I feel like Dragon Ball doesn't work well in movie format

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

I feel like Dragon Ball doesn't work well in movie format

Post by precita » Sun May 09, 2021 11:03 am

With the exception of maybe Battle of Gods.

The problem with the movies, is since they're so short, there really is no time for build-up or plot and most of the movies are just fighting. Sure you can say the same about the anime, but since the series is paced differently there are long gaps between the big confrontations and the plot moves slowly to gradually build up to whatever the saga is about.

Even the Broly movie suffers from this, despite being plot driven for the first half, once Broly and Vegeta start fighting it's just a non-stop brawl till the movie ends. In anime format, there's always different things happening to pace things better. And because the movies are one and done, they have to introduce the main villain of the movie and then basically kill him off in about an hour, so the movie villains barely get a chance to make an impact because they're done away with so quickly.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: I feel like Dragon Ball doesn't work well in movie format

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun May 09, 2021 11:25 am

I enjoy most of the movies, although one that suffers a bit is Resurrection F. Despite what others on here say I really like the movie. It's just the way they simply handed Goku and Vegeta their Blue forms felt rushed and halfassed for the sake of selling toys. Super Saiyan God in BoG was given sufficient buildup and was satisfying to see, not to mention being the first new form in 16 years.

Then Blue was revealed out of nowhere. SSG was this special form that required a ritual. Then suddenly there's a new form that's better in every way, can be attained at any time without the ritual, and Vegeta can do it too. It's obvious that the logic was; new movie needs a new form or we won't sell any toys.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 09, 2021 12:18 pm

Eighty minutes is plenty of time for plot. Long-running kids cartoons have rotted the brains of US anime fans, I swear. You don't need to slowly show each A-to-B plot point. You can structure a dense story in a small amount of time.

I mean, heck. Look at what Evangelion accomplished in its first 4-6 episodes alone. That's a movie right there. You can apply that to Dragon Ball, too.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun May 09, 2021 12:34 pm

Okay but what specifically about Dragon Ball doesn’t work in movie format? A lot of movies introduce their villain and kill them off in the same film. The Dragon Ball movies being short doesn’t explain why Dragon Ball doesn’t work in movie format.

A lot of action movies delve into non-stop brawling in the third act

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun May 09, 2021 12:41 pm

Doesn't work? Ok sure i will agree some of the OG films (particularly the Z ones) weren't exactly the greatest but still that doesn't mean the series doesn't lend itself to feature format as a whole.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 09, 2021 12:44 pm

The plots in DB aren't dense. The movies don't need long to set up the villain and pay it off.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun May 09, 2021 1:10 pm

I think if paced properly it can work in movie format, and that comes down to both story and staff. Toei's had well-paced One Piece and Precure movies before, so there's no reason a DB movie couldn't also.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun May 09, 2021 3:41 pm

I agree with Julie and everyone on this, Dragon Ball can and has worked well in movie format. Longer arcs aren't always better, quality over quantity, et ceterAH. Case in point, the Moro arc. All those volumes and volumes of panel space and Moro somehow managed to be less compelling than just about every major antagonist, including many one-shot movie villains.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun May 09, 2021 3:50 pm

BoG doesn’t have a particularly “cinematic” story either. When taken on its own, it plays more like an extended reunion special than anything else. I’d argue the most recent Broly movie has a more cinematic structure overall, although that’s largely because the first half hour or so is crammed with backstory. Of course, both of those movies have more going on than Resurrection ‘F’.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon May 10, 2021 6:50 am

I agree and that's why I don't want to see a live action movie or the series. There's too much important material to cover that a movie just wouldn't be able to do.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Wed May 12, 2021 6:32 pm

I prefer Battle of Gods, Resurrection F, and Broly to the show.

I thought the Zamasu saga, Tournament of Power, and Moro saga were incredibly sloppy. Except for some key moments - like Goku visiting Frieza in Hell, 17 vs. Toppo, and the Roshi centric episodes.

I think Dragon Ball is better off in the movie format following Buu. The pacing is better, the writing is tight, and the animation is FANTASTIC.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed May 12, 2021 10:47 pm

I also preferred the movie format since the stories are more shorter and the movie offers a (mostly) single author's vision. My memory of the anime is fuzzy since it's been a few years (which is why I never blame Toriyama for forgetting anything!) but I remember there being plot threads that didn't go anywhere and some details only applying to one episode depending on the writer. I guess it felt rushed and that there wasn't much of a coherent vision among the writers if that makes sense. I wouldn't mind if the series continued in only movies or shorter more light hearted arcs like the Champa arc which I thought was fitting for the time period.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 12, 2021 11:00 pm

A TV series can still work, it just requires a series director to be allowed control. We saw the shift that Nagamine was able to make on the Tournament of Power arc, especially when he personally directed and storyboarded. He did that while having zero time and staff. Now look at the Wano arc of One Piece in comparison to the runs of the other series directors.

I just finished the twelve episode second season of World Trigger, which Hatano Morio was the series director of. With a proper production schedule and staff the series was consistently high quality. The fights weren't just good--they were consistently well directed and animated. Check out how many uploads are on Sakugabooru! Furthermore, the dialogue scenes are also really well done!

Dragon Ball can work very well in television if you just let the best creators do their thing without worrying too much about what non-creators think.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter