Burdock or Barduck

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aim
Banned

Burdock or Barduck

Post by Aim » Sun May 09, 2021 7:06 pm

Which is the most accurate, overall better way to say and spell his name? An example would be as discussed in previous threads would be “Kuririn” as opposed to “Krillin”. Another example which is more so spelling is “Freeza”, another example which is more so the saying would be “Saiyan”.

So without full into the history of the name which I already know, which is the way that’s best to say and write it? (Before anyone says there is no “best way”, please know I mean the way that’s probably going to be closer to the original while also being true to the pun and the original idea behind the name.)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Burdock or Barduck

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun May 09, 2021 7:09 pm

Presumably Burdock

https://www.healthline.com/health/burdock-root

Never heard Barduck in my life tbh

But unlike Bulla and Hercule, Bardock never bothered me.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun May 09, 2021 9:00 pm

I prefer the official French manga translator's version: Bardack.
You want the word to show the pun with "burdock"? It's close enough.
You want the word to be similar to the Japanese pronunciation Bādakku? It's close enough.
Double win!
Burdock + Bādakku = Bardack as a compromise.

It's just a matter of opinion, though, but I like what she did there.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun May 09, 2021 10:10 pm

"Burdock" (バーダック).

It doesn't seem like Toriyama was trying to play with any syllables, but just taking the name of the vegetable as is. The pun comes from taking the Japanese term gobou and using its English name.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon May 10, 2021 3:43 am

Cold Skin wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:00 pm I prefer the official French manga translator's version: Bardack.
You want the word to show the pun with "burdock"? It's close enough.
You want the word to be similar to the Japanese pronunciation Bādakku? It's close enough.
Double win!
Burdock + Bādakku = Bardack as a compromise.

It's just a matter of opinion, though, but I like what she did there.
I see, however Vision brings up a good point, it seems Toriyama apparently intended it to be the actual name of the vegetable, so Burdock seems to be probably the best one to go with.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon May 10, 2021 6:46 am

His name is based on Burdock, but it's spelled "バーダック" (ba-dakku). So, as we use "Raditz" instead of "Radish," I am perfectly content using "Bardock" because that's more or less in line with the pronunciation of the spelling. The Saiyan names are all adapted from vegetables and aren't on-the-nose, so "Burdock" wouldn't be the most accurate (in my opinion). I know Steve Simmons uses "Burdock," though.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon May 10, 2021 10:13 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:46 am His name is based on Burdock, but it's spelled "バーダック" (ba-dakku). So, as we use "Raditz" instead of "Radish," I am perfectly content using "Bardock" because that's more or less in line with the pronunciation of the spelling. The Saiyan names are all adapted from vegetables and aren't on-the-nose, so "Burdock" wouldn't be the most accurate (in my opinion). I know Steve Simmons uses "Burdock," though.

バーダック/baadakku is an approximation for both "Burdock" and "Bardock", among other spellings/pronunciations.

Raditz/Radish does not compare in this case because those are two different Japanese spellings (radisshu vs radittsu).

Many of Toriyama's character names in the series are simply taken directly from the source, without alterations. In the case of the Saiyans, you have "Nappa" taken directly from nappa. Besides that, in this case the "pun" appears to be the usage of the English term (burdock) in the place of the Japanese term (gobou).

It's fine if anyone prefers the "Bardock" name or whatever else, I'm just addressing these points.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon May 10, 2021 11:48 am

MyVisionity wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:13 am
TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:46 am His name is based on Burdock, but it's spelled "バーダック" (ba-dakku). So, as we use "Raditz" instead of "Radish," I am perfectly content using "Bardock" because that's more or less in line with the pronunciation of the spelling. The Saiyan names are all adapted from vegetables and aren't on-the-nose, so "Burdock" wouldn't be the most accurate (in my opinion). I know Steve Simmons uses "Burdock," though.

バーダック/baadakku is an approximation for both "Burdock" and "Bardock", among other spellings/pronunciations.

Raditz/Radish does not compare in this case because those are two different Japanese spellings (radisshu vs radittsu).

Many of Toriyama's character names in the series are simply taken directly from the source, without alterations. In the case of the Saiyans, you have "Nappa" taken directly from nappa. Besides that, in this case the "pun" appears to be the usage of the English term (burdock) in the place of the Japanese term (gobou).

It's fine if anyone prefers the "Bardock" name or whatever else, I'm just addressing these points.
You're right; I forgot about Nappa being super direct. Wouldn't "burdock" be "ブーダック" though?

Even though I can read Katakana, I still have trouble interpreting exactly what it's trying to say. I get tripped up on the interchangeable nature of R/L, N/M, V/B and whether the chōonpu is simply elongating the vowel or adding an R into it.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon May 10, 2021 1:29 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:48 am You're right; I forgot about Nappa being super direct. Wouldn't "burdock" be "ブーダック" though?

Even though I can read Katakana, I still have trouble interpreting exactly what it's trying to say. I get tripped up on the interchangeable nature of R/L, N/M, V/B and whether the chōonpu is simply elongating the vowel or adding an R into it.
ブー is read buu and approximates the "boo" sound. The ブ/bu kana does not sound anything like the "bur" in "burdock". The best way to approximate that sound is with an elongated ba (バ). Same with the "bar" in "bardock".

It sounds like maybe you misunderstand something about elongating vowels? Or the nature of Katakana in general? It helps if you know what words you are approximating to begin with.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon May 10, 2021 2:44 pm

Yeah, I know about the "ブー" sound. I guess "バー" would be closer. The goal is to be able to decipher Katakana on its own without any hints lol

I still think that for pronunciation purposes, "Bardock" would win the race, but it becomes like "Baby" vs. "Bebi." I guess it comes down to preference over pronunciation versus pun preservation.

By the way -- thanks for taking the time out to share your knowledge.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon May 10, 2021 5:10 pm

Pretty sure I explained this last time you asked:
Adamant wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:21 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:23 pmBurdock is literally the name of a fruit.
Assuming you're talking about the character here... again, no. The vegetable (not fruit, he's a Saiyan) burdock's name is written バードック (bādokku) in Japanese, while the Dragonball character is バーダック (Bādakku). I assume Simmons legitimately was under the impression バーダック was how you wrote the name of the vegetable when he chose to write the character's name as "Burdock", and the "Bardock" spelling proooobably came from the same just-write-what-it-sounds-like-these-are-just-fantasy-names-anyway logic as Vegita, Taurus, Doubler and friends, but none of them make a whole lot of sense, really.
tldr there's this misconception that his name is literally just spelled the same way as the vegetable's name, but that's not true. The character's name is バーダック, which is a pun on バードック (burdock).
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Mon May 10, 2021 5:41 pm

So for English the ideal would be "Burdack"? (since it comes from burdock/バードッ, and changesド/do for ダ/da)

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon May 10, 2021 6:03 pm

Adamant wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:10 pm tldr there's this misconception that his name is literally just spelled the same way as the vegetable's name, but that's not true. The character's name is バーダック, which is a pun on バードック (burdock).
Where exactly are you getting the spelling of the vegetable as バードック/baadokku from? I haven't seen that spelling anywhere. And "dock" can also be approximated with dakku along with dokku from what I have seen, so I wouldn't call that particular aspect a misconception.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon May 10, 2021 6:09 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:03 pm Where exactly are you getting the spelling of the vegetable as バードック/baadokku from? I haven't seen that spelling anywhere.
https://www.pochi.co.jp/ext/herbxurara/burdock.html
https://www.timeless-edition.com/archives/8311
http://www2.j-herbgarden.jp/15579933116870
https://search.rakuten.co.jp/search/mal ... tg1007176/
https://www.enherb.jp/shop/g/ge112603-11/
https://mrs-hiroko.shop-pro.jp/?mode=f211

And that's just from the first page of a google search for バードック. If you haven't seen it anywhere, I don't think you actually looked.

And I'm pretty sure you've never seen the バーダック spelling for the vegetable either.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon May 10, 2021 6:46 pm

Adamant wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:09 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:03 pm Where exactly are you getting the spelling of the vegetable as バードック/baadokku from? I haven't seen that spelling anywhere.
https://www.pochi.co.jp/ext/herbxurara/burdock.html
https://www.timeless-edition.com/archives/8311
http://www2.j-herbgarden.jp/15579933116870
https://search.rakuten.co.jp/search/mal ... tg1007176/
https://www.enherb.jp/shop/g/ge112603-11/
https://mrs-hiroko.shop-pro.jp/?mode=f211

And that's just from the first page of a google search for バードック. If you haven't seen it anywhere, I don't think you actually looked.

And I'm pretty sure you've never seen the バーダック spelling for the vegetable either.
Whoops! Looks like you are correct. I probably could have searched more thoroughly, to be fair.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Tue May 11, 2021 7:54 pm

Adamant wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:10 pm Pretty sure I explained this last time you asked:
Robo4900 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:23 pmBurdock is literally the name of a fruit.
Assuming you're talking about the character here... again, no. The vegetable (not fruit, he's a Saiyan) burdock's name is written バードック (bādokku) in Japanese, while the Dragonball character is バーダック (Bādakku). I assume Simmons legitimately was under the impression バーダック was how you wrote the name of the vegetable when he chose to write the character's name as "Burdock", and the "Bardock" spelling proooobably came from the same just-write-what-it-sounds-like-these-are-just-fantasy-names-anyway logic as Vegita, Taurus, Doubler and friends, but none of them make a whole lot of sense, really.
tldr there's this misconception that his name is literally just spelled the same way as the vegetable's name, but that's not true. The character's name is バーダック, which is a pun on バードック (burdock).
So it’s Bardock? What’s this thing with “Barduck” then?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue May 11, 2021 8:44 pm

Aim wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:54 pm
Adamant wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:10 pm Pretty sure I explained this last time you asked:

It was never "Barduck."

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue May 11, 2021 10:55 pm

Aim wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:54 pm So it’s Bardock? What’s this thing with “Barduck” then?

Since the name of the vegetable, "burdock", is apparently approximated in Japanese as バードック/baadokku, and the character's name is written as バーダック/baadakku, then the arguably better spelling of his name is akin to "Burduck", phonetically speaking.

"Barduck" is one of many alternate spellings found throughout fandom, and I think was mentioned as having been an officially licensed name in Japan at one point.

For me personally, using "-duck" reminds me too much of ducks, same with "-dack" (quack). I think if I were coming up with an official name, then I would just change maybe a letter or two at the end to indicate the wordplay, like "Burdok"/"Burdoc" or something else.

It could be that's why Simmons went with the "Burdock" spelling. Because maybe he thought "Burduck" was too awkward, or maybe that it was just largely unnecessary to even bother with the pun.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Wed May 12, 2021 5:46 am

MyVisionity wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:55 pm
Aim wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:54 pm So it’s Bardock? What’s this thing with “Barduck” then?

Since the name of the vegetable, "burdock", is apparently approximated in Japanese as バードック/baadokku, and the character's name is written as バーダック/baadakku, then the arguably better spelling of his name is akin to "Burduck", phonetically speaking.

"Barduck" is one of many alternate spellings found throughout fandom, and I think was mentioned as having been an officially licensed name in Japan at one point.

For me personally, using "-duck" reminds me too much of ducks, same with "-dack" (quack). I think if I were coming up with an official name, then I would just change maybe a letter or two at the end to indicate the wordplay, like "Burdok"/"Burdoc" or something else.

It could be that's why Simmons went with the "Burdock" spelling. Because maybe he thought "Burduck" was too awkward, or maybe that it was just largely unnecessary to even bother with the pun.
Right, so it’s settled, like how Saiyan isn’t spelt “Cyan” or “Cyan”, and is pronounced “Sigh-yan”, Bardock is actually “Burduck”, thank you for that.

I personally think it’s a little awkward in the beginning, but once I started thinking up scenarios in the show where his name did come up, saying “Burduck” in a sentence isn’t actually that jarring, only if you emphasise the “duck” part. Is there a reason the “duck” at the end isn’t “dack” instead? Or is “dakku” equivalent to “duck”?

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Wed May 12, 2021 5:46 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:44 pm
Aim wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:54 pm

It was never "Barduck."
It has been used.