Top 10 worst Dragon Ball dubs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Top 10 worst Dragon Ball dubs

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 17, 2021 8:52 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:47 am
OmegaRockman wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:41 am
kei17 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:31 am Speaking of the legitimacy of the Speedy dub, I'm not sure about the old English dub on VCDs, but their later DVD release containing their new Malay dub has got Toei Animation's company logo on covers and it's sponsored by Sharp, a Japanese company. I don't think it was a bootleg release. My guess is that they did obtain the license officially but used questionable masters given by a Hong Kong company.
Is it possible that some of their dubs were licensed but others weren't? Because they also did dubs of Super Sentai shows like Jetman and Kamen Rider that also have gaps in the M&E tracks, pointing to at least some amount of shenanigans going on. Their Kamen Rider '71 dub even used Kikuchi's DBZ music in at least one instance, which strangely works since Kikuchi also did the original score for that series!
Wait, really? That's actually pretty cool, not gonna lie.
They also did some select episodes of Sailor Moon and some of the Doraemon movies, and the acting in those is about as laughably awful as the DBZ films.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9nJtOE6TO5U&t=32s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HY5g8YQrXtE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KMYAL7LvEw0&t=40s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cwa5FaCt0BU&t=16s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ld8FKRV2cWc&t=404s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qqGQNa9If_w
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon May 17, 2021 6:44 pm

kei17 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:31 am Speaking of the legitimacy of the Speedy dub, I'm not sure about the old English dub on VCDs, but their later DVD release containing their new Malay dub has got Toei Animation's company logo on covers and it's sponsored by Sharp, a Japanese company. I don't think it was a bootleg release. My guess is that they did obtain the license officially but used questionable masters given by a Hong Kong company.
Is it possible that some of their dubs were licensed but others weren't? Because they also did dubs of Super Sentai shows like Jetman and Kamen Rider that also have gaps in the M&E tracks, pointing to at least some amount of shenanigans going on. Their Kamen Rider '71 dub even used Kikuchi's DBZ music in at least one instance, which strangely works since Kikuchi also did the original score for that series!
It is possible that their old products were all bootlegs, and they started to legally obtain licenses years later. There were a lot of such cases in Southeast Asian countries such as the publisher of Dragon Ball manga in Vietnam signing an official contract with Shueisha after selling pirated manga books for years.

That video clip of Kamen Rider is interesting. I guess they used that piece of music (M1315) because it plays in a scene without any SFXs in the movie, so they could easily rip it from the M&E audio. FYI, they used DBZ music in Doraemon, too.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 17, 2021 7:04 pm

kei17 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:44 pm
It is possible that their old products were all bootlegs, and they started to legally obtain licenses years later. There were a lot of such cases in Southeast Asian countries such as the publisher of Dragon Ball manga in Vietnam signing an official contract with Shueisha after selling pirated manga books for years.

That video clip of Kamen Rider is interesting. I guess they used that piece of music (M1315) because it plays in a scene without any SFXs in the movie, so they could easily rip it from the M&E audio. FYI, they used DBZ music in Doraemon, too.
Their old VCD products like the DBZ movies and other stuff were definitely bootlegs, the acting and everything else in a technical sense is of such substandard or worse levels that there's no way this dub was legit. It really surprised me that they somehow got hold of the M&E tracks that the Cantonese dub used and apparently must have acquired them through some connection they had over there.

GrandpaFrieza123

Post by GrandpaFrieza123 » Tue May 18, 2021 5:46 am

No dub can surpass the sheer beauty of the Big Green dub and the Speedy dub.
On his 18th birthday, Goku (Justin Chatwin) receives a mystical Dragonball as a gift from his grandfather. There are only six others like it in the whole world, and legend has it that whomever possesses all seven will be granted one perfect wish. When the arrival of a dark force triggers a tragedy, Goku and his companions (Chow Yun-Fat, Emmy Rossum) are propelled into an epic quest to collect the seven Dragonballs and save the Earth from destruction.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:29 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:05 pm In my opinion, the top 10 dubs, from best to worst, are -

1. Original Japanese version
2. FUNimation Kai English dub
3. Latin American Spanish dub
4. FUNimation Z English dub
5. European Portuguese dub
6. AB Groupe English dub
7. Ocean dub
8. Bang Zoom! DBS English dub'
9. Arabic dub
10. Malaysian dub

I'll go into why I chose these in later posts. Starting with the Japanese version.

The voice acting is phenomenal. Masako Nozawa, Ryo Horikawa, Toshio Furukawa, Mayumi Tanaka, and the rest all did fantastic jobs at doing their voices. Then there's the music. The Kikuchi score features some of the best songs to ever come out of an anime soundtrack. The Tokunaga score for GT felt like a true successor to the Kikuchi soundtrack, especially the Vegeta vs Gohan theme. I haven't even gotten to the video game soundtracks! In the Japanese version of BT3, rather than recycling Yamamoto's music from the Budokai games, it features actual music from DBZ (and two other pieces from the Dragon Ball franchise and GT where appropriate) as composed by Shunsuke Kikuchi. And finally, it's the original version! This is where Dragon Ball came from, and I can see why a lot of people, like myself, like this version.
How many dubs did you check out?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:38 am

Since the Speedy dub is apparently just a bootleg and not an official release, it might not be fair to include that when discussing this topic.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:01 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:29 am
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:05 pm In my opinion, the top 10 dubs, from best to worst, are -

6. AB Groupe English dub
7. Ocean dub
9. Arabic dub
10. Malaysian dub

I'll go into why I chose these in later posts. Starting with the Japanese version.

The voice acting is phenomenal. Masako Nozawa, Ryo Horikawa, Toshio Furukawa, Mayumi Tanaka, and the rest all did fantastic jobs at doing their voices. Then there's the music. The Kikuchi score features some of the best songs to ever come out of an anime soundtrack. The Tokunaga score for GT felt like a true successor to the Kikuchi soundtrack, especially the Vegeta vs Gohan theme. I haven't even gotten to the video game soundtracks! In the Japanese version of BT3, rather than recycling Yamamoto's music from the Budokai games, it features actual music from DBZ (and two other pieces from the Dragon Ball franchise and GT where appropriate) as composed by Shunsuke Kikuchi. And finally, it's the original version! This is where Dragon Ball came from, and I can see why a lot of people, like myself, like this version.
Every dub that I just listed, along with the Valencian and Catalan ones

also Hebrew
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Grande Pesquisador

Post by Grande Pesquisador » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:47 pm

It is worth mentioning the Dragon Ball Super's brazilian dub. I put it among the worst because of the wasted potential. When the new series hit Cartoon Network in July 2017, 95% of the classic voice actors were cast. However, the Unidub studio chose to de-characterize the characters by adding "cool" slang at all times. Even the old Broly was mentioned by Muten Roshi. What a waste...

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:06 pm

Grande Pesquisador wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:47 pm It is worth mentioning the Dragon Ball Super's brazilian dub. I put it among the worst because of the wasted potential. When the new series hit Cartoon Network in July 2017, 95% of the classic voice actors were cast. However, the Unidub studio chose to de-characterize the characters by adding "cool" slang at all times. Even the old Broly was mentioned by Muten Roshi. What a waste...
They

w h a t

that's even worse than FUNimation and Toei's antics combined, and the only thing they did on this level was shitty jokes (FUNi), old dub references (FUNi), a Dragon Ball Raging Blast reference in Xenoverse 2 (maybe Bandai Namco America) and DragonBall Z Abridged references (Toei)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:50 pm

Grande Pesquisador wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:47 pm It is worth mentioning the Dragon Ball Super's brazilian dub. I put it among the worst because of the wasted potential. When the new series hit Cartoon Network in July 2017, 95% of the classic voice actors were cast. However, the Unidub studio chose to de-characterize the characters by adding "cool" slang at all times. Even the old Broly was mentioned by Muten Roshi. What a waste...
Whaaaaa??? Ok, i can't even begin to wrap my head around this. So apparently someone over there thought it was a good idea to have hip speak thrown in left and right? Here i thought the things done in the old FUNi dub like "Mondo Cool!!!" and "KRILLIN'S IN DA HOOOOOUSE!!!!!" was bad but this here sounds beyond god awful.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:26 am

The old Broly was mentioned? What was his line and do you have other examples?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:27 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:01 am
sangofe wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:29 am

6. AB Groupe English dub
7. Ocean dub
9. Arabic dub
10. Malaysian dub

Every dub that I just listed, along with the Valencian and Catalan ones

also Hebrew
OK. So it's a very incomplete list then.

Grande Pesquisador

Post by Grande Pesquisador » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:19 am

sangofe wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:26 am

The scene belongs to episode 101. In the japanese audio, Muten Roshi says something like:

"We got separated when that Saiyan girl went crazy."

In Brazilian dub, he says the following:

"We got separated when that Saiyan girl imitated Broly and destroyed everything."

Another example I can tell you is Vegeta says that Goku Black has a fighting power of over 8000. I don't remember the exact episode number.

Now that I remember, Ro Kaiohshin makes a reference to Jesus Christ during the arc of the Battle of Gods.

It was a very strange thing to follow this dub. Alamo's dub of Dragon Ball Z is very accurate in relation to the original language, there weren't these invented dialogues and "cool" slang.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:49 pm

Grande Pesquisador wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:19 am
sangofe wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:26 am

The scene belongs to episode 101. In the japanese audio, Muten Roshi says something like:

"We got separated when that Saiyan girl went crazy."

In Brazilian dub, he says the following:

"We got separated when that Saiyan girl imitated Broly and destroyed everything."

Another example I can tell you is Vegeta says that Goku Black has a fighting power of over 8000. I don't remember the exact episode number.

Now that I remember, Ro Kaiohshin makes a reference to Jesus Christ during the arc of the Battle of Gods.

It was a very strange thing to follow this dub. Alamo's dub of Dragon Ball Z is very accurate in relation to the original language, there weren't these invented dialogues and "cool" slang.
This makes me want to start a petition to ask Venus Centre and/or possibly Spacetoon to fully redub the entire series, after DBS, and starting where they left off with Dragon Ball, then Z, then GT, then Kai and the movies.