Burdock or Barduck

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Burdock or Barduck

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed May 12, 2021 6:44 am

Aim wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:46 am
TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:44 pm
Aim wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:54 pm
So it’s Bardock? What’s this thing with “Barduck” then?
It was never "Barduck."
It has been used.
I mean, it might've been used, but so has "Doubler," but that doesn't mean that there's anything more to it than a funky reach to interpret the name. Could it be "Barduck?" You might reach to find a way to make it sound like "Bardock"/"Burdock," but there's no real reason to use that spelling. If we're going by "burdock" the vegetable, you could also use "Birdock." You can literally use any combination of letters to sound it out -- that's the beauty of interpreting kana into alphabetic writing. You can use "Bardoc," "Bardok," "Barrdoc," "Barrdok," "Birdoc," "Birdok" ... You see where I'm going with this. Is there a reason to do it that way? Not really.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed May 12, 2021 8:16 am

Aim wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:46 am
TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:44 pm
Aim wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:54 pm
So it’s Bardock? What’s this thing with “Barduck” then?
It was never "Barduck."
It has been used.
Where though? Simmons subtitles use Burdock. Psaros from DBZU used Bardok. When was Barduck ever used?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed May 12, 2021 3:47 pm

looking through old posts here, and something Adamant said recently, old Japanese merch used it, and it was probably a spelling that stuck around as a result like Gokou.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Wed May 12, 2021 7:27 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:47 pm looking through old posts here, and something Adamant said recently, old Japanese merch used it, and it was probably a spelling that stuck around as a result like Gokou.
Yeah, people need to learn to go back and read.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Thu May 13, 2021 10:23 am

MyVisionity wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:55 pm
Aim wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:54 pm So it’s Bardock? What’s this thing with “Barduck” then?

Since the name of the vegetable, "burdock", is apparently approximated in Japanese as バードック/baadokku, and the character's name is written as バーダック/baadakku, then the arguably better spelling of his name is akin to "Burduck", phonetically speaking.

"Barduck" is one of many alternate spellings found throughout fandom, and I think was mentioned as having been an officially licensed name in Japan at one point.

For me personally, using "-duck" reminds me too much of ducks, same with "-dack" (quack). I think if I were coming up with an official name, then I would just change maybe a letter or two at the end to indicate the wordplay, like "Burdok"/"Burdoc" or something else.

It could be that's why Simmons went with the "Burdock" spelling. Because maybe he thought "Burduck" was too awkward, or maybe that it was just largely unnecessary to even bother with the pun.
Is there a reason the “duck” at the end isn’t “dack” instead? Or is “dakku” equivalent to “duck”?

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu May 13, 2021 4:33 pm

Aim wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:23 am
Aim wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:54 pm So it’s Bardock? What’s this thing with “Barduck” then?

Since the name of the vegetable, "burdock", is apparently approximated in Japanese as バードック/baadokku, and the character's name is written as バーダック/baadakku, then the arguably better spelling of his name is akin to "Burduck", phonetically speaking.

"Barduck" is one of many alternate spellings found throughout fandom, and I think was mentioned as having been an officially licensed name in Japan at one point.

For me personally, using "-duck" reminds me too much of ducks, same with "-dack" (quack). I think if I were coming up with an official name, then I would just change maybe a letter or two at the end to indicate the wordplay, like "Burdok"/"Burdoc" or something else.

It could be that's why Simmons went with the "Burdock" spelling. Because maybe he thought "Burduck" was too awkward, or maybe that it was just largely unnecessary to even bother with the pun.
Is there a reason the “duck” at the end isn’t “dack” instead? Or is “dakku” equivalent to “duck”?
There's no reason you couldn't use "-dack" instead. "Dakku" can approximate both "-dack" and "-duck" (and "-dock" as well, but again, it's a pun so...)

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Thu May 13, 2021 11:30 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:33 pm
Aim wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:23 am

There's no reason you couldn't use "-dack" instead. "Dakku" can approximate both "-dack" and "-duck" (and "-dock" as well, but again, it's a pun so...)
So you keep with the pun, would dack be better instead of full on dock?

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sat May 15, 2021 4:00 am

And here I am wondering why Toriyama sometimes used vegetable names directly (e.g. burdock) and other times did something funky with them (e.g. Kakarot).
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat May 15, 2021 5:13 am

Yuli Ban wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:00 am And here I am wondering why Toriyama sometimes used vegetable names directly (e.g. burdock)
He didn't.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sun May 16, 2021 2:13 pm

Adamant wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:13 am
Yuli Ban wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:00 am And here I am wondering why Toriyama sometimes used vegetable names directly (e.g. burdock)
He didn't.
That explains that then.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri May 21, 2021 11:51 pm

Bardock has a nice ring to it.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:15 am

Hulk10 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:51 pm Bardock has a nice ring to it.
I think Burdack is better, it sticks with the puns and is akin to “Raditz”. Like, we don’t call Raditz “Radish”.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:55 pm

Aim wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:15 am
Hulk10 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:51 pm Bardock has a nice ring to it.
I think Burdack is better, it sticks with the puns and is akin to “Raditz”. Like, we don’t call Raditz “Radish”.
To each their own.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:30 pm

He didn't.
Kale says hi.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:34 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:30 pm
He didn't.
Kale says hi.
And Nappa

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:28 pm

Nappa's the only vegetable name/word that's coming to mind as spelled exactly as the source word in full that we know for sure came from Toriyama's pen.

Probably worth noting that Kale was a Toei invention, and then Toriyama in response/conjunction created Caulifla. Not sure he would have been responsible for Kale's name.

Toriyama designed Shallot, but did he name him? And anyway, a character with the exact same name spelling (シャロット) came earlier in Dragon Ball Fusions (which they localized as "Shalot")... and even then it's arguable they're shortening the originally-from-French エシャロット, which was itself used as a potential joke name in Super.

Going back a little further, Toriyama renamed all of Bardock's crewmates, and in two cases changes their names so they WEREN'T just the exact words as-is (コーン and パンプキン).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:44 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:34 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:30 pm

He didn't.
Kale says hi.
And Nappa
(For what it's worth I was only referring to Burdack with that "he didn't" comment, partially out of annoyance that people are still going on about this "his name is literally just burdock" misconception no matter how many times it's pointed out it isn't)
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!