Have Dragon Ball movies peaked in terms of the box office?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Have Dragon Ball movies peaked in terms of the box office?

Post by WittyUsername » Thu May 13, 2021 12:21 am

Does anyone suppose that the upcoming movie has any chance of outgrossing Broly or is that as high as it will get? I’m asking this mainly because that Demon Slayer movie has been doing gangbusters since it was released last Fall. Obviously, I wouldn’t expect the next Dragon Ball movie to make as much as that, but it makes the success of Broly look pretty minuscule in comparison.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Re: Have Dragon Ball movies peaked in terms of the box office?

Post by Retan » Thu May 13, 2021 12:47 am

Demon slayer definitely used the perfect storm to do what it did

But I think Dragonball can still do better numbers in the U.S for sure as the kids who grew up with it over here are having kids of their own and
are beginning to share it with them. All funi and toei have to really do is release it in more theatres (and promote it on tv)

Japan is a tougher guess even though it's certainly one of Japans most beloved franchises even to this day

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu May 13, 2021 1:35 am

WittyUsername wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:21 am Does anyone suppose that the upcoming movie has any chance of outgrossing Broly or is that as high as it will get? I’m asking this mainly because that Demon Slayer movie has been doing gangbusters since it was released last Fall. Obviously, I wouldn’t expect the next Dragon Ball movie to make as much as that, but it makes the success of Broly look pretty minuscule in comparison.
Dude, Weathering with You, Your Name, most Detective Conan films make dbs broly look miniscule by comparison whatcha talkin 🤣

Maybe dbs/current gen DB fans may prefer dbs broly & hail it as greatest db film of all time, etc. So the thought of nxt muvie out-doing dbS Broly is natural.

From a neutral standpoint, who watched those films I listed out, dbs broly is nothin. In terms of plot, a rehash of 3 other dbz arcs. Fights & animation could be sole highlight.

Coming back to topic as big as dbz is in Japan, it has to cater to wider section of audiences, instead of just focusing on a single demographic audience. Guess that's why Your Name, Weathering with You etc did financially better at Box Office.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun May 16, 2021 12:00 pm

There's no reason subsequent films shouldn't have a mainstream wide release. Broly was in more theatres than previous ones but it was still quite limited.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.