Who Do You Like BETTER: Goku OR Vegeta?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PanSimpson
Banned

Who Do You Like BETTER: Goku OR Vegeta?

Post by PanSimpson » Mon May 03, 2021 2:26 pm

And why?

If we are talking about Z Goku and Vegeta, I personally love Vegeta in Z WAY MORE. If we are including Super into the equation, than I love Goku WAY MORE overall.

But overall, I like them about the same.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Who Do You Like BETTER: Goku OR Vegeta?

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 03, 2021 2:29 pm

When Vegeta isn't being boring (angry and aggressive all the tine) he's pretty hot. I wanna eat his cooking!! But Gokuu is such a sexy himbo...😳😳😳
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon May 03, 2021 2:40 pm

Ultimately, I prefer Goku. I just think that he is a more enjoyable character to watch. Not to say Vegeta isn't, though, I like his arrogant bravado, but to be frank, I don't really value his redemption arc as much as other people do. Maybe it's because I had already familiarized myself with Tien and Piccolo, though.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Nosferatu93
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nosferatu93 » Mon May 03, 2021 3:07 pm

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Mon May 03, 2021 2:29 pm When Vegeta isn't being boring (angry and aggressive all the tine) he's pretty hot. I wanna eat his cooking!! But Gokuu is such a sexy himbo...😳😳😳
Wtf some serious issues on this forum
Hellsing

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon May 03, 2021 3:09 pm

Vegeta's more fascinating as a character but I still prefer Goku overall, start to finish. Like I'm more inclined to watch a fanwork or spinoff that focused solely on Vegeta but I think Goku's overall personality and fit within the series is better if that makes more sense.

Or maybe it's a 1a and 1b thing for me :lol:
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon May 03, 2021 3:21 pm

I would've imagined more people would like Vegeta more. I personally prefer Goku. I think that I like the positive character more than the guy trying to pee on everyone's parade. When I was younger, I was all for Vegeta, but I'm over the asshole characters and enjoy more positive characters now.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 03, 2021 3:22 pm

Nosferatu93 wrote: ↑Mon May 03, 2021 3:07 pm
JulieYBM wrote: ↑Mon May 03, 2021 2:29 pm When Vegeta isn't being boring (angry and aggressive all the tine) he's pretty hot. I wanna eat his cooking!! But Gokuu is such a sexy himbo...😳😳😳
Wtf some serious issues on this forum
Thanks for the lovely comment, sweetie! πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ
She/Her
bisexual milf

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon May 03, 2021 3:40 pm

Vegeta by a solid mile now-a-days. Which is weird because 15 odd years ago I hated the Vegebul fandom with every sinew on my laughably weak frame. But going over the series, while Vegeta may be a pigheaded ape, he's also the only character who makes things happen. There's a sort of momentum the story takes on whenever Vegeta is around. Everything starts moving with purpose. There's also almost always something thematically interesting about Vegeta's mini arcs. From the poignancy of his death at the hands of Freeza to the darkly comedic look of horror on his face after realizing his act of selflessness against Buu accomplished less than nothing. Vegeta gives the crowd something besides the battle high.

Haven't been able to say that about Goku since he humbled himself in front of Raditz.
Goku is definitely a himbo but Vegeta hot? The guy looks like a troll doll.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 03, 2021 3:43 pm

His personality in Kami to Kami is soooo hot. Combine that with how he's drawn in Broli...

...of, Saiyan and Namek arc Vegeta can do things to me!! 😍😍😍
She/Her
bisexual milf

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 03, 2021 3:43 pm

His personality in Kami to Kami is soooo hot. Combine that with how he's drawn in Broli...

...oh, Saiyan and Namek arc Vegeta can do things to me!! 😍😍😍
She/Her
bisexual milf

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon May 03, 2021 4:00 pm

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Mon May 03, 2021 3:43 pm His personality in Kami to Kami is soooo hot. Combine that with how he's drawn in Broli...

Like shoot a laser beam through your skull if you bother him
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 03, 2021 4:02 pm

PurestEvil wrote: ↑Mon May 03, 2021 4:00 pm
JulieYBM wrote: ↑Mon May 03, 2021 3:43 pm His personality in Kami to Kami is soooo hot. Combine that with how he's drawn in Broli...

Like shoot a laser beam through your skull if you bother him
Gawd, I hope!
She/Her
bisexual milf

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Post by nhienphan2808 » Tue May 04, 2021 12:27 am

Vegeta by a solid mile now-a-days. Which is weird because 15 odd years ago I hated the Vegebul fandom with every sinew on my laughably weak frame. But going over the series, while Vegeta may be a pigheaded ape, he's also the only character who makes things happen. There's a sort of momentum the story takes on whenever Vegeta is around. Everything starts moving with purpose. There's also almost always something thematically interesting about Vegeta's mini arcs. From the poignancy of his death at the hands of Freeza to the darkly comedic look of horror on his face after realizing his act of selflessness against Buu accomplished less than nothing. Vegeta gives the crowd something besides the battle high.

Haven't been able to say that about Goku since he humbled himself in front of Raditz.
This 100%.

Goku is by no means a passive personality but the story beats just feel more ACTIVE with Vegeta's intensity. I dig how much of his character, while overexposed and overrated, is still "off screen" all these years, and I dig that SO MUCH. The same reason Bulma's a "strong female character" but I refer Chichi. She just brings new perspective to the table and our main character needs that. I need truely active characters like that in a stories.
"A sense of PURPOSE" is exactly the word i'm looking for with Vegeta. Goku has only ever had that with Grandpa Gohan and his memories, and even that was lost since Vegeta. In a way in my eyes, Vegeta is the replacement for Gohan Sr and has determined the theme of Z and everything after like Gohan Sr did before him.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue May 04, 2021 9:40 am

In the original run, Goku. I find his chaotic persona much more compelling than Vegeta's arc. Goku is unpredictable and you can often look pretty deeply into his motivations to find something else at work other than what it initially seems. Goku also had the more compelling character arc to me, be it when he struggles to accept his heritage, when he tries to juggle some newfound morality with his emerging Saiyan traits, when he recognizes his role in the Earth's constant threats and takes on a mentor role to pass on the torch, or when he ultimately becomes someone who interiorizes that the ends justify the means in his later adult years. His character takes a lot of twists and turns, especially as he matures into adulthood, which make him overall the more interesting character in comparison to Vegeta's rather linear and predictable arc. Yet despite his shortcomings, Goku also manages to be genuinely inspirational and a good role model when it comes to his single-minded purity of goal.

Nowadays, I'd say that both characters have stagnated and are arguably not that well written even in the manga, but Goku still remains as consistently unpredictable and chaotic, so I still prefer him even now.

ColonelAdams

Post by ColonelAdams » Tue May 04, 2021 10:16 am

I really like Vegeta, but Goku's increased screentime and general character arc puts him ahead by a wide margin.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue May 04, 2021 10:23 am

Goku. Honestly never cared much for Vegeta until Super

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Tue May 04, 2021 10:44 am

I have a preference for Z Goku. He is so pure-hearted, he is compassionate, he is a forgiving person and he is a fighting genius. If we don't count his obsession to fight, he is nearly perfect.

Vegeta is a pain in the neck most of the times... even though he gets better at the end of the Boo saga.

As for DBS, I'd say I like them both equally. But I really don't like how they made Goku immature and foolish just to please the young audience.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue May 04, 2021 12:16 pm

DBZ for me would be Goku is way better.
DBS Manga for me would be Vegeta is better by a bit.
DBS Anime for me would be Vegeta by a lot. Anime Goku should get erased due to how terrible he is.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue May 04, 2021 12:20 pm

GOKU! No question! I used to think Vegeta should have burned in hell but I dont want that anymore.
Marz wrote: ↑Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: ↑Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue May 04, 2021 12:47 pm

Vegeta

His character is a lot more dynamic and relatable.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: ↑Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.