Which Part Of Dragon Ball Is BETTER: The Majin Buu Saga OR The Entirety Of Dragon Ball GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PanSimpson
Banned

Which Part Of Dragon Ball Is BETTER: The Majin Buu Saga OR The Entirety Of Dragon Ball GT?

Post by PanSimpson » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:16 pm

Question above. Which part of the Dragon Ball story is BETTER TO YOU: The Majin Buu Saga OR the entirety of Dragon Ball GT?

And yes, I know GT isn’t officially canon, nor was it based on an original manga written by Toriyama (I’m saying this just in case anyone here points this out to me). I just want to know which Saga in Dragon Ball people think was more fun and better written and what people’s preferences are.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Which Part Of Dragon Ball Is BETTER: The Majin Buu Saga OR The Entirety Of Dragon Ball GT?

Post by Grimlock » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:25 pm

I don't really have a preference. Both are watchable while having their own boring/skippable stuff.
PanSimpson wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:16 pmAnd yes, I know GT isn’t officially canon
How can you know something that isn't even real?
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Which Part Of Dragon Ball Is BETTER: The Majin Buu Saga OR The Entirety Of Dragon Ball GT?

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:40 pm

May there one be a day where a discussion of quality doesn’t have to bring up the irrelevancy of canon.

Anyways, Majin Boo is just a lot of fun. GT isn’t fun. There were fantastic ideas in GT but the execution tended to be lackluster.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:50 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:40 pmAnyways, Majin Boo is just a lot of fun. GT isn’t fun. There were fantastic ideas in GT but the execution tended to be lackluster.
This. :thumbup:
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Gerard Saint Osiris

Post by Gerard Saint Osiris » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:47 am

If we don't count the big mistake in GT that is Super 17 Saga, I would say GT.
But since you said the entirety of GT, I will say Buu Saga. I'll take SSJ3's long hair over Super 17.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:09 am

Why is it that EVERY TIME Dragon Ball GT gets brought up the first thing people say is “it’s not canon”?

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:11 am

Hard question, because GT like every series has ups and downs. If we talk about story then i'd say GT. I love Buu saga and it's my favorite DBZ arc but it doesn't have that great story, while GT story is interesting and well connected, as all arcs kinda make one big story, especially first three arcs. I'd overall say GT, especially since i assume we talk about anime here, so GT in 64 episodes has a lot of stuff and has fast pacing while Buu saga is kinda long and its bad moments take more time than GT's bad moments. Super 17 is probably the worst part of GT, but it's still only 7 episodes and that's it. Buu saga was kinda meh since evil Buu emerged until Ultimate Gohan arrival. I hate Gotenks episodes, like really.
PanSimpson wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:16 pm GT isn’t officially canon
Nothing in DB is officialy canon
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Nosferatu93
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nosferatu93 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:17 am

Boo is my fav because its a lot like dragonball. So boo saga eats gt alive.
Hellsing

PanSimpson
Banned

Post by PanSimpson » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:05 am

I’m NOT saying GT isn’t canon nor was I trying to apply people shouldn’t consider it canon, I’m just saying I’m aware that GT. wasn’t Toriyama’s story.
Last edited by PanSimpson on Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:51 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:09 am Why is it that EVERY TIME Dragon Ball GT gets brought up the first thing people say is “it’s not canon”?
Because fandoms have their weird conception that if something “doesn’t count” then it can’t be of any value.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:15 am

Majin Boo arc still had a lot of great fights and character development particularly with Vegeta. GT only has a few shining moments.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:43 am

The Buu arc has a lot of weird stuff, shoehorned events and questionable logic, but overall it's a fun ride with amazing fights and everybody gets a piece of the action, it keeps you by the edge of your seat, it's clumsy writing ends up working surprisingly well.

GT is fun every now and then, it's basically just Goku and at times it makes me sleepy, so I choose the Buu arc.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:39 am

This is a very difficult choice. On one hand, the Buu arc has the messiest, dumbest narrative in the whole DB manga, but some damn good fights sprinkled around. On the other, GT has two of the dumbest arcs, but also two above average arcs, however the good fights are concentrated in the Baby arc. Both had awesome music (rip kikuchi), both had a good conclusion (not counting EoZ), but both also have some REALLY annoying moments (I don't like Kid Buu, the black star ball arc is riddled with them).

I honestly think I'd have to go with Buu on this one, purely because of A) that god awful super 17 arc, and B) Super Saiyaman is cool.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Goten_jr
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goten_jr » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:13 pm

Baby arc>Buu arc
Buu arc > GT

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:45 pm

The Buu arc by a wide margin.

The Buu arc is entertaining all throughout, GT at its best is only ok.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:51 pm

The Buu arc and its not close. Buu arc is not as bad as people say it is and offers so much well-done execution that people completely ignore. GT has phenomenal concepts but done poorly. GT's best saga is the Baby saga and it still can't compete with the Buu saga.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:18 pm

The Boo saga is fantastic. ALL of it.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:44 pm

Boo arc, and it's not remotely close for me.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:50 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:39 am I honestly think I'd have to go with Buu on this one, purely because of A) that god awful super 17 arc, and B) Super Saiyaman is cool.
I'm convinced that a lot of GT's bad reputation stems from how awful the Super 17 arc is. Easily the worst part of GT.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:55 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:50 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:39 am I honestly think I'd have to go with Buu on this one, purely because of A) that god awful super 17 arc, and B) Super Saiyaman is cool.
I'm convinced that a lot of GT's bad reputation stems from how awful the Super 17 arc is. Easily the worst part of GT.
The Super 17 arc was only like 7 episodes and probably gets talked about less than any arc in GT. I think GT’s bad rep goes further than that.