Which is the character that you don't like

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Re: Which is the character that you don't like

Post by nhienphan2808 » Mon May 24, 2021 11:28 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:20 pm
nhienphan2808 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:53 am Outside the manga, TV Special Bardock.
What do you not like about TV-Bardock? Is it because he is a dick?
He's overrated. And i just don't like his personality in general. I mean Vegeta is a dick but i like him more than any version of more sympathetic fanon Vegeta the dub and fandom made up.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Tue May 25, 2021 10:39 am

ABED wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:17 pm They don't want to see their homes destroyed but their PRIMARY goal, their raison detre, the thing that gets them up in the morning is the love of the fight. It's why they let threats live - so they can fight them. Saving the world comes second.
They also protect people, hence why they wish them back and prevent as much collateral damage as possible. They also kill threats. RR Army, Piccolo Daimou, Raditz, Frieza, Cell, Buu, Zamasu, Black -- all killed. It's not as cut and dry or black and white as you're making it out to be. Both fighting and surviving are about equally as important to them, because without survival, one can't fight ... unless you have a special arrangement with the afterlife. There are even many cases where survival is much more important than fighting. And all my points before emphasize that not everyone thinks like Goku. Not even Vegeta thinks entirely like Goku. Vegeta kills his opponents as well. The stuff you're saying applies primarily to Goku but the other characters aren't so ridiculous.
Your ONLY bit of evidence for your viewpoint is that they TALK about it, but actions speak louder than words.
False. They talk about protecting the Earth and they protect the Earth. They mitigate casualties by fighting in uninhabited places and they wish back anyone killed by the villains. Seems they both talk about and act on - protecting the Earth and its people.
Goku cared way more about winning that championship than the safety of the world.
False. Goku doesn't care about any championship. The fight itself is what's most important to him and strong opponents.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue May 25, 2021 12:16 pm

Wrong. Goku fights by the tournament rules because he doesn’t want to be disqualified even in the middle of a fight to the death. That is text that you are evading

And what about the word “primary” is seemingly so difficult for you to remember?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

BWri

Post by BWri » Tue May 25, 2021 12:43 pm

ABED wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:16 pm Wrong. Goku fights by the tournament rules because he doesn’t want to be disqualified even in the middle of a fight to the death. That is text that you are evading
Because, he doesn't want to lose the fight. The championship, as you said, doesn't matter to him.
And what about the word “primary” is seemingly so difficult for you to remember?
Nothing. You're just not making a clear point. Your distinctions aren't furthering the discussion.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue May 25, 2021 1:57 pm

BWri wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:43 pm
ABED wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:16 pm Wrong. Goku fights by the tournament rules because he doesn’t want to be disqualified even in the middle of a fight to the death. That is text that you are evading
Because, he doesn't want to lose the fight. The championship, as you said, doesn't matter to him.
Nothing. You're just not making a clear point. Your distinctions aren't furthering the discussion.
Where do you get the idea that the championship doesn’t matter to him? Why fight by the rules if he doesn’t?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

BWri

Post by BWri » Tue May 25, 2021 2:36 pm

ABED wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:57 pm Where do you get the idea that the championship doesn’t matter to him? Why fight by the rules if he doesn’t?
I don't believe it ever mattered to him if you consider the entirety of the franchise. If it mattered, I think Goku would talk about it more for one thing. He never does, but he does bring up when he fought Piccolo at the TB, but he never says "when I beat him" or "when I won the championship". It's always about the fight itself.

But even when he fights with Cell, as soon as they get a chance to ditch the rules and just have a good fight (which both think would be better without rules) they go for it without hesitation.

And if you look at the Buu saga, it doesn't take long for Goku to abandon the tournament completely when a new and potentially more fun situation appears, but also a situation linked to life and death/survival.
Why fight by the rules if he doesn’t?
Some more to say about this. He still wants to win. Losing would mean that he can't fight the next strong fighter in the bracket. The rules also add to the challenge of the fight itself. With his power so low in early DB, it was easier and more satisfying to follow the rules because he was closer to a human than a god like Kami, if that makes sense? It was easier to have less destructive fights in a small area. To have that same level of fight now would mean he'd have to massively hold back like 99.9% of his power. I don't think that would be fun for him.

How I see it is: the fight itself is Goku's main priority. Then it's winning. The championship itself has no priority to Goku. It might as well not even exist. He's not going to do anything with it, doesn't talk about it, doesn't care about glory and it grants him 0 fulfillment.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue May 25, 2021 5:04 pm

Cell Games - Gives Cell a senzu
Buu arc - crushes the potara

I think I've said all I can about this issue and I can't do any better than you proving my point, so thank you for that.

BWri

Post by BWri » Tue May 25, 2021 9:31 pm

ABED wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:04 pm Cell Games - Gives Cell a senzu
Buu arc - crushes the potara
Again, I'm not sure what you're saying. This doesn't contradict or refute anything I said.
I think I've said all I can about this issue and I can't do any better than you proving my point, so thank you for that.
Same. Thanks for the discussion.