Would you like to see a GT remake?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Would you like to see a GT remake?

Post by Kappa » Thu May 13, 2021 9:11 pm

Would you guys like it if Toriyama/Toyotaro reimagined GT after Super ends? Why/why not?

I personally like GT as it is, but I think some of the concepts in it could have been executed better. So I'd be all for it.

(If you want, you can also list changes you'd like them to make).

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Would you like to see a GT remake?

Post by Peach » Thu May 13, 2021 9:32 pm

Yes.

But instead of a series, I want it as a set of movies. It would have top notch voice directing and great pacing, without all the "fluff" that GT had.

Baby, Hell on Earth, Super 17, Shadow Dragons, and Super Saiyan 4 are all GREAT concepts.

Hell on Earth is one thing that interests me immensely. Imagine if Zarbon, Dodoria, the Ginyu Force, King Cold, Cell, Dr. Gero, Pui Pui, Yakon, Dabura, Nappa, Raditz, and Babidi just all left Earth and the Dragon Ball universe opened up. Dragon Ball could have a dedicated "rogues gallery" and sandbox that any future creator could play with.

And i want to see how Toriyama would write Uub and Pan.
Last edited by Peach on Thu May 13, 2021 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu May 13, 2021 9:33 pm

Matsui Aya deserves revenge!

Also, pair her with someone like Kamatani or Ishitani and let them give us a new kind of Dragon Ball and a new kind of GT!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Thu May 13, 2021 9:36 pm

Sure. 2 separate cannons, god cannon, gt cannon. Super does its own thing and GT does its own thing. Kind of like what we have now but GT done better. So yeah go nuts.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu May 13, 2021 10:43 pm

No thanks. I would rather see new original stories and not remakes/reboots of other older stories.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kappa » Fri May 14, 2021 12:13 am

Peach wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:32 pm Yes.

But instead of a series, I want it as a set of movies. It would have top notch voice directing and great pacing, without all the "fluff" that GT had.

Baby, Hell on Earth, Super 17, Shadow Dragons, and Super Saiyan 4 are all GREAT concepts.

Hell on Earth is one thing that interests me immensely. Imagine if Zarbon, Dodoria, the Ginyu Force, King Cold, Cell, Dr. Gero, Pui Pui, Yakon, Dabura, Nappa, Raditz, and Babidi just all left Earth and the Dragon Ball universe opened up. Dragon Ball could have a dedicated "rogues gallery" and sandbox that any future creator could play with.

A set of films would be awesome!

&Yeah GT is full of great concepts. I would love to see all of the ones you listed incorporated into canon. Especially Super 17 and SS4.

& That would be interesting for sure. I hope we get to see Toriyama's take on them someday.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri May 14, 2021 2:14 am

I'd be all over it, partly because it would be nice to see anything before or after the Z era get any love, and of course the potential GT had with the stories it told.

If it was done as a series of movies or in a seasonal anime format, and TOEI could miraculously bring Tokunaga back to do a new score a GT remake could be something truly special.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri May 14, 2021 4:59 am

This is a waste of time in my opinion. GT is clearly a story that Toriyama did NOT want to tell, he even said that he wasn't interested in telling stories beyond End of Z. Why make Toriyama do something that he doesn't want to do?

It's one thing to remake Broly (a single villain who appears before End of Z), it's another to remake an entire sequel set post-End of Z.

jonah hex

Post by jonah hex » Fri May 14, 2021 5:45 am

Peach wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:32 pm .
Imagine if Zarbon, Dodoria, the Ginyu Force, King Cold, Cell, Dr. Gero, Pui Pui, Yakon, Dabura, Nappa, Raditz, and Babidi just all left Earth and the Dragon Ball universe opened up. Dragon Ball could have a dedicated "rogues gallery" and sandbox that any future creator could play with.

Can' t happend, when you are dead for one year your soul get reincarnated and you become new person (Like Kid Buu to Uub with one little exception to give him Buu powers too because Goku ask for it).
Goku never got reincarnated because they allow him to keep his body for all good he did in his life, and Frieza because they couldn't cleanse him so they decide to put him in his version of hell for eternity.

About Uub and Pan part - they already in DBS.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri May 14, 2021 8:07 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:59 am This is a waste of time in my opinion. GT is clearly a story that Toriyama did NOT want to tell, he even said that he wasn't interested in telling stories beyond End of Z. Why make Toriyama do something that he doesn't want to do?

It's one thing to remake Broly (a single villain who appears before End of Z), it's another to remake an entire sequel set post-End of Z.
He did? Aw, then my interest in "modern" Dragon Ball got to zero, as i was waiting to resume after they got past End of Z :(

And yes, i would, while Super is terrible, full of stupid retcons, and it made characters act like idiots, GT had it's share of problems too, but it they could be fixed.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri May 14, 2021 9:22 am

I would like Gt to get remade, for one thing we might get to see Super Saiyan 4 God. Super Saiyan 4 God would make Super Saiyan 4 look different but more powerful with a awesome aura.

Super Saiyan God while the design is simple and Super Saiyan Blue is literally Super Saiyan 1 but in blue which was pathetic SSB, I think its aura is really good. Combine Super Saiyan + God Ki + Oozaru + evolution to Super Saiyan 4 that would give the best design and power. Then there is Ultra Instinct, imagine Super Saiyan 4 God Ultra Instinct.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri May 14, 2021 9:25 am

coola wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:07 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:59 am This is a waste of time in my opinion. GT is clearly a story that Toriyama did NOT want to tell, he even said that he wasn't interested in telling stories beyond End of Z. Why make Toriyama do something that he doesn't want to do?

He did? Aw, then my interest in "modern" Dragon Ball got to zero, as i was waiting to resume after they got past End of Z :(

And yes, i would, while Super is terrible, full of stupid retcons, and it made characters act like idiots, GT had it's share of problems too, but it they could be fixed.
He said that he didn't want to go past End of Z because then the protagonists would get too old. That's why Super takes place as a midquel between the Buu saga and End of Z saga, when Goku is still middle-aged and not old.

He also said that he envisioned the End of Z as the definitive ending to Goku's battles and his generation:
How did you feel as you were drawing the final portions of the series?
The Artificial Human and Cell story arc was pretty rough… I guess you could say I did all I could with Freeza, so I was burned out, and figured I couldn’t pull off a better battle than that. I thought, “Do I really have to keep going?” Even when Cell ended, it still didn’t feel like it could end. So before the Boo story arc began, I said “Once this next thing wraps up, I want to end it no matter what.” Because I thought there was no way for any stronger guys to pop up, or for Goku to get any stronger than he already was. So my starting point for the Boo arc was, “This is the end, so I’m going to draw whatever I want!” I always liked dumb gags, so I made things comical, with the Great Saiyaman and Gotenks and whatnot. It wasn’t until immediately before the final chapter that I thought up the ending. I needed something that would signal this truly was the end, so I jumped forward ten years… But I didn’t count on the series continuing in anime form11, so I bet it was really rough on everyone over at the anime company. (laughs)

When the kanzenban came out several years later, I added a bit more to the ending.10 I thought that somehow it just didn’t click. I wanted to make it more clear that Goku’s battles were over, and that a new generation was taking over.
https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... interview/

Ultimately going beyond End of Z is not what the author wants, he wouldn't be interested in writing a sequel like GT.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri May 14, 2021 9:30 am

Toriyama wrote Dragon Ball Online and that is many years after EOZ, Toriyama chose to ignore GT in DBO. If Toriyama wrote DBO, then why would Toriyama be against going after EOZ for the anime and manga.

Couldn't Toriyama write that the Z fighter accidently fell into a fountain of youth, which reverted the Z fighter back to their prime age or are kids again.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri May 14, 2021 9:36 am

super michael wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:30 am Toriyama wrote Dragon Ball Online and that is many years after EOZ, Toriyama chose to ignore GT in DBO. If Toriyama wrote DBO, then why would Toriyama be against going after EOZ for the anime and manga.

Couldn't Toriyama write that the Z fighter accidently fell into a fountain of youth, which reverted the Z fighter back to their prime age or are kids again.
Because people loved when GT turned Goku back into a kid :lol:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri May 14, 2021 9:39 am

No.

GT is already better than 90% of official Dragon Ball output since it ended. A remake would most likely turn out worse (especially in the animation, music, and characterisation departments). The original was already okay, and in its best moments, it acted as a perfect sendoff for the franchise after it had long since run its course, so I'd really, really rather not see a cynical remake fail to capture the original spirit in an ill-conceived attempt to keep the wheels on this franchise spinning 25 years after it should have ended.

It would be everything that wasn't interesting about Kai mixed with everything that didn't work about Super, but with the added stigma of being an adaptation of GT, the fandom's punching bag. (And holy fuck, imagine what it would do to the discourse; every criticism would be deflected with "yeah but it's still better than GT", even moreso than with Super)

Even if the team assembled for a GT remake was capable of doing something very good with it (say, if it was done as movies using the team behind Broly), then my answer is still no, because I'd rather that team make new stuff instead! GT already exists, it's old news. 25-year-old news. Give me something new and fresh for goodness sake.

I don't object to GT's transformations, characters, and many of its concepts being recycled to make new things, much like how the new Broly movie used the concept and characters behind the original movie but used it to tell a new story. In fact, if the next movie introduced Super Saiyan 4, I'd be pretty giddy (provided the movie itself was good, and the transformation was introduced well). But a wholesale "Remake" of GT? Hell fucking no. Not now, not in a thousand years. Never. It's a terrible idea.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri May 14, 2021 10:27 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:36 am
super michael wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:30 am Toriyama wrote Dragon Ball Online and that is many years after EOZ, Toriyama chose to ignore GT in DBO. If Toriyama wrote DBO, then why would Toriyama be against going after EOZ for the anime and manga.

Because people loved when GT turned Goku back into a kid :lol:
I never understood why people hated that Goku was turned into a kid. For me when Pilaf made a accidental wish, I was surprise Pilaf blew his wish on making Goku a kid by accident.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri May 14, 2021 12:23 pm

I'd be on board if they could find a way to nerf Goku via Pilaf's wish without turning him into a child/changing his appearance. Something like that one Super ep where he couldn't access his power.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Mr. Slump

Post by Mr. Slump » Fri May 14, 2021 1:02 pm

Wouldn’t mind it, but I don’t see the point quite frankly.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri May 14, 2021 1:40 pm

Mr. Slump wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:02 pm Wouldn’t mind it, but I don’t see the point quite frankly.
One simple answer it would be a huge improvement, seeing that Toyotaro would be involved. While Toyotaro isn't perfect and does questionable writing, it is leagues beyond than when Toei does something alone.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri May 14, 2021 2:02 pm

Ehhhhh. Here's the problem - what story in GT is compelling enough to be worth retelling, what character is compelling enough for an updated depiction, what fight is compelling enough to warrant a serious production/choreography makeover?

In my opinion, absolutely nothing worthwhile came out of GT except the SSJ4 form, and that doesn't need any of GT's baggage to revisit.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃