It’s literally such a SHAME how LAME and WASTED Videl became.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: It’s literally such a SHAME how LAME and WASTED Videl became.

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:43 am

There is no reason the Majin Buu arc needs to leave her behind, either.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:57 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:45 am
super michael wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:00 am
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:00 pm Let's have her defeat Spopovitch. And be the second main character along with Gohan. Focus the story on Gohan and Videl. Actually have a story you want to tell, not whatever mess the Majin Buu arc turned into.
Videl only had flying for ki control, she didn't have super strength or ki attack like Masenko. There was no way Videl could win against Spopovich.

Videl in my opinion is too weak to be a main character. Plus Videl isn't a Saiyan like Pan.
Then make her not 'too weak'. It's fiction, you can do whatever you want. Justify it in-story however you like, too. Make Videl's mom an actual devil or something if you want to justify her being strong.

There's zero reason Gohan can't train Videl and her grasp on ki control flourishes rapidly. Her dad's comically inept and she's comically strong.
But it wouldn't make sense for Videl to get so strong all of a sudden. I mean look at how many people complained about Roshi's participation in the ToP. It would be worse if they did something similar with Videl.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:00 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:57 am
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:45 am
super michael wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:00 am

Videl only had flying for ki control, she didn't have super strength or ki attack like Masenko. There was no way Videl could win against Spopovich.

Videl in my opinion is too weak to be a main character. Plus Videl isn't a Saiyan like Pan.
Then make her not 'too weak'. It's fiction, you can do whatever you want. Justify it in-story however you like, too. Make Videl's mom an actual devil or something if you want to justify her being strong.

There's zero reason Gohan can't train Videl and her grasp on ki control flourishes rapidly. Her dad's comically inept and she's comically strong.
But it wouldn't make sense for Videl to get so strong all of a sudden. I mean look at how many people complained about Roshi's participation in the ToP. It would be worse if they did something similar with Videl.
1. Fuck them, then.

2. Introduce Videl as someone that Gohan met a week after the Cell Game and she's forced him to train her everyday since then. Also, being that she actually likes martial arts...she's more effective at ki control than Gohan! Boom, explanation right there.
She/Her
bisexual milf

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:37 pm

It isn't possible to change what was written in the past, just like what DBS was written in the past can't get changed. The manga now can have Videl training in secret and that wouldn't contradict anything.

There is no statement in the manga that Videl quit training or in the movie for that matter.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:50 pm

super michael wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:37 pm It isn't possible to change what was written in the past, just like what DBS was written in the past can't get changed. The manga now can have Videl training in secret and that wouldn't contradict anything.

There is no statement in the manga that Videl quit training or in the movie for that matter.
Nobody's suggested dusting off the DeLorean to change the past. The point is to highlight how bullshit the people who made the series are.
She/Her
bisexual milf

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:15 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:50 pm
super michael wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:37 pm It isn't possible to change what was written in the past, just like what DBS was written in the past can't get changed. The manga now can have Videl training in secret and that wouldn't contradict anything.

Nobody's suggested dusting off the DeLorean to change the past. The point is to highlight how bullshit the people who made the series are.
In DBZ Videl was written to be a normal human who has no knowledge of ki. Then by meeting Gohan she saw many thing she wasn't aware was possible and learned to control her ki and mastered the ability to fly. Videl thought she was one of the best fighters, but she wasn't aware how weak she was compared to the strong fighters.

I don't see that as bad writing there. What I see bad is we don't see any progress or gain she made after the Buu Saga. Were is the Videl that was hungry to learn about ki usage and wanted to train. Were is that determination to surpass her limits.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:22 pm

super michael wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:15 pm

In DBZ Videl was written to be a normal human who has no knowledge of ki. Then by meeting Gohan she saw many thing she wasn't aware was possible and learned to control her ki and mastered the ability to fly. Videl thought she was one of the best fighters, but she wasn't aware how weak she was compared to the strong fighters.

I don't see that as bad writing there. What I see bad is we don't see any progress or gain she made after the Buu Saga. Were is the Videl that was hungry to learn about ki usage and wanted to train. Were is that determination to surpass her limits.
Dumping her into the girlfriend role and having her not fight after being brutally slaughtered in her one fight while contributing nothing else to the plot is in fact bad writing and not something I care for, speaking as a woman and an adult who has to be weary of the morals of the media that the minors under my supervision consume, most especially considering the hateful and regressive rhetoric that their other family members believe.
She/Her
bisexual milf

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:35 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:22 pm

Dumping her into the girlfriend role and having her not fight after being brutally slaughtered in her one fight while contributing nothing else to the plot is in fact bad writing and not something I care for, speaking as a woman and an adult who has to be weary of the morals of the media that the minors under my supervision consume, most especially considering the hateful and regressive rhetoric that their other family members believe.
I don't believe her getting brutally beaten up is the reason why Videl quit being a fighter. She didn't show any signs of having PTSD unlike Krillin in the anime. I agree with you it was terrible writing that she quit training, fighting and lost her hunger to improve in skills and didn't become a super hero. Great Saiyanwoman and Great Saiyanman both fighting crimes to protect their city.
Then when Pan is born I guess a Trio team of super heroes.

Her getting a boyfriend isn't the problem, however her losing interest in the things she likes due to getting married that is bad writing.

Edit in real life people trains and do martial arts because it is good for their health.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:38 pm

super michael wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:35 pm

I don't believe her getting brutally beaten up is the reason why Videl quit being a fighter. She didn't show any signs of having PTSD unlike Krillin in the anime. I agree with you it was terrible writing that she quit training, fighting and lost her hunger to improve in skills and didn't become a super hero. Great Saiyanwoman and Great Saiyanman both fighting crimes to protect their city.

Her getting a boyfriend isn't the problem, however her losing interest in the things she likes due to getting married that is bad writing.

Edit in real life people trains and do martial arts because it is good for their health.
She stopped fighting because of the real human beings who create this series. In-universe explanations are irrelevant.
She/Her
bisexual milf

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:48 pm

Human characters had no value in DBZ by the Buu saga, much less ordinary teenagers - unless they provided slapstick like Mr. Satan. Every last trace of Gohan's high school shit was abandoned as soon as they ditched the tournament.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:58 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:38 pm
super michael wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:35 pm

She stopped fighting because of the real human beings who create this series. In-universe explanations are irrelevant.
The Z fighters were brutally beaten up and some even died in battles, but none of them quit fighting for that reason at all. As for Krillin quiting due to being beaten up in the past, that was just Toei writing.

There is nothing different from Videl that hasn't happened to the Z fighters.

The problem isn't how DBZ wrote Videl but the problem is DBS both anime and manga how they wrote Videl.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:49 pm

I barely even notice her presence even when she's on screen in DBS. That tomboyish girl with a fighting spirit we saw in DBZ is long gone unfortunately. She's just background decoration along with a host of other characters like Ox King, Oolong, Puar, Turtle, etc.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Slangh
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Slangh » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:25 pm

Part of what gave Videl her drive was knowing in her heart that the truth was being kept from her. That gave her an edge, an obsession, which created a fun dynamic with Gohan who desperately wanted to keep a mask on for the public. When Gohan finally confessed being the Great Saiyaman and the Golden Fighter, as well as defeating Cell, Videl finally got the answers she had longed for. Now she knew the truth about her father, a massive factor in her life, since she's always referred to as 'the daughter of...'. She was very thankful and happy towards Gohan for telling her the truth and she also seemed to realize his real power. With all those puzzle pieces in place, maybe her drive to be martial artist waned. Since the 'martial arts' of her father were fake, she no longer wanted to follow in those footsteps. At least not with the media circus around. Hell, she even decided to play along with the Great Lie that is Mr. Satan and his involvement in the Cell Games. So we no longer got to see that reckless, obsessive side of her. She had to choose. Exposing the truth about her father and Gohan or upholding the lie while marrying into Gohan's family and protecting her own. That must have taken some of her edge off. She chose to love her family above all. And just like Gohan chose to abandon martial arts for his career, Videl chose to pursue a life as a housewife.

It would have been great if VIdel had continued working for the police. Not just for her raw power but also because of her stubbornness and investigative skills, which could come in handy in any conflict. If there would have been one scene of her training or investigating some mystery, it would have made all the difference.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:26 am

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:20 pmBut you can have her strong enough to, at least, be competitive. Earthlings improved mostly when training with certain masters (Roshi, Kami, Kaio), not so much by having been training for a long time, they have been stagnant for a long time now.
So I think it could be possible for a quick power up to happen after training with Popo, Piccolo and Gohan, then have Dende unlock her hidden potential, like Saichoro did with Krilin, on top of that add that she trains with fucking Ultimate Gohan... and if that's not enough, pretend she actually is a prodigy and while still being fodder, she can contend with the likes of Krilin and Tenshinhan. Obviously she stomps Yamcha.
See that is what I was worried about. Would've been the absolute worst case scenario for me seeing someone else 'contending with the likes of Krillin and Tenshinhan' and 'obviously stomping Yamcha'. I have a bias as I really like those characters and would like to see more of them anyway, but I'm so glad that didn't happen.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:57 am

Forcing the narrative to bend over backwards to justify making Videl important to the plot is not good writing. The characters you mentioned got stronger by training with masters but they did so over the course of years, not one arc.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:09 am

ABED wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:57 am Forcing the narrative to bend over backwards to justify making Videl important to the plot is not good writing. The characters you mentioned got stronger by training with masters but they did so over the course of years, not one arc.
Exactly Goku, Gohan, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Goten, Trunks, Krillin, Yamcha, Chiaotzu, Tien, Yajoribe and Chi Chi all had years to train as Super Human.

Videl she only trained like a normal human, one month learning to fly shouldn't give a huge boost in power.

Although Videl no longer fighting and training seems bad.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:30 am

ABED wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:57 am Forcing the narrative to bend over backwards to justify making Videl important to the plot is not good writing. The characters you mentioned got stronger by training with masters but they did so over the course of years, not one arc.
Their greatest gains weren't over time, they were when they trained with new masters. Roshi, Kami, Kaio, Saichoro unlocking their potential, they all boosted their power more than what happened in the meantime between those masters, and they had several breaks between them, and after that, they stagnated when they no longer shared the trainings of the main cast. Those things happened every couple of years for them, who says that can't happen altogether during the course of a few years? or in a few days in the ROSAT, its gravity is similar to the one at Kaio's planet and we've seen earthlings get used to that.
An accelerated training bootcamp -with all the available resources- should produce another strong earthling, they are not genetically superior to the rest of mankind, anybody with the proper training should be able to learn what they know and do. Videl learned to fly after a few weeks.

And I never said it would be to make her important to the plot, she's an earthling after all, but could've been added to the low level fights the earthling took part in DBS.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:25 pm

You know, maybe Videl just doesn't have as much potential as initially believed? She was a girl with an interest for martial arts but that doesn't automatically make her an incredible fighter or even an average one among the ranks of the team. Videl lacks certain, inherent advantages that the others may have had or obtained that allowed them to grow exponentially in short amounts of time. It's not a process that is easily replicated for just anyone & everyone. There are limits sometimes, even in DB.
It would be a huge burden for Videl to even attain the PLs of the team from the DB-era when she's just trying to be a wife & parent nowadays. She's got a husband with planet busting power and is even friends with literal Gods & Angels so her own power & safety isn't an issue.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Kefla
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kefla » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:17 pm

Gohan would’ve went beyond UI Goku if she got hurt.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:23 pm

Toriyama bends over backwards to do whatever he feels like or whatever some Shueisha shill shit wants him to do. Just applying the same to Videl (and Chi-Chi) is just...not the mind-blowing act y'all want to make it into.

Also, Videl really should have been introduced as Gohan's friend that he met and started training a week after the Cell Game.
She/Her
bisexual milf