Toriyama pretty much dropped it after the first.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat May 01, 2021 9:59 pm

I don’t understand why exactly Toei initially chose to make GT a callback to the very first arc of Dragon Ball. That part of the series was never all that popular. Dragon Ball took off in popularity once it became a show about martial arts.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat May 01, 2021 11:08 pm

The series literally aged Goku down to a kid to recapture the magic of the beginning!
Cold World (Fanfic)

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun May 02, 2021 3:12 pm

Wasn't the whole premise of GT Toriyama's idea? I kinda see his logic, he had grown so sick of the violent high-stakes fights of the Buu arc and probably wanted to see a change of pace in the next series, even if he was less involved in it. If I remember from that other series of interviews, Toei were quick to move on from the initial premise of DB in spaaace once they realised it just wasn't working. Yeah, it was a pretty dumb idea in hindsight but I get why they tried it.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun May 02, 2021 3:22 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:12 pm Wasn't the whole premise of GT Toriyama's idea? I kinda see his logic, he had grown so sick of the violent high-stakes fights of the Buu arc and probably wanted to see a change of pace in the next series, even if he was less involved in it. If I remember from that other series of interviews, Toei were quick to move on from the initial premise of DB in spaaace once they realised it just wasn't working. Yeah, it was a pretty dumb idea in hindsight but I get why they tried it.
I never heard about it being Toriyama’s idea. I know he designed many of the initial characters, but I always assumed that it was Toei’s idea to try and bring the series back to its roots. People always talk about GT as though Toriyama’s involvement was kept to the bare minimum. If it was his idea, that would make a bit more sense, but even then, surely he himself would’ve realized that something like that probably wouldn’t sell?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun May 02, 2021 3:38 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:22 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:12 pm Wasn't the whole premise of GT Toriyama's idea? I kinda see his logic, he had grown so sick of the violent high-stakes fights of the Buu arc and probably wanted to see a change of pace in the next series, even if he was less involved in it. If I remember from that other series of interviews, Toei were quick to move on from the initial premise of DB in spaaace once they realised it just wasn't working. Yeah, it was a pretty dumb idea in hindsight but I get why they tried it.
I never heard about it being Toriyama’s idea. I know he designed many of the initial characters, but I always assumed that it was Toei’s idea to try and bring the series back to its roots. People always talk about GT as though Toriyama’s involvement was kept to the bare minimum. If it was his idea, that would make a bit more sense, but even then, surely he himself would’ve realized that something like that probably wouldn’t sell?
Yeah, the series director whose name escapes me even said they aged Goku down and went back to its roots because they literally couldn't think of where else to go with Goku as a character. They made him a kid to knock him down a peg. But after a few episodes they realized that sucked, so they went right back to the Z formula and even gave Goku a transformation that conveniently aged him back up.
Cold World (Fanfic)