Which Part Of Dragon Ball Is BETTER: The Majin Buu Saga OR The Entirety Of Dragon Ball GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Which Part Of Dragon Ball Is BETTER: The Majin Buu Saga OR The Entirety Of Dragon Ball GT?

Post by ABED » Sun May 09, 2021 11:24 am

Numerous times throughout the show his stamina is affected by his younger body. One of which is his inability to teleport. Being a roadblock is not pointless. That's sound fundamental storytelling.

Needless to say, I disagree with that last paragraph entirely. It feels completely like Toriyama had a theme, decided it wasn't working out, and switched gears. It's not necessarily for the worse, but he doesn't follow through with the idea like you claim. He half committed.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Re: Which Part Of Dragon Ball Is BETTER: The Majin Buu Saga OR The Entirety Of Dragon Ball GT?

Post by Kinokima » Sun May 09, 2021 11:27 am

I love the Buu arc and don’t like GT all that much so this isn’t even close for me

However unlike someone else on this thread I actually prefer SSJ4 as a transformation over SSJ3 so I will give GT that.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sun May 09, 2021 1:29 pm

ABED wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:24 am Numerous times throughout the show his stamina is affected by his younger body. One of which is his inability to teleport. Being a roadblock is not pointless. That's sound fundamental storytelling.

Needless to say, I disagree with that last paragraph entirely. It feels completely like Toriyama had a theme, decided it wasn't working out, and switched gears. It's not necessarily for the worse, but he doesn't follow through with the idea like you claim. He half-committed.
It's a minor roadblock and it quickly fades during the Baby saga. Throughout a majority of GT Goku's child body is simply there for no real reason. Sure it affected his Instant Transmission in the Black Star Dragon Ball saga, but it doesn't do much outside of that. Sure they say it lessens his control over Super Saiyan 3, saying that the child body can't handle the form but a few things. One, his mortal body in Dragonball could never handle Super Saiyan 3 fully. Nothing's really changed. And second, it's not as if him being a child is really ever resolved. The Kid Goku stuff is a case of a bad concept with horrid execution. Similar to Super 17. GT's concepts are all mostly strong, but there were some duds.

I understand when people say that as Toriyama even admits to his shift in focus from Gohan back to Goku, however, I feel as though the way he handled that transition still lends closure and doesn't feel as though something was completely scrapped. he changed the original idea, yes, but he still worked in the changes to the themes he was having the arc tackle. So perhaps yes you are correct he half committed, however, GT is more abhorrent with its inability to know what it wants to do I feel. Like I get your point, but I think AT swerved the back end into a path that lined up with the established concepts.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 09, 2021 1:38 pm

Mad Swami wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:29 pm
ABED wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:24 am Numerous times throughout the show his stamina is affected by his younger body. One of which is his inability to teleport. Being a roadblock is not pointless. That's sound fundamental storytelling.

Needless to say, I disagree with that last paragraph entirely. It feels completely like Toriyama had a theme, decided it wasn't working out, and switched gears. It's not necessarily for the worse, but he doesn't follow through with the idea like you claim. He half-committed.
It's a minor roadblock and it quickly fades during the Baby saga. Throughout a majority of GT Goku's child body is simply there for no real reason. Sure it affected his Instant Transmission in the Black Star Dragon Ball saga, but it doesn't do much outside of that. Sure they say it lessens his control over Super Saiyan 3, saying that the child body can't handle the form but a few things. One, his mortal body in Dragonball could never handle Super Saiyan 3 fully. Nothing's really changed. And second, it's not as if him being a child is really ever resolved.

I understand when people say that as Toriyama even admits to his shift in focus from Gohan back to Goku, however, I feel as though the way he handled that transition still lends closure and doesn't feel as though something was completely scrapped. he changed the original idea, yes, but he still worked in the changes to the themes he was having the arc tackle. So perhaps yes you are correct he half committed, however, GT is more abhorrent with its inability to know what it wants to do I feel. Like I get your point, but I think AT swerved the back end into a path that lined up with the established concepts.
It's a big reason why SSJ3 fails really quickly. He can't hold that form long as a kid. He also runs out of energy transporting people off Earth. In DBZ, his mortal body couldn't handle it that long because he hadn't trained for it. "Sure, he can't teleport, but other than the thing that it has a big effect on, how does it affect things? See there's nothing else, thus proving my point" is what you sound like. Not being able to teleport is a big development. It takes away a tool in his arsenal.
What is with people issue with Goku becoming a child? Why the hell does that bother people so much?

He didn't work in the themes. The themes were the new generation taking over and the ending undercuts that. As executed in no way implies this is Goku and Vegeta's final fight before allowing the next generation to take over. It reinvigorates them.

So other than Goku being a child, how is GT all over the place? The Buu arc is all over the map because it keeps throwing stuff against the wall with no logical or thematic throughline.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sun May 09, 2021 1:56 pm

ABED wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:38 pm
Mad Swami wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:29 pm

It's a minor roadblock and it quickly fades during the Baby saga. Throughout a majority of GT Goku's child body is simply there for no real reason. Sure it affected his Instant Transmission in the Black Star Dragon Ball saga, but it doesn't do much outside of that. Sure they say it lessens his control over Super Saiyan 3, saying that the child body can't handle the form but a few things. One, his mortal body in Dragonball could never handle Super Saiyan 3 fully. Nothing's really changed. And second, it's not as if him being a child is really ever resolved.

It's a big reason why SSJ3 fails really quickly. He can't hold that form long as a kid. He also runs out of energy transporting people off Earth. In DBZ, his mortal body couldn't handle it that long because he hadn't trained for it. "Sure, he can't teleport, but other than the thing that it has a big effect on, how does it affect things? See there's nothing else, thus proving my point" is what you sound like. Not being able to teleport is a big development. It takes away a tool in his arsenal.

He didn't work in the themes. The themes were the new generation taking over and the ending undercuts that. As executed in no way implies this is Goku and Vegeta's final fight before allowing the next generation to take over. It reinvigorates them.

So other than Goku being a child, how is GT all over the place?
Ok well for starters, my point about Instant Transmission is simply that there is one instance in the story where that comes up and it is almost never brought up again. In SSJ4 the limitation is removed but I don't feel it's really emphasized enough to feel as though Goku has been hindered. It's poorly executed. My point is that him being a kid does very little to affect Goku's status quo and is mostly there for visuals. It affects Instant Transmission, which is something but it's not ever the make or break in GT really. It affects SSJ3 by just making it work the way we've known the form to work since its inception. If it is such a big development then it needed to be done better. The kid form needed to mean more than just an excuse to have Goku and friends walk around on planets for very minor issues. And again, it's not like it's ever given any resolution it's just his form for the series.

Reinvigorates them? Since when did they need to be? Yeah I mean Goku takes a back seat more mentor position for the arc but its not like he and or Vegeta really lost any fighting spirit. You also say that but forget that a big angle the final fight was going for came through Vegeta's speech to Earth about how everyone needs to learn to fight for themselves and can't rely on Goku all the time. Sure Gohan and or Gotenks aren't the one to single-handedly finish the job thus taking the role, but they contribute and are propped up to rise to the occasion in the future. Plus you say it reinvigorates them but by the EOZ Goku has clearly lost the fire in him. Buu was the end of Goku's fire to fight. Until he meets Uub and then he is reinvigorated.

Super 17 being constructed in Hell despite Hell removing victims' bodies. Really the entire arc is messy
The rushed pacing
Gohan returning to Super Saiyan due to iconography despite Z establishing the lack of need for that
The stuff revolving around Sugoroku Space (it was somewhat charming but was messy in its inclusion)
Gogeta fusion being done multiple times successfully just to drag a boringly choreographed fight
Cult of Luud stuff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 09, 2021 3:00 pm

Both Goku and Vegeta were ready to call it quits. Goku was resigned to staying dead and Vegeta was fatalistic. He didn't think Buu could be defeated. Goku thought the next generation's time had come, and that's a big part of the reason he didn't step in to kill Buu. Now he's not just willing to end Buu, he also wants to fight with the honor of a Saiyan warrior instead of bringing things to an expedient end. All this ponits to his him being reinvigorated. Uub doesn't reinvigorate him. He knew Uub was coming. He was waiting for him.
You also say that but forget that a big angle the final fight was going for came through Vegeta's speech to Earth about how everyone needs to learn to fight for themselves and can't rely on Goku all the time. Sure Gohan and or Gotenks aren't the one to single-handedly finish the job thus taking the role, but they contribute and are propped up to rise to the occasion in the future.
I didn't forget and none of this is consistent with the initial theme. Gotenks doesn't really contribute and Goten and Trunks clearly never rise to the occasion in the future. The new gen get lazy with their training, and the ending is ultimately about GOKU'S excitement for HIS future.
Super 17 being constructed in Hell despite Hell removing victims' bodies. Really the entire arc is messy
The rushed pacing
Gohan returning to Super Saiyan due to iconography despite Z establishing the lack of need for that
The stuff revolving around Sugoroku Space (it was somewhat charming but was messy in its inclusion)
Gogeta fusion being done multiple times successfully just to drag a boringly choreographed fight
Cult of Luud stuff
The Sugoroku's space thing is the only thing that could be argued as "all over the place". The rest of it is bad execution or inconsistency in the lore. "All over the place" means lack of focus or stories are set up then never resolved. Toriyama is constantly throwing things against the wall and any one of them could've been the thing that resolves the final battle. For instance, fusion, Super Saiyan 3, Potara, Grand Kaioshin's power up. Gohan is the hero, no Gotenks is the hero, no Goku and Vegeta are the heroes.
The kid form needed to mean more than just an excuse to have Goku and friends walk around on planets for very minor issues. And again, it's not like it's ever given any resolution it's just his form for the series.
1) The world will blow up if he doesn't get the DB's because someone made the wish to make him a kid, hardly a minor issue, and 2) It is given resolution. Goku actively decides to not pursue an adult again.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sun May 09, 2021 3:26 pm

ABED wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:00 pm Both Goku and Vegeta were ready to call it quits. Goku was resigned to staying dead and Vegeta was fatalistic. He didn't think Buu could be defeated. Goku thought the next generation's time had come, and that's a big part of the reason he didn't step in to kill Buu. Now he's not just willing to end Buu, he also wants to fight with the honor of a Saiyan warrior instead of bringing things to an expedient end. All this ponits to his him being reinvigorated. Uub doesn't reinvigorate him. He knew Uub was coming. He was waiting for him.
You also say that but forget that a big angle the final fight was going for came through Vegeta's speech to Earth about how everyone needs to learn to fight for themselves and can't rely on Goku all the time. Sure Gohan and or Gotenks aren't the one to single-handedly finish the job thus taking the role, but they contribute and are propped up to rise to the occasion in the future.
I didn't forget and none of this is consistent with the initial theme. Gotenks doesn't really contribute and Goten and Trunks clearly never rise to the occasion in the future. The new gen get lazy with their training, and the ending is ultimately about GOKU'S excitement for HIS future.
The rushed pacing
Cult of Luud stuff
The Sugoroku's space thing is the only thing that could be argued as "all over the place". The rest of it is bad execution or inconsistency in the lore. "All over the place" means lack of focus or stories are set up then never resolved. Toriyama is constantly throwing things against the wall and any one of them could've been the thing that resolves the final battle. For instance, fusion, Super Saiyan 3, Potara, Grand Kaioshin's power up. Gohan is the hero, no Gotenks is the hero, no Goku and Vegeta are the heroes.
The kid form needed to mean more than just an excuse to have Goku and friends walk around on planets for very minor issues. And again, it's not like it's ever given any resolution it's just his form for the series.
1) The world will blow up if he doesn't get the DB's because someone made the wish to make him a kid, hardly a minor issue, and 2) It is given resolution. Goku actively decides to not pursue an adult again.
While that is true to some extent, I think you are off on some things. Uub does reinvigorate Goku, yes he knew about him and was waiting, but there is a clear shot where we see joy return to Goku's eyes. Piccolo even states how this is the happiest he's been in quite some time. All signs point to Goku being in some sort of funk. He in the Buu saga steps back because he wants to stay true to his desires of having the next generation step up but its not like he doesn't want to fight. He chooses to engage Majin Vegeta and admits how he wants to fight him. He chooses to stall Buu but also enjoys it. Nothing really points to him losing his desire to fight. He just wanted to make sure his kids could also fight and keep fighting for when he returns to Other World where he thinks he belongs at the start. Yes he could have killed Buu back when they met, but it wouldn't feel right to Goku. Goku didn't think it was the right move and thought that Buu's potential made him a worthy foe for his sons. By the end he is willing to because 1. Gohan could easily handle Kid Buu, 2. Kid Buu is much more of a threat and even match for Goku, 3. he gets to finally try his hand at a strong version of Buu without needing to fuse. I get your point but I think the ending just doesn't undercut the next gen angle as heavily as people say. Is it the clearest passing of the torch or next-gen setup there can be? Not at all, the ending is about Goku and Vegeta as warriors. They are true warriors who are ready for this fight and it means something to them. They do it for them yes but by the end it also connects to the whole next gen angle to some extent.

Yes they get lazy and decide over time that they don't wish to fight. But that speech is consistent with the initial theme of Goku won't always be there. Buu saga still revolves around the next gen, the issue is you act like the next gen is supposed to be Goten and Trunks, when the story shows us that its rather Uub. Uub is the next gen, he is the next Goku and a true heir to be the warrior of Earth. Goku originally thought it was his kids, was wrong, saw that, and found a true successor.

If that is your distinction then I supposed I would have to concede. However, I think execution can make something appear all over the place. Like how bad pacing can make something boring. Is boring the criticism? No but its the byproduct of the true criticism bad pacing. So I suppose I'll give you that. However, you are wrong about the constant change of resolution of the saga. Yes, Gohan and Gotenks both work to be the hero of the saga and the story frames it as if they will be, but they both have some pay off and changes add to the stakes. Gotenks is a strong opponent for Buu, in fact they are evenly matched. However, that's the point, Gotenks can't surpass Buu within the time constraints. So now it falls on Gohan's hands. Yes Gohan has the power, and is close to getting it done, but Buu is established as someone who absorbs people and these absorbs Gotenks to get the better of Gohan. Buutenks is still pay off of Gotenks. Pay-offs don't need to be beneficial to the good guys. Gohan is struggling so Goku takes the earings to go fuse with him, that backfires however, as Buu absorbs Gohan before it could take place. It's constantly building. It's not perfectly paced, but it's not just picking up one concept and then dropping it for the next.

Yeah but you act like him being a kid was the only wish whoever found the Black Star Dragonballs could make. Him being a kid isn't the important thing there. Sure for some reason Goku decides not to... Despite no point other than.....look its Goku as a kid again! RAD!!!!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 09, 2021 4:29 pm

Yes they get lazy and decide over time that they don't wish to fight. But that speech is consistent with the initial theme of Goku won't always be there. Buu saga still revolves around the next gen, the issue is you act like the next gen is supposed to be Goten and Trunks, when the story shows us that its rather Uub. Uub is the next gen, he is the next Goku and a true heir to be the warrior of Earth. Goku originally thought it was his kids, was wrong, saw that, and found a true successor.
Except that's not the case at all. It's not about Uub. That ending was about Goku and his happiness that he gets to fight a strong opponent, not that a character introduced in the last three episodes is here. You miss the point of that ending.
it's not just picking up one concept and then dropping it for the next.
That is exactly what it is and you regurgitating the events of the story don't disprove that. Any one of those elements were game changers on the level of something like Super Saiyan 1 and 2 and there are numerous ones in that arc. Gohan was clearly supposed to be the protagonist until it got changed around. It's clear in the story, and AT has stated that to be the case.
No but its the byproduct of the true criticism bad pacing.
You have that backwards, pacing isn't as important as not being boring. Pacing is a means to an end, not the end in itself.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sun May 09, 2021 5:05 pm

ABED wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:29 pm
Except that's not the case at all. It's not about Uub. That ending was about Goku and his happiness that he gets to fight a strong opponent, not that a character introduced in the last three episodes is here. You miss the point of that ending.
it's not just picking up one concept and then dropping it for the next.
That is exactly what it is and you regurgitating the events of the story don't disprove that. Any one of those elements were game changers on the level of something like Super Saiyan 1 and 2 and there are numerous ones in that arc. Gohan was clearly supposed to be the protagonist until it got changed around. It's clear in the story, and AT has stated that to be the case.
No but its the byproduct of the true criticism bad pacing.
You have that backwards, pacing isn't as important as not being boring. Pacing is a means to an end, not the end in itself.
I think you missed the point, the ending is not just about Goku's happiness, Uub is an important piece of the finale. You cannot ignore that Uub's inclusion is important especially seeing as he is a big part of Goku's happiness. Goku is setting forward to train with Uub and help grow him into a true warrior. You can't ignore him as a successor when the writing shows it. Remember the panel showing Uub reminds Goku of himself as a young kid on Nimbus? I sure do.

They were game-changers, and they served a purpose in the narrative. I wasn't trying to just recount what happened, I was trying to explain that they were never dropped but added onto one another growing the plot.

You misunderstand. My point is usually the claim something is boring is saying the product is poorly paced. Pacing usually determines whether or not something is boring. Something is not just boring without reason. My point is you don't just make something boring, you make something poorly paced and that's what makes it appear boring.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 09, 2021 5:37 pm

I'm not ignoring it. I said it's important, but it's important because what it means to GOKU - he has more mountains to climb. The show was not about Goku finding a successor because Goku doesn't care about that mantle. He's not a superhero. He's excited because Uub has all that latent power of the strongest being he ever faced but without the omnicidal tendencies.

I know what you meant. They weren't dropped but he threw out MULTIPLE game changers just to keep the plot going.
Pacing usually determines whether or not something is boring.
It's one single element out of many and if you want to talk about poor pacing, look no further than the Buu arc. It's simultaneously one of the most breakneck paced stories in DB. It keeps dropping and blowing past huge moments and turns in the story, but is also one of the most painfully drawn out LONGEST arcs in all of DB.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sun May 09, 2021 6:14 pm

ABED wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:37 pm I'm not ignoring it. I said it's important, but it's important because what it means to GOKU - he has more mountains to climb. The show was not about Goku finding a successor because Goku doesn't care about that mantle. He's not a superhero. He's excited because Uub has all that latent power of the strongest being he ever faced but without the omnicidal tendencies.

I know what you meant. They weren't dropped but he threw out MULTIPLE game changers just to keep the plot going.
Pacing usually determines whether or not something is boring.
It's one single element out of many and if you want to talk about poor pacing, look no further than the Buu arc. It's simultaneously one of the most breakneck paced stories in DB. It keeps dropping and blowing past huge moments and turns in the story, but is also one of the most painfully drawn out LONGEST arcs in all of DB.
Sure no Goku is not a superhero, not in the slightest. However, Uub does stand to be his truest disciple. It's his perfect student. He sees Uub as a future warrior who is going to essentially take his place. He is excited by Uub's potential, but he its not that he just wants to fight Uub, he wants to help mold him into his best fighter.

Sure absolutely but they at least still feel important to the narrative and not forced

I think the only real issue of the Buu saga would be its pacing, but I don't think the saga is truly as bad as many say. I still love it and think it offers a lot but the pacing is its weak spot. However, GT's pacing is probably worse. Granted it's a whole show versus an arc but that show is literally the size of the arc I think.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun May 09, 2021 7:39 pm

Marginally favor the Majin Bu Arc just purely from an entertaiment perspective, GT is just too boring across the board.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

TheFallenProfit

Post by TheFallenProfit » Thu May 13, 2021 11:27 am

GT hands down, the baby saga alone is better than the boo saga

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Mon May 17, 2021 11:45 pm

The Boo arc is, alongside the DKP story, my favorite part of all Dragon Ball. I feel like it walks the tightrope of action/tension/humor that was lost as the series became more and more serious. Referring only to the JPN version of the show, I also love the musical score from here. In general I just despise GT, but I do like its soundtrack on a musical level, yet I feel like it's not necessarily good Dragon Ball music. Dan Dan is such a great song, but it's just makes me incredibly sad. I feel like it's a great theme for a different franchise.

GrandpaFrieza123

Post by GrandpaFrieza123 » Sun May 23, 2021 4:55 am

Buu arc was kinda bad but it's God compared to GT, especially that Black Star Dragon Ball arc.
On his 18th birthday, Goku (Justin Chatwin) receives a mystical Dragonball as a gift from his grandfather. There are only six others like it in the whole world, and legend has it that whomever possesses all seven will be granted one perfect wish. When the arrival of a dark force triggers a tragedy, Goku and his companions (Chow Yun-Fat, Emmy Rossum) are propelled into an epic quest to collect the seven Dragonballs and save the Earth from destruction.

Brogeta

Post by Brogeta » Sun May 23, 2021 6:39 am

I'm going with GT. Yes the execution may have been bad but atleast they did something different with it's lore which I enjoyed. For one I found Baby to be more interesting than Buu. I loved the way it tied the saiyans as being this terrible race that valued destruction and how baby was created to stop them with the sad irony that the only way to do so was to become one of them.

I also liked the fact that dragonalls balls wasn't just used as quick reset button, that now there was a heavy price for constantly using them.
It made the stakes that much higher and actually made the risk of death seem permanent.

All in all the buu saga was too long for me, Buu was a one dimensional villain even by Dragonball standards. There were far too many fake out moments and the constant transformations stopped being interesting after awhile. Though one thing I liked was Mystic Gohan. He was a badass.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:16 am

I prefer Baby as a villain over Super Buu and Kid Buu. Baby had a lot more going for him. Now Fat Buu was a lot more fun and had creative use of his powers while causing mass destruction.

I would say I prefer the Buu arc over GT as a whole but Baby Arc is pretty entertaining.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:26 pm

The Buu arc is one of my favorites in the whole series, so I’ll have to go with that. Other than the Baby arc, GT just isn’t as good as anything from the original manga. The Super 17 and Evil Dragons arcs aren’t good and I consider the Black Star Dragon Balls as part of the Baby arc.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:13 pm

Buu Arc had Great Saiyaman. Buu Arc wins.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:46 pm

Jackalope89 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:13 pm Buu Arc had Great Saiyaman. Buu Arc wins.
Counterpoint, the Buu arc had the Great Saiyaman, the Buu arc loses.