Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 71 - DBZ 154-158

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 71 - DBZ 154-158

Post by Robo4900 » Fri May 14, 2021 9:10 pm

Hello, ladies, gentlemen, and everyone between and beyond, and welcome to week 71 of the first Dragon Ball rewatch of the decade.
We're doing five episodes a week, and we'll be watching every single episode of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT. All 508 episodes. Plus the TV specials and the movies.
I encourage you all to watch in Japanese with subtitles, especially if you have never done so before, but watch along in whichever way brings you the most joy.

The most delayed rewatch thread so far! Hopefully a record I won't beat anytime soon.

In fairness, I'm gearing up for exams and KBABZ is still working on the Mass Effect guide, so it's just me working on this, and I'm very busy. So, pity me and think of how I slaved over a hot keyboard to bring you this thread. :P

Previous thread: Week 70 (DBZ 149-153)
Next thread: Week 72 (DBZ 159-163)

Anyway, enough half-assed snark...

Episode 307 - I’ll Finish Everything!! A Reborn Vegeta, Father and Son, Sally Forth (DBZ episode 154)
Dub title: Saiyans Emerge
Originally aired 26th of August 1992

Kai equivalent: Episode 76 - Tenshinhan’s Do-or-Die Shin Kikōhō! Save Your Brother-in-Arms, Son Goku, Episode 77 - Super Saiyan Surpassed! The Daring Vegeta Strikes Cell
Written by: Hiroshi Toda
Episode director: Mitsuo Hashimoto
Animation supervisor: Minoru Maeda

Trunks and Vegeta have finally finished their training in the Room of Spirit and Time. Having powered up, the two of them change into the battle armor that Bulma has brought, and fly off from God’s temple in order to defeat Cell and the artificial humans. Fleeing from Cell, No. 18 and 16 hide themselves in one of many islands, but Cell begins completely destroying these islands. Meanwhile, Goku and Gohan eat until they are full, then at last begin their training in the Room of Spirit and Time.

Anime-only/filler content: Karin's brief appearance, a conversation between Androids 16 and 18, Goku and Gohan eating before entering The Room Of Spirit And Time.

Episode 308 - Suddenly Full-Throttle!! The Radiant Vegeta’s Super Power (DBZ episode 155)
Dub title: Super Vegeta
Originally aired 2nd of September 1992

Kai equivalent: Episode 77 - Super Saiyan Surpassed! The Daring Vegeta Strikes Cell
Written by: Sumio Uetake
Episode director: Jun’ichi Fujise
Animation supervisor: Kazuya Hisada

Cell’s attacks close in on the island where No. 18 and 16 are hiding. As No. 18 goes pale, No. 16 tells her not to move. Since Cell’s objective is to absorb No. 18, even if he attacks he should definitely spare at least No. 18. Meanwhile, having entered the Room of Spirit and Time, Gohan is overwhelmed by its harsh environment. Goku tells Gohan that he wants Gohan to surpass him. Vegeta appears before Cell, and transforms into a super-powered form! He hammers Cell’s body with an intense blow.

Anime-only/filler content: A brief exchange between Bulma and Piccolo.

Episode 309 - On Your Knees, Cell! I am Super Vegeta!! (DBZ episode 156)
Dub title: Bow to the Prince
Originally aired 9th of September 1992

Kai equivalent: Episode 77 - Super Saiyan Surpassed! The Daring Vegeta Strikes Cell
Written by: Sumio Uetake
Episode director: Shigeyasu Yamauchi
Animation supervisor: Masayuki Uchiyama

Cell takes an unexpected amount of damage from Vegeta’s blow. After training in the Room of Spirit and Time, Vegeta has become strong enough to easily handle Cell’s counterattacks. Even Kuririn is shocked at Vegeta’s power, having arrived at the scene after taking the artificial humans’ emergency stop controller from Bulma. Cell finally fights with his power to full throttle, but even this power has no effect on Vegeta. Before a astonished Cell, Vegeta calls himself “Super Vegeta”.

Anime-only/filler content: Trunks describing his time in the Room Of Spirit And Time, Bulma, Ten, and Piccolo commentating on Vegeta vs Cell, Gohan just barely managing to go Super Saiyan for an instant, extensions to Vegeta vs Cell.

Episode 310 - Dangerous Pride!! A Challenge to Cell’s Perfect Form (DBZ episode 157)
Dub title: Hour of Temptation
Originally aired 16th of September 1992

Kai equivalent: Episode 78 - Cell’s Surging Resentment! Kuririn, Destroy No. 18
Written by: Takao Koyama
Episode director: Yoshihiro Ueda
Animation supervisor: Tadayoshi Yamamuro

Cell musters all of his power and attacks Vegeta, but even these attacks don’t hit Vegeta, who begins to knock Cell around. Cell can’t believe the extreme gap between their powers. Displaying his overwhelming power, Vegeta looks down upon Cell as not even being worth killing. With no hand left to play, and with his pride shattered, all Cell can do is complain that he would definitely not lose if he were to reach his perfect form.

Anime-only/filler content: Cell using the Galic Gun against Vegeta, Gohan waking up from a dream about going Super Saiyan and watching Goku train, the cutaway to Chaozu at Kame House, more extensions to Vegeta vs Cell.

Episode 311 - I’m So Distraught!! Kuririn’s Handiwork in Destroying No. 18 (DBZ episode 158)
Dub title: Krillin's Decision
Originally aired 23rd of September 1992

Kai equivalent: Episode 78 - Cell’s Surging Resentment! Kuririn, Destroy No. 18, Episode 79 - And So, The Situation Takes a Turn for the Worst… Cell Attacks No. 18!
Written by: Takao Koyama
Episode director: Mitsuo Hashimoto
Animation supervisor: Yukio Ebisawa

As Cell says that he wouldn’t lose if he were to reach his perfect form, Vegeta’s fighting spirit stirs. Cell uses the Saiyan instinct to seek strong opponents to stir up Vegeta. Meanwhile, having discovered No. 16 and 18, Kuririn approaches them with the emergency stop controller. But Kuririn has fallen in love with No. 18 and smashes the controller, telling the two to run away. Vegeta finally lets Cell go. Fleeing through the air, Cell discovers No. 18 and 16 hidden in the woods.

Anime-only/filler content: Goku and Gohan having a bath.

-

Interesting trivia:
  • At this point in time in the manga, Cell explains to Trunks why the bulky ascended Saiyan transformation is stupid and worthless, and he decides to hold the Cell Games, and broadcasts it to the world. Gohan and Goku emerge from the Room of Spirit and Time, Goku says hi to Cell, and decides to chil out for a while after he gets back.
  • When Cell is calling out Android 18, we see a shot of a guy with a T-shirt saying "The Super Saiyan" in English.
  • In Z episode 154, Vegeta explains that pure-blooded Saiyan hair doesn't ever change throughout their life. This does explain Goku's unchanging hair, but it doesn't explain why Vegeta's hair was a bit different when he was a kid.
  • One controversial script difference between the Funimation and Ocean dubs is the scene where Vegeta tauntingly tells Cell how he got so strong. In Funi's version he says "I do a lot of push-ups and sit-ups, and I drink plenty of juice." In the Ocean version, he says "I do a lot of push-ups and sit-ups, and I drink plenty of milk." Personally, I think milk sounds funnier and Brian Drummond's delivery was way better too, so surprising precisely nobody, I prefer the Ocean version. :P
  • There are 9 redrawn shots each in Kai episodes 77 and 78.
Episode summaries, airdates, and titles courtesy of Kanzenshuu's episode guide. Dragon Ball logo provided by KBABZ.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Thu May 20, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 71 - DBZ 154-158 (CURRENT WEEK)

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat May 15, 2021 9:39 pm

We went from Karin Tower is so high no jet plane can reach it and Kami’s Lookout is even higher and requires Nyoi Bo to get there from Karin’s tower to Bulma can just fly up to the Lookout on her jet in a jiffy, huh?

I bet all the shots of the Nyoi Bo between Karin tower and the Lookout made Toei feel sheepish they showed the Nyoi Bo on Goku’s person multiple times since it was first connected. Like “oh yeah that was a thing “ heck even the Garlic Jr arc had Karin using it as a bargaining chip for poker, go figure.

Goku in Saiyan armor is a cool look.

I wonder if the “I do push up sits up and drink plenty of milk/juice” was the milk version to begin with and Sabat made a last second change? Seems Funimation made a lot of last minute changes given how often Ocean would air earlier versions of the edits.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue May 18, 2021 10:34 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:39 pm We went from Karin Tower is so high no jet plane can reach it and Kami’s Lookout is even higher and requires Nyoi Bo to get there from Karin’s tower to Bulma can just fly up to the Lookout on her jet in a jiffy, huh?
Yeah.

Stuff like this has always bothered me. Toriyama really likes coming up with really cool mythology and then either ignoring it or making it completely irrelevant very soon after.
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:39 pm I wonder if the “I do push up sits up and drink plenty of milk/juice” was the milk version to begin with and Sabat made a last second change? Seems Funimation made a lot of last minute changes given how often Ocean would air earlier versions of the edits.
It does seem likely, yes. I definitely get that sort of impression.

It's also possible the line was changed by the director or producer before Sabat recorded it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed May 19, 2021 5:53 am

IMO whether milk or juice is funnier is rather subjective. I think milk is personally but I can see why someone might feel that way about juice instead.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 19, 2021 11:30 am

KBABZ wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:53 am IMO whether milk or juice is funnier is rather subjective. I think milk is personally but I can see why someone might feel that way about juice instead.
Agreed.

Just seems sillier to hear Vegeta say his power comes from drinking plenty of milk.

Honestly, either is a funny taunt line for Cell, but I do think the milk one is funnier.

Also, heads-up to those reading: I do plan on posting the next thread today, but depending on how busy I am, I may not have it finished and posted until later tonight. MIGHT do it tomorrow since this one was two days late, just to ease us back to the original Wednesday reset date rather than jumping straight back, but... Whatever, we'll see. :)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed May 19, 2021 1:23 pm

That's like the second exercise or diet related joke in the old dub, after Goku's "Must be my diet, i eat lots of wholesome foods." while fighting Butta/Burter and Jeice/Jheese and both are laughably ridiculous of course but i bet the script writers thought they would sound funny or cool, well the former is certainly funny in a cringe worthy way while the "Lots of exercise and plenty of juice" line is funny despite being intended to sound cool.

Good point about the Nyoi-Bo, especially considering how in DBZ movies 1 and 2 despite their iffy placement relative to the anime's timeline somehow Goku has it on him in the fights despite the fact that it's connected to Karin's tower and as mentioned there are other instances where it's anywhere other than it should supposedly be.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 19, 2021 1:40 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:23 pm That's like the second exercise or diet related joke in the old dub, after Goku's "Must be my diet, i eat lots of wholesome foods." while fighting Butta/Burter and Jeice/Jheese and both are laughably ridiculous of course but i bet the script writers thought they would sound funny or cool, well the former is certainly funny in a cringe worthy way while the "Lots of exercise and plenty of juice" line is funny despite being intended to sound cool.
The Vegeta one, I've aways seen it as him taunting Cell. It doesn't sound cool, deliberately. He's just laughing and barely taking the fight seriously.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed May 19, 2021 1:48 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:40 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:23 pm That's like the second exercise or diet related joke in the old dub, after Goku's "Must be my diet, i eat lots of wholesome foods." while fighting Butta/Burter and Jeice/Jheese and both are laughably ridiculous of course but i bet the script writers thought they would sound funny or cool, well the former is certainly funny in a cringe worthy way while the "Lots of exercise and plenty of juice" line is funny despite being intended to sound cool.
The Vegeta one, I've aways seen it as him taunting Cell. It doesn't sound cool, deliberately. He's just laughing and barely taking the fight seriously.
I mean, listening to it again you could definitely interpret it like that. As in he's taunting Cell and boasting about his increase in strength now that he's achieved SSJ as well.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)