Would you like to see a GT remake?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Would you like to see a GT remake?

Post by Grimlock » Fri May 14, 2021 2:26 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:02 pmwhat story in GT is compelling enough to be worth retelling,
Baby saga and the Shadow Dragons saga.
Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:02 pmwhat character is compelling enough for an updated depiction,
Baby and the Shadow Dragons.
Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:02 pmwhat fight is compelling enough to warrant a serious production/choreography makeover?
Saiyans vs Tsufurujins (past)/Saiyans vs a Tsufurujin (present). All of the Shadow Dragons, implementing more elemental techniques to them. Taking full inspiration from Avatar, if possible.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri May 14, 2021 2:34 pm

We're gonna have to agree to disagree there.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed May 19, 2021 5:46 am

I have an idea couldn't they remake GT which connects with DBS and uses DBO story? GT had some great ideas like adventure in space, Bebi, C17 brain wash and turning into Super 17 and the Shadow Dragons.
Heck having all the fights from Hell escape to fight in the living world was good.

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kappa » Wed May 19, 2021 3:32 pm

super michael wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:46 am I have an idea couldn't they remake GT which connects with DBS and uses DBO story? GT had some great ideas like adventure in space, Bebi, C17 brain wash and turning into Super 17 and the Shadow Dragons.
Heck having all the fights from Hell escape to fight in the living world was good.
That's a good idea! I would love to see a fusion of DBO and GT. Seeing Goten and Trunks with swords, the time patrol, Super 17, etc. in canon would be awesome!

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed May 19, 2021 4:05 pm

There's no need. I wouldn't mind them repackaging some GT ideas though. Majuub, Shadow Dragons, Baby and SSJ4 would be fantastic in the main series. As far as a sequel goes, I'd want something completely new, more in the vein of DBO though.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu May 20, 2021 12:51 pm

Kappa wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:11 pm Would you guys like it if Toriyama/Toyotaro reimagined GT after Super ends? Why/why not?

I personally like GT as it is, but I think some of the concepts in it could have been executed better. So I'd be all for it.

(If you want, you can also list changes you'd like them to make).
I'd rather have them write new material.

I wouldn't mind seeing Z reanimated as a seasonal TV series, though, with a huge production budget so it's the same quality as the DBS Broly movie.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri May 21, 2021 3:40 pm

The GT character designs are outdated with bad fashion from the 90s in my opinion. If they did a remake of GT, they would need to give them better clothes.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Shobijin 小美人

Post by Shobijin 小美人 » Fri May 21, 2021 5:36 pm

If they could put it through a rewrite to make it less fanfictiony, then maybe. But that would probably require making it a completely different show, which Super kind of already did to mixed results.

I think Giru/Gill should get his own miniseries manga, though. :D

Buutama42

Post by Buutama42 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:21 pm

I'd rather see a recut like the one I made rather than a remake. GT is one of the last times we got to hear Stephanie Nadolny as Goku. This is a personal bias for me, but I prefer Nadolny over Colleen Clinkenbeard. That's not to say Clinkenbeard does a bad job at Goku (she did a good job as GT Goku in FighterZ), but I simply prefer Nadolny for Goku. I think the biggest issue with GT was mostly the pacing. With my recut, I managed to cut out Super 17 and most of the Black Star Dragon Ball Saga. Some fights or scenes went on too long, so I shortened most of them. The biggest change I made was giving Gogeta the win against Omega Shenron, which was something I wish happened in the actual GT show.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:53 pm

Peach wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:32 pm Yes.

But instead of a series, I want it as a set of movies.
No, I feel like 64 episodes is too long to condense into four 90 minute films.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:01 pm

Buutama42 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:21 pm I'd rather see a recut like the one I made rather than a remake. GT is one of the last times we got to hear Stephanie Nadolny as Goku. This is a personal bias for me, but I prefer Nadolny over Colleen Clinkenbeard. That's not to say Clinkenbeard does a bad job at Goku (she did a good job as GT Goku in FighterZ), but I simply prefer Nadolny for Goku. I think the biggest issue with GT was mostly the pacing. With my recut, I managed to cut out Super 17 and most of the Black Star Dragon Ball Saga. Some fights or scenes went on too long, so I shortened most of them. The biggest change I made was giving Gogeta the win against Omega Shenron, which was something I wish happened in the actual GT show.
You made a GT recut?? I wanna see! :D :D :D

Buutama42

Post by Buutama42 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:27 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:01 pm
Buutama42 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:21 pm I'd rather see a recut like the one I made rather than a remake. GT is one of the last times we got to hear Stephanie Nadolny as Goku. This is a personal bias for me, but I prefer Nadolny over Colleen Clinkenbeard. That's not to say Clinkenbeard does a bad job at Goku (she did a good job as GT Goku in FighterZ), but I simply prefer Nadolny for Goku. I think the biggest issue with GT was mostly the pacing. With my recut, I managed to cut out Super 17 and most of the Black Star Dragon Ball Saga. Some fights or scenes went on too long, so I shortened most of them. The biggest change I made was giving Gogeta the win against Omega Shenron, which was something I wish happened in the actual GT show.
You can find it on Reddit.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:55 pm

I remember when I wrote my own GT remake, this is how I did it:

Fix any plot holes of Pilaf finding about the Black Star Dragon Balls
Goku, Goten, Trunks, Uub, and Pan go to space together
You get to more of the after math on what happen to the fall of Freeza's empire in the galaxy
I did a retelling of DBZ Movie 6 by having Goku, Goten, Trunks, Uub and Pan go to Namek to find a BSDB
Baby uses the Dragon Balls on Earth to restore Planet Plant, and use it to rule the Galaxy
Vegeta dies when Baby dies
No Piccolo death
Goku wishes back to an adult afterwards
No Super 17
We have a new original cyborg instead
Have each Z fighter fight their own Shadow Dragon with a wish tie in with them.

For example:

Goku vs. One Star Dragon (Was born from the underwear wish instead. You would be connecting the first villain to the last)
Goten & Trunks vs. Two Star Dragon (I can't think of anything for this one)
Uub vs. Three Star Dragon (Same wish in the actual series)
Gohan vs. Four Star Dragon (Was born from the wish in DBZ Movie 1)
Piccolo vs. Five Star Dragon (Same wish in the actual series)
#18 vs. Six Star Dragon (Was born by the wish to remove the bombs inside #17 and #18)
Vegeta vs. Seven Star Dragon (Same wish in the actual series)
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:47 pm

Given Freeza's empire fell years prior, what's the point in bringing it up?

And audiences don't really care about plot holes.

Anyway, no, I wouldn't like to see a remake of GT. GT happened, let's move forward,
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheFallenProfit

Post by TheFallenProfit » Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:03 pm

No because they would ruin all of the great ideas and concepts Gt introduced, if they do anything related to Gt I'd rather them do a series during the 100 year timeskip, there are a lot of creative ideas and unique situations they could come up with since it's left almost completely open ended.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:20 pm

Buutama42 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:27 am
Send a link pls

Buutama42

Post by Buutama42 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:44 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:20 pm
Buutama42 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:27 am

Send a link pls
You can search for it easily on Reddit. I don't wish to link it here.

Jamtia

Post by Jamtia » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:52 am

Maybe kinda what Kai did with Z. Cut some of the meat around the edges. Though the US airing of GT back then already did that when they made the first 16 episodes or so the lost episodes.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:47 pm

TheFallenProfit wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:03 pm No because they would ruin all of the great ideas and concepts Gt introduced, if they do anything related to Gt I'd rather them do a series during the 100 year timeskip, there are a lot of creative ideas and unique situations they could come up with since it's left almost completely open ended.
I can see Toei ruining GT if they did it nowadays, but I don't see Toyotaro ruining GT. If Toyotaro does GT first and Toei just follows Toyotaro, then most likely it would turn out good.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:23 pm

If there was a remake, the Evil Dragons arc would need to be changed so I the first half of it wouldn’t just feel like a monster of the week story. Also, maybe make Baby a bit more complex. I’m not saying to make him sympathetic. I’m fine with him being an irredeemable bastard, but give him more of an ideology beyond simply wanting to conquer the universe. Maybe have him try to justify his actions by arguing that free will is evil, since the Saiyans used their free will to kill the Tsufurians.