Which is the character that you don't like

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Which is the character that you don't like

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat May 15, 2021 7:32 pm

Really? Filler has been actually quite kind to Gohan. Remember all that character building they did for him in the Saiyan Saga?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sat May 15, 2021 8:25 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:05 am Anime Kale is AWFUL. Thank God the manga made her significantly less weird and pathetic. One of the few things Toyotaro did better.
a flat and undeveloped character = Kale manga
A character with development, relationships and established goals = Kale anime

thanos: no perfectly balance ...

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat May 15, 2021 9:07 pm

Every single dbs & dbgt character. Enuf said

Their design while comparatively slightly bearable to OP designs, their voice, motivations, etc is simply...gosh

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun May 16, 2021 12:04 am

Tai Lung wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:25 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:05 am Anime Kale is AWFUL. Thank God the manga made her significantly less weird and pathetic. One of the few things Toyotaro did better.

I couldn't care less about the development she goes through if the root character is terrible.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sun May 16, 2021 1:50 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:04 am

I couldn't care less about the development she goes through if the root character is terrible.
You are saying that one character is better than another, however I compare them and it is the opposite ...
-It is not better in design .. basically it is the same based on broly
-in power there is no difference either
-In development one has it and the other does not
-the relationship with caulifla is better established in the anime (and in fact the author's intention was to show that they were a team)
-As far as plot holes are concerned ... kale from the manga is the only one who has a ridiculous weakness of wear and tear that neither broly has despite having less experience than her

how kale from the anime is supposed to be terrible ... her flaws is basically being afraid of combat and it is something that she overcomes in the course of the tournament

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun May 16, 2021 1:55 am

Tai Lung wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:50 am

You are saying that one character is better than another, however I compare them and it is the opposite ...
-the relationship with caulifla is better established in the anime (and in fact the author's intention was to show that they were a team)
-As far as plot holes are concerned ... kale from the manga is the only one who has a ridiculous weakness of wear and tear that neither broly has despite having less experience than her

how kale from the anime is supposed to be terrible ... her flaws is basically being afraid of combat and it is something that she overcomes in the course of the tournament
It's not the lack of confidence that annoys me (at least not completely) but her ridiculous, unbalanced attachment to Caulifla that we're expected to sympathize with. On top of, as another user mentioned, being full of all the usual annoying anime archetypes. None of that is present in the manga, and it's better for it.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sun May 16, 2021 3:27 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:55 am
Tai Lung wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:50 am

It's not the lack of confidence that annoys me (at least not completely) but her ridiculous, unbalanced attachment to Caulifla that we're expected to sympathize with. On top of, as another user mentioned, being full of all the usual annoying anime archetypes. None of that is present in the manga, and it's better for it.
The characters were created to form a team and have a close relationship ... like ten shinhan and chiatzu or Paragus and Broly only that unlike them with kale and caulifla it is better explained ... since we can see that caulifla saves her from problems ... so her attachment to her is understood given her gratitude ...
in the manga this is worse ... since kale appreciates caulifla a lot, however us never see that this is reciprocal so it makes it nonsense ...
What archetype? ... kale is a character who starts with her insecurities but manages to overcome those by the people she cares about .. she is not very different from gohan

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun May 16, 2021 3:30 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:32 pm Really? Filler has been actually quite kind to Gohan. Remember all that character building they did for him in the Saiyan Saga?
Nah that's good filler Gohan, I'm talking mid-fight-filler Gohan. Seriously, the little git never stops calling for his dad.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon May 17, 2021 4:33 am

I, for one, found Kale to be quite irritating at first mainly because of the way she just talks. That "shy girl" voice she had just makes my eyes roll. Thankfully that voice wore off and she started to speak normally in the ToP.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Brogeta

Post by Brogeta » Mon May 17, 2021 4:50 am

I'm going to go controversial here and say Majin Buu. He is a villain that was very one dimensional as it comes and overstayed his welcome.

Half of his vocabulary is just grunts and was far from a interesting villain. Just a big let down after coming off villains like Vegeta, Frieza and Cell.

Each of the them had a motive but Buu was just evil for no reason. Nothing wrong with that concept and could work but it fails because Buu for the majority of the time wonders around aimlessly making random noises absorbing people.

Out of every villain including GT and Supers, I found Buu to be the least likeable.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon May 17, 2021 5:55 am

Here is my wish for my worst character (note I got this from a video I watch, so I can’t take credit). Just incase I don’t mean it for real, this is a joke the wish.

My wish is for Chi Chi to go swimming in a septic tank, a sewage skinny dip in the most foul, disgusting, jam-packed septic tank she can possibly find.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon May 17, 2021 8:58 am

PurestEvil wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:49 am Kaioshin. He is incompetent, ignorant, spineless, and just generally useless.
Well you have to remember he's not very powerful compared to the bigger characters, and if he gets killed Beerus dies with him, so he needs to be pretty careful

GrandpaFrieza123

Post by GrandpaFrieza123 » Tue May 18, 2021 5:35 am

-Pilaf Gang
-Moro
-Gotenks
-Chi-Chi
-Lord Slug
-Bio-Broly
-That Jaguar guy from Bio-Broly
-Roshi and Oolong when they're being perverted
-Current Goku and current Frieza
-Caulifla/Kale/Kefla
-Jiren
On his 18th birthday, Goku (Justin Chatwin) receives a mystical Dragonball as a gift from his grandfather. There are only six others like it in the whole world, and legend has it that whomever possesses all seven will be granted one perfect wish. When the arrival of a dark force triggers a tragedy, Goku and his companions (Chow Yun-Fat, Emmy Rossum) are propelled into an epic quest to collect the seven Dragonballs and save the Earth from destruction.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue May 18, 2021 6:23 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:58 am
PurestEvil wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:49 am Kaioshin. He is incompetent, ignorant, spineless, and just generally useless.
Well you have to remember he's not very powerful compared to the bigger characters, and if he gets killed Beerus dies with him, so he needs to be pretty careful
I have no issue with him being weak, but I do have a problem with his stupid decisions and poor planning.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue May 18, 2021 6:40 am

It's his poor planning that makes him useful TO THE STORY. Without that, Buu doesn't get released
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue May 18, 2021 7:45 am

ABED wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:40 am It's his poor planning that makes him useful TO THE STORY. Without that, Buu doesn't get released
I know that. I said he was "useless" in the context of the events themselves, not that he did not do anything significant in the story.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue May 18, 2021 8:00 am

ABED wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:40 am It's his poor planning that makes him useful TO THE STORY. Without that, Buu doesn't get released
To be fair Buu getting revived wasn't Kaioshin fault, how was he supposed to know that Vegeta would get possessed on purpose just to fight Goku. How would he know that Vegeta would go and kill innocent people just to get Goku to fight him.

Kaioshin needed to find Babidi Space ship, so them giving Gohan energy wasn't a mistake. They used Gohan energy as bait to follow Babidi men. Vegeta, Goku and Gohan despite fighting one on one they didn't give any energy to Babidi at all, so Kaioshin didn't make any mistakes there.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue May 18, 2021 10:04 am

The Evil Dragons from Dragon Ball GT. They are essentially meant to represent Dragon Ball's endgame in its totality for storytelling and thematic perspective... and they're boring as sin and have no discernable characteristics.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue May 18, 2021 5:29 pm

super michael wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:00 am
To be fair Buu getting revived wasn't Kaioshin fault, how was he supposed to know that Vegeta would get possessed on purpose just to fight Goku. How would he know that Vegeta would go and kill innocent people just to get Goku to fight him.
But didn't Shin read Vegeta's mind when they were flying to Babidi's ship? even Dabura picked up on Vegeta's anger, yet Shin who an hour before read his mind, now couldn't.

I guess Shin isn't that good at it, or when somebody bottles up their anger, can block gods from reading their mind.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue May 18, 2021 5:47 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:04 am The Evil Dragons from Dragon Ball GT. They are essentially meant to represent Dragon Ball's endgame in its totality for storytelling and thematic perspective... and they're boring as sin and have no discernable characteristics.
This is just not true. One is transgender, one has a great degree of honor, the ice dragon is his brother and an opportunistic douchebag, one is super weak but has a useful power and an inflated sense of self worth, one will use people as a human shield like a coward. I get that people find the arc boring, but can we stop with the obvious hyperbole?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.