Which is the character that you don't like

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Which is the character that you don't like

Post by BWri » Wed May 19, 2021 4:58 pm

I'm kinda starting to hate everybody in Dragon Ball. Nobody seems to do anything proactively. After years of alien and demon invasions everyone is still ill-prepared for the next invasion. No one's trying to learn Kaioken, IT, Spirit Bomb, or farming their own Sensu beans or wishing for things that could aid in the protection of the planet/universe etc. And everyone remains solitary and reclusive with their training despite being training partners in the past. No one meets for drills or strategy sessions. This stuff is always handled at the last possible minute or not at all despite happening every few months or years.

No one takes safety and security seriously and so the cast is really heading into Greek god territory where they just do whatever they want, gambling with people's lives with barely a care to how that power and influence effects others. And everyone talks a big game about protecting the Earth but no one really takes that duty seriously. Earth could have legitimately be wiped out because Goku and Vegeta don't regularly check on it from Beerus' planet. It's usually only saved because the villains have decided to take their sweet time (because plot).

Bulma's not using her brilliant mind to help out proactively either. Like everyone else, she only comes in after something bad has already happened. These guys really should be more militant at this point. Earth is always getting invaded or placed in some sort of danger. If she wanted to, Bulma could instate a planetary defense force and could pay Krillin, Tien, Yamcha, Chaozu, #18 and Videl to be on it. It's a much better use of Krillin's time than being an officer as it would force him to keep himself in shape. Goten and Trunks could even be Junior officers. Bulma could possibly even construct new cyborg tech and use it to advance the other human fighters. And if everyone trained regularly with one another, they would all get much stronger much faster as seen in the past. They could even coordinate with the Ginga Patrol.

And we've had twice now where a villain has hundreds or thousands of henchmen do their bidding and yet no one seems pressed to forge more allies to help defend the planet. Tien might be trying to do that with his dojo, but with no focus on that I can't only guess from his previous actions that it's not his focus as it should be. If for some reason the cast didn't trust "normal" folks then why don't they at least recruit more martial artists from Dragon Ball to help such as Nam, Chappa, Giran, the Crane hermit, Upa, and Bora?

DB is the only fiction I read with such uniquely irresponsible and intellectually lazy cast. Everyone just does the same stuff over and over. Like real people but worse.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 19, 2021 5:50 pm

BWri wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:58 pm I'm kinda starting to hate everybody in Dragon Ball. Nobody seems to do anything proactively. After years of alien and demon invasions everyone is still ill-prepared for the next invasion. No one's trying to learn Kaioken, IT, Spirit Bomb, or farming their own Sensu beans or wishing for things that could aid in the protection of the planet/universe etc. And everyone remains solitary and reclusive with their training despite being training partners in the past. No one meets for drills or strategy sessions. This stuff is always handled at the last possible minute or not at all despite happening every few months or years.

No one takes safety and security seriously and so the cast is really heading into Greek god territory where they just do whatever they want, gambling with people's lives with barely a care to how that power and influence effects others.
Heading? It was there since near the beginning. The safety of the Earth wasn't truly the priority.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed May 19, 2021 6:07 pm

ABED wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:50 pm Heading? It was there since near the beginning. The safety of the Earth wasn't truly the priority.
The central goal for most arcs is protecting the Earth. The point of what I was saying is that they're half-assing it. As they accumulate more power, becoming gods themselves (even mortals like possess Tien god-like power) and rubbing elbows with various cosmic forces and deities, their incompetence becomes more and more obvious.

Their goals of becoming the strongest ever of all time could go hand in hand with protecting Earth, even if they dedicated just slightly more effort to protecting said Earth.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 19, 2021 6:22 pm

BWri wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:07 pm
ABED wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:50 pm Heading? It was there since near the beginning. The safety of the Earth wasn't truly the priority.
The central goal for most arcs is protecting the Earth. The point of what I was saying is that they're half-assing it. As they accumulate more power, becoming gods themselves (even mortals like possess Tien god-like power) and rubbing elbows with various cosmic forces and deities, their incompetence becomes more and more obvious.

Their goals of becoming the strongest ever of all time could go hand in hand with protecting Earth, even if they dedicated just slightly more effort to protecting said Earth.
It seems so on the surface but Goku was more concerned by revenge than saving the world from Piccolo. That was just the byproduct. He defeats Vegeta and lets him go to have a rematch. They let Dr. Gero complete the cyborgs even though they had advenced warning. Goku put winning the 23rd TB above defeating Piccolo in the most expedient manner.

They aren't incompetent at saving the world as it's not their primary goal.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed May 19, 2021 6:29 pm

There are two characters that puts the safety above his own satisfaction and that is Future Trunks and Bulma. Bulma was the one who thought of using the Dragon Balls to locate Dr Gero lab, while the Z fighters refused to do that idea.

Future Trunks he doesn't mess around when battling and he doesn't let his opponent transform or give them a chance to power up. He doesn't risk losing, just to see who is stronger. Future Trunks doesn't let revenge blind him at all.

Edit Future Trunks was helping repair his world from the destruction that C17 and C18 caused.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 19, 2021 6:42 pm

BWri wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:58 pm I'm kinda starting to hate everybody in Dragon Ball. Nobody seems to do anything proactively. After years of alien and demon invasions everyone is still ill-prepared for the next invasion. No one's trying to learn Kaioken, IT, Spirit Bomb, or farming their own Sensu beans or wishing for things that could aid in the protection of the planet/universe etc. And everyone remains solitary and reclusive with their training despite being training partners in the past. No one meets for drills or strategy sessions. This stuff is always handled at the last possible minute or not at all despite happening every few months or years.

No one takes safety and security seriously and so the cast is really heading into Greek god territory where they just do whatever they want, gambling with people's lives with barely a care to how that power and influence effects others. And everyone talks a big game about protecting the Earth but no one really takes that duty seriously. Earth could have legitimately be wiped out because Goku and Vegeta don't regularly check on it from Beerus' planet. It's usually only saved because the villains have decided to take their sweet time (because plot).

Bulma's not using her brilliant mind to help out proactively either. Like everyone else, she only comes in after something bad has already happened. These guys really should be more militant at this point. Earth is always getting invaded or placed in some sort of danger. If she wanted to, Bulma could instate a planetary defense force and could pay Krillin, Tien, Yamcha, Chaozu, #18 and Videl to be on it. It's a much better use of Krillin's time than being an officer as it would force him to keep himself in shape. Goten and Trunks could even be Junior officers. Bulma could possibly even construct new cyborg tech and use it to advance the other human fighters. And if everyone trained regularly with one another, they would all get much stronger much faster as seen in the past. They could even coordinate with the Ginga Patrol.

And we've had twice now where a villain has hundreds or thousands of henchmen do their bidding and yet no one seems pressed to forge more allies to help defend the planet. Tien might be trying to do that with his dojo, but with no focus on that I can't only guess from his previous actions that it's not his focus as it should be. If for some reason the cast didn't trust "normal" folks then why don't they at least recruit more martial artists from Dragon Ball to help such as Nam, Chappa, Giran, the Crane hermit, Upa, and Bora?

DB is the only fiction I read with such uniquely irresponsible and intellectually lazy cast. Everyone just does the same stuff over and over. Like real people but worse.

You watched the Funimation dub didnt you?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed May 19, 2021 8:14 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:42 pm

You watched the Funimation dub didnt you?
Nope, just calling out the hypocrisy of people who are supposedly concerned with protecting the Earth.
super michael wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:29 pm There are two characters that puts the safety above his own satisfaction and that is Future Trunks and Bulma. Bulma was the one who thought of using the Dragon Balls to locate Dr Gero lab, while the Z fighters refused to do that idea.

Future Trunks he doesn't mess around when battling and he doesn't let his opponent transform or give them a chance to power up. He doesn't risk losing, just to see who is stronger. Future Trunks doesn't let revenge blind him at all.

Edit Future Trunks was helping repair his world from the destruction that C17 and C18 caused.
I agree in regards to Future Trunks, mostly. It's why he's my favorite Saiyan character. Bulma did have that good idea, but otherwise she's as laissez faire as the rest of them.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 19, 2021 9:28 pm

BWri wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:14 pm Nope, just calling out the hypocrisy of people who are supposedly concerned with protecting the Earth.
Again, it's not their biggest goal.

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed May 19, 2021 10:57 pm

ABED wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:28 pm
BWri wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:14 pm Nope, just calling out the hypocrisy of people who are supposedly concerned with protecting the Earth.
Yeah, but it is a big goal, something they're always yammering on about, so, you know, but some more effort into it. Survival is still an important theme in the series. It's up there with fighting.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 20, 2021 7:05 am

BWri wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:57 pm
ABED wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:28 pm
Yeah, but it is a big goal, something they're always yammering on about, so, you know, but some more effort into it. Survival is still an important theme in the series. It's up there with fighting.
Sure, they want to win because that means they are the better fighter. I can't stress this enough that they aren't superheroes.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu May 20, 2021 10:45 am

ABED wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:05 am
ABED wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:28 pm Again, it's not their biggest goal.
Sure, they want to win because that means they are the better fighter. I can't stress this enough that they aren't superheroes.
Well, Gohan is, sometimes.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu May 20, 2021 12:32 pm

ABED wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:28 pm Again, it's not their biggest goal.
I never said they were. I said they care about protecting the Earth, at least they say they do, so they should be more proactive about doing it by now. It's not about being a superhero, it's about doing a better job of protecting yourself and your loved ones. What's more, it would only promote more strength gain and training, not less.

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Thu May 20, 2021 12:53 pm

Jiren - poor design, bland character with little to no development. He's a McGuffin created with no effort or creativity.
Kale, Caulifla and Cabba - Had protentional to be something interesting but the characters became bland when turning super saiyan was as easy as a tickle at the back of the neck. No development and just giving them power to make them a match to fight the universe 7 team.
Zeno - stupid character played off as a joke.
Universe 2 team - Joke that could have been funny but cool. Comes off as uninspiring/uncreative and juvenile.
DBS Mai - Character brought back with out respecting consistency in story telling to the future timeline. Very awkward relationship with Future Trucks with no build up or reason.
DBS Goku - The Gary Stu of DB which has a special love and place in my art but i absolutely hate his depiction in super. I also dislike SSG, SSGB and Ultra Instinct. Very very lazy for a lazily written character. His character in the show makes it almost unbearable to watch.
TARBLE I almost forgot that character existed...honestly I don't think I have to explain why I dislike this character and how it does a huge disservice to Vegeta and how his design does not match up to what his age should be.

damn ok I'm shitting on DBS a lot so ill add some classic characters lol

DBZ Yamcha - Turned into a joke and get dumped on at every single corner.
DBZ Radiz - such a cool idea that was completely wasted and never talked about again in a non joking matter
DB most of the Red Ribbin army - This arc has always been my least fav in DB and i was never really into the characters.
Super android 17 and Dr. Myuu Lazy design, bland characters and trying to rehash old ideas.

I think I may seem pretty negative towards a lot of characters I dont like, but there is so much more i love about DB then these few, some movies and Super.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 20, 2021 5:49 pm

BWri wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:32 pm
I never said they were. I said they care about protecting the Earth, at least they say they do, so they should be more proactive about doing it by now. It's not about being a superhero, it's about doing a better job of protecting yourself and your loved ones. What's more, it would only promote more strength gain and training, not less.
The implication is that they are. Being proactive about it would make them superheroes. They put themselves in harm's way and always have to have a good battle.

Not sure how you came to that final opinion. Had they been proactive about stopping Dr. Gero, they wouldn't have to train.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu May 20, 2021 6:43 pm

Master Roshi hate all the humor surrounding this character

Nappa always found the dumb brute character to be one of my least favorite character types. Thankfully he has such a small role in the grand scheme of things.

As for the characters not being proactive and often making the same mistakes. I always thought Dragon Ball was about a bunch of flawed characters that end up as Saving the world but who aren’t really Heroes in the truest sense of the word. I think when you understand that their lack of action makes more sense.

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu May 20, 2021 7:44 pm

ABED wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:49 pm
BWri wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:32 pm
ABED wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:05 am Sure, they want to win because that means they are the better fighter. I can't stress this enough that they aren't superheroes.
The implication is that they are. Being proactive about it would make them superheroes. They put themselves in harm's way and always have to have a good battle.
That's the implication that you've created. I've implied no such thing. Being proactive about protecting oneself and one's loved ones does not make someone a superhero unless you think every human that exists in the real world is a superhero. Being proactive about securing one's home, one's self, and one's loved ones simply makes someone rational.
Not sure how you came to that final opinion. Had they been proactive about stopping Dr. Gero, they wouldn't have to train.
That's different from what I'm saying. If we apply what I'm saying to the Gero scenario it wouldn't change their refusal to preemptively murder Gero, but it would mean that they would be smarter about preparing for the androids. Training together, sharing knowledge, making sure everyone had useful skills for the big battle. More people would actively try to learn useful techniques like Shunkan Ido and Kaioken and have escape strategies when faced with enemies far stronger than themselves (humans). They'd consider using stuff like Mafuba as a last resort skill. And Bulma would be smart enough to have certain precautions ready in case they all died.

And that's just basic stuff. It's not like I'm asking them to go around to various world leaders with emergency plans or something. They should probably be doing that in Super since Earth has been invaded so many times but I know they're too reclusive and irresponsible to do that. And I know that something like that feels too "superhero-y" for the Z team, but the other stuff, nah.

And I wouldn't ask for that from the Cell arc. I think that arc serves fine as a learning experience, as does Buu, BoG, and RoF. I do think they should be more coordinated around RoF, but its fine that they aren't. However, after RoF, after U6, after FT, after US, and especially after Moro, these guys and gals should doing all that stuff I listed in my previous post and more quite frankly. You can only be caught with your pants down a few times before I think you're a bumbling idiot. I'm starting to get the feeling that the whole cast are bumbling lucky idiots which isn't a good trait with a cast that includes "smart" characters.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 20, 2021 7:51 pm

Being proactive about securing one's home, one's self, and one's loved ones simply makes someone rational.
False equivalence. They aren't protecting their home, they are protecting their entire world.
That's different from what I'm saying. If we apply what I'm saying to the Gero scenario it wouldn't change their refusal to preemptively murder Gero, but it would mean that they would be smarter about preparing for the androids.
It wouldn't require them to murder the guy. I don't know why your mind jumped to that. They had the power to stop his plans and I don't know how much more proactive you can get than that. Also, they were preparing for the fight the best way they knew how. The people who wanted to train together did. Kuririn and Yamcha and Tenshinhan didn't want to train at Goku and Piccolo's pace because they didn't think they could and thought it would be counterproductive.

They aren't defenders of the Earth no matter how much you want them to be. They don't want their homes to be destroyed but that's not their primary motivation.

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu May 20, 2021 7:59 pm

Kinokima wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:43 pm As for the characters not being proactive and often making the same mistakes. I always thought Dragon Ball was about a bunch of flawed characters that end up as Saving the world but who aren’t really Heroes in the truest sense of the word. I think when you understand that their lack of action makes more sense.
I think it works perfectly well for full-blooded Saiyans like Goku and Vegeta (mostly Goku), but it doesn't so much for the others, especially the human characters or those with more intelligence. It just magnifies the problem that they lack agency for large swaths of the story and stagnate off panel until we need them for some big inter-universal tournament then we'll dust them off and pretend they had agency the entire time to justify last minute power boosts--boosts they would get naturally if they were proactive characters and had agency. I can understand that they aren't heroes (despite them always going on about protecting the planet) but I don't think that negates any rational and pragmatic thinking regarding survival which these characters do display many times throughout the series. Even Goku has shown his rational and pragmatic survival side many times throughout the series.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 20, 2021 8:07 pm

Of course they want to protect their home, but that's the contradiction. They actively put it in danger.

If they were as pragmatic as you claim, they wouldn't let enemies go for a better fight down the road.

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

ABED wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:51 pm
Being proactive about securing one's home, one's self, and one's loved ones simply makes someone rational.
False equivalence. They aren't protecting their home, they are protecting their entire world.
I don't really understand what you're saying here. They always affectionately refer to the planet as their home. You can basically use the terms interchangeably like the characters do. If the planet goes, their symbolic homes go as does their real homes. Not sure why you're trying to draw a distinction here.
It wouldn't require them to murder the guy. I don't know why your mind jumped to that.

Because you brought up Gero randomly by saying, and I quote "Had they been proactive about stopping Dr. Gero, they wouldn't have to train." which had nothing to do with what I was saying. You said they wouldn't have to train which would imply that they preemptively killed him. Are you arguing just for the sake of arguing?
They had the power to stop his plans and I don't know how much more proactive you can get than that.
If they did the things I suggested, then the humans would be far more effective members of the team. And most if not all of them would have Shunkan Ido meaning far more mobility and of course they'd be able to find Cell faster and Piccolo could actually kill him before he got to #17. Shunkan Ido alone would have fixed most of the problems with the arc. Vegeta wouldn't have likely been a team player and wouldn't have learned it in the Cell arc so Krillin or Tien could have used it to teleport #18 away while the other flew off with #16 (if he can't be teleported).

And if they trained together during the leadup to the Cell games: Piccolo, Vegeta, and Trunks would be much much stronger. Again, I don't care that these things aren't in the Cell arc. It makes sense that they screw up a lot here. But by the time we get to Super, these guys should be a lot smarter and better prepared.
Also, they were preparing for the fight the best way they knew how. The people who wanted to train together did. Kuririn and Yamcha and Tenshinhan didn't want to train at Goku and Piccolo's pace because they didn't think they could and thought it would be counterproductive.
Only Goku, Piccolo, and Gohan trained smart. The rest probably didn't. Goku, Gohan, and Piccolo did much of the preparation I believe everyone should have. There was a massive power gap between each and yet they trained together quite effectively which not only boosted their strength drastically but also gave them an intimate familiarity with each others fighting styles, techniques, strengths, and weaknesses. I'd give them a B overall in terms of preparedness. I don't think they brought sensu with them and they didn't have any backup plans, and Goku didn't teach Piccolo any of his useful techniques but otherwise, great prep!

But the humans could have trained together and sought out King Kai. It's implied that they all trained solo which makes no sense. None of them brought sensu except for Yajirobi who arrived without communicating with anyone or dropping the beans off ahead of time. Big ol' F for the humans. They'd get a D because they all seemingly got a big boost, but Bulma drags that down by not only having no backup plans but also putting herself and the future savior in danger by being present on the battlefield. Kudos to her for thinking of the Saiyan armor at least.

And finally Vegeta. I'll give him a C- He got tons stronger but didn't even try to reach out to Goku for a sparring session. And his plan for the fight was single-minded if he had any plan at all.
They aren't defenders of the Earth no matter how much you want them to be. They don't want their homes to be destroyed but that's not their primary motivation.
They are. If the Earth is invaded or threatened in any way, they defend it. Not sure what else you think qualifies that duty.