Shunsuke Kikuchi has passed away

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Composer Shunsuke Kikuchi has passed away

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:11 am

may the KING rest in peace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6qSlZNnuAM (m512)
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Composer Shunsuke Kikuchi has passed away

Post by kenisu3000 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:23 am

I knew it was going to happen sooner likelier than later, given his age, but it still caught me off guard. :(
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Shunsuke Kikuchi has passed away

Post by KBABZ » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:44 am

Kanzenshuu news item. First place I've seen to actually mention the cause of death.

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/2021/04/28/c ... sses-away/

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:54 am

R.I.P to my favorite Dragon Ball composer. Man leaves a legacy that goes far beyond the world of Dragon Ball. Composing music for culture icons like Doraeman and Kamen Rider and Gamera. Anyone who has a Shudder account and hasn’t already done so I highly recommend checking out Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion. Not only is it visually an engaging watch Kikuchi’s score is quite good.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:06 am

Thanks for all your incredible work, we all will miss you :cry:.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Dragon Sponge
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon Sponge » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:10 am

Knowing how old he was, i was always happy to see that he was still alive every time i saw his wikipedia Article but sadley now it has got him too :(

For me his Soundtrack was Dragon Ball, it had a very distinct vibe and so many memorable Pieces and Themes, which stayed in my mind since i was a small Child. It was very sad to learn this today, but i´m glad that he got to live as long as he did, and he will be remembered for his incredible work on Dragon Ball which gave live to the Franchise in a way, that none of the other composers did in my Opinion.

My Consolence to his Family and Friends and may he rest is Piece...

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:29 am

Oh wow... RIP...

I haven't posted here in a while but when I saw a friend talking as if Kikuchi had passed I had to confirm it here... and wow does this not feel good...

I'm glad he at least lived to such an old age. This is nowhere near as heartbreaking as Daisuke Gouri or Hiromi Tsuru... If folks have to go, I'm always happy to know they lived long happy lives beforehand... but this still really hurts...
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:52 am

It's truly devastating, but I am glad to have become a huge fan over the last few years having finally checking out Dragon Ball in Japanese, and 89? At least he had a long and happy life up to that age never short of acknowledgements for the incredible work he did, especially for Dragon Ball.

The John Williams of Japan, he will be missed, but never forgotten.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:58 am

Just when I finally began to fully appreciate his work for DB and anything else he’s done.... I feel so bad about it now since I could and should have done so much sooner.
He was the true representative BGM composer for DB as a whole, RIP

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:34 am

I loved his music from the first note I heard of it, so much so that I actually bought CDs of it. I'm glad that he at least lived a long life...may he rest in peace.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:45 pm

RIP to one of Japan's all time great composers. Your work and legacy will never be forgotten.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:05 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:44 am Kanzenshuu news item. First place I've seen to actually mention the cause of death.
It was mentioned in the oricon article linked in the OP.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:18 pm

I knew this would happen in the near future, but I shed tears when I first saw this news on my phone. Requiescat in pace, legenda.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:37 pm

I hate to think about it, but Masako Nozawa is almost 85. I shed a tear and payed my respects to Kikuchi. I am going to cry my heart out when she goes.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:38 pm

RIP Maestro Kikuchi.

Your unique style of music defined Dragon Ball's anime adaptions for many people; and for me personally, the anime productions from GT onward never felt the same without your involvement.

Does anyone know if he continued making music in any capacity after he retired?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:43 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:37 pm I hate to think about it, but Masako Nozawa is almost 85. I shed a tear and payed my respects to Kikuchi. I am going to cry my heart out when she goes.
She is undoubtedly going to be the most devastating loss of all, and sure we've lost quite a few of the series' big name seiyuu over the last number of years including Hiromi Tsuru, Hirotaka Suzuoki, Takeshi Aono, Daisuke Gori and others but even they pale compared to the difficulty that her passing will bring given how long she's been with the franchise in total and her 50 plus some odd years voicing countless characters as well.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

McDonaldsGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by McDonaldsGuy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:44 pm

RIP.

He had some great scores. I love his fight theme, and the "Genki-dama" theme. Also, that music when Goku does his "I am SSJ Goku!" speech. Amazing.

Thanks for helping make DBZ that much better.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:53 pm

89 is a good long life. Glad he was able to live that long.

Rest in peace to the legendary Shunsuke Kikuchi. His soundtrack for Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z was memorable, fitting, and fun. It made the experience of watching the series all the more entertaining.

Thoughts go out to his family, friends, and everyone who enjoyed this music.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:11 pm

Rest in peace, king.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:17 pm

It's sad to think within the next 10+ years, like by 2030 or so, most of the original Dragon Ball VA's and staff might pass away.