In my opinion, after the Saiyan Arc...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: In my opinion, after the Saiyan Arc...

Post by ABED » Thu May 06, 2021 8:58 pm

"This world is bat shit insane. Remember that time that big green demon dude took over the world, declared anarchy, and then blew the shit out of the capital?"

And Piccolo didn't just destroy a random city. He blew up the political capital. It's like he blew up Washington DC.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri May 07, 2021 2:38 am

The King remembered Piccolo Daimao so I'm sure some isolated humans remembered him too.

CaJae10

Post by CaJae10 » Fri May 07, 2021 2:10 pm

ABED wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:58 pm "This world is bat shit insane. Remember that time that big green demon dude took over the world, declared anarchy, and then blew the shit out of the capital?"

And Piccolo didn't just destroy a random city. He blew up the political capital. It's like he blew up Washington DC.
I was going to say the King covered up the incident, but he literally says that he wishes someone like the kid who beat Piccolo comes along and defeats Cell, like he was expecting people to remember it. People remember Mr. Satan "killing" Cell but not Piccolo?

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri May 07, 2021 3:03 pm

It's almost as if someone used the Dragon Balls to wish away all memory of Piccolo like they later do with Buu. Maybe Kami did it during the 5 years before Z to put an end to global panic? You'd think Piccolo Jr being recognized during the 23rd Tournament would have repurcussions, ie. military action.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri May 07, 2021 4:32 pm

I can’t remember exactly but didn’t the announcer make some sort of reference to Piccolo Jr’s role in the 23rd Tenkaichi Tournament at the 25th? Like acknowledging he was a former runner up or something?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri May 07, 2021 4:42 pm

My personal headcanon for consistency's sake is people just don't remember it was Goku specifically who defeated Piccolo. However, people buying into Mr. Satan's cries of "IT'S A TRICK!" Well...there's no real getting around that. After two occasions of aliens wiping entire cities off the map, the Earth just shouldn't believe any of that shit.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri May 07, 2021 4:49 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:32 pm I can’t remember exactly but didn’t the announcer make some sort of reference to Piccolo Jr’s role in the 23rd Tenkaichi Tournament at the 25th? Like acknowledging he was a former runner up or something?
He recognized Goku and the others and told him and Piccolo not to blow up the ring this time. Piccolo also enrolled as Ma Jr so he wouldn't be recognized.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat May 08, 2021 12:05 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:42 pm My personal headcanon for consistency's sake is people just don't remember it was Goku specifically who defeated Piccolo.
There was nothing for them to remember, the only ones to see Goku and Tenshinhan up close was the king and a few of his aides. The rest of the world just had some blurry video footage taken from a distance, so they only knew it was "a kid and a young man".
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 08, 2021 5:15 am

CaJae10 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:10 pm
ABED wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:58 pm "This world is bat shit insane. Remember that time that big green demon dude took over the world, declared anarchy, and then blew the shit out of the capital?"

I was going to say the King covered up the incident, but he literally says that he wishes someone like the kid who beat Piccolo comes along and defeats Cell, like he was expecting people to remember it. People remember Mr. Satan "killing" Cell but not Piccolo?
Piccolo Daimao broadcast his declarations on TV. They'd remember him, just not who defeated him.

I remember in the anime some reporters find out Goku saved the world and try to get an interview when Goku is looking for Nyoi bo so he can make it to Kami's temple. I do'n't recall if that's in the manga.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat May 08, 2021 5:29 am

ABED wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:15 am I remember in the anime some reporters find out Goku saved the world and try to get an interview when Goku is looking for Nyoi bo so he can make it to Kami's temple. I do'n't recall if that's in the manga.
It's not.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 08, 2021 4:18 pm

Adamant wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:29 am
ABED wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:15 am I remember in the anime some reporters find out Goku saved the world and try to get an interview when Goku is looking for Nyoi bo so he can make it to Kami's temple. I do'n't recall if that's in the manga.
It's not.
Yep, didn't think it was. Thanks for confirming.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sun May 09, 2021 6:15 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:42 pm My personal headcanon for consistency's sake is people just don't remember it was Goku specifically who defeated Piccolo. However, people buying into Mr. Satan's cries of "IT'S A TRICK!" Well...there's no real getting around that. After two occasions of aliens wiping entire cities off the map, the Earth just shouldn't believe any of that shit.
I dunno, if I were an average guy hanging around in Dragon World, I wouldn't know what to make of all that stuff.

Sure, Piccolo destroyed Central City and that would still be a smoking crater afterwards, but it also would've become clear that despite this, everyone living there is alive, somehow or other (that also goes for Cell and Buu, of course). As for East City, sure enough that was destroyed with all its inhabitants, but there's the rub; nobody could say for sure what went on there to cause it - there were two spherical objects found, one of which vanished and the other of which blew up before anybody got any answers as to what they were really about. They'd have to chalk it up as an unresolved mystery - probably just the kooks would buy into it being aliens, while others would seek more mundane explanations.

Trying to have a clear view of the realities of their world would be pretty impossible for the average Earthling, even without Mr. Satan's misinformation. And periods of utter mayhem followed by the revelation that (upon closer inspection and after the dust has settled) basically everybody is actually fine would feed into Mr. Satan's 'trick' narrative pretty well.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun May 09, 2021 10:33 am

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:15 am
jjgp1112 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:42 pm My personal headcanon for consistency's sake is people just don't remember it was Goku specifically who defeated Piccolo. However, people buying into Mr. Satan's cries of "IT'S A TRICK!" Well...there's no real getting around that. After two occasions of aliens wiping entire cities off the map, the Earth just shouldn't believe any of that shit.
I dunno, if I were an average guy hanging around in Dragon World, I wouldn't know what to make of all that stuff.

Sure, Piccolo destroyed Central City and that would still be a smoking crater afterwards, but it also would've become clear that despite this, everyone living there is alive, somehow or other (that also goes for Cell and Buu, of course). As for East City, sure enough that was destroyed with all its inhabitants, but there's the rub; nobody could say for sure what went on there to cause it - there were two spherical objects found, one of which vanished and the other of which blew up before anybody got any answers as to what they were really about. They'd have to chalk it up as an unresolved mystery - probably just the kooks would buy into it being aliens, while others would seek more mundane explanations.

Trying to have a clear view of the realities of their world would be pretty impossible for the average Earthling, even without Mr. Satan's misinformation. And periods of utter mayhem followed by the revelation that (upon closer inspection and after the dust has settled) basically everybody is actually fine would feed into Mr. Satan's 'trick' narrative pretty well.
Good point that I hadn't considered! Yeah, the surrounding circumstances were probably weird enough to raise eyebrows
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler