Which is the character that you don't like

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Re: Which is the character that you don't like

Post by Cursed Lemon » Thu May 13, 2021 7:49 pm

I hate Goten and Trunks because the writers are dead set on making me hate them.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu May 13, 2021 8:22 pm

East Kaioshin. Don't get me started with that purple fucker.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri May 14, 2021 5:02 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:22 pm East Kaioshin. Don't get me started with that purple fucker.
We share a common ground then!
Honestly, how can a deity of his position NOT know how powerful the three Saiyans who helped beat Freeza and Cell were? Especially considering he KNEW about their victories and planned to use them against BUU? He should probably have paid some damn attention to them.
Let's not get into his STUPID decision to prevent Vegeta from blowing up Babidi's ship because "it could release Buu from his shell", even though Buu would have been SIGNIFICANTLY weaker and much more easier to handle, especially with SSJ3 Goku (something Kaioshin should have KNOWN ABOUT)!
Useless-sama.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri May 14, 2021 5:12 am

PurestEvil wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:02 am
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:22 pm East Kaioshin. Don't get me started with that purple fucker.
Honestly, how can a deity of his position NOT know how powerful the three Saiyans who helped beat Freeza and Cell were? Especially considering he KNEW about their victories and planned to use them against BUU? He should probably have paid some damn attention to them.
Let's not get into his STUPID decision to prevent Vegeta from blowing up Babidi's ship because "it could release Buu from his shell", even though Buu would have been SIGNIFICANTLY weaker and much more easier to handle, especially with SSJ3 Goku (something Kaioshin should have KNOWN ABOUT)!
Useless-sama.
Or how someone who could oneshot Frieza, wouldn't just do that and free countless worlds from his tyranny/dictatorship. And thus at the same time also end the wars that Frieza was conducting.

Oh No, I know why, it's because the Gods have this fantastic law that says Kais can't intervene against ningens, even though they could destroy evil.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri May 14, 2021 5:29 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:12 am
PurestEvil wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:02 am
Useless-sama.
Or how someone who could oneshot Frieza, wouldn't just do that and free countless worlds from his tyranny/dictatorship. And thus at the same time also end the wars that Frieza was conducting.

Oh No, I know why, it's because the Gods have this fantastic law that says Kais can't intervene against ningens, even though they could destroy evil.
Well, considering how close Goku and co became with the divine bureaucracy, I think that law may be bent around a little...

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri May 14, 2021 1:07 pm

So are you guys saying that if Cabba became all buffed up and muscular like Broly you'd suddenly like him?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri May 14, 2021 1:38 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:07 pm So are you guys saying that if Cabba became all buffed up and muscular like Broly you'd suddenly like him?
He doesn't need to be extremely buff, just some muscles is enough. Imagine if Cabba gets SSG which makes the user even more slim, that would make Cabba even more pathetic than he already looks.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri May 14, 2021 2:32 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:07 pm So are you guys saying that if Cabba became all buffed up and muscular like Broly you'd suddenly like him?
Not like Broly, but like Shallot, yes. He would have a much better design, which may contribute to someone's overall enjoyment of a character.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri May 14, 2021 2:38 pm

People would certainly not view him as a dweeb

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri May 14, 2021 5:20 pm

I guess, Cabba is one of those rare cases in DB, where a non-threatening fella ends up being non-threatening. His power, personality and performance matches his looks.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri May 14, 2021 10:38 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:12 am and besides her I would say that shin in a hopeless case has only been a useless in general the same kibito too
Once again, characters who are only alive because of Shin:

Gohan (Boo arc)
Goku and Vegeta (Boo arc)
Goku (GT)
Also kind of everyone (GT)
Future Trunks and Mai (DBS manga; twice over, actually; the one native to the timeline in flashback, and the one from the main timeline during the arc)
Merus (DBS manga)

Main villains he has thrown hands with: Boo, Zamasu

There’s fun had at the expense of his lack of knowledge in the Boo arc, but the idea that he never contributes just isn’t germane to the text.
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:29 pm I don't get why everyone seems to hate Cabba. Is it because he's a Saiyan that's not a battle junkie like the rest of them?
He’s extremely boring. His entirely personality is like the straight-man character to a more rambunctious partner, but very rarely does he ever get to pull through on that dynamic when alongside Caulifla and Kale.

It’s worse in the anime where a substantial portion of his character is dedicated to fawning over Vegeta.

DB characters can be anything, but they should probably never be that dull.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Fri May 14, 2021 11:53 pm

Cipher wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:38 pm
Tai Lung wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:12 am and besides her I would say that shin in a hopeless case has only been a useless in general the same kibito too
Once again, characters who are only alive because of Shin:
we are aware that if shin hadn't underestimated the saiyans in the first place despite seeing gohan transform into tournament ... buu would not have been born

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sat May 15, 2021 2:39 am

Vegeta. Super* made me dislike him. I feel like he is forced on me as a reader and I don't like it. I'd rather see Piccolo or Gohan than Vegeta again and again and again and again. Goku is the MC, so he has to be in a center (but Z did it waaaaaay better).

*and his fans... They are always unsatissfied and whine all the time.

Goten and Trunks. Again, Super made me dislike them, they're forever stuck as kids and they even looks younger than their Boo Arc counterparts. I'm just sick of them (being kids for eternity).

Ribrianne... When Super "dedicated" episodes to her fight I... I just skipped parts of the episode to get rid of her. It was the first time in my life that I did something like that while watching Dragon Ball.

Caulifla. I don't like her character. She has very nice design but girl is written horribly, irritating. And Kefla is the same. Kale is cute, I like her very much (except that stupid "SON GOKUH!!!!" thing... but let's not talk about it).
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat May 15, 2021 3:23 am

Tai Lung wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:53 pm we are aware that if shin hadn't underestimated the saiyans in the first place despite seeing gohan transform into tournament ... buu would not have been born
Boo wouldn’t have been revived had Goku and Vegeta not gotten cocky and prioritized their own fight.

He winds up saving multiple main cast members after the main cast members themselves have gotten into trouble by repeatedly ignoring his plans. (The story provides reasonable grounds for them to ignore them, but never in such a way that makes Shin out to be useless—his plan was valid but its optics to the Saiyans were not.)

Heck, he does more to bail the cast out in his introductory arc than Trunks does.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat May 15, 2021 9:05 am

Anime Kale is AWFUL. Thank God the manga made her significantly less weird and pathetic. One of the few things Toyotaro did better.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 15, 2021 9:40 am

Grimlock wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:32 pm
Not like Broly, but like Shallot, yes. He would have a much better design, which may contribute to someone's overall enjoyment of a character.
But why? It's not like muscle mass is that functional in DB.

I''m unoriginal - Chichi is the one character I dislike. She's boring and she's shrill. It's an awful combo.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat May 15, 2021 11:25 am

ABED wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:40 amBut why? It's not like muscle mass is that functional in DB.
It isn't. But let's say Shallot and Cabba were both introduced at the same time to the viewers (which they kinda were (?) if I remember correctly). We don't know anything about them, but I would invest more on Shallot initially, because I find his design to be a lot a better than Cabba's.

My investment wouldn't be in vain, because I would later learn that Shallot is also in a much better context (ancient Saiyan, possibly attached to the original Super Saiyan God and etc) than Cabba, who showed up just to be in tournaments. They tried to come up with a subplot about him being Vegeta's pupil, but that hasn't been properly done or anything really.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat May 15, 2021 1:48 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:05 am Anime Kale is AWFUL.
Have to agree on this one. She combined the worst female archetype of generic anime with obnoxious Broly references. The manga version, while not spectacular, is at least her own character.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 15, 2021 2:09 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:25 am
ABED wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:40 amBut why? It's not like muscle mass is that functional in DB.
It isn't. But let's say Shallot and Cabba were both introduced at the same time to the viewers (which they kinda were (?) if I remember correctly). We don't know anything about them, but I would invest more on Shallot initially, because I find his design to be a lot a better than Cabba's.

My investment wouldn't be in vain, because I would later learn that Shallot is also in a much better context (ancient Saiyan, possibly attached to the original Super Saiyan God and etc) than Cabba, who showed up just to be in tournaments. They tried to come up with a subplot about him being Vegeta's pupil, but that hasn't been properly done or anything really.
I don't really care that much about the overall design. That's not why I emotionally attach to a character and I could give a damn about the original Super Saiyan God. It's dumb lore BS. Why is that worth getting emotionally attached to exposition?

The seeds have been planted for Cabba to become Vegeta's pupil, Nothing has been improperly done.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat May 15, 2021 5:56 pm

'Filler' Gohan and Kuririn. Not normally written Gohan and Kuririn, they're among my favourite characters. No, I'm talking about the anime versions, specifically during fight scene padding when they sit there making the endless running commentaries of nothing but the same shitty lines to fill out for time, you know the ones. "S-sonna bakana!", "Hayai!", "Sugeiiiii!", "Otosan!" and generally pointless dissection of Goku's every miniscule action that we can clearly see with our eyes. Kuririn really reaches peak searing annoyance in the Tournament of Power, not helped at all by the fact that we waste so much time on his determination to get back in the game (including that entire mini arc to himself immediately prior to the recruitment portion of the main arc) only for him to get K.O'd immediately. For the rest of the arc, he's sitting there screeching and overreacting at the action going on in front of him. What a waste of Mayumi Tanaka's talent.

The same good/bad writing dichotomy theoretically applies to any character, but Kuririn and Gohan suffer the most from fillerific padding throughout the franchise, to the point where that's their entire identities to some fans who idolise the Saiyan/Namek/Freeza arc period.