Any official source what year Dragon Ball takes place?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

Any official source what year Dragon Ball takes place?

Post by super michael » Tue May 04, 2021 1:05 pm

I was wondering is there any official source that shows what year each saga takes place? Like an example what year the Saiyan Saga, Android Saga, etc?

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Re: Any official source what year Dragon Ball takes place?

Post by Yuji » Tue May 04, 2021 2:15 pm

I don't quite understand the question. Do you mean in-universe or out-of-universe? Out-of-universe, you can look at the release dates of each arc. In-universe, Dragon Ball follows its own calendar system. The series starts in Age 749 and ends in the manga by Age 784. We're currently in Super somewhere around Age 780-782. It hasn't been updated with Super, but this thread is a good resource. To answer your question,
Age 749: Hunt for the Dragon Balls, start of Kame-sennin’s training
Age 750 (1 year): 21st Tenkaichi Budokai, Red Ribbon Army, Uranai Baba
Age 753 (4 years): 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai, Piccolo Daimao
Age 756 (7 years): 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai
Age 761 (12 years): Raditz
Age 762 (13 years): Vegeta and Nappa, Freeza
Age 764 (15 years): Trunks
Age 767 (18 years): Androids, Cell Games
Age 774 (25 years): High school, 25th Tenkaichi Budokai, Majin Boo
Age 784 (35 years): 28th Tenkaichi Budokai (end of manga/DBZ)
Age 789 (40 years): Start of GT, Ultimate Dragon Balls, Baby
Age 790 (41 years): Earth explodes, Tenkaichi Budokai, Super No.17, Evil Dragons
Age 890 (141 years): Goku Jr., end of GT
Age 1000 (251 years): DB Online
Battle of Gods should take place in Age 778, with RF and the U6 tournament in 779, the future Trunks arc and Tournament of Power in 780 and the Broly movie, Moro arc and Granolah arc around 780-781. But someone more knowledgeable on the Super timeline can correct me.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Re: Any official source what year Dragon Ball takes place?

Post by Alruneia » Tue May 04, 2021 4:11 pm

Yuji wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:15 pm Battle of Gods should take place in Age 778, with RF and the U6 tournament in 779, the future Trunks arc and Tournament of Power in 780 and the Broly movie, Moro arc and Granolah arc around 780-781. But someone more knowledgeable on the Super timeline can correct me.
Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of official material to work with when it comes to the Super timeline. Which is probably on purpose, as Super may be meant to continue indefinitely while also somehow never reaching EoZ. Anyway, we can go off of what the Xenoverse games have said and what the 30th anniversary timeline said. That gives us something like this:
778 - Battle of Gods
779 - Resurrection F, the Champa arc, the Zamasu arc
780 - The Tournament of Power

After this, there's no actual statements for where in the timeline we actually are, but we can at least make educated guesses based on time passing in the story. This is how I see it, while trying to push the story as far back in the timeline as possible:
780 - Broly
780/781 - The Moro arc (There's a 2-month time skip that pretty much forces the end of the story into 781 no matter what, but the beginning of it could be in 780.)
781 - The Granolah arc (So far, at least.)
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link