Which is the character that you don't like

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

Which is the character that you don't like

Post by super michael » Mon May 10, 2021 6:25 am

I am curious to see who is the character that you don't like and why.

The character I really don't like is DBS Anime Chi Chi, her positive side is really small while her negative side is really big. All she does is whine, nag, throw tantrum when she doesn't get her way and force others to do what she wishes.

Chi Chi wanted to force Krillin to fight Beerus, while she does nothing. Chi Chi wanted to force Piccolo and Krillin to do Goku chores.
Chi Chi forbids 100% Goten to do any kind of training, even training with Goku is off limit. Playing with Goku is off limit at times. Goten dream to get Super Strong is forbidden.

Chi Chi even locked Pan in a room, just to keep Gohan and Mr Satan away from Pan. Chi Chi even tries to forbid Goku from training multiple times and even lies about her spending all of Mr Satan money.

While DBS Anime Goku has a lot of negative which ruins him, he also has a lot of positive to his side also.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Which is the character that you don't like

Post by PurestEvil » Mon May 10, 2021 9:49 am

Kaioshin. He is incompetent, ignorant, spineless, and just generally useless.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon May 10, 2021 9:56 am

Ribrianne and co. for being really annoying and constantly interrupting the action during the Tournament of Power. Their antics hurt the pacing and get old really fast, and it takes forever for them to be eliminated. They feel like they'd be more at home in Sailor Moon than Dragon Ball.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon May 10, 2021 10:01 am

90sDBZ wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:56 am Ribrianne and co. for being really annoying and constantly interrupting the action during the Tournament of Power. Their antics hurt the pacing and get old really fast, and it takes forever for them to be eliminated. They feel like they'd be more at home in Sailor Moon than Dragon Ball.
Well they were meant to be parodies of the magical girl anime genre.

Anyway, I would say Jiren (he's boring), and also Majin Buu (but only after he stopped being a villain). As a villain, he was terrifying, but as a good guy? He's just annoying. The only good scene he had was when he fought Moro but of course that didn't last and ultimately accomplished nothing.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon May 10, 2021 10:21 am

PurestEvil wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:49 am Kaioshin. He is incompetent, ignorant, spineless, and just generally useless.
All Kaioshin does in both the original run and DBS manga is risk his life against supervillains he has no chance against. He directly challenges Boo and Zamasu. He’s also the reason Goku and Vegeta even survive the end of the Boo arc. Whatever else he is, “spineless” is hard to make track. (Even “useless” is probably a stretch; there have been less pivotal characters, and certainly ones core cast members owe their lives to on fewer occasions.)

Re: thread: I love all characters equally except Cabba.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon May 10, 2021 10:35 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:01 am
90sDBZ wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:56 am Ribrianne and co. for being really annoying and constantly interrupting the action during the Tournament of Power. Their antics hurt the pacing and get old really fast, and it takes forever for them to be eliminated. They feel like they'd be more at home in Sailor Moon than Dragon Ball.
Well they were meant to be parodies of the magical girl anime genre.
I get that. It's just that they really overstay their welcome, and feel out of place in what's meant to be a climactic battle for survival. All their talk of love in particular just doesn't feel like Dragon Ball. Even the other characters find them irritating.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon May 10, 2021 10:52 am

90sDBZ wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:56 am. They feel like they'd be more at home in Sailor Moon than Dragon Ball.

I mean...the entire joke was that they were a parody of Sailor Moon or at least the Magical Girl super hero team genre.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 10, 2021 11:46 am

super michael wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:25 am I am curious to see who is the character that you don't like and why.

The character I really don't like is DBS Anime Chi Chi, her positive side is really small while her negative side is really big. All she does is whine, nag, throw tantrum when she doesn't get her way and force others to do what she wishes.

Chi Chi wanted to force Krillin to fight Beerus, while she does nothing. Chi Chi wanted to force Piccolo and Krillin to do Goku chores.
Chi Chi forbids 100% Goten to do any kind of training, even training with Goku is off limit. Playing with Goku is off limit at times. Goten dream to get Super Strong is forbidden.

Chi Chi even locked Pan in a room, just to keep Gohan and Mr Satan away from Pan. Chi Chi even tries to forbid Goku from training multiple times and even lies about her spending all of Mr Satan money.

While DBS Anime Goku has a lot of negative which ruins him, he also has a lot of positive to his side also.
Honestly, even though Chi Chi in DBZ has some annoying moments at times she was actually better written for the most part compared to the Super anime version of her character. They really played up her nagging and overbearing education mama-ness to absurd levels and it makes me like her much less, though in the Super manga she was written much better with little to none of these over the top things.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon May 10, 2021 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon May 10, 2021 11:53 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:52 am I mean...the entire joke was that they were a parody of Sailor Moon or at least the Magical Girl super hero team genre.
I get that. I just don't find them particularly funny or amusing. At most it could have worked as a 1 episode gag. Everytime they show up during the ToP the pacing comes to a screeching halt just so they can do their dumb routine for the umpteenth time. I roll my eyes and think "Not this again. Can't they get eliminated already".

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Mon May 10, 2021 3:56 pm

Jiren: Really boring nothing character with a pretty ugly design and nothing honestly going for him
Zamasu: execution wise they really fumble what could have been a phenomenal villain. Conceptually fantastic
Zeno: Probably my least favorite, just too high of authority and power who just takes away from the fun Dragon world.
Grand Priest: Like him more than Zeno and don't fully hate him but his scale is again just too high for me to enjoy too much honestly.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Mon May 10, 2021 4:19 pm

Almost all of them are bad and poorly written in one way or another, but the series has a certain charm to it that it makes me actually care about these horrible people. They either have funny moments, look really cool, or are just badasses with cool fights and techniques. So my most hated character is the one that doesn't fit in any of those categories: most of the movie villains. They're all one-note, boring, forgettable looking nobodies with 0 personality.

Saiyan Emperor

Post by Saiyan Emperor » Tue May 11, 2021 12:21 am

Kami. He did nothing to stop King Piccolo during both of his reigns of terror. It was his responsibility to deal with him even if it cost him his life

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Tue May 11, 2021 10:37 am

I've made my peace with all the characters in the original manga run. I may be frustrated with where the story took them but ultimately they all have enough redeeming qualities that I can't actually dislike them.

Outside the manga is a different story. Case in point. I hate Tarble. Everything about him feels like the worst kind of fanfictiony fanservice. Vegeta (who was like eight when the homeworld was Freeza'd) has a little brother he's just never mentioned despite being super close and knowing everything about each other? At least actual fanfiction usually had the decency to make the long lost sibling someone Vegeta didn't know or a fraternal twin.

I'm also not big on Gine but there's nothing about her to get mad at. There's just also nothing there to care about either.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Tue May 11, 2021 10:48 am

I'm thinking but nobody comes to mind. Maybe it's because I can't hate on characters. If a character doesn't interest me I just leave it and stay neutral. There are probably characters that I find annoying but I'm not hating on them.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue May 11, 2021 1:47 pm

Surprisingly I don't hate any character. Naturally there are a lot of characters that annoy me, so like for example whenever I see Ribrianne on-screen I roll my eyes, but I wouldn't say that I HATE her. That's too strong of a word for a fictional character.

I don't hate specific characters but I do hate when specific characters do certain things, like that Roshi moment in the ToP arc where he tried to abuse/assault a female competitor, forcing her to quit the competition. Or whenever Goku acts like a literal idiot/brat (like when he first meets Zamasu).

Also I am conflicted about Gowasu, on one hand I like his memes and general personality, on the other hand he's just so clueless about everything and everyone.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue May 11, 2021 5:26 pm

I honestly dislike Gotenks and Kid Trunks. Both make my ears my bleed.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue May 11, 2021 6:56 pm

Chi-Chi is easily the first character that comes to mind. The whole sequence after the initial Vegeta fight is what does it, when she actively ignores Goku, and even antagonises him a bit, while only focusing on Gohan. It's not just a ha-ha funny gag with no weight, either, it goes on for a really long time and Krillin and Yajirobe even call her out on it. It's an awful moment that makes her really unlikeable for me, and it's difficult for me to look past it when seeing Chi-Chi in any other scene after it. (Toei added more terrible behaviour by Chi-Chi in both the Z anime and the Super anime, but this happened in the original manga and is "unavoidable".)
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Tue May 11, 2021 11:41 pm

Honest Answer of who I Dislike in the DB Franchise overall:

Nobody.

But I honestly have a story behind having a philosophy and viewpoint like that has stayed with me for my time getting into any franchise I want to get into.

Way back in 2011, I was getting back into Comic Books big time, Mostly Marvel dominated my fandom by 2012. During my Reading I ended up Hating Scott Summers aka Cyclops of the X-Men and how he had been written for the last few years. I always critizied his character and his actions in the present writing at that time.

But one post on a forum one day from one of his fans in around 2013 made me stop and really think about disliking nost just his charcter, but all characters in general. The Fan mostly put their post as;

I should not be judging Scott just based on his current written style, I should be taking much more of his history and not just overall judge him on the current writing alone, he has more history and his character should be seen threw those canon lenses and to understand who he truly is to his most loyal fans. That was more or less on how they said it.

Honestly the Stuck with me hard to this day, I was also defending other characters at the time and why should I not be giving the same understanding to characters like Scott that I wanted for my own favorites?! That is when I stopped truly disliking or hating fictional characters.

I find putting the disliking on the shelf and letting my mind go, it allows me to experiance all the characters and concepts of a Franchise much more fully and gain much wisdom, canon and indeed characters into my lexicon of fandom with each read and each watch.

I save my dislikes for real people and problems, so Indeed that is why I say Nobady in DB do I dislike like I say that as the same with Comics, Movies, other Animes, etc.

The only things I am not found of and wish where not done are truly horrible concepts given to a character that makes them look really bad and gross. The one that truly made me feel this way the most was The "Training" Master Roshi did with Puar before the ToP, I found that really, really unpleasently wrong and just down right wrong to have been done to both characters, it was not funny, just gross.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Wed May 12, 2021 1:12 am

super michael wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:25 am While DBS Anime Goku has a lot of negative which ruins him, he also has a lot of positive to his side also.
basically it's the same chichi Z - DBS
when she forbade gohan to go to namek or when she did not want goku to train in the android saga

--------------------
I would also say that chichi ....
and besides her I would say that shin in a hopeless case has only been a useless in general the same kibito too

Paikuhan ... too much like piccolo

From the current Dragon Ball
Tagoma ... it was tried to give it a development but it disappears so fast that it is really wasted
a case similar to shin is cabba ... its existence is unnecessary .. once you think about it, the promise to visit sadala is something that was never realized and therefore .. the character does not contribute anything

Merus very mary sue they even revived him

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed May 12, 2021 1:39 am

CJStriker_CBR wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:41 pm I should not be judging Scott just based on his current written style, I should be taking much more of his history and not just overall judge him on the current writing alone, he has more history and his character should be seen threw those canon lenses and to understand who he truly is to his most loyal fans. That was more or less on how they said it.

This is a very important point, thank you for stating this.

To understand the truth, you must put aside the current writing and explore the long history of the characters. Only then can you begin to make any kind of sound judgements. Nowhere is this truer than in the world of comic books.

Of course, where something like Dragon Ball Super is concerned, all of that should go without saying.

The only things I am not found of and wish where not done are truly horrible concepts given to a character that makes them look really bad and gross. The one that truly made me feel this way the most was The "Training" Master Roshi did with Puar before the ToP, I found that really, really unpleasently wrong and just down right wrong to have been done to both characters, it was not funny, just gross.
It's just like you said. To truly judge Roshi's character, one must know and understand his previous history, and not dwell on his current writing so much.