Who Do You Like BETTER: Goku OR Vegeta?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Re: Who Do You Like BETTER: Goku OR Vegeta?

Post by kemuri07 » Tue May 04, 2021 12:57 pm

Hmmm kinda a hard one. Granted I'd probably go with Vegeta, but specifically the saiyan saga version. I just loved how unpredictable, ruthless, and scary he was.

Unfortuntely the later arcs really focused on his oversized ego, and it made his need to surpass Goku kind of one note.

PanSimpson
Banned

Post by PanSimpson » Tue May 04, 2021 4:53 pm

I'm going now say I prefer Vegeta overall just because I don't like all the disrespect Vegeta is getting in this thread, ESPECIALLY Z Vegeta.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue May 04, 2021 5:15 pm

PanSimpson wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:53 pm I'm going now say I prefer Vegeta overall just because I don't like all the disrespect Vegeta is getting in this thread, ESPECIALLY Z Vegeta.
Opinions seem pretty divided and nobody is really showing a strong distaste for Vegeta at all.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue May 04, 2021 5:25 pm

For me it's Vegeta. I loved him on Namek and I appreciate the character development he went through in later Z. (There's a bit of an awkward middle phase in the Cell arc, except for the end, that I'm not as ecstatic about.) I've also enjoyed his characterisation in Super way more than I have Goku's, for what that's worth, though Super as a whole is a step down from the original series. And Vegebul is a fun pairing to see both in official material and fan-made stuff.

to Nosferatu93: please just ignore (or mute) the posters that continually write embarrassing/inappropriate/weird stuff, the forum as a whole isn't like that I swear
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sun May 16, 2021 9:12 am

Both pretty much stand out as characters, but they also end up running out of things to say in the more modern, expansive stuff. Not GT though. Maybe it's just because I tend to lean towards the hero than the villain, I always leaned towards Goku. hahaha

Brogeta

Post by Brogeta » Sun May 16, 2021 2:15 pm

I'm going to go with Vegeta. I don't like DBS Goku. In some ways his character seems like a genius and idiot all in one. I mean when he is in combat he is cool, but as man with sons who says he doesn't know anything about kissing, it's not cute but rather weird and disturbing.

Vegeta clearly is the brains of the two and thats a shame.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sun May 16, 2021 3:59 pm

Original manga and DBZ/DBGT - Goku. But I like Vegeta very much, especially his Boo Arc version.

DBS - can't really decide, Goku is super stupid (and sometimes Toyotarou draws him like he was even bigger retard) and to me Vegeta's presence feels forced, so... I guess I don't like them, their Super versions. I just tolerate them, which is sad, because I'm very attached to Dragon Ball franchise as a whole.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Brogeta

Post by Brogeta » Mon May 17, 2021 4:37 am

Trouser wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:59 pm Original manga and DBZ/DBGT - Goku. But I like Vegeta very much, especially his Boo Arc version.

DBS - can't really decide, Goku is super stupid (and sometimes Toyotarou draws him like he was even bigger retard) and to me Vegeta's presence feels forced, so... I guess I don't like them, their Super versions. I just tolerate them, which is sad, because I'm very attached to Dragon Ball franchise as a whole.
Oh thank goodness. I thought it was just me because it seemed like Goku regressed as a character. I get they wanted to be the same fun lovable doofus we all know but I think they went overboard with it. I mean even in Z we have moments where Goku is a lovable goofy character but he's not a borderline idiot.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon May 17, 2021 5:11 am

Personally, I feel like most of Goku's dumb moments in DBS were poorly executed gags
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

GrandpaFrieza123

Post by GrandpaFrieza123 » Tue May 18, 2021 5:41 am

I'll be honest, I always preferred Vegeta
On his 18th birthday, Goku (Justin Chatwin) receives a mystical Dragonball as a gift from his grandfather. There are only six others like it in the whole world, and legend has it that whomever possesses all seven will be granted one perfect wish. When the arrival of a dark force triggers a tragedy, Goku and his companions (Chow Yun-Fat, Emmy Rossum) are propelled into an epic quest to collect the seven Dragonballs and save the Earth from destruction.

Gohanhx

Post by Gohanhx » Wed May 19, 2021 9:29 am

A few years ago, I would've said Vegeta in a heartbeat. I didn't really feel much about Goku. But that was when I was a kid who hadn't watched the Japanese version yet. Now? I love Goku, at least Toriyama's Goku from the manga. I think watching Dragon Ball (1986) properly for the first time was the catalyst for altering my feelings about Goku. Kid Goku is just so...awesome. And as you see Goku grow and progress throughout the series, you develop a certain respect for the guy. One thing I would say though, I wish Goku failed more. One of the reasons I love the Piccolo Daimao Saga so much is because we really get to see Goku down in the dumps. At his most desperate, Tambourine destroys him. Later, Daimao-sama almost kills him. I do love the fact that Toriyama made him lose in not one but two Tenkaichi Budokai finals.

As for Vegeta, I do really love him too and even though I said all that about Goku just now, when they're both on screen together, Vegeta is the one that attracts more attention from me. For me the best Vegeta is Saiyajin and Freeza Saga Vegeta. Namek Vegeta is unrivalled. That whole early Namek stuff is so fucking good and a lot of it is because of Vegeta. After the Freeza stuff thought, Vegeta is a bit of a bitch but I do still enjoy his character.

So, in conclusion, love em both but Goku is Goku.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu May 20, 2021 10:45 pm

Vegeta is my absolute favorite character in the series so for me it is obviously him but I think Goku made Vegeta a great character. Without Goku there would be no Vegeta.

And also unlike many fans I have seen I will never tire of their relationship on screen.

BrBu

Post by BrBu » Fri May 21, 2021 10:25 am

I like Vegeta more!