Specifically for those who prefer the Funi 'Orange Bricks' dub over JPN and Funi Kai, what are your reasons?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Specifically for those who prefer the Funi 'Orange Bricks' dub over JPN and Funi Kai, what are your reasons?

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:17 pm

Essentially I'd like to know what are your reasonings for preferring the Orange Bricks Funimation dub over Funi Kai and also JPN. For the select few that do.
We the ones

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Re: Specifically for those who prefer the Funi 'Orange Bricks' dub over JPN and Funi Kai, what are your reasons?

Post by jamiljamtheman » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:06 pm

I am not one of those people, but I’ve heard this about people who don’t like the original Japan audio:
- Some people don’t concentrate as well, while reading subtitles.
- this is probably tied to nostalgia, but the Japanese voice cast is so different that they may shy away. Think of how different Nozawa and Schemmel sound.

I find it harder to understand why anyone would prefer og Z over Kai, since I watched the Saiyan saga in both dubs. But the scripts *are* very different. While I may consider lines like “Looks like he’s been … disARMED!” bad dialogue, maybe some people prefer that dialogue over Kai’s mildly less cheesy fare?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Specifically for those who prefer the Funi 'Orange Bricks' dub over JPN and Funi Kai, what are your reasons?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:13 pm

Mostly just because I'm too attached to the dub cast to switch to Japanese. Nothing against them at all, they're all insanely talented.
As for Kai, it's the music. And I legit like the filler, minus some stuff on Namek. know this is blasphemy around these parts but I genuinely love the dub score. I love Kikuchi too, and for DB, all of the movies (minus Fusion Reborn) and Z up to 68 I watch with Kikuchi no problem. But when ep68 comes around I can't help but switch to dub track. Also I can tolerate the stupid lines (most of them), put the subtitles to see whats different and just enjoy it for what it is. Plus I have the entire manga if I really wanted to get the true lines, but even Viz has some weird changes.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:50 am

Not a fan of the Orange Bricks because they actually changed some of Faulconer's music from the original dub and re-recorded some of the dialogue, I prefer the original singles myself as they have the correct aspect ratio and music placement. I too am too attached to the original dub to get much out of the original version, and that's not to knock the original cast, they do a good job, they just aren't who I primarily associate the characters with because I didn't grow up with that version. But who knows? Maybe if i'd grown up under similar circumstances to Mike and other older DBZ fans I might have different preferences.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku