Masako Nozawa and Brigitte Lecordier (Kid Goku/Gohan/Goten's French Voice Actress) Dub A Scene Together

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Masako Nozawa and Brigitte Lecordier (Kid Goku/Gohan/Goten's French Voice Actress) Dub A Scene Together

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu May 13, 2021 11:04 pm

I feel kinda lame posting this because neither my Japanese nor my French is good enough to completely comprehend what's being said...but I get the gist of it, and it's pretty cool!

At a convention panel called "We Are Goku!" with with Sean Schemmel and Masako Nozawa, one of the questions Nozawa was asked was if she had ever met another voice actor for Goku before Schemmel. She said that she had met Goku's French voice actress, Brigitte Lecordier (who also dubbed Gohan and Goten when they were children). She didn't really elaborate beyond that....but, I think I may have uncovered the context behind that meeting. Apparently, in 1991, Nozawa and Lecordier appeared on a Japanese TV show together. Purely for entertainment value, they both dubbed a scene from Dragon Ball Z together at the same time!

What's cool is that both used their own respective methods for dubbing. Nozawa dubbed purely off of the timecodes and the visuals, and Lecordier dubbed using the rhythmo-band, a sort of "karaoke-style" method of dubbing invented in France where the dub actor's script scrolls from right to left in conjunction with the visuals, and the actor speaks as the text of their dialogue passes through a vertical line.

If somebody with better knowledge of Japanese (or heck, even French) can elaborate more on what's shown in this clip, please do, as I'd love to understand the specifics more. Even without any elaboration, though, I thought it was pretty fun to watch! You can watch it here.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

TobyS
I Live Here

Re: Masako Nozawa and Brigitte Lecordier (Kid Goku/Gohan/Goten's French Voice Actress) Dub A Scene Together

Post by TobyS » Fri May 14, 2021 10:27 am

Weird how the two languages kinda work I guess they just both convey the characters feelings.

Perhaps it'd be weird if I spoke one language and not the other.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Re: Masako Nozawa and Brigitte Lecordier (Kid Goku/Gohan/Goten's French Voice Actress) Dub A Scene Together

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri May 14, 2021 11:31 am

That's cool to see! Especially with both dubbing styles. Have done both types personally myself so it's mind blowing to see them done in conjunction with each other. It gives the clip a Tekken feel with them speaking different languages but actually responding to each other.