Shunsuke Kikuchi has passed away

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Re: Shunsuke Kikuchi has passed away

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:37 pm

This is a sad death. A great musician who gave Dragon Ball an unique sound that still ring bells to this day. My favorite was "The Tragic Battle M-1525". Rest In Peace Mr.Kikuchi. Your talents was simply amazing.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:08 pm

Really puts into perspective Nozawa could pass away at any time. I actually believe she'll live well to 100 and beyond, but even so...it's weird knowing once you're 80+...technically any day could be your last.

Also isn't life expectancy in Japan longer than other countries? Explains how so many people there reach like 110-112 years old before dying.

Nosferatu93
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nosferatu93 » Sat May 01, 2021 7:24 am

They dont eat as much garbage.
Hellsing

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat May 01, 2021 7:55 am

Nosferatu93 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:24 am They dont eat as much garbage.
What's more they don't eat until they can't hold anymore. I've heard it's a common thing to only eat until 80% full or something like that, which reduces the amount of stress your digestive system will be put under and thus damage done to your body in turn making them live longer.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat May 01, 2021 9:08 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:03 pmBut yeah, we just lost one of the key people (alongside Toriyama and Nozawa) that helped make up the heart and soul of Dragon Ball. RIP to a phenomenal composer. :(
Don't forget about Kageyama. I know he's away from Toei productions (don't remember the reason though), but he's also someone that helped to build up the soul of Dragon Ball.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat May 01, 2021 2:55 pm

Noah wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:08 am Don't forget about Kageyama. I know he's away from Toei productions (don't remember the reason though), but he's also someone that helped to build up the soul of Dragon Ball.
He’s 60 but he’s doing fine in JAM Project. Also the reason is that he’s with Lantis now as opposed to Columbia Music Entertainment which Toei regularly does business with.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun May 09, 2021 11:04 am

Now that this has happened I feel like it's disrespectful to watch the anime with anything other than his score. I will never sit through the dub music or Kai's music ever again.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun May 09, 2021 11:55 am

precita wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:04 am Now that this has happened I feel like it's disrespectful to watch the anime with anything other than his score. I will never sit through the dub music or Kai's music ever again.
If they watch the original Dragon Ball they have to watch that portion with his music anyways

And if they watch Kai there is no legal option but his music for episode 53-98 and obviously no way to watch with his music for Final Chapters or GT or Super

If fans want to watch Z with Faulconer and Johnson let them. They’re wrong but it’s not disrespectful

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun May 09, 2021 12:07 pm

precita wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:04 am Now that this has happened I feel like it's disrespectful to watch the anime with anything other than his score. I will never sit through the dub music or Kai's music ever again.
Oh piss off, man. I don't like Faulconer's score much but there should be no other reason why one should not watch DBZ with that soundtrack.
It's been two weeks since Kikuchi's passing. People would have gotten over it by now.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 09, 2021 12:11 pm

Uuuuuuh...I was with you until that whole disrespectful second half of your post. You dont get to decide how someone mourns or copes with the death of someone. That said, Plenty of Faulconer fans are respectful and still paid respects to Kikuchi. That doesnt mean they disrespect Kikuchi by listening to the Faulconer soundtrack.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun May 09, 2021 1:17 pm

It is great loss. Thanks to this man, I was brought in to watch Dragon Ball not only for the artstyle, but also for the unique soundtrack that I love till this day.
I remember being pissed, when the international releases of games and Sparking!/Budokai Tenkaichi series in particular changed Kikuchi's iconic score for some synth rock hotch-potch.
Also remember being puzzled after GT went on after Z with completely different soundtrack and imagined for years how great would it be if Kikuchi continued to score the series.

Shunsuke Kikuchi is to Dragon Ball to me, like John Williams is to Star Wars or rather, Shirley Walker to Batman TAS.
He co-created the atmosphere of the show and made it unforgettable and it never came close after he was changed for other composers.

Always in my heart, without Shunsuke Kikuchi, I might've skipped the weird looking show airing on RTL II in favor of Digimon and others.
Last edited by MCDaveG on Sun May 09, 2021 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun May 09, 2021 1:19 pm

Yeah, as far as I'm concerned as long as everyone pays their respects to Kikuchi and acknowledge that his score is the original they can watch the show with whatever score they like.

Ideally the best way to watch anything from Pilaf to Buu is with Kikuchi's score, and I encourage anyone who hasn't heard the series that way to try it, but all we can do is encourage. If they have done that and still don't like Kikuchi then nothing's wrong with that as long as they put the person before his work.

No musician's work can be for everyone, but everyone's life matters. Thankfully I haven't seen a single Faulconer fan deny the value of Kikuchi's life in favour of their favourite score yet, that's all any of us can ask for.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun May 09, 2021 1:34 pm

It's sad that he's gone, but at least he made it to 89 which many don't.

I loved his music in early Dragon Ball, particularly the King Piccolo stuff. His music from the Z movies was also great, with the Movie 7 Spirit Bomb theme being one of my favourites.
I really don't understand the logic behind this. It's like saying watching the anime will be disrespectful to Toriyama after his death, because he disagreed with some of the creative liberties Toei took. Let people enjoy what they enjoy.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun May 09, 2021 2:43 pm

Y'all got precita'd.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 09, 2021 3:37 pm

I dont know what that even means but I think I agree.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue May 11, 2021 7:49 am

In an alternate dimension Dragon Ball would have had only his score from beginning to end with no replacements coming in at any point.
Of course, that would have to be the dimension where Toei isn’t as bad as we know them to be.

That said, he has numerous other series that he scored which didn’t ever get any such replacements, even in 70’s series that got remade abroad. You can try those as well.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:01 am

Bummer, I may not have been the biggest fan of his score, but regardless he touched generations of DBZ fans and nothing can take that away from him.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:48 pm

Wow, I really have been out of the loop lately, as I'm just now learning this. To me, his score across Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z is legendary, my favorite probably being his King Piccolo theme. Imho his work is to Dragon Ball what John Williams is to Star Wars (and this is coming from someone who is nostalgic for the Faulconer score and even still likes some of it). Rest in Power, Kikuchi.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Re: Composer Shunsuke Kikuchi has passed away

Post by Majin Man 101 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:39 am

The gr wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:54 am https://twitter.com/oricon/status/1387271876175536128

A sad news this is, his soundtrack wills always be legendary to me and many others, rest in peace.
Kikuchi defined Dragon Ball. What a LEGEND. Everyone else lives in his shadow and nobody has even come close since he left the franchise after Dragon Ball Z.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:05 am

This probably already have been discussed her in a few other threads, but I always had the impression Kikuchi loved composing themes like the ones he did for Piccolo, there are too many like these and I love them all.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?