It’s literally such a SHAME how LAME and WASTED Videl became.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: It’s literally such a SHAME how LAME and WASTED Videl became.

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:55 pm

Did... did you just seriously say Spopovich humbled Videl? You know that implies she was a woman who dared step off her place and that she got what she had coming? Because that's what the term means. Please either use another term if you didnt mean that or if you did stop being awful.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:15 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:55 pm Did... did you just seriously say Spopovich humbled Videl? You know that implies she was a woman who dared step off her place and that she got what she had coming? Because that's what the term means. Please either use another term if you didnt mean that or if you did stop being awful.
Way to shovel some loaded words in his mouth. She got humbled no worse than Vegeta did for all of the dumbass shit he did :lol:

She was the daughter of a guy who lied himself to the top of the food chain, got arrogant as a result, and then realized that her and her father are actually insignificant ants.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:19 am

I know it is and that I am being really unfair. But he should know how loaded that term is when referring to women.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:27 am

No, Cure Dragon 255 is right. It does imply exactly what he said. Spopovich's beating of Videl represents much more than simply "humbling" her.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:45 am

Lord have mercy can y'all stop trying to move the Goal Post?! My point is that she isn't the same woman post Boo arc as she was during it.

I'd hardly put humility on the same level as something like "Mysoginy" but I think it applies pretty well to her situation, I mean she was no mass murderer like Vegeta but this girl was RUNNING into armed robberies bare handed against dudes with machine guns and because she came out on top more often than not and because of her fathers false reputation, she clearly had a chip on her shoulder thinking she was hot shit until she met her half alien classmate and the muscle man possessed by a roach wizard.
jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:15 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:55 pm Did... did you just seriously say Spopovich humbled Videl? You know that implies she was a woman who dared step off her place and that she got what she had coming? Because that's what the term means. Please either use another term if you didnt mean that or if you did stop being awful.
Way to shovel some loaded words in his mouth. She got humbled no worse than Vegeta did for all of the dumbass shit he did :lol:

She was the daughter of a guy who lied himself to the top of the food chain, got arrogant as a result, and then realized that her and her father are actually insignificant ants.
THANK YOU!
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:35 am

goku the krump dancer wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:45 am Lord have mercy can y'all stop trying to move the Goal Post?! My point is that she isn't the same woman post Boo arc as she was during it.

I'd hardly put humility on the same level as something like "Mysoginy" but I think it applies pretty well to her situation, I mean she was no mass murderer like Vegeta but this girl was RUNNING into armed robberies bare handed against dudes with machine guns and because she came out on top more often than not and because of her fathers false reputation, she clearly had a chip on her shoulder thinking she was hot shit until she met her half alien classmate and the muscle man possessed by a roach wizard.
jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:15 am

THANK YOU!
In early Dragon Ball, martial artists were shown to be either immune to gunshots, or could easily catch them, i doubt Videl was weaker than pre 21th Budokai Goku or Bora.

Not sure if i would call Videl arrogant, she seriously trained for tournament, and said her father got lazy and actually want someone to beat some sense into him.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:09 am

But Videl did dare to step off her place, in the sense that she was a weakling fighting a juggernaut enhanced by an evil wizard to awaken Majin Buu. Even after Goku and Gohan advised her to back off, she kept going, she literally DARED TO STEP OFF HER PLACE even if she didn't know it. Just like her father stepped off his place against Cell and got what he had coming.

It's not a matter of gender, it's a matter of a weak ass race tangling with actual threats out of their league.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:30 am

coola wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:35 am In early Dragon Ball, martial artists were shown to be either immune to gunshots, or could easily catch them, i doubt Videl was weaker than pre 21th Budokai Goku or Bora.
Sure she was weaker than pre-21Tenkaichi Goku. He started as massively superhuman even compared to most martial artists.
Before learning Ki, she might have been at best about as strong as Bandit Yamcha.

The whole thread comes out as a "We have a lot of strong independent women who do not need no men, but they are not the one I want, so they do not count."

Videl works perfectly as foil to Nagging Chichi, Seducer Bulma and Mercenary #18 by being... a perfectly normal, well-adjusted wife and mother, happy with her life and her family.
Which is basically unheard of, in DB.

Not to say I wouldn't like to see more of her: I feel she should be more involved whenever Gohan has to fight, if only by showing her reactions to it.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:33 am

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:09 am But Videl did dare to step off her place, in the sense that she was a weakling fighting a juggernaut enhanced by an evil wizard to awaken Majin Buu. Even after Goku and Gohan advised her to back off, she kept going, she literally DARED TO STEP OFF HER PLACE even if she didn't know it. Just like her father stepped off his place against Cell and got what he had coming.

It's not a matter of gender, it's a matter of a weak ass race tangling with actual threats out of their league.
Nothing is written in a vacuum. Toriyama specifically chose to use Videl for this role. If he has a kink for violence against woman I won't shame him for it but contextually it makes no sense to suddenly switch to this hyper-violent slaughter of a young girl character introduced as the 'lead' character's new deurtagonist in a magazine aimed at young, still-developing children (mostly 'boys') from a company run exclusively by what are most likely cishet-passing men. This being a company that exclusively does not consult the voice of women and minorities in its depictions of them even today.

A man writing and drawing a fight like that is entirely different from a woman writing and drawing a fight like that because woman actually do undergo physical and emotional abuse like that from men.

Anyway, gimme Indiana Jones Videl and Gohan going on adventures and then playing house couple on the side to break up the action.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:15 am

So Gohan a kid being beaten close to death by Reccoom in a life or death battle is ok, but Videl the teenager who was beaten really bad is wrong.

Why does it matter if it is a male or female that gets beaten up, if they choose to fight then that isn’t forced.

Gohan didn’t have the choice to back down, if he did he would get killed, so his only option was fight for survival. Gohan almost died in that battle.

Videl on the other hand she had the option to give up the fight whenever she wanted, but she chose to fight. She was beaten up really bad but not to the point of almost dying.

Edit i like the idea of Videl and Gohan going on adventure. I can just imagine exploring places together on exciting places.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:22 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:33 am
Koitsukai wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:09 am But Videl did dare to step off her place, in the sense that she was a weakling fighting a juggernaut enhanced by an evil wizard to awaken Majin Buu. Even after Goku and Gohan advised her to back off, she kept going, she literally DARED TO STEP OFF HER PLACE even if she didn't know it. Just like her father stepped off his place against Cell and got what he had coming.

Nothing is written in a vacuum. Toriyama specifically chose to use Videl for this role. If he has a kink for violence against woman I won't shame him for it but contextually it makes no sense to suddenly switch to this hyper-violent slaughter of a young girl character introduced as the 'lead' character's new deurtagonist in a magazine aimed at young, still-developing children (mostly 'boys') from a company run exclusively by what are most likely cishet-passing men. This being a company that exclusively does not consult the voice of women and minorities in its depictions of them even today.

A man writing and drawing a fight like that is entirely different from a woman writing and drawing a fight like that because woman actually do undergo physical and emotional abuse like that from men.

Anyway, gimme Indiana Jones Videl and Gohan going on adventures and then playing house couple on the side to break up the action.
I won't argue with that because I agree with it and it was too gruesome, but that wasn't my point.
Somebody implied it was misogynist to point out that Videl was out of her depth because she's a girl, but it has nothing to do with Videl being a girl, it has to do with her being a regular human.
Her father wasn't a girl and he still got what he had coming for playing with the big wolves he had no business playing with.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:25 am

super michael wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:15 am So Gohan a kid being beaten close to death by Reccoom in a life or death battle is ok, but Videl the teenage who was beaten really bad is wrong.

Why does it matter if it is a male or female that gets beaten up, if they choose to fight then that isn’t forced.

Gohan didn’t have the choice to back down, if he did he would get killed, so his only option was fight for survival. Gohan almost died in that battle.

Videl on the other hand she had the option to give up the fight whenever she wanted, but she chose to fight. She was beaten up really bad but not to the point of almost dying.
I actually don't think showing a kid getting his neck broken is appropriate for a kids comic. If I'm writing a story for adults, then sure, I'd probably do something like that without batting too many eyes, but that's a separate conversation.

Anyway, vacuums: we do not live in them. Cis men systemically control the lives of women, so the manner in which women are portrayed in mainstream media is important because media influences norms and mores.

Signed,
A bisexual trans woman who grew up fearing herself because of how normalized portraying trans women as ugly, serial killing psychopathic 'men in dresses'
Last edited by JulieYBM on Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
She/Her
bisexual milf

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:27 am

Goku and Vegeta got super tortured by Piccolo and Frieza respectively, five-year old Gohan got his neck snapped and had a viscerally realistic reaction to it, and Vegeta got his spinal cord turned into a churro in a San Antonio woman's hands by Cell; you can't tell me Videl's beatdown was worse than those.
Last edited by jjgp1112 on Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:28 am

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:22 am
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:33 am

Nothing is written in a vacuum. Toriyama specifically chose to use Videl for this role. If he has a kink for violence against woman I won't shame him for it but contextually it makes no sense to suddenly switch to this hyper-violent slaughter of a young girl character introduced as the 'lead' character's new deurtagonist in a magazine aimed at young, still-developing children mostly 'boys') from a company run exclusively by what are most likely cishet-passing men. This being a company that exclusively does not consult the voice of women and minorities in its depictions of them even today.

I won't argue with that because I agree with it and it was too gruesome, but that wasn't my point.
Somebody implied it was misogynist to point out that Videl was out of her depth because she's a girl, but it has nothing to do with Videl being a girl, it has to do with her being a regular human.
Her father wasn't a girl and he still got what he had coming for playing with the big wolves he had no business playing with.
Mr. Satan is a gag character in a gag scene. Videl's scene wasn't a gag-scene. Furthermore, again, you're trying to justify a real world choice with the inconsistent logic of a fictional world. That ignores the entire point of contention.
She/Her
bisexual milf

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:35 pm

Videl got beaten to show Babidi's emissaries were utter bastards, by having them beat down the weakest of the characters

It wasn't because she was a woman, but because she was weak.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:23 pm

ankokudaishogun wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:35 pm Videl got beaten to show Babidi's emissaries were utter bastards, by having them beat down the weakest of the characters

It wasn't because she was a woman, but because she was weak.
Why is the female deurtagonist of the story in a comic aimed at 'boys', produced, edited and published solely by men being deigned 'weak', needing to be violently and starkly realistically beaten within an inch of her life by a man with no real scratches on his body or psyche when that role could be fulfilled by a man like nearly every other role in the series is?

I'm not against women being a part of violent scenes in fiction but We. Must. Consider. The. Context. Of. Production. And. Publication.

Toriyama likes to write about the victimization of women in large part because he doesn't even consider them real people. Just look at how he speaks of writing women his interviews. He acts lile he's never spoken to a woman before and that's despite being married of all things.
She/Her
bisexual milf

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:30 pm

ankokudaishogun wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:30 am Sure she was weaker than pre-21Tenkaichi Goku. He started as massively superhuman even compared to most martial artists.
Before learning Ki, she might have been at best about as strong as Bandit Yamcha.
Sounds about right. If an ordinary farmer is a 5 and Goku is a 10, I'd put Satan a peak human at a 6/7 and Yamcha at an 8. I don't think she's any weaker than Yamcha. Learning Ki probably boosted her up a lot as Bukujutsu is not an easy technique to learn. I think she would have been competitive in the 21st Budokai, better than Yamcha ... maybe even Krillin ... though not likely. So 4th strongest in the 21st TB era.

If she kept training, she'd be a beast. Her potential might even be higher than the other Earthlings.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:21 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:27 am Goku and Vegeta got super tortured by Piccolo and Frieza respectively, five-year old Gohan got his neck snapped and had a viscerally realistic reaction to it, and Vegeta got his spinal cord turned into a churro in a San Antonio woman's hands by Cell; you can't tell me Videl's beatdown was worse than those.
Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan are men. Videl is a woman.

It's not about who's beatdown was worse. It's about what it means to have a female character brutally beaten by a male character and then become "humbled" into quitting fighting, losing a good chunk of personality, and eventually becoming a housewife.

It's very much an issue of gender as much as it is anything else, if not more.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:34 pm

As a human introduced in the BUU SAGA there was literally zero chance she'd be a relevant fighter :lol:

But I do really hate just how boring she became, like damn showing a couple scenes of her at least hitting a punching bag to stay sharp or sparing with Pan would go a long way.

Honestly Toei's depiction of Videl becoming the Great Saiyaman 2 in Wrath of the Dragon was a great continuation of her character.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:27 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:21 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:27 am Goku and Vegeta got super tortured by Piccolo and Frieza respectively, five-year old Gohan got his neck snapped and had a viscerally realistic reaction to it, and Vegeta got his spinal cord turned into a churro in a San Antonio woman's hands by Cell; you can't tell me Videl's beatdown was worse than those.
Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan are men. Videl is a woman.

It's not about who's beatdown was worse. It's about what it means to have a female character brutally beaten by a male character and then become "humbled" into quitting fighting, losing a good chunk of personality, and eventually becoming a housewife.

It's very much an issue of gender as much as it is anything else, if not more.
It's absolutely whose beatdown was worse. would it have mattered had it been a female character who did it to her? Her entire personality prior to the tournament was her being suspicious of Gohan and kinda angry at him but the second they admit feelings, why would she continue to act that way? What personality did she lose?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.